AVS Forum banner

Epson 5010 vs 75in 4k TV help!!!

2K views 52 replies 10 participants last post by  wickedg8gt 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, hope all is good. Haven't been on in a while but hope to start to. I have a question and/or dilemma and would like some opinions or advice on what to do.

My situation is this; my current setup is an Epson 5010 projector on a Carada BW 135in screen. I'm getting ready to move, and my living room/theatre room in the new house is a lot smaller. So I'm going to sell the screen. I can only roughly get about a 100in screen maybe little more or less depending; in the new area. So my dilemma is what to do for a new setup.

If you were me, would you guys use just buy another screen at around 100 inches for the Epson 5010 and still be 1080; OR should I not buy a screen and maybe sell the projector and then just upgrade and buy a new 75in 4k uhdr tv?

Both have pros and cons. But it's basically a big 1080p screen or a new 75in 4k tv with bells and whistles. OPINIONS???

#3 ·
I was thinking that; but if I get a middle of the road 100in Da-Lite or Draper, it'll be around $1000-$1100 dollars. Where as a 75in say Sony, is about $2500 dollars. So for a bout $1500 more I get 4k and an actual tv. I was just thinking since my projector is probably 5 years old.

#10 ·
I saw an 80" 4K TV on Slickdeals.net recently right around 1K.

I'd take that over 100" projection and sit two feet closer.

That's assuming you are on the US, where these great deals usually are.

#13 ·
I'd take a quality projector over a bargain bin 80" LCD any day. Vizio is supposed to be introducing an 80" E series soon but it remains to be seen if that size will retain the praise the smaller sets in the line have garnered for being a good affordable TV.

#11 ·
If you didn't already have a projector it would make more sense to consider TV vs. projector. But if you already own a quality projector like the Epson 5010 and like what you see on your current 135" screen, it's going to be brighter and sharper on a 100" screen. You can get a 100" Silver Ticket screen for ~$200 and it's very close in image quality to much more expensive screens. Try reading this review that named Silver Ticket "The Best Projector Screen (for most people)":

thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-projector-screen/

#23 ·
You said the image would be brighter and sharper on a 100in screen, and I'm guessing because it is smaller. If you were me would you zoom it all the way out to fit a 106in screen or not use all zoom and go smaller like a 100in and make it brighter and sharper than a 106in?

Check the calculator here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5010-projection-calculator-pro.htm

It looks like hitting a 100" screen wouldn't be a problem at all. In fact, you might be able to squeeze a 110" from that throw.

I was thinking same thing and that's why I'm looking at a 106in.

#12 · (Edited)
I have the Silver Ticket 100" 16:9 neutral white. I bought it on recommendation of Chris Heinonen (referencehometheater.com) who made it his top pick on wirecutter.com. For $200 on Amazon with free shipping I would say stick with your Epson.

Or to put it another way...
http://www.displaywars.com/75-inch-16x9-vs-100-inch-16x9

#14 ·
Hit up local avs forum see if anyone would want to trade a smaller screen with you.

#16 ·
I'm going to the new place today to measure exact length of room. From seating wall to screen wall. If you gentlemen would be willing to take some time out of your day to help me, once I give exact measurements, to help me find best screen choice/size, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you. Stay tuned.

#21 · (Edited)
Ok. I just went and measured the new area. From wall to wall is 13 feet. Minus the projector itself, which is almost a foot, plus distance between the back of the projector and wall; so roughly 11.5ft from lens to screen. What do you guys think would be a perfect screen for that distance of throw and distance in relation from seating to screen.

EDIT: Just took my projector down and placed it near the distance it will be in my new place. With zoom all the way out, the dimensions of the viewing surface/pattern is 52 inches from top to bottom and 97 inches from left to right. From what I researched, that should be roughly a 106 inch screen. What you guys think?

#22 ·
#24 ·
If the max you can get on the bare wall is 52" x 93", that is the exact image size of a Silver Ticket 106" screen. Just understand that the image will be slightly smaller on the screen than the wall because the screen will be a couple of inches closer to the projector than the wall is. If you can push the projector back a couple of inches that should do it. But don't get a 106" screen if it looks like you can only get a 105" image on the screen. If in doubt go with a 100" screen and move your chairs a few inches closer to the screen. :)

#26 ·
Thank you. I agree, I think the 106in would be perfect. And if I can move it back just a tad, or even if I measured a tad short, I still might have a 1/8th or little more of overspill onto the frame. As I like to make the image just an 1/8th or so to spill onto frame so I know the whole actual screen viewing area is being used. Is that ok? Do you know if velvet border is good at masking overspill? I did that with my Carada and their black border wouldn't show any light/overspill.

