Official XGIMI Owners Thread + H1 review (H1, CC, Z4 aurora etc) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #1 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Official XGIMI Owners Thread + H1 review (H1, CC, Z4 aurora etc)

XGIMI H1

Shortcuts to my review:

1. Introduction - Packaging/Exterior

2. The Remote / Built-in Android system

3. Input lag

4. Clever functions and features

5. The bedroom wall/initial samples in daylight and night/High gain reflection screen test

6. Color and image tests on bedroom wall

7. Compared to the Epson TW5350s

8. Compared to other LED projectors (LG PF1500/LG PF1000u)

9. More picture samples

10. Compared to computer monitors

11. Compared to a TV

12. Speaker comparison

13. Netflix

14. 3D

15. Projected to 300"

FOLLOWING ARE THE SPECS AND DESCRIPTION FROM XGIMI:

What features are available?
True 1080p projection quality, 300'' display capability, 3D support, 2D-to-3D functionality, optical zoom function, bluetooth speaker, 35˚ (vertical) and 30˚ (horizontal) keystone correction, Android operating system, streaming ability, plus a bluetooth remote control with an embedded gravity sensor cursor.

What is the uniqueness of the technology?
Unlike a traditional LCD projector, H1 uses LED technology. The lifetime of an LED bulb is much longer and is far less likely to overheat than a typical projector bulb. H1 is much smaller and more portable than a traditional projector. Compared to standard Pico projectors that only support 1080p, H1 projects true 1080p physical resolution. H1 also has a higher lumen count than most Pico projectors. H1’s 3D functionality and its vertical and horizontal keystone correction capabilities are more advanced than any other product in this market.

Will there be updates to H1 in the future?
Yes - the Android OS will continue to optimize and update over time.

How does H1 integrate with other connected devices?
Other devices (smartphone, PC, tablet, laptop) can be connected to H1 with mirror display. TV boxes and gaming consoles can be connected through H1’s HDMI port. Hard drives and thumb drives can be connected through H1’s USB ports.

Does H1 have an app? Which phones does it work with?
We have an app (XGIMI Assistant) to control and manage apps on H1. This app is compatible with iOS, and Android.

How does H1 connect to the XGIMI Assistant app?
The device and H1 must be connected to the same wifi network, then connected via the XGIMI Assistant app.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

OPTICAL PARAMETERS
Product Classification:XGIMI H1 Home Projector
Display Technique:0.47"DMD RGB-LED
Lens:High light transmission coated lens
Speciality:3D
Luminance (Brightness):900 Ansi Lumens
Luminance uniformity:98%
Color gamut: more than 120%NTSC
Contrast:10000:1
Standard resolution:Full HD (1920×1080)
Compatible resolution: 2K / 4K

PROJECTION PARAMETERS
Projection ratio:1.39 - 1.5 :1
Optical zoom:1.1x
Off-axis:100%
Keystone correction:Vertical: +-35 degree, horizontal: +-30 degree
Projection method:Forward/backward/hang from ceiling

SYSTEM PARAMETERS
CPU:Mstar 6A928 Cortex-A17 Quadcore 1.7GHz
GPU:Mali-760MP4
RAM:3GB DDR3
Storage:16GB eMMC
System:GUMI base on Android 5.1.1
Mirroring Display:Airplay/DLNA/Miracast

Input / Output

3.5mm speaker jack
USB 2.0
USB 3.0
Optical fiber port
Ethernet port
Power jack
HDMI 1
HDMI 2/ARC

ELECTRICAL PARAMETERS
Noise: less than 30Db
Power dissipation:80-130W
Power:AC100-240V, 50/60Hz

CONNECTIVITY
WiFi:Duo 2.4/5GHz, 802.11a / b / g / n / ac
Bluetooth:4.0 BLE

PROJECTION SIZE:

Specs, reviews and known issues will continue to be updated here.

YOUTUBE AND ONLINE REVIEWS:

* One of the earliest review of the H1 (SOURCE: fanboynation). It's only 30 seconds but his writeup can be found here:

* A user's take on setting up the H1 (SOURCE: curious george):

* Test of the Harman/Kardon speakers:

* "H1 Actual Image Projection" - This was one of the earliest preview of the H1.

* One month of using the H1 (LAURENT WILLEN).
link

* H1 - The king of LED projectors (Gadget Vu). This is one of the best review of the H1 with everything from unboxing, picture and sound tests, comparison to the XGIMI Z4 and the LG PF1000. It's in Russian but you can turn on the English subtitles.

UNOFFICIAL TESTING:

* H1 lumen test from a comparison with another projector (X1 - source is here and here):

IN THE MEDIA:

TIPS AND GUIDELINES:

I don't know how to link youtube videos without embedding them, so open up a new tab in your browser and enter the URL youtube.com and then "/watch?v=..." after it. You can then see the video.

* XGIMI has youtube videos for support (/watch?v=wsYLWJlxULw).

* Curious George has a step by step on setting up on youtube (/watch?v=bjrgRAnNbTw)

* Sobietech has a support section for the H1 on their website with plenty of documentation.

* Sobietech has a tutorial video about Google Play Access and Kodi (/watch?v=fy0TVbRQzfk)

* Sobietech has a tutorial video about using the Soft Keyboard for Text Input (/watch?v=eELgbUuRpEw&t=160s)

* BvukaGames has an interesting take on setting up the position of the H1 (/watch?v=hnQpQPJ6XA8). It's in Russian so use auto-translate->English to get some idea of what is being said.

* Wireless keyboard and mouse via USB works flawlessly, I would assume that a gaming pad would work too.

KNOWN ISSUES:

* Netflix is currently only supported in 720p resolution, however someone may have found a software hack to enable a higher resolution here:

* Google Play was not available out of the box (XGIMI using a different app called APTOiDE which is similar), but this guy may have found a way:

* It cannot read Apple formatted storage devices so you will need to format them to exFAT, FAT or NTFS. Credit to Bap.

* Currently cannot read from an external blueray/DVD drive, USB/SDD/HDD drives should be no problem.

* Remote has a built-in microphone but it doesn't work for the international version of the H1 (only for the domestic version). This is software/firmware matter so it will depend on the company or the mod community (ie. XDA) to to try to get this to work.

* If you're using the Youtube app in the H1 you'll have access to 1080p resolution provided that the video is already available in that format, however it is possible to try 2K or 4K streaming if you use the web browser. The performance however is dependent on your internet/network speed, if they're not fast then you'll just see a lot of lagging.

germanojose, Fra Diavolo and zabak like this.

XGIMI H1 (SmartProj) - Swan M200MkIII (Speakers) - Bluedio UFO Plus (BassHead) - Sony MDR CD3000 (UnicornHead)
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
Just kicking butt everyday :-)

Last edited by rocklee; 03-31-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My long term review of the XGIMI H1.

