Which one the Epson 3500 or Benq ht2050 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jasonsong
  • 1 Post By Hddisplay

post #1 of 10 Old Today, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Which one the Epson 3500 or Benq ht2050

Anyone every compare the 2. How does the black levels, sharpness and colors compare with these 2 projectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Today, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 128
From what I heard the 2050 black is not that black for a DLP projector which is kinda odd.
As for the Epson, it's gonna be much brighter than the 2050 I imagine.
post #3 of 10 Old Today, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The 3100 is better and about the same price as the 3500.

Way better PQ and placement flexibility than the BenQ IMO.

post #4 of 10 Old Today, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 873
The BenQ 2050 will produce a picture with about 2-3 times more contrast than the 3500. So in that choice I'd say HT2050 BUT.....

You're looking at the wrong Epson. Don't look at the 3500-- as Theron said look at the 3100. The 3100 would be a much better choice than the 3500. The 3500 is several years old now and the 3100 is a brand new model. It's hard to tell with the model numbers but the 3000/3500 are old, 3100/3700 are new. Epson made significant improvements to the new models including adding features and improving color quality and contrast.

With that said: the 2050 is currently retailing for around $700 while the 3100 is currently $1300 so it's nearly twice the price but it is certainly not twice the picture quality. Both are excellent values for money so it really comes down to budget and what you want in terms of features and installation flexibility. Both have their pros and cons. It should be noted that these two aren't really competitors for one another. The BenQ is more a competitor for the sub $1k projectors like the Epson 2040/2045 while BenQ makes the HT4050 to compete with the Epson 3100. The HT2050 is popular due to it's picture quality where it punches way above it's price class so it tends to be dragged into these comparisons where it maybe doesn't have any business competing. The last thread I participated in had the HT2050 running against an Epson 5040Ub so this is less extreme for sure.

To answer your question: The 3100 will have better black levels and will be overall brighter. The 3100 uses Epson's excellent iris to help improve black levels and dynamic contrast. Keep in mind that the iris movement is not exactly invisible but most don't seem to mind it. In either case most everyone seems to agree it's benefits out weigh it's negatives. Native contrast is actually virtually identical between these projectors. Epson uses 3LCD which tends to produce a very bright and colorful picture but does suffer from the typical LCD characteristics of convergence and motion blur. Epson has implemented CFI on this model to combat the blur and from what I've seen with my hands on time of the 3700 the convergence is much better than on prior models. The really big deal about the 3100 is it's competitive picture quality combined with it's placement flexibility. If you are setting up a projector for the first time I cannot overstate how nice it is to have generous zoom as well as vertical AND horizontal lens shift. This projector is very easy to fit into any room.

The HT2050, as I stated isn't really in the same category as the 3100. As such it has MUCH less placement flexibility. You get a little bit of zoom and a modicum of lens shift-- vertical only. I hesitate to knock it for this though as in it's price class this is way more than most of it's competitors offer. Still, you might find you're fitting the room to the projector due to the limitations. On the plus side the BenQ has a shorter throw than the 3100 so it can project a larger image without needing as much distance to the screen. The HT2050 is a single chip DLP. It is bright but isn't as bright as the 3100. Both will satisfy in a mixed use room but the 3100 will likely have an advantage in ambient light. Typical to DLP, native contrast is good and the projected image is VERY sharp. DLP typically has an edge in sharpness due to it's single chip design and high pixel fill. Keep in mind that single chip DLP can produce an effect call RBE or Rainbow effect. This is an issue where the viewer is able to perceive the sequential color creation of the DLP light engine as a rainbow trailing high contrast fast moving objects. The BenQ's use of a high speed RGBRGB color wheel mitigates this for the vast majority of users but your mileage may vary. Conversely, the BenQ has superior motion resolution and does not blur. The HT2050 has no CFI feature though so if you're into that you'll need to look elsewhere.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; Today at 08:50 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old Today, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

I am confused I thought the 3500(older model) is equal to the 3100 don't they have the same components and same specs I mean what has changed. Is the picture quality that much better on the 3100 to the 3500. The reason I was asking is Visual Apex has a great price for a refurb 3500.
post #6 of 10 Old Today, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 128
The new models have CFI and new LCD panels with higher contrast. But I think the 3700 is the upgrade for 3500. 3100 is upgrade for 3000.
sage11x likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old Today, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 873
The 3500 is an older projector that has something like 600 or 700:1 native contrast. LCD has gotten FAR better since then. The case looks the same but the guts have changed dramatically. The 3100/3700 produces somewhere in the realm of 1500-1600:1 native and with the iris engaged that number jumps to somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000:1. The BenQ HT2050 is around 1700:1 but drops to 1600:1 when you disable brilliant color (which you would do in a dark room if color accuracy is important to you) and has no iris to help it out. What you see is what you get. Secrets of HiFi actually tested the 3100's native contrast at 2000:1 but then they also tested the HT2150 (a short throw version of the HT2050 that has an almost identical picture) at 2000:1 also so their testing methodology seems to produce higher numbers.

It should be mentioned that neither of these projectors is considered an 'ultra high contrast' model. For that you'll need to step up to the Sony 45ES which is generally considered the entry level into a higher tier of home theater projectors.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #8 of 10 Old Today, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Sage you have been a real help. Thanks You have very good knowledge about projectors. I guess I will rule out the Epson 3500. Now the hard part which one the benq ht2050 or the epson 3100. Man decision, decisions!!!!!!!!!! LOL
sage11x likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Single chip DLP is inherently sharper than 3-panel LCD because there are no convergence issues with a single chip. If you have no experience with projectors it's hard to explain. But some people are absolutely addicted to the DLP "look" even though it doesn't produce the greatest blacks. If at all possible you should try to find a way to view each type of projector and select the one that looks best to your eyes as you may have different personal preferences from those trying to give you advice based on their experience and preferences.
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Yeah, just buy both and return the one you don't like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP