Anyone using a projector as a monitor due to eye strain? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By bud16415
  • 1 Post By bud16415
  • 1 Post By dreamer

post #1 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
A B

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone using a projector as a monitor due to eye strain?

My eyes have gotten so bad that I can barely look at a monitor for more than 5 minutes without them burning. Looking to try a projector as monitor for a while to see if it helps. I know nothing about projectors and researching them isn't easy for the obvious reasons.
If anyone has been doing this or have any recommendations it would be greatly appropriated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by A B View Post
My eyes have gotten so bad that I can barely look at a monitor for more than 5 minutes without them burning. Looking to try a projector as monitor for a while to see if it helps. I know nothing about projectors and researching them isn't easy for the obvious reasons.
If anyone has been doing this or have any recommendations it would be greatly appropriated.
If it's only a size thing what about trying in HDTV as a monitor? Much cheaper unless it's the brightness of them that's giving you problems?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Is the monitor too small? Is the text too small? Is the monitor too bright? Explain "burning".

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

post #4 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I use my projector to web surf some and it works fine. The thing is for a projector to work best it needs to be in a dark room. Office lighting will cause more problems than it will fix. My vision is still 20/20 but I do need reading / computer glasses. The great thing about my projector the distance to the screen is well within my good vision without glasses. I could do the same thing if I had a 42” UHD TV as a monitor and as suggested above I would try that before I set up a projector as a monitor. Prices are really great on midsized flat panel TVs now.

Bud
post #5 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
@A B , I agree with others who point out that it would be a waste of money to buy a projector hoping it would cure your eyestrain issue. You really should make some effort to discover what part of the computer monitor viewing experience is causing eyestrain. For example, I need reading glasses for close up work and had to wear reading glasses for my old small computer monitor. By going to a larger monitor and moving it further back on the desk I can now use my computer without wearing reading glasses.

You might find that sitting further away from a larger monitor might cure your eyestrain. It could also be excessive brightness in your monitor or other issues. Spend some time figuring out exactly what's causing the eyestrain before throwing money at the issue.
sage11x and dmarqueset like this.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

All the above said I agree, but then again if AB can get a projector and screen out of this deal maybe he’s on the right track.
sage11x likes this.

Bud
post #7 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
A B

I think it's more the brightness. Any screen at any distance hurts my eyes(phone, tv, laptops, etc). The brighter the screen the worse it gets. Been dealing with it for over a decade now so I've tried many things, some of which have helped a little like Gunnar computer glasses, eye lubricants, different monitors with matte screens, different lighting...
I work from home so I can make the room as dark as it needs to be but probably not a good idea since the screen would appear brighter. I don't do any graphic work, mostly browsing the web and reading so resolution isn't too important.
I just bought 2 projectors from Amazon to try out. Hopping I can set them on my desk in front of me and project the screen on the wall about 17-20" away. We shall see.
These are the 2 I ordered(couldn't post links)
WOWOTO H8 Video Projector DLP LED 1280x800 HD
Mobile Pico Video Projector Portable Mini Pocket Size
post #8 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Projectors will be even worst because of the extreme contrast of the bright screen and the pitch black surroundings.

You simply need to switch monitors and adjust your brightness as well as have enough lighting around you for your eyes to "adjust/strain less" . Another poster had posted his problems with projectors causing him eyestrains, I believe he's still running through different projectors as if one of them will somehow solve his problem.

XGIMI H1 (SmartProj) - Swan M200MkIII (Speakers) - Bluedio UFO Plus (BassHead) - Sony MDR CD3000 (UnicornHead)
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
Just kicking butt everyday :-)
post #9 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
A B

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklee View Post
Projectors will be even worst because of the extreme contrast of the bright screen and the pitch black surroundings.

You simply need to switch monitors and adjust your brightness as well as have enough lighting around you for your eyes to "adjust/strain less" . Another poster had posted his problems with projectors causing him eyestrains, I believe he's still running through different projectors as if one of them will somehow solve his problem.
The reason I thought about using a projector is because my eyes don't hurt at the movies. Unless it's a very bright scene. Adjusting lighting with the monitor and the surrounding has done little to help. I'll never stop trying different things but so far nothing has helped much.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have you been to an eye doctor?
sage11x likes this.

Bud
post #11 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
A B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Have you been to an eye doctor?
Yep. 3 different ophthalmologists. Vision is fine. They said I have slightly dry eyes which Systane Ultra eye drops helped tremendously but the problem with monitors is still there. This was 6 years ago so maybe I should go and see someone again, hopefully they've learned how to deal with computer eye syndrome now.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
The reason I thought about using a projector is because my eyes don't hurt at the movies. Unless it's a very bright scene. Adjusting lighting with the monitor and the surrounding has done little to help. I'll never stop trying different things but so far nothing has helped much.
If a cinema doesn't bother you, but a monitor or phone screen does, then it may simply be distance issue. Your eyes may be straining to focus on any screen that is closer than a certain distance away, in which case a projected image still only two feet in front of you won't help. You say that a TV bothers you, but you are probably not sitting real close to a TV screen, so if distance is the issue it must be a 10+ foot minimum. Or ... it is simply a brightness or glare issue. Do your eyes also burn when looking at a light bulb ?