I have written a brief review of the H1 on the other thread, so I wondered if it was really necessary to write another one after seeing so many good video reviews out there. Then I thought about reviewing the XGIMI H1 after a few months of usage (that's over 500 hours so far!). So basically it's a long term test/review. I prefer reviews that's has more pictures and less chatter, so I'll be posting plenty of pictures and some videos once I find a way to upload them.

My background in projectors were mainly in business models, so I was never really a big fan of movie projectors due to the limitation of their environment and costly setup. I was also never really satisfied with the results compared to TVs, which were way better and still are.

So why did I end up getting a projector? I needed a reasonably cheap upgrade on my 37" LCD TV in my bedroom which was getting a bit small considering how much TV time it gets when I get home after work and on the weekends. I could have moved my 60" LED TV upstairs and save myself some money, but then I'll have nothing downstairs. Turning the living room into a dark room would have been too much of a hassle and it would look pretty ugly too. It was decided that the bedroom would be the best place to invest in a projector since I watch a lot of TV after dark anyway.

XGIMI has developed a number of other projectors in the past with the last one winning CES awards, only this time they seemed to have made a gem. This was a projector that had everything on paper the capabilities and features that I would have wanted a year or two from now (1080p+LED+Android+high quality speakers+bluetooth+portability).

This was the biggest reason for taking a chance on the H1. It was the first projector that I've seen that met all of these requirements plus more. The deal XGIMI was having at the crowd funding indiegogo was excellent for a brand new projector ($699), which was a lot cheaper than its direct competitors (LG PF1000/PF1500) and some of the other competing and more expensive projectors. I was expecting the H1 to be good at what it does, however I did not expect it to exceed all of my expectations.

THE PACKAGING.

What can we say about the packaging? It is highly impressive.

Compare it to other brands:

Don't get me wrong. This is not about scoring easy points here, it's about the attention to detail that XGIMI has shown in just their packaging alone, which I think deserves some credit. I think if you showed the packaging to anyone they would instantly think "premium product". Ask them how much they would think it would be worth and they wouldn't be wrong if they had said over $1000. I don't think anyone should feel disappointed upon first impression, it is very well presented.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so without further ado:

H1 PORTS:

The H1 has a generous amount of ports including 2 USBs (1 of them is USB 3.0) and 2 HDMI ports. That USB 3.0 port will be incredibly useful for high-throughput streaming as well as support for other USB 3.0 devices. However, the thing that I overlooked was the HDMI 2/ARC output. ARC on the projector allows you to route the sound (ie. 5.1 channels) from the projector to an AV receiver (that also supports ARC). This is the alternative to the 3.5mm audio output as well as SP/DIF for optical connectivity, and it does makes a huge difference to the sound produced particularly if you have a compatible soundbar that you want to make use of. I just set this up with my AV receiver a minute ago and it works fine with the 2.1 speaker setup that I have on it.

TRIPOD BASE:

This is an optional item that is used to attach the H1 to a tripod as a stand. Alternatively the screw hole can be used to mount the H1 to self-built holder that's either for the ceiling or wall.

HARMAN/KARDON SPEAKERS:

The H1 is equipped with 7.5watt 45mm speakers, it doesn't sound like much on paper but they are loud enough and they sound very good.

PROJECTOR CONTROLS AND TOUCH VOLUME BUTTONS:

THE LENS:

I don't think I've heard anyone say anything good about how projectors look, but the H1 has to be one of the best looking projectors out there. The thing is gorgeous to look at.

In the hand, it definitely feels like a premium device with its metal body. It is a bit heavy to be held like some pico projectors, but at least it won't topple over on a small tripod. The H1's size is decent enough to fit into a suitcase without taking up too much space and weight, and I feel this will be the case when I take the H1 on overseas trips.

XGIMI H1 (SmartProj) - Swan M200MkIII (Speakers) - Bluedio UFO Plus (BassHead) - Sony MDR CD3000 (UnicornHead)
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Last edited by rocklee; 03-19-2017 at 05:12 AM.
post #3 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

THE REMOTE.

When you think of remotes you would probably think of these:

That's my MINIX NEO Z64 remote on the far left, followed by LG's magic remote for the 60" TV, my sub $200 LED projector, the LG TV and finally the remote for the now 5 year old 37" Panasonic TV. To be honest, I don't even use half of the buttons on some of these remotes.

Now take a look at what XGIMI came up with:

The remote reminds me of something that Bose or Apple would make. It really does make everything else look cumbersome by comparison. Here's a comparison of all the remotes:

The H1's remote is very solid, clean, simple yet effective. It's quite intuitive and can be mastered in a minute or two so you can easily feel your way around the buttons without the need for illuminating lights.

The MINIX remote feels rubbery and mushy, as with most traditional remotes. It also uses IR which sometimes fail to connect with the player on too many occasions. I have no idea why this happens but certainly IR is on the way out for me as far as remotes are concerned.

The H1 by comparison feels more solid and clicks better. It has built-in lithium batteries and a multi-colored led indicator. It's got a ton of other features like a screen cursor, gravity sensor, zoom and focus controls.

You can also use your own phone to connect to the H1 via wifi:

What else can I say about the convenience of using my phone or tablet to control the projector? For convenience, it's got to be better than any $200++ remote out there.

THE BUILT-IN ANDROID SYSTEM.

(images from sobietech.com)

When a company decides to add more features, they also add more things that could go wrong, especially beta software and apps that constantly need updating. Which was probably why I never saw any of the Japanese companies try to develop better media management software on their TVs and media devices. We had to make do with whatever terrible proprietary system they were running at the time and it was incredibly limited and frustrating. Thankfully Samsung and LG being a little more open minded went full speed ahead to make their systems as media-playable friendly as possible. Now we're seeing more companies using Android, because it IS better than the alternative.

Before I had the H1, there was the Minix Neo-Z64, a home theater media system capable of running either Android or Windows 8. It's a good system for something that can be used with a TV, monitor or another projector. Android has so many potentials to do many things. We can run apps to calibrate settings as well as benchmarks. We can apply video or audio plugins and filters the way we've seen them work on HTPCs.

The H1's Android based system also does a very capable job of playing back any media that I throw at. We're not limited to using its software alone, Aptitode which seems to be XGIMI's version of Google play, allows us access to hundreds of other software and options to chose from like Kodi and PLEX.

To be honest, I don't use that many apps on Android since I'm happy to get all my news and media feed from Youtube. So when I heard about Netflix not being optimised on the H1 as well as it should be, then there's little that anyone can do but hope that it can be supported better in the future. The alternative is to continue using Google Chromecast or similar media broadcasters and attach them to the H1's USB ports. That's what I would do, and thankfully the H1 comes with the usual ports to cover all my bases. I'm pretty sure that the 1080p version of Netflix will find its way on the H1 eventually.

I have to give XGIMI a lot of credit for running an Android-based system on a projector that works. It is a clever move and is perfect for anyone who is an Android/Kodi/youtube junkie like myself

Last edited by rocklee; 03-19-2017 at 05:34 AM.

post #4 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

INPUT LAG.