#25 ·
Placing the projector closest to the screen and using it's most wide angle (largest picture) lens position will give you the brightest image. Obviously, moving the projector back will dim the image- but so too will placing the lens towards it's telephoto setting (smallest picture). This seems a little counter intuitive at first but makes sense when you think about it.

According to projectorcentral's calculator the closest you could place the projector to achieve a 106" image would be 10' 4" and the farthest you could place the projector would be 22' 2" so... I think you'll be plenty bright at 11' 6". :)

Just make sure the damn thing fits. I always like a little wiggle room.

#29 ·
As I was writing a response to the other gentlemen, you actually answered my next post. I was getting ready to ask everyone, if it's best or not to use all the zoom out on the lens. I've read on this forum it's ok, and also read you shouldn't. Being my first home, I'd like to show it off and show the best and brightest picture I can. That's why I went with a 1.3 gain in my Carada. I was also at full zoom out to make the 135.

#31 ·
To expand on my last post, here is what projectorcentral has to say about the 5010's lens and placement flexibility:

Placement flexibility. Epson has been using the same 2.1:1 lens on many of their projectors for years now, and by this point we know its ins and outs. The upside is a best-in-class 2.1:1 zoom range allowing for the display of a 120" diagonal image from 11' 8" to 25' of throw distance. Lens shift is likewise extensive, with 2.9 picture heights of total vertical range and 1.9 picture widths of horizontal range. That combination is what makes Epson's projectors in general and the 5010 in particular so good for rear shelf mounting -- you can place the projector significantly off-center and still hit the screen perfectly.
The downside is a 37% reduction in light output when using the lens at its maximum telephoto setting (the smallest image at a given throw distance). With a projector this bright, that reduction isn't game-breaking for most people, but it may mean using high lamp mode instead of low lamp mode or switching to a brighter image preset instead of Cinema.

#33 ·
I think that sage11x has answered all the questions that you asked me. Just to add, there really isn't an obvious difference between 100" and 106" images. Thinking of it in terms of computer monitors it represents the difference between 25" and 26.5" screens, which is barely noticeable.

Based on all of your measurements you might even be able to go up to even a 110" screen if you wanted to and still be able to make the image large enough to slightly spill over onto the screen's black velvet borders, which do a good job of absorbing spillover image light. But 106" would be a little safer and the difference between 106" and 110" is even smaller than from 100" to 106". You could always delay the screen size choice until you actually move into the new place.

Back to the issue of which is better, a big TV or a bigger front projection system, there will never be a consensus. Here in the projector section you're likely to get more projector advocates and in the TV section more TV advocates. But the real answer is that it depends on your room conditions, viewing habits and personal preferences. Personally I have a projector with a 100" screen in front of my 60" plasma and use both at different times for different viewing. I'm a firm believer in having one of each and would never want to be without one of each. :)

#36 ·
I think that sage11x has answered all the questions that you asked me. Just to add, there really isn't an obvious difference between 100" and 106" images. Thinking of it in terms of computer monitors it represents the difference between 25" and 26.5" screens, which is barely noticeable.

Based on all of your measurements you might even be able to go up to even a 110" screen if you wanted to and still be able to make the image large enough to slightly spill over onto the screen's black velvet borders, which do a good job of absorbing spillover image light. But 106" would be a little safer and the difference between 106" and 110" is even smaller than from 100" to 106". You could always delay the screen size choice until you actually move into the new place.

Back to the issue of which is better, a big TV or a bigger front projection system, there will never be a consensus. Here in the projector section you're likely to get more projector advocates and in the TV section more TV advocates. But the real answer is that it depends on your room conditions, viewing habits and personal preferences. Personally I have a projector with a 100" screen in front of my 60" plasma and use both at different times for different viewing. I'm a firm believer in having one of each and would never want to be without one of each.
Lol! Sorry Dave, I was up late last night with nothing much to do but browse the web and figured I'd tackle a few of those questions.

