Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Library Recommendation

I'm hoping to get some advice in regards to replacing a projector. I will be
replacing a Mitsubishi HC1500. It is going in a library were it will be
used to watch movies from a BlueRay player and give presentations from a
Laptop. The screen on the wall is 7'8" wide by 4'4" height. The
distance from the screen to the projector is 14'3". It is a ceiling
mounted projector. It gets used pretty heavily. Can't quite figure out all the throw range stuff. I really want to be able to just buy a new projector and mount it in the same spot its in now. So my biggest concern is making sure it has the appropriate zoom to fit the screen at the distance I will be mounting. I did email Epson and they recommend the Epson Cinema 3100. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-18-2017, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 256
The 3100 is the least expensive projector with lens shift so yes thats what I would recommend unless you want to spend more then the Sony 45es or even the Epson 5040, both would work but operating costs would go up also as lamps cost more.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I second the 3100. Lamps are only $100 on Epson UK as well.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
The Epson doesn't have enough lens shift to work if the Mitsubishi is properly mounted.

Please check to let us know how far the top of your screen is from the ceiling and how far from the ceiling the center of the lens is on the projector. If properly mounted, with no keystone correction, the Mitsubishi should be 17" higher than the top of the screen. The Epson will not support that much lens shift on a 106" diagonal. Instead you really would need a model with a ton of lens shift like the older Epson 8350/8345, the Epson 5030, or Epson 5040 models.

If you can lower the projection mount a foot or so, or if the lens really is already only a few inches higher than the screen, then the Epson 3100 or 3700 models are a nice option.

The list of models which support a 14'3" throw distance to a 106" diagonal screen is pretty long:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...sort=pop&sz=15

But, the Mitsubishi had extremely high lens offset, which no projectors today have and lens shift rarely covers that much distance. So, I would plan on extending the mount by a foot or more to drop the projector to the right height (a few inches above the screen). If it already is at that height, then the Mitsubishi is likely pointed upwards a bit and is using keystone correction. Which actually is to your benefit. A photo or two of your current setup would be helpful.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Do you have light control in the room? I have the LG PF1500 led projector (2016) and a Mitsubishi 3800 (2009). The LG is very bright, but the blacks aren't great and placement isn't very flexible. It works very well with some ambient light and a grey screen. The LG sits on the table top and the Mitsubishi on a shelf 20" below to give you an idea of the offset differences between manufacturers. The 3800 blew at 3,000 hour, but the LG should effectively last forever.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2044 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Just to be clear, the 1,400-lumen LG PF1500 is not "very bright" when compared with a 2,600-lumen Epson 3100 or even the 1,600-lumen Mitsubishi HC1500. If extra brightness over the already very bright 3100 is required the 3,000-lumen Epson 3700 adds an extra 400 lumens for $200 more than the 3100. Either Epson should be brighter when running in low lamp mode than the HC1500 is in high lamp mode, and running in low lamp will result in longer lamp life and reduced operating costs.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes the Mitsubishi is tilted upwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	2093593   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	2093601   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	2093609  
post #8 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
So, in all seriousness, I was thinking this was like a home library, but it appears to be a school setup or something similar. That's cool, but this is a long way from a critical viewing environment.

The Mitsubishi was giving up lumens and image quality due to the upward angle and the required use of keystone correction to make it fit the screen properly.

The Epson 3700 will work better than the old Mitsubishi did. It will be brighter, and will be more flexible with the setup.

It's $1,300 on Amazon right now: https://www.amazon.com/Epson-PowerLi.../dp/B01LZZ7O1M

About the only thing that bugs me is that they have a fairly high replacement lamp cost ($300) while other models from Epson, like the 1440, use $99 replacement lamps.

I would expect that you would go through a lamp a year (or so) in a high use environment like that, which will make lamp costs add up. You ALWAYS want to use factory replacement lamps in projectors that you need to maintain the highest reliability from, so that $200 extra will add up over time.

Be aware that all the connectivity your Mits. has really is no longer typical. I see VGA, HDMI, component video, and composite video connected to the projector. That's a lot of connections which have all basically been replaced with HDMI. So, be aware that a model like the 3700 only has VGA and HDMI on it. No component video or composite video is available.

I'm not sure what you are doing for audio in the room, but it appears that there is not audio connection on the current setup, so I'm assuming that's being handled by an A/V receiver or similar.

You will get easy placement with the 3700 which is nice, but I would look at the Epson 1440 as well. The 1440 may not be perfect in terms of the mounting height, but will work from the same distance and has inexpensive replacement lamps with plenty of brightness for that location.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I would suggest a crossover business projector. They should accept all your inputs you have now. They will have some bright settings for the ambient lighting you show and will have modes with less lumens and better quality color reproductions for watching movie like images with the lights turned down. They will also be less expensive.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page