This is something I haven't tested extensively because I've not been playing games on it and based on the eye test everything seems to sync as they should be, however it would be of interest to those who do want to play games where a delayed response between controller and screen can mean the difference in winning.

As a former amateur FPS gamer (I am much older now) I would not be using ANY projectors for gaming and no one uses them for competition anyway. So the point of whether this is good enough for serious or professional gamers is not really the point of projectors anyway in my opinion. Most gamers are using monitors specifically for gaming like the Acer Predator XB271HU, Samsung U28E590D or Dell U2715H to name a few. Some of these are running at 4K which is where gaming is at, and not where most 1080p projectors are.

There are a number of videos and user feedback out there to report that the H1 does not have the terrible input lag problems of the LGs (both PF1000 and PF1500). I tested this with a 10 metre HDMI cable so I don't know if that has any effect on the lag time but here are the results:

On the left, it shows around a 100ms lag time which according to most sites is the limit of what is acceptable to most people. According to [url ="http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector-input-lag.htm"]projector central[/url] - 166ms is the point where most people felt that the quality of the video/audio was becoming detrimental. To my eyes, I saw no issues with lag or syncing problems, however I could see how this might be a problem when it comes to competitive gaming.

On the right, the result was because I found a mode called "Dynamic Mode" which improves the input lag time. I also turned off the built-in speakers. The result was around 50-60ms lag time. I will probably notice the benefit of input lag time with a more intensive test but it's good to know what dynamic mode does!

Here are more results after switching to Dynamic mode:

Last edited by rocklee; 03-26-2017 at 02:47 PM.
post #5 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

CLEVER FUNCTIONS AND FEATURES.

I'm sure by now that most people have seen what the H1 does from website, consumer and video reviews, so I'm going to focus on the clever little surprises of the H1 that I really like and appreciate:

1. ON/OFF button that does a whole lot of other stuff. Apart from power off/on and restart, the H1 also has the following features:

- You can turn off the LED so that you only hear the sound. It means that I can run a playlist of music, videos or youtube without needing the screen to be on. I can still control the volume level though I can't change tracks or go forward or backwards. I like to listen to commentary either from movies or a documentary while doing something else (like ahem...work), so something like this is just awesome.

- Timer ("Timing off" as seen in the previous image). I watch a lot of movies in my bedroom at night so quite often I fall asleep and the video would be on all night. Kodi automatically dims the screen after a certain period of time, but the screen would still be on for the next 6-7 hours or so. Having a timer allows me to shutdown the H1 after a certain period of time where I know I will fall asleep at some point. The H1's LED bulb is rated for up to 30,000 hours, so it is designed to last me for years, but still it would be good practice to preserve the bulb as much as I can.

- Bluetooth sound mode.
When you select this function you must turn on the bluetooth feature on your phone or device. Look for "XGIMI H1 speaker" in the bluetooth device list on your phone and select it. You can now playback music or video from your phone to the H1, it's that simple. One of the advantages of using your phone or whatever device is that you can use your own equalizer, sound plugins and enhancements (useful for increasing bass or disabling voices). I haven't tried turning on the H1 as a bluetooth speaker as it looks like you still need to see the menu to select the bluetooth speaker function again.

2. Access common settings via long press of the 3 stripe button.
Pressing this button for a couple of seconds leads to the commonly accessed settings like video style, brightness, screen style and size and sound.

3. Using your smart phone as a remote via wifi.

This works just like any android apps for media players like Kodi or Plex. You also have access to additional functions:
- focus
- horizontal and vertical shifting
- trackpad
- media streaming (stream music, pictures and videos)

4. Tripod base plate.

This was bundled for free with my H1 but it can also be purchased separately online. The H1 is just like any other projector that sits on the table or shelf, however, this plate will allow the H1 to sit on top of a tripod at any angle and height:

5. USB ports to connect wired/wireless mouse and keyboards.

USB ports are incredibly useful, especially on a projector like the H1 which supports Android and external storage like USB drives, BD drives, HDD drives etc. You also have the ability to connect interface devices and type and do stuff on screen like if it was just another computer. It has the hardware to run an operating system the way a tablet does.

6. Mstar 6A928 TV chip Cortex A17 structure Quadcore 1.75GHz CPU + Mali-760MP4 + Android + 3GB RAM + 16GB eMMC + SD card reader + USB 2.0/3.0.

Here's where the H1 can seriously kick some ass, it's a computer inside a projector. My $260 Minix NEO X64 should also have been a mini-PC replacement, but the processor didn't feel ready or smooth enough for multi-tasking and it didn't even run Kodi all that well considering the number of times it crashed on me.

The H1 so far has been a smoother experience. While it is only running a 1.75GHz CPU, it certainly feels capable of running some of the more advanced applications that we already use on Android tablets (ie. WPS Office). For those interested in crunching some numbers, here's a comparison of a slightly more powerful 2.0Ghz version against the Minix's Intel chipset (I couldn't find a benchmark for the 1.75Ghz) :

http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/01/...l-atom-z3735f/

You can see how the 2.0 whoops the Minix particularly in multitasking and 3D graphics. The 1.75Ghz version should also be better than the Minix performance-wise.

7. LED is the way to go.
IMO Everybody should have been using LED by now. It is the answers to our prayers when it comes to worrying less about lamp bursting dangerously in the middle of watching a movie or the cost of frequent lamp replacements. LED uses less power (thus cheaper to run!) while producing as much light. They last longer (30,000 hours in the case of the H1). At my usage rate (6 hours every day for 365 days a year), the H1 will theoretically last for over 10 years provided that everything else can still function for that long!

Speaking of lamp replacements, for the Epson it's about $100 for a new lamp which is pretty good compared to some of the other projectors out there (Benq HT2050 is $250 while the Sony VPL-HW45ES is over $400!). Unlike most DLP projectors, the H1 does not use a color wheel. This means no rainbows and one less moving parts to worry about. This is a significant advantage at least for me. I didn't want to buy something that was still using older technology. The LGs have been reported rainbow free and the H1 is no different. Some people claim to see RBE but I guess those cases would have to be treated as the exception and not the norm.

Last edited by rocklee; 03-19-2017 at 03:46 PM.
post #6 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

THE BEDROOM WALL.
This is what I'm currently using with my H1 in the bedroom. I will get around to putting up a permanent screen but I'm debating on whether I should go with a white or grey screen given the vast amount of light in the room. The samples here were mostly taken with the Samsung S5.

Here's the H1 projected on a wall in the very early mornings:

After dark with all the bedroom lights on:

After dark with all the lights off (These were actually the first few shots that I took of the H1 when I got it):

THE HIGH-GAIN REFLECTIVE GREY SCREEN.

