Need help picking a projector and screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Need help picking a projector and screen

Hi I'm looking to get a projector just for movie watching, I'm looking to spend between $600-700 I was looking at the benq w1070. But looking for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 141
The w1070 is a great PJ , but several years old . Look at the HT2050 , it's a couple generations newer , and I think a solid improvement . It's in your price range , and I think I saw it on sale a couple weeks ago for a lot less . They may start dropping the price because of newer models.

It was like that when I got here
post #3 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe879 View Post
Hi I'm looking to get a projector just for movie watching, I'm looking to spend between $600-700 I was looking at the benq w1070. But looking for any suggestions.
Buy the LG PF1500. Great LED-DLP projector; and in theory, you'll never have to replace a "lamp," along with brightness that doesn't degrade significantly for 20 years. Other LCD and DLP projectors lose it after a couple of years. The PF1500 was on sale until yesterday for $499 at Fry's, so hoping other retailers will follow suit and discount theirs. Paint the wall with Sherwin-Williams ProClassic, Extra White, Satin, Smooth Enamel Finish, # B20 WQ 8051 (about $50).

post #4 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you for those other options I will look them up, I know I'm trying to ask for a lot but I really would like to get one with decent black levels and good detail. Unfortunately I can't have a fixed screen so I need one that I can mount on my drop ceiling, so I can raise and lower when needed.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1839 Post(s)
Liked: 1225
Quote:
Using the projector exclusively for movies helps narrow things down. The next question would be what level of quality will you be viewing? If viewing high quality content like Blu-ray and 1080p streaming you might want to consider a higher resolution projector. If viewing lower quality content like DVDs and low-rez streaming then a lower resolution model might work.

Anther key question includes whether you plan to view only in the dark or if you also want to have some ambient light in the room? Front projection is at its best in the dark and the image becomes more and more compromised with more ambient light in the room. For use in ambient light brighter projector models are required.

It's also important to know if you have a rough idea of how large an image you want? Since TV screens have become so much larger many people consider a 100" image to be the minimum size where front projection starts having a wow factor over TV. Along those lines do you plan to buy a screen or just project on a plain painted wall?

Since different projectors produce different size images from different distances another piece of information needed is how far you can mount the projector from the screen. If close then a shorter throw model may be appropriate and if further away a longer throw model will be best.

Finally, have you given any thought on whether you want to place the projector low on a table near level with the bottom of the screen or high on the ceiling or on the back wall near level with the top of the screen?

Answering all of the above questions will quickly narrow down which of the literally hundreds of different projector models might work best for you.

EDIT: I see after posting that you've just said you want to use a pull-down screen.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Quote:
Using the projector exclusively for movies helps narrow things down. The next question would be what level of quality will you be viewing? If viewing high quality content like Blu-ray and 1080p streaming you might want to consider a higher resolution projector. If viewing lower quality content like DVDs and low-rez streaming then a lower resolution model might work.

Anther key question includes whether you plan to view only in the dark or if you also want to have some ambient light in the room? Front projection is at its best in the dark and the image becomes more and more compromised with more ambient light in the room. For use in ambient light brighter projector models are required.

It's also important to know if you have a rough idea of how large an image you want? Since TV screens have become so much larger many people consider a 100" image to be the minimum size where front projection starts having a wow factor over TV. Along those lines do you plan to buy a screen or just project on a plain painted wall?

Since different projectors produce different size images from different distances another piece of information needed is how far you can mount the projector from the screen. If close then a shorter throw model may be appropriate and if further away a longer throw model will be best.

Finally, have you given any thought on whether you want to place the projector low on a table near level with the bottom of the screen or high on the ceiling or on the back wall near level with the top of the screen?

Answering all of the above questions will quickly narrow down which of the literally hundreds of different projector models might work best for you.

