Epson 5040UB vs. BenQ 2050HT? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #1 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Epson 5040UB vs. BenQ 2050HT?

Hello,

I've read many articles and posts on these two projectors and generally understand the differences (Epson has 4K enhancement, LCD vs DLP, more bells and whistles. It's also quite a bit bigger and heavier). I also understand that they are at quite different price points. The very helpful posts here are often anchored on..."if your budget is $x, then consider these models." Again, very helpful.

But my budget is flexible. I can afford the Epson. But I don't necessarily want to spend dramatically more unless the results are also dramatic enough to warrant the extra expense. Here is my set up.

Not a dedicated home theater room but in a living room.
I can achieve very close to total darkness but it's not pitch black like a cave. Sometimes we will watch TV with lights on and sometimes we will watch movies in a darkened room. And if I wanted to, I could take steps to get it even darker and very close to perfectly dark.
I will likely go with a 120" Elite fixed screen
The projector will be ceiling mounted in a room that is aprox. 20' x 20'
Seating is about 16' away from the screen
I have a decent 7.1 sound system

Now you may tell me that I just need to test both and make my own evaluation. Fair enough. But my question is - will the Epson provide a significantly better picture when watching 1080p HD? Said another way, would my wife say...."wow, the Epson looks a lot better than the BenQ". Or is the difference in picture quality negligible? I'm assuming that the difference will be fairly noticeable when watching 4K on the Epson so that advantage I understand. But I could opt for the BenQ and later buy a true 4K projector when the prices comes down.

Anyway, I realize I may ultimately have to test both for myself, but any insight into what I should expect would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 152
if you can afford 5040UB, get the 5040UB. It's a no brainer. Better lens, better image, better brightness.
It's like oh I can afford a Ferrari but I am gonna buy a Camaro.
sage11x likes this.
post #3 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm also trying to decide if the 5040UB is right for me. I'll also be using it in a living room environment with an ALR screen. There seems to be a large discrepancy in reported lumens for bright cinema mode. ProjectorReviews.com measured 1115 lumens and projectorcentral.com measured 1863 lumens in medium lamp setting. Is there a consensus in the community on light output of this projector?

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...-lamp-settings

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epso...ge=Performance

post #4 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsong View Post
if you can afford 5040UB, get the 5040UB. It's a no brainer. Better lens, better image, better brightness.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the point.

From what I've read, however, I'm not sure the 5030UB is the Ferrari of projectors. If I pulled up in a Ferrari vs. a Camaro my wife would definitely notice the difference, but I am a bit skeptical that she will notice the difference between these projectors. So I'm not sure the analogy works. ; )

Would love to hear if anyone has experience with both. I get that the 5030UB is a better unit - but how dramatically different is the quality of the picture?
post #5 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
@Joe.Swirls , your question would likely be better answered in the 5040UB owners thread.

@jwhn , your question is tough to answer because we all see things a little differently. I just upgraded an old 720p projector to a new Sony HW45ES and can see a big difference. My wife, however, barely notices. So it really does depend on one's level of sensitivity to image quality. We can all tell you what works best for our own personal preferences and viewing environment but we can't say what would work best for someone else.

The HT2050 is frequently mentioned as the best all-around projector for <$1,000 while the 5040UB is often called the best all-around projector for <$3,000. So either way you would essentially have "best in class." For someone new to front projection the HT2050 is might impressive. For those with more experience and a fine eye for detail the 5040UB is certainly worth the extra money. But there's no way to predict how everyone will perceive the difference, especially when viewing a 120" screen from 16' where all the finer details may not be as obvious.

Beyond image quality the 5040UB has some useful features like a much longer throw range which will allow for mounting at longer distance than the HT2050. And the 5040UB's extensive horizontal and vertical lens shift means you don't have to sweat out mounting at a specific height or being perfectly centered on the screen. However, you could get all of those benefits by moving up to the Epson 3100, which for half the price of the 5040UB also has a longer throw than the HT2050 plus extensive horizontal and vertical lens shift.

The most obvious difference between the HT2050/3100 and 5040UB is that the 5040UB will have superior black levels. However, any ambient light dramatically reduces black levels with any projector. In fact with enough ambient light the 3100 begins to become a more viable option as it's brighter than either of the others.