In the study room I have a high-gain grey reflective screen with a semi covered side window. I bought the grey screen for the Epson TW5350s which was known to have poor contrast and black levels. This is no longer a problem with the H1 but it's interesting to see how it performs with this screen:

Comparison pictures of a 720p LED projector and the H1 in the same daylit room and screen:

This screen is highly advantageous for daytime viewing as it makes the projection a lot brighter, however it is quite reflective and difficult to see if you're viewing from an angle. The best possible view is directly onward. The H1 is actually too bright for this screen so the luminance setting was later decreased from 7 (maximum is 9) to 1.
monakh likes this.

Last edited by rocklee; 03-19-2017 at 03:02 PM.
post #7 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

SOME COLOR AND IMAGE TESTS.

Shot on the bedroom wall and with a DSLR (15-85mm lens):

The H1 came out a bit too bright during these pictures so I stopped down the aperture a little:

It is a real challenge trying to take photos in varying lighting while trying to maintain accuracy of what a projector is actually projecting. The black levels are actually not that prominent, however increasing the brightness will increase the brightness of everything else which makes the final results too glaringly bright and inaccurate to judge PQ properly. We all know that the black levels of projectors are not as good as OLED TVs, so this has become a compromise that most people have accepted (unless they really insist on exceptionally deep black then they would have to venture north of $3000 or more). All I can say is that in person the colors and picture quality are great with this projector.

Last edited by rocklee; 03-19-2017 at 03:26 PM.
post #8 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

COMPARED TO THE EPSON TW5350S.

I've had the XGIMI H1 for a couple of months now and it has been a fantastic projector. However, I've been wanting to get a second opinion compared to other projectors, so I had arranged with an acquaintance at a well known electrical store (Nojima) to meet and compare with their best selling projector, the Epson TW5350s.

This store has a nice collection of headphones, speakers and AV items with many of them well over $1000 and up to $15,000. The trick was that I was going to give them a blind test, which means that I would be covering up the XGIMI and Harman/Kardon brands and labels on the H1.

The TW5350s is an older projector, but it is still rated highly on local review sites for sales, popularity and satisfaction in Japan (Epson makes up over 50% of projector sales). That's pretty impressive for something that came out in 2015 and still selling at around $800 to $900 ($900 at Nojima's). Also, it has been rated as the preferred projector over the Benq 1070 and even the HT2050. It is a good projector and it was my choice before I ended up with the H1.

I was excited the night before preparing for this meet, so I got my DSLR and lenses ready, my tripod ready and batteries charging. When I got there I realised that I forgot to bring those batteries :-( Didn't want to make the 1 hour trip back home to get them so unfortunately I had to make do with the faithful old S5 phone again. It didn't matter as I was more interested in user feedback based on it being a blind test.

They had a $2500 120" projector screen up there, so it's pretty much the best alternative to my wall :-p

The room has no light leakage so viewing could be held in complete darkness, but there was only one store person (Matsuno) in the shop (and it was a different guy to the one I was familiar with) so he had to leave the doors open while catering to other customers around the shop. I pretty much had the room to myself most of the time.

They had their own amp, theatre speakers and a demo disc ready.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
Matsuno really liked the H1's all-black packaging. He thought it was "Sony-like" and luxurious, so the initial impression was good. The Epson's packaging by comparison was pretty generic.

He certainly did not expect the H1 to look so different to the Epson. Matsuno was impressed by the build quality. He thought it could have been something made in Germany or Europe.
He was also surprised by how few buttons there were on the H1 and its remote.

Certainly the H1 felt like a more premium product, so I asked him how much did he thought it was worth based on his first impression. He said maybe around 140,000yen (about $1300). The Epson was selling for 108,000yen at his shop, so I don't think he was being too generous about the H1, everything here is pretty expensive.

STARTING UP:
We started both H1 and TW5350s at the same time. The H1's LED lamp booted up immediately while the Epson took a bit longer. If you're only going to be using the projector occasionally or just for the weekends then it may not be a big deal, but since I use mine every single day then the long start up and shut down time will eventually annoy the hell out of me. I'm impatient, or maybe I'm spoilt with how technology have continued to improve things dramatically.

After booting up both machines, the H1's Android system was already loaded and ready with the main cursor hovering over youtube on my system. You also have access to other applications like Kodi or XGIMI's own media player where you can access media from internal and external storage as well as via wifi.

The Epson had no such features. It simply waits for you to connect something else to get it going. I expected it to have a USB port and it did so I brought along a USB drive full of 1080p trailers hoping that it would be able to play back something. It didn't. The TW5350s is an older generation projector that requires HDMI/VGA/composite connectivity, and that's good enough for most people. Personally it was a disappointment to me because my sub $200 LED projector also had USB connectivity and the ability to playback videos/music via its own built-in media player.

The other thing I found about the Epson was that to disable the projection you have to use the lens cover that slides over the lens manually. For the H1, it was a matter of accessing "Turn off LED" via the remote.

PORTABILITY:
I can't get used to the idea of a projector that can't even demonstrate its capabilities straight out of the box, which brings up my next point, portability. If you had to carry a projector and you need to present some videos that you created or downloaded then you'll need to bring your laptop, media player, speakers and cables. Basically the whole works. Anybody who has been in this situation would know it all too well, and sometimes it's a laborious task setting everything up and putting them away again. I think for portability, it is very hard to beat the H1 with its built-in Android system and speakers.

Another point to add is that the H1 only runs at 80-130W, while the Epson runs at 307 Watts. Just recently, I took it out to a parking lot to test it out on a large wall with a 150w AC to DC car convertor in my car. It would not have been possible with a lot of projectors if I was out on the road, camping or I need to project a movie outdoors.

NOISE LEVEL:
There is a noticeable fan noise coming from the Epson that sounds very similar to my sub $200 projector. It's not terrible but it's there. The H1 is not dead quiet, but it is quiet. It's not a picky subject for me but it may be for others. I think Matsuno at this point was thinking that he was probably looking at something worth a lot more than 140,000 yen as the Epson hasn't had a great start based on what we tested so far.

IMAGE QUALITY COMPARISON:
According to XGIMI, the H1 follows color standard DCI-P3 to customize each frame with optimal color tone, recreating the true color tone from every original source. Thus, it joins a list of other products that also uses this standards (Apple's 9.7-inch iPad Pro,
Samsung Galaxy Note 7, Apple's iPhone 7 , Microsoft's new Surface Studio and Apple's new MacBook Pro notebook computer were released with P3 displays).

When Matsuno inserted a DTS demo disc for the Epson, I thought the picture quality was very decent. The lack of contrast didn't really bother me and it appeared to be sharp enough for the most part.

Then I put up the H1 and this happened:

The Epson is in the foreground, the H1 in the background.

Could the H1 really be that bright? Or maybe the Epson wasn't position right? When Matsuno was positioning the Epson, I noticed that he was adjusting the focus dial a lot. Unlike the H1 where it is done via remote, these focusing on the Epson needs to be done on the projector itself. I can see this being a bit inconvenient especially if the projector is situated on the ceiling, but then that could be something that some people are used to.

