Closed Thread

post #91 of 107 Old 07-04-2003, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mupl,

yes I understand what you're reporting. reviewers have commented on the brightness uniformity issue but haven't declared it a Big Problem, to my knowledge.

So I wonder what's different about your situation ... could you post pictures of this phenomenon in action?

what are you using for a screen?

what is the location of light fixtures in the room, in relation to the screen ?

humor me: while holding the X1 upside down, check where the bright spots are. do they change location or not?

can you post some pictures of your theater? -- I'm trying to see if some environmental factor could be adding to your problem.

Mark

Experienced Novice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 Old 07-04-2003, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mpilon
mupl,
yes I understand what you're reporting. reviewers have commented on the brightness uniformity issue but haven't declared it a Big Problem, to my knowledge.
I'm trying to see if some environmental factor could be adding to your problem.
Mark
Mark,
You know how a glass can be half-full or half-empty....
I think the problem here is not enviromental.
It is a clear case of unreasonable expectations based on wishful thinking and disappointment with reality and life in general.
I think at this point it is clear that it will be impossible to make mupi happy. Therefore we may as well quit trying as it is becoming increasingly frustrating :confused:
post #93 of 107 Old 07-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

yah. I tend to lose it w/ some of these absolutist 'XYZ is terrible' posts. I started looking at projectors about 1-1/2 years ago and the justification I was going to use to pop for the mitsu XD200 was that it was as expensive as the better RPTVs ... but I held off buying.

Since then, the X1 (and a few others) have come on the scene and now we can spend $1K and get a distinctly better and bigger image than what we'ld have paid $3K - $5K for not too long ago. Most of us understand this, and that setting up a front-PJ theater takes a little work and education.

I'll devote my energy to helping those who have questions and problems and who are really looking for improvements or solutions, rather than those who'll never be satisfied. The problem is that the noise generated by those few drowns out the good news about these projectors.

later,

Mark

Experienced Novice
post #94 of 107 Old 07-04-2003, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I must be losing it, piesek. When I posted that question to you I thought I had read that you said you were using a pulldown High Power. That's why I asked.
I just re-read your post and see that you said matte white and not High Power. Don't know why I misread it before (hope I'm not getting senile).
But anyway, now I really will want to try the filter.

p.s. to Flooper, The High Power is a whole lot better hot spot wise than some of those earlier design high gain screens. But it unquestionably does exhibit color shift. If you have one and want to see this, just keep your eyes on the picture while you move about 3 or 4 feet left of center and then 3 or 4 feet right of center. As you change your position, you will have no trouble seeing the colors change.
post #95 of 107 Old 07-04-2003, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I may have to take that back, Flooper. I just realized that I'm so used to the High Power color shifting but it's been with my CRT projectors. I haven't shot the X1 onto it for more than a half hour so it may not be the case with a one lens pj. Don't know.
post #96 of 107 Old 07-04-2003, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
mpilon:

Just that I am more sensitive and my tolerance level is low (especially when I have spent $1000 no matter how cheap 1000 is in the PJ world).

My screen is 47in wide which is not small compared to piesek's 56 in wide screen. I am using Jo-Ann facric blackout cloth well stretched and well taped with borders all the way up to 2.35. I have also tried a 2x2 high contrast matte white piece (just taped over the screen to see the difference). I got it from my friend. It certainly increases black level but as I said before it increases the black of the entire image so the relative brightness difference is still there.

No lights are turned on. Room is pretty black even during day time.

To kill your curiosity and also mine I turned the PJ up side down. Guess what the birghtness issue shifted to the uppper right corner as expected. So now are you convinced that it is not just environmental issue.

Now that I have masked all the way up to 2.35 and also used a wooden plank to cut the lower bar further and also with high contrast matte white I have come a long way. perhaps if the filter tweak gets rid of the remaining
brightness nonuniformity I will be a happy camper. Time will tell.

piesek: if you place the filter over the lens and if you turn the filter wont the PJ get defocussed as the focus adjistment is very sensitive and gets defocussed at the slightest turn. So how did you mount your filter.
can I get a oversized filter and just place it infront of the lens using some kind of stand. have to think about the stand. May be I will just make a groove on foam and insert the oversized filter. Will head to the store tomorrow. Will see if I can just borrow one and return it.
post #97 of 107 Old 07-04-2003, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Will see if I can just borrow one and return it
I may just have to relinquish my title, mupi. I think I could learn a few tricks from you. :D
It's too bad Walmart doesn't carry linear polarizers. I "borrow" stuff from them all the time. Easiest outfit in the country to do a return. :D
post #98 of 107 Old 07-04-2003, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
I may just have to relinquish my title, mupi. I think I could learn a few tricks from you. :D
It's too bad Walmart doesn't carry linear polarizers. I "borrow" stuff from them all the time. Easiest outfit in the country to do a return. :D
Actually I meant some old filter like the display unit. I feel bad when I return things. so i try my best not to. that is the reason why i am bothering you people about my x1 :-)
post #99 of 107 Old 07-04-2003, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

"My screen is 47in wide which is not small compared to piesek's 56 in wide screen. "

[pardon the pun, but a light just went on. all size ratios below assume a 4:3 aspect but you can do the math to figure 16:9 ...]

Actually, for the brightness uniformity issue, it is a big difference. piesek's screen is 1.42 times larger than yours -- and I'm guessing that the brightness difference between your screen and his (assuming same gain) is that your difference is 1.42 times his.