I own a couple plasmas myself including one 55" VT60. I'm going to be honest I don't use the TVs much anymore besides video games. We haven't subscribed to Cable in years though so our viewing habits might be different than most. Bluray and Netflix are what we watch when not playing video games and outside of that I watch a lot of YouTube on the phone or the iPad. I rarely watch anything during the day and even in the summer when it stays light out later I find that most newer projectors can handle some ambient light with ease. Maybe it's because all I've ever owned are CRTs, rear projections and plasmas but my habit is not to have my display setup in the brightest location in my home so the big knock against front projection- it's inability to compete with a lot of light- has never bothered me.

I love my VT but if I'm honest I don't see myself buying another flatscreen for the forseeable future. We rent so the prospect of moving even a moderately sized screen like a 50 or 60 is a pain in the ass. Projectors are far easier in that regard and for myself they are easier to watch. There is something very easy-on-the-eyes about watching a BIG screen that better fills your field of view. In fact, the way we now use our flat screens are as glorified monitors: we have then setup right next to each other on a single stand with our seating pulled right up in front. I have zero tolerance for squinting at small screens now.

#35 ·
No you won't because by the time that happens they'll have ultra short throw projectors for decent prices capable of throwing up 200" images on your wall. :)

#38 ·
I agree Sage11x, I only have 1 actual tv and it's a 10 year old Samsung plasma. All my living room tvs are and have been projectors. I don't really play video games but I watch a lot of movies. And you're right, watching a big screen engulfs you and brings you in, compared to a TV. Makes surround sound, sound better too.

Also, thank you for your responses and help. I really do appreciate it. A lot.

If I go 4k, I need new 4k receiver and all new 4k hdmi cables.

#39 ·
I do want to say thank you to everyone who responded and helped out; along with pointing me in the direction of the Silver Ticket Screens. I've been reading that STS thread; plus reviews and seems it does just as good if not better than screens 5x it's price. So, that's the route I'm going to go. And as someone mentioned, when I'm ready for 4k, I'll save the tv money and get a good 4k projector. Supposely the STS is a 4k screen. But not sure is a specific screen is needed for 4k.

#41 ·
Looking at the room it's obvious that a fixed screen won't work on the wall with the big window. Obviously that window will need a good blackout curtain if you plan to watch in the daytime. It's not clear but from the lighting it almost appears as if there might be a skylight in the recessed part of the ceiling. That would be a daytime viewing killer, so hopefully that's just an illusion.

Since there's also a window on the wall to the left in the image it will also require a blackout curtain. That probably makes the wall across from that smaller window the best location for a fixed screen as there appears to be no obstructions. Your primary seating would end up in front of the smaller window on the lefthand wall.

#42 ·
What direction does that window face? I'm thinking evening sun vs morning sun- that would give you a good idea what wall you want to place it on. I find that light in my room isn't really that big of an issue as long as the light isn't directly in front of the screen. As long as the screen itself is in shadow or on the darker wall you can get away with watching with some light.
As for that skylight: if watching during the day is a concern I might recommend a grey screen. There is a bit of a recess to the wall and I think that might be enough to get away with it during the day. I don't use a grey screen myself but there are several here that do.

#43 ·
There is a vaulted ceiling but no skylight. Just roof.

The window you see looking straight ahead, in the picture, is getting blacked out. I'm going to buy home theatre blackout curtains with a curved rod that goes around the window. So all sides covered.

That little bit of light you see on the left side, in the back, is a door to the balcony. Im going to get blackout shutters or curtains for it too.

So the screen, will have to go on the big open wall (right side of pic) or the smaller wall (because of door) (left side in pic). The opposite wall of screen is my couch. I want to try and get it as centerd and even as possible. Suggestions

#46 ·
I wonder how it would look if I painted the seating wall and screen wall a dark grey; while the whole rest of the condo is in a semi-neutral color. I:ve seen on here and other places, that people with dark colors behind their screens makes the image and screen pop out more.

#47 ·
It doesn't necessarily need to be a dark grey on the walls. Any dark color will help reduce reflected light. Some have used dark blue, dark red, dark green, etc. If there's any WAF involved even medium colors will make some improvement over white or light beige walls. You might want to see how it works as is before getting into painting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.