Here's a snapshot of the Epson during playback of one of the videos from their demo disc:

Before anyone was wondering the H1 does have an HDMI port (2 of them), so we shared the same source to both projectors:

Regrettably with a poor camera to use and unsteady hands, it is hard to appreciate from these samples just how much brighter, sharper and better the H1 was.

Here's a text comparison between the two:

H1 on the top, Epson underneath it. BTW, The text were not exactly pure white as they were more off-white. So the Epson looks a bit off here. It was also less sharper than the H1.

I played a movie trailer on the same DTS demo disc and paused at this scene (the room wasn't dark as the doors were open and the S5 continued to struggle taking pictures under this lighting):

I think some people would like the "film-like" appeal of the LCD-Epson (left) as it gives the kind of smooth impression and skin tone that seems to be popular these days, but the softness didn't appeal to me at all as it was missing details that you might notice from a DLP projector like the H1 (right). The Epson offers a bunch of picture effects like CFI (smooth motion), detail enhancement control and dynamic Iris, which will appeal to people who like these sort of things. I used to think that I wouldn't mind having some of these extra techno-wizardry features, but when they're used as a selling point to add another $500-$1000 to the price tag then it's not something that I really have to have. Another thing I noticed was that the Epson looked more "yellow/greenish" during playback while the H1 was more towards the reddish side.

In terms of brightness uniformity, both projectors had corner to corner brightness. In fact, I was impressed with their uniformity which were better than any of my TVs that had some weird vignetting or backlight bleeding.

I did not like the DTS test disc at all, the samples here were dull and more drama-like than action. I really wished I could have used the videos I brought on my USB as I had the latest trailers and Full HD demo videos like in the following samples:

RESULT: H1 if you prefer sharpness and better contrast, Epson if you prefer the film-like look and can deal with less sharper images with less contrast. The Epson's input lag time is quicker than the H1 but far worst with FI turned on.

BLACK LEVELS:

I think it is really important to add that it is difficult to capture photos exactly the way you see projected in person. The setup that I have at home is a textured, bumpy wallpaper and a grey screen with some unknown gains (bought specifically for the Epson), but at this test site it was the first time that I got to use a $2000 white screen. Here we can see that the black levels of the H1 on the right are not as good, but they are still way better than the Epson which is terrible on the left. The black levels of the Epson wasn't something that would bother me if I put it in the right situation and with the right screen, so I was prepared to deal with it. But since getting the H1 I don't need to deal with anything. It does so many things right that the lack of deep black becomes insignificant to me.

SPEAKER SOUND QUALITY:
This is not really fair comparing the Harman-Kardon speakers of the H1 with the Epson, but the Epson is fitted with a 5w mono speaker and is by default an unwilling participant of this unfortunate test. Basically, it was slaughtered the way a flute would get blown out by a tuba. I once mentioned that the dual 45mm 7.5-watt Harman Kardon speakers were not all that special because they weren't positioned like stereo speakers and they didn't have the boom and oomph of a subwoofer necessary for an immersive movie experience, but the longer I used it the more I began to appreciate just how useful it was to have a projector with some decent speakers without having to turn on the amplifier, speakers and subwoofers. The fact that they could also be used as standalone speakers for bluetooth devices connected is a huge bonus.

Sound wise while playing "November Rain" via bluetooth from my Samsung S5, the mids were more prominent with the bass having far less impact than I would have liked. However, if you use SOUNDALIVE from the S5's media player and set it to "rock" it becomes dramatically better. The bass sounded punchier and responsive without overwhelming the mids and highs which sounded much cleaner. I personally would have liked these speakers to be a little louder and a stronger bass but that's probably getting a bit much for a reasonably small device.

PRICE:
At this point, my friend Matsuno was becoming far more interested in my H1 than in his Epson and he really wanted to know the brand behind my projector. So the time came to revealing the H1 and the price and suffice to say he was shocked that it wasn't German and that it wasn't 140,000 yen ($1300). I had a feeling that he might be feeling a bit uncomfortable but he was a good sport through it all. For Japan, it's very hard to compete with China and Korea on price point alone and so they'll probably be focusing on developing their higher end (and highly priced) product lines.

CONCLUSION:
I look back at what could have been, an Epson TW5350s in my room attached to a MINIX NEO64 media player instead. Life may have been quite similar, I would have enjoyed a different projector.

Then I look at the things I wouldn't have had. Like the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of LED and the ability to start up and shut down quickly, the built-in Android system, the easy-to-use remote control, the built-in Harman/Kardon speakers, its portability, amazing accessories and all the clever features mentioned in this review. All at a price point that was so much lower than the Epson here in Japan.

I think this comparison has done a lot more than to convince me that the H1 was a much better projector for me than the Epson. It also convinced me that it was easily the better media player than the Minix. This had a greater impact on me because...I don't need them anymore!

The other advantage is that the LED bulb allows me to use this projector without any worries for as long as I like. Gone are the days where I can only watch a maximum of 3 hours a day on some projectors (ie. Optoma). Gone are the days of worrying about lamps shattering into pieces all over and the mess created inside the projector (I mean...really?). The peace of mind of not having to worry about these things is worth considering an LED projector.

Last edited by rocklee; 03-21-2017 at 04:56 AM.
post #9 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

H1 COMPARED TO OTHER LED PROJECTORS (LG PF1000u and LG PF1500)

The H1's direct competitors are other 1080p LED projectors, so that means the LGs, which both have higher rated lumens than the H1 despite sharing the same 0.47” DMD Chip DLP Technology by Texas Instruments, so are they brighter/better?

Let's start with the LG PF1500 where there has been several comparisons online already:

(SOURCE: http://www.1du.me/142068.html)

NOTE!!! These photos were taken under different ambient lighting:

COMPARED TO THE LG PF1000:

The following are screenshots from Gadget Vu's review of the H1 compared to the LG PF1000u which is a short throw 1080p LED projector (H1 on the left, LG on the right):

SOURCE:

So as you can see, the H1 produces brighter images than either PF1500 and PF1000 at their brightest settings.

Some things to note:

- Neither projectors were calibrated and results were produced at their default settings (but on full brightness). In a calibrated setting all of them would have had their brightness tuned down which would have made either LGs worst. The H1 does not suffer from the same fate as the LGs as it remained bright enough in all but the worst conditions (ie. extremely bright room).
- Both LGs produce an obvious blue-ish tint while the H1 has a very slight and almost unnoticeable reddish tint. These issues can be treated if calibrated.
- The brightness uniformity seems better in the H1 than either LGs.
- The black levels of these projectors appear to be average, sharing the same DLP chip that has no problem competing with larger DLP models.
- The LG PF1500 has an input lag time of 70ms in its fastest Game Mode setting, in all other settings the projector had a lag time of 170ms.
- The LG PF1000u has a lag of 150-166 ms in Standard mode, and 50-66 ms in Game mode.
- The speakers in either LGs are sufficient for testing but not for using, the H1 is very acceptable for daily use.
- PF1500 does not support 3D, while the PF1000 does. The H1 supports 3D including the ability to convert 2D into 3D images which is an interesting concept.