Buying your first projector is always the hardest because experience plays a big role in understanding how to sort through all the sometimes conflicting factors. I would suggest taking your time, seeing what others have to say, reading reviews and, most of all, looking within and trying to understand what's most important to you.
post #6 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 333
http://projectiondream.com/en/contra...r-environment/

http://projectiondream.com/en/review...or-benq-w2000/

jwhn, I bet your wife wouldn't say the difference in quality is worth the $1800ish difference in your viewing environment.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
My width limited HT: Epson HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.3; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 2 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #7 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:

Yeah. I own the BenQ 2050 and it's a fantastic projector but the Epson 5040UB is a different ball game. It's also 3-4 times the price (or more depending on sales). So, understand that this isn't a knock on the BenQ- just an observation as these are in two different classes of product.

Epson sells their own 2040/2045 and 3100 to compete with the BenQ 2050/3050 so not sure how you arrived at this wide of a margin.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #8 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@Joe.Swirls , your question would likely be better answered in the 5040UB owners thread.

@jwhn , your question is tough to answer because we all see things a little differently. I just upgraded an old 720p projector to a new Sony HW45ES and can see a big difference. My wife, however, barely notices. So it really does depend on one's level of sensitivity to image quality. We can all tell you what works best for our own personal preferences and viewing environment but we can't say what would work best for someone else.

The HT2050 is frequently mentioned as the best all-around projector for <$1,000 while the 5040UB is often called the best all-around projector for <$3,000. So either way you would essentially have "best in class." For someone new to front projection the HT2050 is might impressive. For those with more experience and a fine eye for detail the 5040UB is certainly worth the extra money. But there's no way to predict how everyone will perceive the difference, especially when viewing a 120" screen from 16' where all the finer details may not be as obvious.

Beyond image quality the 5040UB has some useful features like a much longer throw range which will allow for mounting at longer distance than the HT2050. And the 5040UB's extensive horizontal and vertical lens shift means you don't have to sweat out mounting at a specific height or being perfectly centered on the screen. However, you could get all of those benefits by moving up to the Epson 3100, which for half the price of the 5040UB also has a longer throw than the HT2050 plus extensive horizontal and vertical lens shift.

The most obvious difference between the HT2050/3100 and 5040UB is that the 5040UB will have superior black levels. However, any ambient light dramatically reduces black levels with any projector. In fact with enough ambient light the 3100 begins to become a more viable option as it's brighter than either of the others.

Buying your first projector is always the hardest because experience plays a big role in understanding how to sort through all the sometimes conflicting factors. I would suggest taking your time, seeing what others have to say, reading reviews and, most of all, looking within and trying to understand what's most important to you.
Very helpful and reasonable answer. I will see if I can compare the two directly...
post #9 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhn View Post

From what I've read, however, I'm not sure the 5030UB is the Ferrari of projectors. If I pulled up in a Ferrari vs. a Camaro my wife would definitely notice the difference, but I am a bit skeptical that she will notice the difference between these projectors. So I'm not sure the analogy works. ; )

Would love to hear if anyone has experience with both. I get that the 5030UB is a better unit - but how dramatically different is the quality of the picture?
5040UB will have much more correct color, better lens meaning better sharpness, lens shift, quieter operation, 4K capability, reliability, brightness, better blacks, better contrast.
post #10 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
lol, if the Benq is a Camaro then my XGIMI is a GTR

Proud owner and residential fan of the XGIMI H1 - Check out my H1 REVIEW!
post #11 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
5040UB will have much more correct color, better lens meaning better sharpness, lens shift, quieter operation, 4K capability, reliability, brightness, better blacks, better contrast.
All true except reliability.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #12 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklee View Post
lol, if the Benq is a Camaro then my XGIMI is a GTR

I'd take the new Camaro ZL1 over Godzilla everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

post #13 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I'd take the new Camaro ZL1 over Godzilla everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.
That's fine, but I'll take mine through the snow, rain and ice anytime and anywhere

post #14 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's fine, but I'll take mine through the snow, rain and ice anytime and anywhere
That's a noob move my friend. See, what you do is you buy TWO cars. That way you have one for dry and one for wet. Should be easy considering the prodigious price of that souped-up Nissan.

post #15 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Get the Epson 5040UB if you can. The Benq HT2050 will only display greys instead of blacks in dark scenes. Always get the best pj you can afford the first time.
Gorilla Killa likes this.
post #16 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
That's a noob move my friend. See, what you do is you buy TWO cars. That way you have one for dry and one for wet. Should be easy considering the prodigious price of that souped-up Nissan.
lol, noob move? You do know that I don't have to deal with double insurance, taxes, extra tires, parking space, services and maintenance that comes with trying to keep 2 cars for that purpose.