A projected image might very well help -- as long as it is large and far away. A projector's light reflecting off a matte screen surface has a very different quality to it than a light SOURCE like a TV or monitor.
Archaea likes this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #13 of 21 Old 05-24-2017, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I tried on the new Xiaomi Sunglasses & they made reading on the phone very comfortable, it's like those kindle but with very light background. seems like they use some kind of special lens. Mind you, projectors are all about Brightness (Lumens)

Quote:
The Turok Steinhardt anti-Blue ray glasses is made of a yellow nano-material which offers three different level of protection. The glasses can be used for gaming and it protects the eyes from the powerful graphics which extreme games come with. It also offers usage for ophthalmic purposes, helping to absorb blue light rays up to 60%, thus protecting the eyes. It also protects the eyes against glares.
https://www.gizmochina.com/2017/02/1...dt-sunglasses/
https://www.gizmochina.com/2017/03/2...d-249-yuan-36/

Last edited by wheelee; 05-24-2017 at 11:29 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-25-2017, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Do you wear glasses? How often do you go to the cinemas? Everyday? With movies, remember that you have your eyes glued on the screen for 2-3 hours straight, which on a projector is worst because you'll probably be using it far more often. If you're the only one with eye strain issues then get computer glasses with custom tinted lenses.

XGIMI H1 (SmartProj) - Swan M200MkIII (Speakers) - Bluedio UFO Plus (BassHead) - Sony MDR CD3000 (UnicornHead)
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
Just kicking butt everyday :-)
post #15 of 21 Old 05-25-2017, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A few years back there was a system out that made glasses matched to your eyes resting focal distance and the distance from your eyes to the screen. Lots of us wear reading glasses to work on a computer and readers come 1,2,3 in strength and we pick a pair that has a correction based on reading distance on the little chart at the drug store. That doesn’t mean that our eyes are at the resting or sleeping focal length, it just means the readers bring us to a focal point where our eyes can focus the rest of the way. Computer screen resolution is much better today but is still made up of pixels and there is never a sharp edge to focus on. The way it was explained to me is our vision is always correcting for focus and kind of dithers on a pixel image and to make it worse the muscles are always holding the eye at the same focal point because we don’t alter our distance to the screen. Some of us that have to look to type at least get a little break when typing and my eye doctor told me at the very first sign of eye fatigue to look away over the tops of my reading glasses and focus on something at a distance. I never bought the glasses in the system as they were kind of expensive but I played around with different strengths of readers and doing the distance focus thing and monitors got better and most of my problems went away.

Not saying this will help or if a projector will help just some ideas to look into. The theory behind the at rest focal length is that if you can hit that spot with corrective lens the muscles in your eye are not pulling in just one direction and then dithering, rather they are dithering in both direction of a resting eye. I saw it as like resting your arm on the desk and using the mouse all day or trying to hold your arm straight out and then use the mouse. It sounded logical.

Bud
post #16 of 21 Old 06-18-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I have the same problem. It's also been going on for about 10 years, but I didn't really become aware of it until I started using computers all day every day for work. I can use computers fine for a few hours, but after this my eyes start burning and I feel nauseous and light headed. It's especially bad if I have to do a lot of focused work like reading. And it seems to be worse with very light background, e.g. black text on white background. So I also think it must be a sensitivity to the backlight.

I've also considered trying a projector, because I imagine with it being reflected light as opposed to direct light it might be easier on the eyes. I'd be interested to find out if it helps you if you do end up trying it. There's also a company called Dasung who offer e-ink monitors. I bought one and tried it and it never gave me any problems with my eyes, but unfortunately I could never get the monitor itself to work properly. I hope the technology improves soon thought and they release a cheaper/more reliable model.
post #17 of 21 Old 08-29-2017, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
some of which have helped a little like Gunnar computer glasses, eye lubricants, different monitors with matte screens, different lighting...
I have also had a similar problem for a couple years, although for me it's more of headaches. Which one of these worked best for you? I'm considering getting a matte external monitor since right now I only have a 13 inch laptop screen.

Additionally, how did the projector turn out?
post #18 of 21 Old 08-31-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I use my 730HD as a monitor replacement. I have a 140in diagonal image and view it from about 12-13ft away. It is much more comfortable to do this than sit at a computer screen and it is much easier on my eyes. I'll probably replace the 730HD with a HC1040 at some point, for the higher resolution.

I project onto a (TVwhite) painted wall.
post #19 of 21 Old 08-31-2017, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I use FP almost exclusively for PC use and I find it much more comfortable than tiny 30" monitors. You just have to be sure your alignment and focus are perfect, or you will find the text in Word to be uncomfortably hazy.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-29-2017, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought a DLP smart projector,bad decision,it's worse than a monitor,gives me headache and eye pain after a few seconds of watching it.Later I found out that it has a high frequency flicker just like my old LED monitor with PWM.I did some search and it seems that this issue is inevitable due to the principle of DLP technology.
Now my only hope is a Eink monitor,i'll wait another two months to see the new products coming
post #21 of 21 Old 09-29-2017, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xybdhs View Post
I just bought a DLP smart projector,bad decision,it's worse than a monitor,gives me headache and eye pain after a few seconds of watching it.Later I found out that it has a high frequency flicker just like my old LED monitor with PWM.I did some search and it seems that this issue is inevitable due to the principle of DLP technology.
Now my only hope is a Eink monitor,i'll wait another two months to see the new products coming
I haven't had that problem with either of my DLP projectors. You might try looking at a BenQ with a 4x or 6x colour wheel.

Which projector did you get?

I did change from an Epson 730HD to a HC1040 and it is much sharper. At 140in diagonal It's now my main monitor and TV screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page