Overall, the H1 seems to be better in room with ambient lighting and thus a better "TV replacement", and in the dark the H1 becomes better than either LGs.

To be fair, the LGs are older and owners have enjoyed them a lot earlier than the H1, but they're due for an update for sure so they're selling at a good price right now. I think the PF1500 would be a good start for anyone looking for the cheapest 1080p LED projector. The PF1000u offers a unique feature of being an ultra short throw so you only have to place it right next to the wall, but you have to pay for it. The H1 is more expensive than the PF1500 and cheaper than the PF1000u but it has better features (other than the short throw) than either of them.

Gadget Vu calls the H1 the King of LED projectors, so what do I say? Of course I would be biased because I'm an owner, but for now I would have to agree with him. If you have read some of the reviews out there on the LG PF1500 or LG PF1000u, they talk mostly positive things about colors and brightness (when calibrated) and general usage. The LED technology means that they won't suffer from the ghastly rainbow effects because they don't use a spinning color wheel like what most traditional DLP projectors do, however some color separation may still occur for those who are extremely sensitive to these things (don't buy a DLP projector then!). I have never seen it on the H1 but it would be advisable for any new buyers for any of these projectors to test them out in person. For most people, these will deliver rainbow-free images. The LGs have been rated as solid options as home theater projectors (though there has been some reports of inconsistencies between international models regarding the PF1500), but overall the H1 produces far better results from input lag times to picture quality. Some people have argued (lazily) that these projectors share the same DMD ALP chip and therefore should technically produce the same results, but that of course is not true. Good engineering comes from how the chip and everything else are optimized for the best results, and it is seems that the H1 produced the better results.

Would I get an LG at their discounted prices if I had not gotten the H1? Probably not. If the LGs had everything but the kitchen sink, then the H1 has the kitchen sink and more. The built-in Android system, the speakers and the design are all worth getting for not much more dollars than the cheaper LG, and is a far better value than the PF1000u.

Last edited by rocklee; 03-25-2017 at 01:50 PM.
post #10 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

H1 PICTURE SAMPLES:

Photos of the H1 has always been a subject of controversy mostly because some people can't seem to believe that the H1 really does product great picture quality. I guess their logic is that if something is so much cheaper than other competing products that it can't be great, and that if something is so much more expensive then it must be the best. This debate could go on forever and there are no right answers for everyone.

I will say that the brightness and colors of the H1 are excellent and very close to that of a TV, but I will also say that the black levels are not as good as they are depicted in these photos and here's why. This is what the result of the H1 looks like when the ISO is boosted up to 2000 (all the photos here were taken with a Canon 7D and 15-85mm lens):

Here you can see the background which isn't deep black, but then that's not what the picture looks like either as it's more glaring and less accurate. The details are no longer there. This is why some of the samples out there has the H1 looking very saturated. Can the picture be adjusted for better blacks? It probably could, but that may compromise the rest of the picture and I didn't feel it was necessary as I'm not as hung up about black levels as some people are. I was more concerned with capturing the brightness and color levels of what I was seeing in person and matching that.

To put things into perspective, here are the black levels of some other projectors (some are more expensive than the H1):

I could on forever picking out imperfections of every projectors but you get the point. Nothing is completely black and no projector on earth can turn a white surface into black either. If you want the deepest black then stick to flat panels and OLED.

I am very happy with the quality of the images that the H1 projects.

H1 PROJECTED ON AN OFF COLORED WALLPAPERED WALL:

nowknown likes this.

Last edited by rocklee; 03-25-2017 at 01:59 PM.
post #11 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

HOW DOES THE H1 COMPARE TO COMPUTER MONITORS?

To do that, I had to bring the H1 downstairs into the study where I have a projector screen and dual LG 29" 21:9 LED monitors. The screen is a high gain grey projector screen that I bought specifically for the Epson TW53550 (as tested in the previous post) but ended up getting the H1. The gains are really effective (in fact they're a little too effective for the H1 so the brightness had to be turned down a lot).

The LGs are your typical LED monitors. I've also added my HP Spectre x360 laptop with a 1080p LED screen. Here goes (all taken with the Canon 7D, 15-85mm lens and the exact same settings):

* H1 top, LG bottom (sorry the monitors were in eco mode at the time so they appeared a lot dimmer by accident)

* HP Spectre x360

* H1 top, LG bottom

* HP Spectre x360

* H1 top, LG bottom

* HP Spectre x360

* H1 top, LG bottom

* HP Spectre x360

* LG

* H1 top, LG bottom

* HP Spectre x360

* H1 top, LG bottom

* HP Spectre x360

* LG

* H1 top, LG bottom

* HP Spectre x360

* LG

* H1 top, LG bottom

* HP Spectre x360

* H1 top, LG bottom

* HP Spectre x360

* H1 top, LG bottom

* HP Spectre x360

Basically, these pictures are much sharper than they are compare to the wall samples upstairs and a bit brighter (luminance setting was set to "1" here, wall samples was set to "9"). Initially I thought that the HP was going to be the standard of what the H1 should be in terms of picture quality, however I felt that the LGs produced a nicer image compared to the HP Spectre x360 which was more "yellowish". The H1 on the other hand were slightly on the reddish side (see owl picture), which I later adjusted accordingly. Either way, I thought the H1 did great here and certainly a proper projector screen would be an upgrade to the off-colored wallpapered wall.

EDITED: Some of the H1 sample shots have some reddish banding, which shows up sometimes during photography but is not visible at all in person.

Last edited by rocklee; 03-26-2017 at 06:45 AM.
post #12 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

COMPARISON TO A TV:

This is what most people may have come to see, can a projector ever become a TV replacement?

The answer is...no.

Projectors can never emulate the brightness, colors, pure blacks and usability in 99% of room conditions that has total daylight to ambient lighting that TVs can produce and perform in, and no amount of science talk can ever theorize that the two could ever come close. But, if it's in a setting where projectors can perform at their best then they can come very close, and that setting has to be in complete darkness. Here are my samples of the H1 (default settings and non-calibrated) projected above my Panasonic VIERA TH-L37 [37 inch] which is an LCD TV with IPS panel and LED backlight. Again, none of the photos have been altered in any way:

All I can say is that the TV is now sitting on the floor collecting dust, while I use the H1 not only in the morning to watch youtube news but also at least 4 hours in the evening. I'm simply watching more "TV" than before and I say that as someone who is very busy and has never been a TV person before. The H1 has succeeded in replacing my TV during my viewing hours, however it still will not be able to perform as well when sunlight creeps into the room at 100% brightness (as seen here). Even with curtains drawn, it still has a lot of light leakage that would put my room to shame as a "theater" lol I guess with the grey screen and closing off part of my windows nearest to the projector wall will help improve the projection.