We're way beyond one-dimensional products these days my friend
sage11x likes this.

post #17 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
lol, noob move? You do know that I don't have to deal with double insurance, taxes, extra tires, parking space, services and maintenance that comes with trying to keep 2 cars for that purpose.

Is this a car discussion thread?
post #18 of 70 Old 04-14-2017, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the input. I got the 5040UB to try it out. I'm sure you all know the company already, but I got if from the Projector People. Very impressed with how helpful they are (honest perspective without a sales pitch) and they allow a 30 day trial with free return shipping if it doesn't work out.
post #19 of 70 Old 04-15-2017, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You're making the jack of all trades, master of none argument. The GTR is a miserable winter car because it's too low. It's a miserable commuter because it's a coupe and the rear seat is tiny. And it's a miserable sports car because it's too heavy, too insulated and you can only have an automatic transmission. Once you get tired of launch control the GTR is about as fun to drive as a minivan. There I said it.

For the price and maintenance of that one GTR you could easily have two brand new cars that do each of their respective roles better. The GTR is $110k! You could buy a Corvette Grand Sport or a GT350R or even a Porsche Cayman AND get yourself a fully loaded domestic/japanese SUV or a very well optioned small German sedan for that much loot.

Aaaaand now we're completely off topic. Lol!

post #20 of 70 Old 04-15-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the input. I got the 5040UB to try it out. I'm sure you all know the company already, but I got if from the Projector People. Very impressed with how helpful they are (honest perspective without a sales pitch) and they allow a 30 day trial with free return shipping if it doesn't work out.
There is basically no situation where the 5040 is a bad choice. Maybe if you have a dedicated, optimized room and you want the best contrast/black levels available you give up something vs a higher end LCoS model but the Epson gives you a ton for your money and you're essentially 'future proofed' for a few years thanks to the ability of the Epson to accept UHD. I personally don't have the space or the budget to put the 5040 in my setup but it's the projector I would upgrade to if I had the ability. That said, I'm very happy with my BenQ 2050 and plan to stick with it.

post #21 of 70 Old 04-15-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
You're making the jack of all trades, master of none argument.
lol, actually no. The car (off topic) and metaphor (on topic) speak for themselves with plenty of resources on the internet to back it up and multi-functional purposes is always better than singular. It's really up to you continue to do more research.

And as for this,

Quote:
The GTR is a miserable winter car because it's too low. It's a miserable commuter because it's a coupe and the rear seat is tiny. And it's a miserable sports car because it's too heavy, too insulated and you can only have an automatic transmission. Once you get tired of launch control the GTR is about as fun to drive as a minivan. There I said it.
All I can say that if this is your conclusion then it's sorely lacking in depth analytically, so please refer to my previous paragraph I'm a car guy so I'll let it go because I also agree that this is getting off topic

post #22 of 70 Old 04-15-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Let's not use the car metaphors (too easy for me and it will get off topic really easily). The Epson is a good projector if you're seeking the features and functionalities that it has. You have to remember that it's still a 1080p projector like the hundreds of other projectors out there where price is the only real differentiation. Only you can decide if paying a little more or a little less makes sense to you for projectors with pretty much the same specs that's not even 4K. Most regular people, wives and kids actually don't care about specs, they only care about the big size, surround sound and the movie itself. So some buyers think that a $500 budget is enough, while others are willing to spend $2000 and more. I personally wouldn't buy it when 4K is possibly around the corner, so I would want to invest more money into that than into an expensive "filler" projector.

post #23 of 70 Old 04-15-2017, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

But my question is - will the Epson provide a significantly better picture when watching 1080p HD? Said another way, would my wife say...."wow, the Epson looks a lot better than the BenQ". Or is the difference in picture quality negligible?
I was waiting to get my hands on an Epson 5040UB/6040UB for a long time as a HUGE step up from my Sony Bravia VPL-AW15 (720p) and I was finally able to over the Christmas holidays in 2016. I bought a basically new 6040 from a AVS member but as a couple projects at work dragged on and I couldn't close them in time, I had to sell it after about 2 or 3 weeks. So then I was left back with the relatively dark picture of the AW15 until last month when I upgraded again to the BenQ HT2050.

Couple notes about my setup - No windows, unfinished space being used for my HT. Currently a 7.1.2 setup with a DIY screen of white spandex over black spandex, approximately 129" W x 53.75" H screen (2.4:1).

When we were using our Sony VPL-AW15, we basically couldn't watch dark content even in my light controlled room which includes Game of Thrones and some Harry Potter movies. When we got the Epson 6040UB - WOW, it was just a different world. But you're talking about going from roughly 1100 lumens to 2500 lumens so it not to be expected. Plus, not only did I go from 720p content to 1080p but it was that 1080p/4K enhanced thang that the 5040/6040 does. So much sharper and brighter at the big projector screen size right?

