Newb wants BenQ W1070 in Living Room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated

post #1 of 5 Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Newb wants BenQ W1070 in Living Room

Am a total noob and just bought the BenQ W1070 for $500 on amazon.

Moving into a new home and I have this dream of having my projector in a living room. Now I know all about minimizing ambient light and all but will only be watching sports mostly during the day on weekends. We are getting blackout curtains/blinds in the living room.

I also have been reading up a bit on the DIY black diamond screens to allow for better day time viewing or watching evening tv with a few
lights on.

Attached are the pics of the living room. The wall on the left will host the screen. No direct sunlight but about 6-8 windows around.

The wall is 12 feet x 13 feet in total size.
I would like to display a 120"-135" image.
The room is 19 feet aross, but I will mount along side the fan (11 ft 4").

Now i know this isn't the best situation but would really like to make this work.
Am I wrong in assuming that the screen can really help me out here. I do not intend to project onto the wall but am prepared to either buy some elite screens' ambient light rejecting screen or do a DIY screen with a ambient light blocking paint blend.

The ceiling is pre-wired for 4 speakers and I need to work on a cost effective audio solution too. But that is a minor issue versus this.

So is the BenQ w1070 sufficient for my needs or do i need to go for the BenQ HT2050 or some EPSON?
What are your thoughts and recommendations on a DIY "Black diamond" screen ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	living room 1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	2038833   Click image for larger version

Name:	living room 2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	2038841   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170317_134304.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	2038849   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170317_134237.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	2038857  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 386
ALR screens work when the source of the light is from the sides. The DIY ones work the same way as the commercial ones.

You didn’t say what wall the screen will be on.

If you find you are not bright enough for the task at hand you can go for a smaller screen and get brighter that way.

Go ahead and try it you have bought it. Report back on how it worked out.

Bud
post #3 of 5 Old 03-20-2017, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
ALR screens work when the source of the light is from the sides. The DIY ones work the same way as the commercial ones.

You didn’t say what wall the screen will be on.

If you find you are not bright enough for the task at hand you can go for a smaller screen and get brighter that way.

Go ahead and try it you have bought it. Report back on how it worked out.
Thank you for your reply.

The wall on the left is where I intend to display the image on (the side without the 2 windows).

I like your comment about the ALR screens. I do have 3 windows on the side but also 2 that are perpendicular. (in pic).

It sounds like buying some ALR screen material and mounting it onto a frame is the way to go.

Any recommendation on the type of material to purchase? Is CARL'S AMBIENT LIGHT REJECTING (ALR) PROJECTOR SCREEN MATERIAL the way to go? or is there something substantially better that I should be considering?

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	living room 2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	2039353  

post #4 of 5 Old 03-21-2017, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 386
ALR screens cant detect projector light from ambient light if the two are coming from roughly the same direction. They work by rejecting light coming from above or the side at steep angles to the screen. So in your case the worst light would be the windows behind you and an ALR screen in that case may even look worse than a regular screen as the screen gain will brighten the ambient light along with the projected.

IMO to even think about using this room in daytime you will need black out blinds of really good quality the type with a layer of BOC sewn into the curtains. They should cover 100% of the window and overlap the trim when shut.

You will get a ok image at that point with the lights off in the room but the light walls and ceiling will still lower your black level due to rebound ambient light coming from the projector. That of course could be helped by painting the walls a darker color or selecting a smaller screen size and using a gray screen.

The best way to figure out how bad all the problems are is to set up the projector and show a movie or a few movies on the wall at different times of the day and see what you think.

Bud
post #5 of 5 Old 03-21-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 794
This room is just about as bad as it gets for front projection.

Light walls, large windows, ceiling fan in the center, high walls, no real audio or cabling plan.

I would get a 80" TV for that wall at the front, put a credenza under it, and call it done.

If I were to consider a projector, I would get one with the throw distance to fill a 120" diagonal screen from the back of the room. I would build a soffit to put a motorized screen into at the front of the room and have it drop down in front of my TV.

I would only use it after dark.

I would put in 5 properly positioned in-wall speakers at the very least, with a subwoofer located back in a corner by the couch somewhere discretely.

I'm not sure if this is the only choice you have, but it's going to be tough during the daytime to achieve a really solid image unless you address the windows early on.

That ceiling fan with the flood light in the center would be the second thing I would address.
zoro25 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq w1070 , black diamond , diy , living room , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page