Optoma UHD60 & UHD65 4K/UHD HDR DLP Projectors Now Available - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 854Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1891 of 1933 Old 09-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodta View Post
Can someone point me to some calibration settings for the uhd65?
Look in the owners thread and Ronny posted some settings.
woodhead2 likes this.

Home Theater: Optoma UHD65, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, XBox One
BondDonBond is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1892 of 1933 Old 09-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Lightbulb Firmware

I just got off the phone with Optoma tech support. They are telling me they are coming out with a firmware for the uhd65. It won’t be ready for about 1.5 week and they are try to figure it out if the firmware can be done at home or you got to send it in.
idean likes this.
Paco180 is offline  
post #1893 of 1933 Old 09-25-2017, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
madbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco180 View Post
I just got off the phone with Optoma tech support. They are telling me they are coming out with a firmware for the uhd65. It won’t be ready for about 1.5 week and they are try to figure it out if the firmware can be done at home or you got to send it in.
Any idea what issues that firmware is supposed to fix, besides the report PAL problems ?
madbrain is offline  
 
post #1894 of 1933 Old 09-25-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,871
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
Any idea what issues that firmware is supposed to fix, besides the report PAL problems ?
Probably will also enable native 24p for the UHD60/UHD65, but definitely the pal issue
Ruined is offline  
post #1895 of 1933 Old 10-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 112
love my uhd60. i got it set now with a new 5.1.4 atmos/dts:x sound system! loving it! = )
am2model3 is offline  
post #1896 of 1933 Old 10-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Member
 
nunyabiziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was on the phone with Optoma support today and was told to call back in one week regarding the uhd65 firmware update. It's still up in the air in regards to if it will be an enduser or service center update. The firmware will fix hdr and picture related issues plus other things.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
nunyabiziz is online now  
post #1897 of 1933 Old 10-02-2017, 03:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyabiziz View Post
I was on the phone with Optoma support today and was told to call back in one week regarding the uhd65 firmware update. It's still up in the air in regards to if it will be an enduser or service center update. The firmware will fix hdr and picture related issues plus other things.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Hmm, sounds like there may be a few goodies....

Love your screen name

Home Theater: Optoma UHD65, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, XBox One
BondDonBond is offline  
post #1898 of 1933 Old 10-05-2017, 06:29 AM
Member
 
Myron_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Probably will also enable native 24p for the UHD60/UHD65, but definitely the pal issue
Speculation. Have to wait and see.
Myron_H is offline  
post #1899 of 1933 Old 10-05-2017, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,871
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post
Speculation. Have to wait and see.
Yep it's speculation, but I believe it was the same batch of info / software from TI that allowed Optoma to enable 50hz that could allow them to also enable 48hz. More a question of whether they put in the work for the latter or just pushed out the former by itself out of time and necessity.
Ruined is offline  
post #1900 of 1933 Old 10-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Johan81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post
Speculation. Have to wait and see.
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...s-4k-really-4k

Interesting read and if all is true about it needing to run at 120Hz to get the pixel shift working at full capacity, this explains why true 24p support is not going to happen ever. But that is assuming what they are saying is true.

Denon AVR-X3300W Receiver used as 5.1.2, Samsung UBD-K8500, Chario Hiper 2000T fronts, Chario Hiper Dialogue Center, Monitor Audio RXFX Side Surrounds, Dual Rel Quake 200E Subwoofers, JBL Control One Middle Top Atmos Ceiling Speakers, Optoma UHD65 4K Projector
Johan81 is offline  
post #1901 of 1933 Old 10-05-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,871
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan81 View Post
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...s-4k-really-4k

Interesting read and if all is true about it needing to run at 120Hz to get the pixel shift working at full capacity, this explains why true 24p support is not going to happen ever. But that is assuming what they are saying is true.
This article has outdated/incorrect information. TI already made available the tools for system integrators to enable true 24p in their August 2017 guidance update for the DLPC4422 that all the dlp 4k projectors use (at 2:2 48hz). Hopefully the author will issue a correction with this information.

Of course it will require some work ($) and implementation firmware so it's not a guarantee current products will receive it. 2018 products it seems like a sure bet out of box feature though.
Johan81 likes this.

Last edited by Ruined; 10-05-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Ruined is offline  
post #1902 of 1933 Old 10-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 9,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
Posts deleted. No price talk or retail links are permitted outside of the designated Deals' areas.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #1903 of 1933 Old 10-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Member
 
woodhead2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Northern Mn
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
If you use max lens shift, does it degrade the picture?
woodhead2 is online now  
post #1904 of 1933 Old 10-09-2017, 03:23 PM
Member
 
nunyabiziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
FYI, I contacted Optoma again today and spoke with Marty and he started the process of RMA to get the firmware updated on my uhd65.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
nunyabiziz is online now  
post #1905 of 1933 Old 10-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Newbie
 
Parsnips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyabiziz View Post
FYI, I contacted Optoma again today and spoke with Marty and he started the process of RMA to get the firmware updated on my uhd65.
Next time you talk to Marty ask when UHD65s are going to be available in volume again
Parsnips is offline  
post #1906 of 1933 Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darinp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,511
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
The fact that they aren't displayed simultaneously is irrelevant (for incoherent light sources).
I hadn't noticed this originally, but what you said here is basically the same as the first position put forth by the "expert". That was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
"But they could pass through at the same time so long as the light was perfectly incoherent"
This "expert" later contradicted himself, but at least at first he knew enough physics to know that even though lenses do not have persistence the lens requirements would be the same whether the 2 eShift sub-frames go through the lens at the same time, or at different times, at least with incoherent light. Whether eShift lens requirements are lower because the 2 sub-frames go through the lens different times was one of the main points of disagreement, so good job matching the first position from the "expert".

