AVS Forum banner

Reasonable priced/sized projector for 100" at 16'

460 views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave in Green 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Maybe I’m missing something but having trouble finding a reasonable priced/sized projector here in Canada for a friend for a simple setup, (apple TV or Roku stick) that would allow 100” diagonal or less from 16’ in an open concept, non-light controlled environment. Mounting will be from an extension of the mezzanine, table mounting is not an option. See photo
I’m currently using an Epson1440, which would fit the lumens/sizing but out of their point even the refurbs at $1199 (thought I’d sell them mine and get a refurbished 3700), there’s the occasional refurbished 3000 at $749 from Epson but without a speaker or audio output, a refurbished Epson 1040 at 3000 lumens would have been perfect except for the throw distance,
Screen will be motorized and mounted in front and above large north facing windows.
So any other makes/models I’m not aware of, they're not super critical so even a 720 dpi may suffice for their movie viewing.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys

Pick up a refurb 8345...
The recipient is looking for something along the lines of the 1440 but smaller…there’s a fair amount of ambient light even at night so the 8350 besides being a bit large I do not believe has enough lumens as we tried a few recently with my brother, also no speaker (we had very bad luck on the refurbished 8350s tried three times…convergence/panel alignment and he finally opted for the Benq 2050).

Are you sure the distance from lens to screen will be 16' to a 100" (or smaller) screen? .............

Long throw + small screen + ambient light + audio + low budget = unrealistic combination.
Yep…just rechecked you’re right on the 3000 and actually stretching for a 100’ motorized depending on the screen casing as on the left there is a fire place at a 45 degree angle and to the right a built in library so mounting width is limited.

Found this one, the PowerLite 955WH at 3200 lumens might be ok, 100" @16.4, for an undiscriminating viewer for Netflix viewing unless it’s similar to my EX7210 which is quite mediocre IMHO with poor image quality… especially compared to the 1440...may get the refurbed 3700 yet.....
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_955WH-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Attachments

#3 ·
Are you sure the distance from lens to screen will be 16' to a 100" (or smaller) screen? This subject comes up frequently and the answer is always the same: There are very few projectors that can throw that small an image from that far a distance. It greatly limits projector choice and it's always recommended to try for a shorter throw to increase projector options.

The refurbished Epson 3000 you mentioned can only throw a 100" image from 15' 7" or closer, which brings in the question of whether the throw is actually 16'? Does the projector really need a speaker or speaker output? Projector speakers are notoriously weak so that suggests this is not a serious home theater but just for casual viewing. A refurbished Epson 8345 is inexpensive and would work with that throw but it's not as bright as the others and could struggle even with a relatively small 100" screen if ambient light is excessive.

Long throw + small screen + ambient light + audio + low budget = unrealistic combination.

#5 ·
Beggars can't be choosers. Max throw for the 955WH to a 100" screen is 15' 9", so you will be losing some of those 3,200 lumens to the max zoomed lens. With a WXGA 1280x800 projector you also lose the lumens of the 80 lines of pixels in the LCD panels that go unused with 1280x720 content, so knock another 10% off and you're going to be down around 2,500 max lumens -- probably closer to 2,000 lumens in a color accurate mode. You can read all about it in the projectorreviews.com review:

projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-powerlite-955wh-projector-review/

#6 · (Edited)
Beggars can't be choosers. Max throw for the 955WH to a 100" screen is 15' 9",
Hi Dave

That's at 16:10...but you're right they need to increase their budget... no real way around it to have a somewhat decent picture.
Table top placement for a closer throw would require setting up and taking down the projector and running an extension each time they wanted to watch something, so a no go.
I'll need to work on them a bit. more.:)

#7 ·
Using the database from Projector Central, this is the list:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...d=16&is=100&i=d&tr=&tr2=&oop=1&sort=pop&sz=15

That one model is the single unit which is currently made, under $1,000, which can hit a 100" diagonal from 16' lens to screen.

This is very much a case of having very specific requirements and creating a budget before knowing what those requirements will cost.

I would get the 8345 in a second because it does work from that distance and the screen size is small enough to have a good deal of light output on screen from that projector. The addition of significant lens shift means no keystone correction needed or placement issues at all.

Short of that, I would go with the Epson 3700 and figure out a way to get the projector 3" closer since it can only handle 100" from 15'9" away.

The 8350 at 1,500+ lumens is no slouch on brightness, but if you really are determined to fight ambient light, then plan on a projector which is brighter and can handle the zoom range, and the rest, and someone has to set up an appropriate budget or just use something else.

#8 ·
Darn tricky calculator. :eek: At 16:9 max throw for the 955WH and 100" screen is 16' 3".

It's easy enough to get the projector a few inches closer to the screen with the right mount. I just recommended a fully adjustable mount in another thread that would be great for getting the projector closer to the screen in the layout above. It's also great for fine-tuning horizontal and vertical placement with a projector that lacks horizontal and vertical lens shift. Check the following link:

avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2795409-smaller-room-projector-mount-screen-questions.html#post51843089

#10 ·
Darn tricky calculator. :eek: At 16:9 max throw for the 955WH and 100" screen is 16' 3".

Check the following link:

avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2795409-smaller-room-projector-mount-screen-questions.html#post51843089

There are mounts with articulated arms
There's even an image of one of those fully adjustable mounts right here on AVS Forum:
Exactly what I had in mind....but swung forward.

Attachments

#11 ·
Looking at the diagram again, an ultra short throw projector could work if mounted on the ceiling right in front of the screen. Epson is currently selling the refurbished 3,100 lumen PowerLite 485W WXGA UST model at a bargain price. It will throw a 100" image from 1' and will not lose any lumens to a zoomed lens because it has no zoom. An AVS Forum member had great success using a 485W as a TV replacement:

avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1512578-powerlite-485w-epson-ultra-short-throw-bright-t-v-anywhere.html

epson.com/Clearance-Center/Projectors-for-Work/PowerLite-485W-WXGA-3LCD-Projector---Refurbished/p/V11H454020-N

#12 · (Edited)
Looking at the diagram again, an ultra short throw projector could work if mounted on the ceiling right in front of the screen........
Thanks Dave...sorry it was quick and dirty diagram....there is no ceiling immediately above the screen if I'm not mistaken, maybe a few inches ... just another 10' feet of open space. :(....but 100" at 1' lol...that is short.

#15 ·
I keep forgetting about the BenQ HC1200. But as long as refurbs are available it's a good option for fairly long throw + small screen + ambient light + audio + low budget. The HC1200 does in fact have a small internal speaker and also a mini jack audio out. It's a valid option if the distance from lens to 100" screen can be kept to 15' 3" or less, which in this case should be doable with the previously mentioned mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.