EDIT: I see after posting that you've just said you want to use a pull-down screen.
I think the minimum I would like to go with the screen would be 90inches, I would like for it to come down from the ceiling and sit right above my center channel speaker that sits a little lower under my entertainment center. It will be used for night viewing in a dark room so lighting would t be an issue, and all the content I would be watching would be 720p-1080p. And as far as placing the projector I was thinking of either placing it on a stand in the rear corner of the room or wall mounting it.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 345
If your not allergic to used stuff, and you aren't a super heavy user (as in hours and hours every day), you might want to take a look some of the used JVC's out there. You would only need to up your budget by $50 to $200, but the difference in contrast for movies at night would be huge.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

post #8 of 19 Old 02-18-2017, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so I narrowed it down to these 3 in no particular order, viewsonic pjd7720hd- optoma hd142x- benq w1070. Which one would be the better choice I'm a newbie to this so to me they all sound good lol
post #9 of 19 Old 02-18-2017, 10:49 AM

Out of those 3, the w1070, but the ht2050 is quieter for another $100. If you are on a very strict budget and you are a big gamer, also consider your lamp costs.

If I were you, I'd buy used in this budget instead of new, but I understand some do not wish to take that risk. You can just get so much more in the used market, a JVC RS-45 is like $700 to $800, and the contrast is literally 20x higher.

That said, the w1070 is a decent choice, just don't expect miracles for black levels and SCI FI viewing.

post #10 of 19 Old 02-18-2017, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Out of those 3, the w1070, but the ht2050 is quieter for another $100. If you are on a very strict budget and you are a big gamer, also consider your lamp costs.

If I were you, I'd buy used in this budget instead of new, but I understand some do not wish to take that risk. You can just get so much more in the used market, a JVC RS-45 is like $700 to $800, and the contrast is literally 20x higher.

That said, the w1070 is a decent choice, just don't expect miracles for black levels and SCI FI viewing.
Yeah I do watch a lot of sci fi movies, I would not be gaming on the projector movies only. And I'm trying be be in the ballpark $800 with projector and screen if possible. What models would you suggest to look for used?
post #11 of 19 Old 02-18-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah I do watch a lot of sci fi movies, I would not be gaming on the projector movies only. And I'm trying be be in the ballpark $800 with projector and screen if possible. What models would you suggest to look for used?
The JVC RS-45 (x30) or the RS-46 (x35). There are 2 models for each unit, the x30 and the RS-45 are the same projector, and the RS-46 and x35 are the same. The RS-46 is better slightly, but it is probably out of your budget. Even a JVC RS-40 (x3) would be good, if you find one of those around $600 - $650 or so.

Keep in mind the older JVC's are NOT good at 3D movies, but they are great at 2D.

Also keep in mind that there is a lot more placement flexibility with a JVC, and you get motorized controls. There is a risk to buying used, but I think most people that owned JVC's took pretty good care of their projectors, as these were expensive machines in the new market.

For movies only, definitely a JVC, this is where the JVC shines greater than the others, especially SCI FI.

If you want to stick within your budget, keep your eye out for any price drops on a used JVC RS-46, I actually still own an RS-45, I have been debating on selling it, but I just don't want to let it go for $700 to $800 (which is what they are going for). I think it is stupid silly that the RS-45 projector goes for $700 to $800 in the used market, I paid over $3,000 for mine just a few years ago.

The only reason the RS-45's are going for so low, is because of some lamp issues (premature dimming). However, what people don't realize is that most are still getting 1000-2000 hours out of their lamps. Now consider also that you can now buy these lamps pretty cheap, even a Philips one for under $100, or the official one often for under $200.

Last edited by coderguy; 02-18-2017 at 11:37 AM.
post #12 of 19 Old 02-18-2017, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the minimum I would like to go with the screen would be 90inches, I would like for it to come down from the ceiling and sit right above my center channel speaker that sits a little lower under my entertainment center. It will be used for night viewing in a dark room so lighting would t be an issue, and all the content I would be watching would be 720p-1080p. And as far as placing the projector I was thinking of either placing it on a stand in the rear corner of the room or wall mounting it.
Coderguy has given you some good recommendations on used projectors. JVC is the gold standard for black levels but new JVCs cost more than $3,000. A used one could be good for you but with the issue that if a used projector fails there's no warranty and you may lose all your money.

When you mention mounting the projector in a rear corner that sounds like it would mean projecting at an angle. Projectors <$1,000 like the three you mentioned in another post are designed to be centered horizontally on the screen and at a specfic vertical location in relation to the screen, so they can be hard to mount in the ideal location. More expensive projectors like the JVCs have horizontal and vertical lens shift that allow much greater flexibility in mounting location.