When I got rid of the Epson, I couldn't watch the Sony anymore. I just couldn't. So at that point I knew I needed to get another projector which is kind of how I found the BenQ HT2050. I got a good deal on it from a local Craigslister and I read reviews on here so I was pretty optimistic so I took it home and put it up.

I think most of us on the Forum are more sensitive to audio and video than most others (typically including our spouses) so MY opinion is that it isn't as good as the Epson but MUCH better than my Sony. How much better is the Epson?... Hard to say. I would say the Epson is def better, my eyes feel like it's better but the HT2050 has quieted the "itch" I've had to get the 5040 since I heard of its announcement which I think say something.

Also, I JUST called my wife who took the kids to Six Flags today. Here's the conversation:

Me: "Hey!"
Wife: "Hey, I'm going on a ride, what do you need?"
Me: "Remember that super projector I had?"
Wife: "Yeah."
Me: "Well you know the projector I have now?"
Me: "Do you think the super projector was a lot better than the current one?"
Wife: "Um, maybe a little bit better but I only saw like one thing on the new projector"

I have watched a variety of content on both (6040/HT2050) - Movies, Games, Shows etc and I think while Epson is def better, the HT2050 will probably hold you over. I think some of the things you're not talking about which do deserve consideration is the horizontal and vertical lens shift of the Epsons, their zooms and lens memory. Being able to program all the different aspect ratios into the Epson (2.4, 2.35, 1.85, 1.77, whatever) and just press a button and have it resize... IT WAS MAGIC. So if you want to be able to do have your content fill up your entire screen, man the Epson is amazing. The BenQ doesn't have any of that. You have to manually zoom, only Vert lens shift... It was a pain in the neck to just set it up much less adjusting it to diff sized content (which I haven't and won't do).

We've already seen some discounts on the Epson 5040 so personally I'm waiting to hear on the Optoma UHD60 projector. Lots o people think that it will be sharper than the Epson so I'm very curious. If the Epson and Optoma are similar priced but Epson has lens memory and all that and I'd prob go Epson. But for me right now, the BenQ HT2050 is doing jusssssssssssssst fine!
Aceklub96 likes this.
post #24 of 70 Old 04-15-2017, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushMackel View Post
I was waiting to get my hands on an Epson 5040UB/6040UB for a long time as a HUGE step up from my Sony Bravia VPL-AW15 (720p) and I was finally able to over the Christmas holidays in 2016. I bought a basically new 6040 from a AVS member but as a couple projects at work dragged on and I couldn't close them in time, I had to sell it after about 2 or 3 weeks. So then I was left back with the relatively dark picture of the AW15 until last month when I upgraded again to the BenQ HT2050.

Couple notes about my setup - No windows, unfinished space being used for my HT. Currently a 7.1.2 setup with a DIY screen of white spandex over black spandex, approximately 129" W x 53.75" H screen (2.4:1).

When we were using our Sony VPL-AW15, we basically couldn't watch dark content even in my light controlled room which includes Game of Thrones and some Harry Potter movies. When we got the Epson 6040UB - WOW, it was just a different world. But you're talking about going from roughly 1100 lumens to 2500 lumens so it not to be expected. Plus, not only did I go from 720p content to 1080p but it was that 1080p/4K enhanced thang that the 5040/6040 does. So much sharper and brighter at the big projector screen size right?

When I got rid of the Epson, I couldn't watch the Sony anymore. I just couldn't. So at that point I knew I needed to get another projector which is kind of how I found the BenQ HT2050. I got a good deal on it from a local Craigslister and I read reviews on here so I was pretty optimistic so I took it home and put it up.

I think most of us on the Forum are more sensitive to audio and video than most others (typically including our spouses) so MY opinion is that it isn't as good as the Epson but MUCH better than my Sony. How much better is the Epson?... Hard to say. I would say the Epson is def better, my eyes feel like it's better but the HT2050 has quieted the "itch" I've had to get the 5040 since I heard of its announcement which I think say something.