With the projectors we deal with I consider the fact that their light is not 100% incoherent to be a pretty minor factor as far as lens requirements, but if somebody really wants to take that factor into account, then for projectors like the Optoma UHD60 and UHD65, where the sub-frames are sent at different times, this actually increases the lens requirements over sending the sub-frames at the same time, not the other way around.

--Darin
darinp is online now  
post #1907 of 1933 Old 10-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Newbie
 
Parsnips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Amazon has the 65s in stock again, yea!
Parsnips is offline  
post #1908 of 1933 Old 10-12-2017, 08:25 PM
aka: HarperVision
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 4,916
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Optoma UHD60 & UHD65 4K/UHD HDR DLP Projectors Now Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnips View Post
Amazon has the 65s in stock again, yea!

Yeah, for ~$258 over MSRP!

I can get it for anyone cheaper than that, sheesh.
rmerlano likes this.
Dave Harper is online now  
post #1909 of 1933 Old 10-12-2017, 10:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can’t get pass 4k to projector.

Within the last two weeks I purchased a new UHD60. At the same time I graded to a Sony SYR-dn10180 receiver. All of this was in preparation for the new Xbox one x when it comes out. I also already had a Roku Premiere box that supports 4k but not hdr. When I connect the Roku player directly to the projector using a one direction 18gbps 50ft dynes hdmi cable I get 4k. When I connect the Roku using a smaller 6ft 18gbps hdmi cable to the projector I get 4k. If I connected the 6ft cable to the Dn1080 receiver and then the 50ft cable from the receiver to the projector I get no 4k image. The Roku device tests the capability to display 4k and says everything checks out but when I switch the projector says no source found. I have tried different 6ft cables through the receiver and nothing works. I tried a new Roku stick+ and that doesn’t help. I took the receiver back and tried another of the same model and it dint work. I tried a different type of receiver (Denon aVR-S930H) and I still have the same problems. On the both types of receivers I have tried turning off and on adult upscaling, hdmi CEc, and hdmi enhancement. None of this changes anything. Sony tech support said maybe the receiver isn’t compatible with the projector but when I use a different receiver it still doesn’t work. My only last solution would be the 50ft hdmi cable but why would it work when being directly connect from Roku to projector but not work when connecting Roku to receiver to projector? I’m really at a loss.
Bioatlas is offline  
post #1910 of 1933 Old 10-13-2017, 09:02 AM
Member
 
RoNNy379CH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: switzerland
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Hi Bioatlas,

please have a look to my solution.

I had no luck with copper cables after integration of my Yamaha CX-A5100 with the UHD65 also.


Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread

BR, Ronald


P.S. have anybody a feedback for homemade enduser Firmware updates due the UHD65?
RoNNy379CH is online now  
post #1911 of 1933 Old 10-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Newbie
 
Parsnips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Yeah, for ~$258 over MSRP!

I can get it for anyone cheaper than that, sheesh.
My concern is that the smaller retailers might be selling the older versions of the projector, which apparently need a substantial update. I don't think I'd want to buy a projector and discover I had to put it back in the box and send it away right after I got it.

Also the Optima web site shows the UHD65 as being New! when in fact a product with that part number was actually released in June... so are there two UHD65s or one UHD65? The UHD60 is on another page at optoma.com and it isn't shown as being new. Weren't both the 65 and 60 released at the same time in June?

https://www.optomausa.com/projectora...on/Home_Cinema

I emailed their support people about this issue and they never got back to me.

Update: Amazon doesn't list it anymore. I'd love to get a '65 but now probably isn't the time to buy one.

Another update: Amazon is listing it again, but it's not available. Real progress.

Last edited by Parsnips; 10-13-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Parsnips is offline  
post #1912 of 1933 Old 10-14-2017, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Love my uhd60.
4k is great
Even though it needs true 24p input update, it accepts 24p input movies now and looks great to me!!
am2model3 is offline  
post #1913 of 1933 Old 10-15-2017, 08:29 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
UHD60 vs UHD65

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into an entry level 4k projector and was hoping some of the veterans out there could share their knowledge. I'm debating between the UHD60/UHD65/Vivitek 2299.

I noticed that people mention the input lag on the UHD65 is not great (which is why I'm leaning towards UHD60) but are there any other substantial differences between the UHD 60/65 in terms of picture quality or other features that you miss out on with the lower end model?

Also, I've seen some mentions of the Vivitek is there any advantages of going with that one over the Optoma line?