Another option to buying used or new is to buy factory refurbished. They come with a factory warranty so if something goes wrong it won't cost you anything to get it fixed under warranty. The best current deal on a factory refurbished projector with horizontal and vertical lens shift is the Epson 8345, which Epson is selling factory direct for just $559. It not only has extensive lens shift but also much greater zoom lens range so it's almost certainly the most flexible projector currently available with a factory warranty for <$1,000. It can't match a JVC for black levels, though, so it's a tradeoff between black levels and factory warranty.

Let me give you a couple of links to check out and see what you think. First, here's a link to the refurbished 8345 on the Epson Clearance Center site:

Epson Clearance Center

Next, here's a link to a recent thread started by someone who just bought a refurbished 8345 and really likes it:

Epson 8345 Refurbished

Assuming you want a manual pull-down screen at a low price, Elite Screens are a cut above the no-name el-cheapos on eBay yet less expensive than more premium brands. If you want at least 90" then 100" is a reasonable size depending on what your viewing distance will be (eyes to screen). At 100" you really begin seeing a big difference in image size over the biggest TV screens.

Depending on personal preference, people would sit from 8'-12' from a 100" screen, so it depends on your room size and personal preference. A new 100" Elite manual pull-down screen can be found at various online vendors new ~$100. So less than $700 for a refurbished Epson 8345 and a new Elite 100" pull-down manual screen.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-18-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Key question: Forgot to ask exactly how far across your room from the projector to the screen? Projectors like the JVC and Epson 8345 require about 1' of throw distance (measured from lens to screen) for each 10" of screen diagonal, so 10' throw for a 100" image, 9' for 90", etc. So your room would need to be at least 12' across for a 100" image, 11' across for a 90" image, etc.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-18-2017, 02:23 PM

You can still add a Square Trade warranty to a used projector I believe, but you'd have to double check.

post #15 of 19 Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Key question: Forgot to ask exactly how far across your room from the projector to the screen? Projectors like the JVC and Epson 8345 require about 1' of throw distance (measured from lens to screen) for each 10" of screen diagonal, so 10' throw for a 100" image, 9' for 90", etc. So your room would need to be at least 12' across for a 100" image, 11' across for a 90" image, etc.

I believe it will be like 12ft give or take from the screen.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-19-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Bang for the buck screen:

1. Sheetrock screen

2. Blackout fabric

3. Parkland plastics
post #17 of 19 Old 02-19-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, from ~12' lens to screen a used JVC or refurbished Epson 8345 will have no problem throwing a 90"-100" image. For most of the new projectors in your price range they would need to be a little closer to 10' to throw a 90"-100" image. However there are a few that might work in the 11'-12' range. And, as mentioned earlier, they would not have lens shift and would need to be mounted in a very specific location with little flexibility.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
OK, from ~12' lens to screen a used JVC or refurbished Epson 8345 will have no problem throwing a 90"-100" image. For most of the new projectors in your price range they would need to be a little closer to 10' to throw a 90"-100" image. However there are a few that might work in the 11'-12' range. And, as mentioned earlier, they would not have lens shift and would need to be mounted in a very specific location with little flexibility.
I see so maybe I should look for one with a short throw? And one that has functions that if I use it on a table on the corner of the room I can fix the screen?
post #19 of 19 Old 02-22-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure what you mean about using the projector in a corner. Projectors without lens shift are designed to be centered horizontally on the screen and projecting at a 90 degree angle to the screen. Projectors with lens shift allow the projector to be a little off center horizontally but not way off in a corner at a 45 degree angle to the screen. Also, no short throw projector models have any lens shift.

The best short throw projector <$1,000 is the BenQ HT2150ST, which would need to have its lens between 5' and 6' from the screen and centered on the screen. But it is a little out of your price range at $999. The best short throw model in your price range is the Optoma GT1080, which would need to have its lens exactly 3' 7" from a 100" screen because it has a fixed lens with no zoom and you increase or decrease image size by moving the whole projector forward or backward.

Either of those two short throw projectors could be mounted on a low table with their lenses centered horizontally on the screen and with the centers of their lenses a few inches lower than the bottom of the screen's image area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page