Last edited by rocklee; 03-24-2017 at 05:35 PM.
post #13 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

SPEAKER COMPARISON:

The H1 is fitted with two 45mm 7.5 watt Harman/Kardon speakers that are fitted at the front of the projector:

To compare these speakers I set up a couple of other speakers that I own and use, the AudioEngine A2 and the SuperTooth Speakers (bluetooth).

First the AudioEngine A2, which has a reputation for being one of the smallest bookshelf speakers out there with a built-in subwoofer. With a 60W peak power total (15W RMS / 30W peak per channel) and 19mm and 70mm drivers, it is the biggest and most powerful speakers in this comparison. It would be impossible to develop the next projector with built in speakers of this size and weight as it would become far too big and heavy. It's here as a reference to see how the H1 compares.

Second the Supertooth bluetooth speaker, which has a built-in subwoofer (12watt RMS) and a couple of small speakers (2x8 watt RMS). It is a lot less powerful than the AudioEngine A2, but as a portable bluetooth speaker it is a lot more practical. The Supertooth is slightly more powerful than the H1 and has the advantage of having a built-in subwoofer. It is a couple of years old now and the performance hasn't been as good as it once was (ie. it will shut down if the volume exceeds a certain level). For $45 it clearly has been bettered by newer bluetooth speakers such as the Sumvision Psyc Monic.

The AudioEngine A2 is the only one here that does not have bluetooth, so it will connect to the source (Samsung S5) directly via 3.5mm audio cables. The SuperTooth speakers and the H1 will both connect via bluetooth. Are there advantages and disadvantages here? Probably and later I will demonstrate how the H1 sound while playing a media file locally, but the H1 was designed to function as a bluetooth speaker so let's test that.

Also, note that I didn't have any of these speakers on full volume for a couple of reasons. The A2 and SuperTooth had sound distortion, and the SuperTooth would shut down if I brought it up higher than a certain volume level. This test was more about clarity than loudness and how they compare.

Here's the first test (rap-style) captured using the Canon 7D(DSLR):

The A2 sounded fuller, bass were deeper though it sometimes overwhelm the midrange with its power..

The SuperTooth speakers weren't that bad, but they clearly had a lot more treble and less bass than the A2.

The H1 seemed to have better soundstage than the Supertooth, and the midrange and highs were also better and a little clearer.

Here's another sound sample:

However there was one thing that I did not realise while capturing all this with the DSLR. The Canon 7D has one of the worst built-in microphone out there. It just wasn't designed to be a video camera but a movie camera that expects you to have a bunch of other professional devices to make up for everything that it lacks. Owners have tried a number of solutions to overcome the problem by using an external microphone and software hacks. Still, I will leave these sound samples the way they are because these speakers were subjected to the same test conditions anyway, so it's a matter of how they sound through a terrible mic. There's enough details there to distinguish themselves from one another.

Here's the H1 (projecting while sitting on a chair) downstairs. It seems to sound better when played upright and on something flat (source is a media file played from H1's internal storage):

It's safe to say that this definitely isn't "projector quality audio" which are typically poor and certainly not garbage. It's far and away better than any projector I've heard (and would even beat some monitors or smaller TVs). Also, the H1 sounds better (louder actually) when playing videos internally than via bluetooth so that could explain the differences between these sound samples.

Here's another sample of the H1 when I was comparing it to the Excelvan 720 (sub $200 projector):

Conclusion:

The XGIMI H1 tries to take projector audio to the next level by placing some interesting speakers in it's compact size (which with its design is already an impressive feat), so it was probably a head scratching move to some projector enthusiasts who are used to supporting projectors with an external multi-speaker audio system. Open the mind a little and perhaps there could be some purpose to all of this after all. It is a projector designed to carry as much functionalities as it can fit in a form that sits between the portability of the pico-projectors (where great speakers do not exist) and the projection qualities and features of much larger projectors that may have "passable" speakers or equally bad ones like the pico-projectors. No one said that this was strictly a movies projector, as it could easily function in a classroom or a meeting room. Having significantly better built-in speakers in a projector would thrive conveniently in such a setting without the need to set up external ones.

In addition, I'm not reaching for the stereo system that I have attached to the H1 via ARC when I'm watching Youtube videos because they really aren't necessary in this situation. Having speakers like these suit that purpose. It all starts to make some sense now.

Basically the H1 is not a replacement to our existing audio setup, but one that compliments the projector experience for purposes that aren't always focused on sitting through 2-3 hour movies in a highly developed theater room. For most people who aren't interested in building those kinds of settings, the H1's speakers will meet all of their needs when it comes to projection and audio.

UPDATE: After sampling some more videos, I noticed that some of them had noticeably louder sound than others. It really depends on how they were recorded.

UPDATE 2: The problem with the inconsistent volume in recording was because of the camera (Canon 7D) which had a known audio recording issue. With this fixed the results were much better:

Last edited by rocklee; 04-01-2017 at 02:44 PM.
post #14 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

NETFLIX

Firstly I'm not a user of Netflix since I mainly use Youtube but I decided to give it a shot after hearing how some people were not able to somehow get it running. All photos were taken with the Samsung S5 and room lights on (I didn't think I would spend too much time talking about Netflix just as long as I could get it to work):

So far so good. I had to read into what Netflix was and how to use it In the playback settings there are options to view videos in different picture qualities (which is also dependent on the plan that you select, I selected the one that includes ultra HD). I selected "High" to ensure that I see the best resolution rather than standard resolution (probably 480p?).

And here are the results:

Basically, I don't think I am looking at 4K (H1 can play back 4K videos through down scaling) so it seems to be 1080p at best (though not in these samples). I can't seem to check the video details at all (if someone can show me when the video is playing that would be great). My network connections aren't the best (wifi router is downstairs and projector is upstairs) so that could have been a factor. Another issue I had was that when I first play a video there's nothing on the screen at all. I had to navigate the playback ahead to see something, this could be due to some buffering issues. I really can't verify that I can see 4K content. When I tried the same video on my laptop the resolution started in 480p! Then it changed to something higher. Again, I can't verify that it's playing at 1080p or 4k even on the laptop.

Indeed navigation on Netflix is not good without a mouse to access the onscreen functions, but you can still play, pause, fast forward and rewind videos. It's just not comparable to Kodi or even XGIMI's own media software.

I can however, enable's XGIMI's 2D to 3D to view Netflix videos in 3D so that's a plus for an 3D fans.

Overall, I like Netflix for the content that it offers, but if I paid for better resolutions (4K) then I should be able to enjoy them rather than at a compromised one. I also didn't like the interface. I guess the only way to tell if Netflix is for me is to see how much I use it over the next month or so compared to Youtube.

UPDATE: Just found out that the highest resolution I can get is 720p so that's probably what the posted Netflix samples here are. It doesn't seem that I can get 1080p or 4K to work on my system even on my laptop so that's that We'll have to continue to watch this thread and XDA for progress in getting 1080p/4k to work on Android.