[ I'm betting the extra brightness is an absolute quantity of 'extra' light in one place / pattern. the smaller screen you show it on, the more pronounced the effect. ]

piesek may not see (or care about) the difference because it's 1/1.42 that of your difference ... roughly only 70% as great as you see it. I don't see it at all but my screen is 2.8 times the size of yours -- my too-bright spots are spread over 2.8 times the area and so are less noticible.

try shooting a 65" to 70" wide image. I outta get paid for this stuff ...

Mark

Experienced Novice
post #100 of 107 Old 07-04-2003, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpilon
[B I outta get paid for this stuff ...

Mark [/b]
well thats what this forum is for: free tips and tricks. One day you might also be in my position! I shall try a larger image. Needs some work as I have to redo all the masking etc and ofcourse longer cables. This break was meant to be spent on X1 so might as well do it tomorrow.
post #101 of 107 Old 07-04-2003, 11:54 PM

mupi,
You may want to check my newest thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=277024
piesek
post #102 of 107 Old 07-05-2003, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

When I do demo's people see rainbows in some screens and not others. Filters... maybe it will work... if you have the wrong screen. Maybe you don't require one with the right screen.

Heh piesek... congrats on BC getting the olympics in 2010... BC should have a great time showcasing your beautiful province. Make sure we dont pay for the olympics... like Montreal... we are still paying taxes repaying for that fiasco.
post #103 of 107 Old 07-05-2003, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Re: rainbows and screens.

I think it's evident that when a screen reflects more light then the rainbow color flashes will be brighter. And when they are brighter they are more easily seen. I know that sounds like saying sugar is sweet and salt is salty.
But sometimes we tend to overlook the obvious.

BUT, I've been going back and forth between my High Power and matte white. And I'm finding the rainbow difference between the two to be more subtle than I once thought. If I felt I needed a brighter picture (which I don't) I wouldn't eliminate the High Power because of rainbow.

Bob
post #104 of 107 Old 07-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood

p.s. to Flooper, The High Power is a whole lot better hot spot wise than some of those earlier design high gain screens. But it unquestionably does exhibit color shift. If you have one and want to see this, just keep your eyes on the picture while you move about 3 or 4 feet left of center and then 3 or 4 feet right of center. As you change your position, you will have no trouble seeing the colors change.
Bob,
I haven't noticed any color shift, but then I haven't really been looking for it. I definitely have not seen any hotspotting...have about 250 hours on the X1 with the Hi Power. I have my unit ceiling mounted, which doesn't give me much added gain if any, which may be why I don't see hotspotting or color shift. I did have the X1 table mounted for about a month, though, and even then I don't recall any hotspotting problems. I loved the picture with the High Power and the table-mounted X1, but had to shift to a ceiling mount setup because of too many small children "adjusting" my X1! :)

mike
post #105 of 107 Old 07-05-2003, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You're right, Flooper. It happens with CRT pj's. Sometimes I forget that I'm using both so need to be more careful not to post something that doesn't apply to the X1.

It happens because the three separate guns and lenses are throwing at different angles. When I'm sitting on the left side of my sofa the whole picture has a reddish tint. And when I sit on the right it has a greenish tint. I don't know why but it only happens with my High Power and not my matte screen. Aren't you glad you're not using a CRT projector? :)

Bob
post #106 of 107 Old 07-05-2003, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mandarax
When I do demo's people see rainbows in some screens and not others. Filters... maybe it will work... if you have the wrong screen. Maybe you don't require one with the right screen.

Heh piesek... congrats on BC getting the olympics in 2010... BC should have a great time showcasing your beautiful province. Make sure we dont pay for the olympics... like Montreal... we are still paying taxes repaying for that fiasco.
Hi Rob,
I agree with the rainbows vs. screen opinion. The filter reduces the lumens -that's all. If you see more rainbows -you need less brightness and you can achieve that with appropriate gain.
My polarizer works for brighness uniformity though, and I'm not sure if you can fix it with a screen :)
About olympics - I think it will be great for business. I'm not sure about just ordinary people. I think we will end-up paying for it just like Montreal did. Here in BC we are always paying for idiotic decisions our governements make all the time. Except that when the time comes to pay the bills today's decision makers will no longer be with us and a new governement will blame the previous one for the fiasco...We've seen that so many times before.

Few billionaires will become multi-billionaires - that's for sure.
One thing I know is that real-estate situation will get even more insane than it already is.
I was going to get a house with a nice basement to finally build a dedicated home theatre in it, but I can afford it less and less -and that is if I could find one. It looks that now I can kiss this dream goodbye... Oh well, I guess small, ordinary people have a little meaning in the big picture of history.
post #107 of 107 Old 07-06-2003, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Piesek.. better get a house now... rent it at Olympic week to some wealthy crazy fisheyed fool for big coin... The foreigners that now own Whistler will benefit by all the new free access roads going into the facility. Alberta I believe is the only Olympic,, winter or summer that didnt lose money I think. Vancouver has enough of the infrastructure in place such that it shouldnt lose money... and should in fact be able to make more than Alberta did.

BTW ... I disagree with your assessment of the small ordinary people having little meaning in history... Take home theater for instance. Which projector is making the industry change?, and is it not the ordinary peoples endorsement that ultimately will make all the industry have to react and adjust.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page