Thanks in advance!!
moocow23 is offline  
post #1914 of 1933 Old 10-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Johan81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow23 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into an entry level 4k projector and was hoping some of the veterans out there could share their knowledge. I'm debating between the UHD60/UHD65/Vivitek 2299.

I noticed that people mention the input lag on the UHD65 is not great (which is why I'm leaning towards UHD60) but are there any other substantial differences between the UHD 60/65 in terms of picture quality or other features that you miss out on with the lower end model?

Also, I've seen some mentions of the Vivitek is there any advantages of going with that one over the Optoma line?

Thanks in advance!!
I have had the UHD60 before I bought the UHD65 and was not at all happy with the black levels. The UHD65 is way better in that department (still not perfect, but good enough, especially in light of the rest of the VERY nice perks of this PJ), so I am glad I returned the UHD60 for that. The FI works pretty well as well, but that is something people really have different opinions on. If you are going to use it for gaming only, FI is a no-go anyways.
moocow23 likes this.

Denon AVR-X3300W Receiver used as 5.1.2, Samsung UBD-K8500, Chario Hiper 2000T fronts, Chario Hiper Dialogue Center, Monitor Audio RXFX Side Surrounds, Dual Rel Quake 200E Subwoofers, JBL Control One Middle Top Atmos Ceiling Speakers, Optoma UHD65 4K Projector
Johan81 is offline  
post #1915 of 1933 Old 10-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan81 View Post
I have had the UHD60 before I bought the UHD65 and was not at all happy with the black levels. The UHD65 is way better in that department (still not perfect, but good enough, especially in light of the rest of the VERY nice perks of this PJ), so I am glad I returned the UHD60 for that. The FI works pretty well as well, but that is something people really have different opinions on. If you are going to use it for gaming only, FI is a no-go anyways.
Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by FI? I currently have a BenQ W1080ST and would be using the new projector in a basement with controlled lighting. Would I notice much of a difference in the black levels between the UHD60/65 and do you think it would be any worse than what I am used to now?

Thanks!!
moocow23 is offline  
post #1916 of 1933 Old 10-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Johan81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow23 View Post
Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by FI? I currently have a BenQ W1080ST and would be using the new projector in a basement with controlled lighting. Would I notice much of a difference in the black levels between the UHD60/65 and do you think it would be any worse than what I am used to now?

Thanks!!
FI is Frame Interpolation, you can either use or not use it
I have a light controlled room as well, the difference is pretty big. I just couldn't be happy with the UHD60's blacks (tested it extensively as the UHD65 costed me a €1300 extra...), the UHD65 just had a pretty good edge in that department.
moocow23 likes this.

Denon AVR-X3300W Receiver used as 5.1.2, Samsung UBD-K8500, Chario Hiper 2000T fronts, Chario Hiper Dialogue Center, Monitor Audio RXFX Side Surrounds, Dual Rel Quake 200E Subwoofers, JBL Control One Middle Top Atmos Ceiling Speakers, Optoma UHD65 4K Projector
Johan81 is offline  
post #1917 of 1933 Old 10-15-2017, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,209
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Projector Central comparing a UHD65 directly against an Epson 5040UB.
The Optoma has better HDR, but looks like everything else is on the Epson's side.
I wonder if Epson is working on a software upgrade to deal with their lackluster HDR performance.
Then it would be a grandslam.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...D65-review.htm
DavidK442 is online now  
post #1918 of 1933 Old 10-15-2017, 06:18 PM
aka: HarperVision
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 4,916
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Projector Central comparing a UHD65 directly against an Epson 5040UB.

The Optoma has better HDR, but looks like everything else is on the Epson's side.

I wonder if Epson is working on a software upgrade to deal with their lackluster HDR performance.

Then it would be a grandslam.



http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...D65-review.htm

It's not so lackluster with my HarperVision settings applied on the Epsons. See links below in my signature.
Dave Harper is online now  
post #1919 of 1933 Old 10-15-2017, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,209
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
It's not so lackluster with my HarperVision settings applied on the Epsons. See links below in my signature.
Yes. I have been following that discussion and it seems that you have been able to beat some decent HDR out of the 5040UB.
Too bad Projector Central didn't put some effort into tweaking things themselves.
Maybe Epson should give you a call for their next upgrade.
Dave Harper likes this.
DavidK442 is online now  
post #1920 of 1933 Old 10-15-2017, 06:44 PM
aka: HarperVision
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 4,916
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Optoma UHD60 & UHD65 4K/UHD HDR DLP Projectors Now Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Yes. I have been following that discussion and it seems that you have been able to beat some decent HDR out of the 5040UB.

Too bad Projector Central didn't put some effort into tweaking things themselves.

Maybe Epson should give you a call for their next upgrade.

Personally I would call it "excellent HDR", not just decent. I'm telling you, when setup correctly (which I don't think many were able to do from the sounds of it there, unfortunately) it's quite a site to behold for such little money compared to the big boy's offerings from Sony and JVC.

I actually thought about calling Epson to see if I could bring a tricked out Epson 5040/6040 there to show them what's possible.
Dave Harper is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
dlp , hdr , Optoma , uhd , uhd60

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off