What do you think of Sony Xperia Touch Projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By cewu2007
  • 1 Post By bud16415

post #1 of 12 Old 03-14-2017, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What do you think of Sony Xperia Touch Projector?

Hi projector gurus:

Maybe you have heard about this product already:

https://www.sonymobile.com/us/produc.../xperia-touch/

I am not promoting this product, and it is not even in the market yet. It converts any surface into Android touch screen, and will be very expensive (~$1,600).

This post is more of a survey: according to your experience with the projector market, do you think this kind of products will take off? Personally I think its price has to come down to ~$500 to be attractive to customers. I can think of some cool applications but none of them warrant the high price tag.
Ftoast likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-14-2017, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 203
So this is a home theater forum.

Cool product sure, but completely irrelevant here.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-15-2017, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP is the name of the forum. Sounds like it is under 3k and it sure looks like a projector. People talk about game projectors all the time, and it plays games. People surf the net with projectors and it seems to do that. I’m going to take a guess it might even allow you to stream a movie, but I don’t know that.

Bud

post #4 of 12 Old 03-15-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 376
A $1600 toy with 100 lumens and a max image size of 80". Price it $300 and I might get one to play with.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
My simple HT: Epson HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.3; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 2 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-15-2017, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
So this is a home theater forum.

Cool product sure, but completely irrelevant here.
Yes you are right. I'll post on another discussion board (maybe portable A/V in gaming). Still thanks to people giving feedback.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP is the name of the forum. Sounds like it is under 3k and it sure looks like a projector. People talk about game projectors all the time, and it plays games. People surf the net with projectors and it seems to do that. I’m going to take a guess it might even allow you to stream a movie, but I don’t know that.

Go up 2 forums and what does it say? Xxx xxx discussions and reviews. That's an AR device, it's an accessory, which by golly, we have an accessory subforum why don't we.

This place has been a dumpster fire lately.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-15-2017, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 116
A dumpster fire of poor manners and hostile posting. Goodness, have some patience and spare the attitude.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-16-2017, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This place has been a dumpster fire lately.

The way I view it is first of all we are all guests here and secondly we only need to comment in threads we are interested in or have input to offer. I don’t read every post if the thread is something I am not interested in. Many times these general guidelines are breached slightly and who really cares if you are not interested in anything except home theater just don’t participate in the thread titled “Help my church find the right projector” or “Can I use 6 business projectors to build a 360 degree flight simulator cockpit”.

I have directed people to other forums many times for the reason of getting them better help with the questions that are asking. People come to the screen forum all the time asking about painting a screen. They are better served in the DIY screen forum. Or people want to build a scope AR home theater and are surprised there is a forum just for those questions.

The bottom line is this device is a projector. Not a HT projector, but a projector and it doesn’t run on 8mm film it is digital. It has all kinds of other interactions built in but so do lots of HT projectors have features others don’t. If it doesn’t interest, you or me then just skip over it. If someone comes along and asks what kind of tires work best on a Ford F150 then I would say they are in the wrong dumpster.

Bud
post #9 of 12 Old 03-16-2017, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2160 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Spoiler!

Edit: Whoops, I thought the earlier material I read about this mentioned the Mvis-like Laser engine and/or focus-free LBS...I didn't realize this was a LCoS. My mistake.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 03-22-2017 at 05:08 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-16-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 803
The projector linked most certainly IS a projector. It is a SXRD based unit with the ability to deliver images without issue. Obviously, it will be limited to the size and I would certainly agree that this product needs to be closer to $300 instead of anything over $500 if it is something I would take seriously. At $300 it's the type of thing I could see throwing up in a couple of rooms in my home and be pretty excited about it.

This is much like their first OLED display. It's not a product which really works. It's not like people have tables which are really available for gaming on, and the apps are going to be seriously limited. It's a projector, so it will be slaughtered by ambient light, and it's not a bright projector, so even more so.

The 1366x768 resolution is... Well, it's appropriate for a $300 device.

It would need to be darn near silent to be something which could be left in a bedroom, and it would need to be designed into a home space with a fair amount of thought. I don't have a place in my home where this would even make sense.

But, that doesn't mean that it won't work for some people very well in certain spaces. For people with more money than I have for sure. But, they are out there, and a discussion of these forward thinking products isn't at all unreasonable to have.

100 lumen, 1366x768, SXRD projector with Android and multi-touch interface. About $1,600. Ouch!

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-16-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

100 lumen, 1366x768, SXRD projector with Android and multi-touch interface. About $1,600. Ouch!

The price is only "ouch" because you are mis classifying the product. It's not a home theater projector, and it's not even remotely intended to be one.

I could use a surface hub to replace my LCD tv, but 9000 for a 55 inch, ouch! (It's not a tv)
post #12 of 12 Old 03-16-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The price is only "ouch" because you are mis classifying the product. It's not a home theater projector, and it's not even remotely intended to be one.

I could use a surface hub to replace my LCD tv, but 9000 for a 55 inch, ouch! (It's not a tv)
Nobody but you ever said it was a home theater projector or was comparing it to a home theater projector.

It is a digital projector with interactive features.
KenLand likes this.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page