UPDATE 2: Managed to get 1080p resolution on my laptop and I believe on the H1 by improving network performance, however 4K still doesn't seem like a possibility at this stage.

UPDATE 3: I'm currently watching live stream of an NBA game on Youtube, which I think pretty much ends the deal on Netflix for me. It's a great service for those looking for something to watch during their off time.

Last edited by rocklee; 03-31-2017 at 08:12 PM.
post #15 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

3D:

The XGIMI H1 is a 3D projector that also has the ability to convert 2D videos into 3D. This means anything that you project to the screen can be seen in 3D. The effect can range from barely visible to pretty impressive, depending on the content. While 3D is impressive I'm not a huge fan due to the fact that I have to wear 3D glasses, however these are active 3D glasses. So they switch automatically between 3D images and everything else not in 3D (ie. the laptop that I'm using at the same time).

I spent about an hour testing 3D on the H1, all photos were taken by the Samsung S5:

Original 2D image:

Converting to 3D:

Viewed through 3D glasses:

The results are slightly darker compared to the original, but the 3D effects definitely works and the H1 has enough brightness to retain enough details even during dark scenes. It appears less sharp here but that's due to trying to do a Houdini holding both the camera phone and 3D glasses and tapping on the screen to focus on something. The images in person look fine IMO.

Here's a video sample of how 2D-to-3D takes effect:

While I found this feature to be pretty good (actually quite awesome), I thought the side-by-side 3D images were a little more effective however their resolutions were not as good. So if you're picky about wanting to see 3D in 1080p then you're best to use the 2D-to-3D conversion instead of SBS 3D. Both are perfectly fine.

I forgot to mention that there are hundreds if not thousands of 3D samples on Youtube, here are some of my favorites:

Conclusion:

Some people claim that a projector without 3D isn't a complete projector, but then not everyone is a fan of 3D myself included. However, the 2D-to-3D conversion feature kind of changed the ball game for me because of how effortless it was. I thought I would be getting headaches using active 3D glasses but I was fine with them. I still probably wouldn't be using 3D all that much (I just have a bad habit of multi-tasking and doing something else at the same time as well as the fact that I also wear glasses), but those who will be will definitely appreciate this feature.

UPDATE:
I am now a fan of 2D-to-3D and SBS 3D. If I can bring myself to not fiddle with something else that runs on batteries while watching videos then 3D really does increase your movie experience. I think this will definitely be a hit with the kids provided that you have enough glasses to go around which is the only problem. Glasses cost around $20 give or take, while glasses for my LG TV which uses passive 3D are cheap (around $15 for 4 pairs).

Last edited by rocklee; 03-29-2017 at 04:43 PM.
post #16 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

(Reserved for review)

Last edited by rocklee; 03-27-2017 at 02:35 PM.
post #17 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm curious, how does this projector compare to LGpf1500? , this seem like a better deal than LG with even lower price!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
post #18 of 479 Old 03-18-2017, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonntminh View Post
I'm curious, how does this projector compare to LGpf1500? , this seem like a better deal than LG with even lower price!

The H1 is much better. I'm still finishing my review so you'll see some details about both projectors and why I went with the H1

post #19 of 479 Old 03-19-2017, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

PS4 Doom on the H1:

Seems to run pretty well.

post #20 of 479 Old 03-20-2017, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

XGIMI H1 won a design award from iF Design Award 2017, congratulations!

http://ifworlddesignguide.com/search...try/201327-h1/

post #21 of 479 Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've updated my comparison of the H1 to the LG PF1500 here

post #22 of 479 Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=rocklee;51759369]I've updated my comparison of the H1 to the LG PF1500

Well, I wish I've know this projector sooner, when did you accquire the H1? When did it reached all the money and stop the order on indiegogo?
post #23 of 479 Old 03-24-2017, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=antonntminh;51759593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklee View Post
I've updated my comparison of the H1 to the LG PF1500

Well, I wish I've know this projector sooner, when did you accquire the H1? When did it reached all the money and stop the order on indiegogo?
I ordered it last year and the campaign ended on indiegogo in December. The H1 is still available on Amazon and Aliexpress.com. Did you end up getting the LG?

post #24 of 479 Old 03-24-2017, 06:16 PM

[quote=rocklee;51759665]
Quote:

I ordered it last year and the campaign ended on indiegogo in December. The H1 is still available on Amazon and Aliexpress.com. Did you end up getting the LG?
Yes, I bought the LG for $750 on woot in Dec also, after read so many positive review about the LG, wish I had research a little more . Anyway, the lg is still a good choice

post #25 of 479 Old 03-24-2017, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=antonntminh;51759865]
Quote:
Yes, I bought the LG for $750 on woot in Dec also, after read so many positive review about the LG, wish I had research a little more . Anyway, the lg is still a good choice

I think it is a little expensive but that's ok (are you in the US?), you still have time to decide if it's for you or not. You should definitely visit the LG PF1500 thread for all the feedback and issues as well as how to resolve them.

Also, I may have forgotten to mention, the PF1500 does not have 3D and cannot play back media via USB.

Last edited by rocklee; 03-24-2017 at 06:35 PM.
post #26 of 479 Old 03-25-2017, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Good job rock lee, excellent work. Now increase my wish to get the h1.

I will do a review too and increase your post.

Thanks for your job.
post #27 of 479 Old 03-25-2017, 12:11 AM

[quote=rocklee;51760089]
Quote:

I think it is a little expensive but that's ok (are you in the US?), you still have time to decide if it's for you or not. You should definitely visit the LG PF1500 thread for all the feedback and issues as well as how to resolve them.

Also, I may have forgotten to mention, the PF1500 does not have 3D and cannot play back media via USB.
Well, the PF1500 indeed does not have 3D but it support playback via USB really well, just not H265.

post #28 of 479 Old 03-25-2017, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=antonntminh;51764001]
Quote:
Well, the PF1500 indeed does not have 3D but it support playback via USB really well, just not H265.

Sorry you're right, I missed the DIVX logo, it doesn't support all of the media formats as you mentioned but it's a plus if it can play most of them.

Last edited by rocklee; 03-25-2017 at 03:26 AM.
post #29 of 479 Old 03-25-2017, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanojose View Post
Good job rock lee, excellent work. Now increase my wish to get the h1.

I will do a review too and increase your post.

Thanks for your job.

Where are you located germanojose? Currently testing the speakers, hopefully will have a video sample to post soon

post #30 of 479 Old 03-26-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Where are you located germanojose? Currently testing the speakers, hopefully will have a video sample to post soon
I live in Brazil. Ceara Region. Sorry for the late response. Excellent work with audio, and netflix, the movie from netflix run in 4k? could you test with IPTV?

Iptv apps Like kodi or Playlistv?

PlaylistTV Is more simple. Just add link and open channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
android , Gaming , led , screen , xgimi , xgimi h1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page