Also, I JUST called my wife who took the kids to Six Flags today. Here's the conversation:

Me: "Hey!"
Wife: "Hey, I'm going on a ride, what do you need?"
Me: "Remember that super projector I had?"
Me: "Well you know the projector I have now?"
Me: "Do you think the super projector was a lot better than the current one?"
Wife: "Um, maybe a little bit better but I only saw like one thing on the new projector"

I have watched a variety of content on both (6040/HT2050) - Movies, Games, Shows etc and I think while Epson is def better, the HT2050 will probably hold you over. I think some of the things you're not talking about which do deserve consideration is the horizontal and vertical lens shift of the Epsons, their zooms and lens memory. Being able to program all the different aspect ratios into the Epson (2.4, 2.35, 1.85, 1.77, whatever) and just press a button and have it resize... IT WAS MAGIC. So if you want to be able to do have your content fill up your entire screen, man the Epson is amazing. The BenQ doesn't have any of that. You have to manually zoom, only Vert lens shift... It was a pain in the neck to just set it up much less adjusting it to diff sized content (which I haven't and won't do).

We've already seen some discounts on the Epson 5040 so personally I'm waiting to hear on the Optoma UHD60 projector. Lots o people think that it will be sharper than the Epson so I'm very curious. If the Epson and Optoma are similar priced but Epson has lens memory and all that and I'd prob go Epson. But for me right now, the BenQ HT2050 is doing jusssssssssssssst fine!
Wow fantastic and super helpful answer! And brownie points for calling the wife on my behalf! And to be honest, that is the kind of answer I would expect. Aside from the other benefits, the lens shift is a big deal because I plan to install it myself and likely won't get it placed perfectly on the ceiling.
post #25 of 70 Old 04-15-2017, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You have to remember that it's still a 1080p projector like the hundreds of other projectors out there where price is the only real differentiation...I personally wouldn't buy it when 4K is possibly around the corner, so I would want to invest more money into that than into an expensive "filler" projector.
Thanks for the reply. So you are essentially saying here that the 4K enhancement feature is no different than 1080p, correct? Or at least you haven't acknowledged the feature in your response. I'm assuming (based on what I've read) that when sitting 16' feet away it will be difficult to tell the difference between true 4K and the Epson's enhanced 4K.
post #26 of 70 Old 04-15-2017, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Are you getting an ht2050 as well to compare? If you don't you probably won't be returning the 5040ub to test the cheaper projector. The 4k enhancement is a noticeable difference when it is turned on.
post #27 of 70 Old 04-15-2017, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
Are you getting an ht2050 as well to compare? If you don't you probably won't be returning the 5040ub to test the cheaper projector. The 4k enhancement is a noticeable difference when it is turned on.
I'm starting to narrow in on the Epson as my choice. I saw a video of the lens shift and I think that will be important for a first time DIY installer. And I like the idea that it has 4K compatibility (I've heard its maybe 70% as good as true 4K when viewing up close with very little noticeable difference when viewing further back).
post #28 of 70 Old 04-15-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
lol, actually no. The car (off topic) and metaphor (on topic) speak for themselves with plenty of resources on the internet to back it up and multi-functional purposes is always better than singular. It's really up to you continue to do more research.

And as for this,

All I can say that if this is your conclusion then it's sorely lacking in depth analytically, so please refer to my previous paragraph I'm a car guy so I'll let it go because I also agree that this is getting off topic
Off topic? We're off FORUM at this point! Lol!

I daily a real sports car (not a muscle sedan in drag or a hot hatch) so I might be a little more particular than most other car enthusiasts.

post #29 of 70 Old 04-15-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow fantastic and super helpful answer! And brownie points for calling the wife on my behalf! And to be honest, that is the kind of answer I would expect. Aside from the other benefits, the lens shift is a big deal because I plan to install it myself and likely won't get it placed perfectly on the ceiling.
Just a quick note: you don't have to leap to the 5040 to get good lens adjustment. The Epson 3100 at $1300 MSRP, BenQ 4050 at $1400 MSRP and Sony 45ES at $2000 MSRP all do lens shift. Not saying: don't get the 5040-- I'm just still wondering why you're only looking at these two projectors in two completely different price classes when there are many choices in between?

post #30 of 70 Old 04-15-2017, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just a quick note: you don't have to leap to the 5040 to get good lens adjustment. The Epson 3100 at $1300 MSRP, BenQ 4050 at $1400 MSRP and Sony 45ES at $2000 MSRP all do lens shift. Not saying: don't get the 5040-- I'm just still wondering why you're only looking at these two projectors in two completely different price classes when there are many choices in between?
Good points. The comparison at different price points I asked in my question was intentional. Instead I could have asked the question as...at what price point do I get the most bang for the buck on a projector?

But I also understand that it's hard for people to provide an answer because it depends on what I want / need.

Maybe I will check out one at each price tier to experience the differences directly.
Aceklub96 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP