Optoma UHD60 & UHD65 4K/UHD HDR DLP Projectors Now Available - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 794Likes

post #1 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked: 4245
Optoma UHD60 & UHD65 4K/UHD HDR DLP Projectors Now Available

The Optoma UHD60 and UHD65 single-chip DLP projectors offer 4K/UHD resolution and HDR capability for a fraction of what these features have cost up to now.

http://www.avsforum.com/optoma-uhd60...now-available/
shivaji and sage11x like this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Wow, these prices came in below what we were thinking they would in the other thread. I still think this UHD65 faces some tough competition from Epson and Sony but at $2500 this is certainly priced to compete. Consider that most projectors sell comfortably below their MSRP and this might be a popular unit.
JoeBoy73 likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My 5 year old, Panasonic AT7000 needs a new bulb but at $2K MSRP, I might as well buy this 4K DLP instead.
JoeBoy73 likes this.

post #4 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wonder how long it will be before we get decent reviews of this.
post #5 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Exciting Times! Looking forward to a proper review as well!
sage11x likes this.
post #6 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I must admit I am a bit intrigued by this new 4k rgbrgb offering at $2500.

Last edited by LumensLover; 06-05-2017 at 09:48 AM.
post #7 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Wow , I was really thinking these would be at least 3k+ when they came out. Defiantly going to have to see how the reviews are on these. I was looking at picking up a Epson 5040. Can't wait to see how these stack up. Just wish they made one with a motorized lens ..
humbland, sage11x and remenakb like this.
post #8 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Projectorcentral did point out one potential drawback of the UHD65 for gamers: 82ms of input lag. To be fair this was observed on a pre-production model. We'll have to wait until retail units start finding their way into the hands of owners and reviewers to see if this holds.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #9 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iccy View Post
Wonder how long it will be before we get decent reviews of this.
It's just a peak but some good info here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/opto...d65-review.htm

post #10 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post
Wow , I was really thinking these would be at least 3k+ when they came out. Defiantly going to have to see how the reviews are on these. I was looking at picking up a Epson 5040. Can't wait to see how these stack up. Just wish they made one with a motorized lens ..

Projector Central just did a small comparison of the projectors. It seems their conclusion was the Epson 5040 was superior in almost every way with the exception of 4K content where the Optoma was sharper. If 4K resolution is your number 1 priority then the Optoma is the way to go. It held no advantage in resolution with content 1080p or less which is where the contrast/brightness/3D/etc. advantages all went to the Epson. Just depends on what you watch and prioritize.
post #11 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
Projector Central just did a small comparison of the projectors. It seems their conclusion was the Epson 5040 was superior in almost every way with the exception of 4K content where the Optoma was sharper. If 4K resolution is your number 1 priority then the Optoma is the way to go. It held no advantage in resolution with content 1080p or less which is where the contrast/brightness/3D/etc. advantages all went to the Epson. Just depends on what you watch and prioritize.
I just got done reading it. Yea I would rater have the motorized lens with better contrast and brighter image. Have a 2.35:1, 138 inch AT screen to fill up.
post #12 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 194
am i allowed to start screaming incoherently with joy? cuz I wanna...

is this HDR finally going to be XBox compatible?
am2model3 likes this.
post #13 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not sure how you got that 'conclucion' from the article... In fact, you didn't because projectorcentral didn't actually say that.

"After comparing the UHD65's image sharpness to the Sony VW365ES, we then set it up against the Epson Home Cinema 5040UB. The 5040UB uses a similar pixel shift technology to enhance the image resolution of its native 1080p 3LCD chips. Though the 5040UB produces a picture that is much higher in apparent resolution than a standard 1080p projector, the UHD65 clearly exceeds the sharpness and 4K image detail of the 5040UB when they are placed side by side with a 4K source signal. There should be no surprise here since the 4K DLP chip has double the number of mirrors on the device that the 3LCD chips have. Moreover, the pixel shifting on the 3LCD 1080p devices result in partial overlay of one pixel upon another, whereas the shift technology on the DLP chip, though it overlays, is able to define a second discrete pixel.
Now ... TWO important qualifiers. First, the image detail advantage of the UHD65 over the 5040UB exists ONLY with a native 4K UHD source. Once you switch to a standard 1080p input, these two projectors look identical in image sharpness. And this is no surprise. The UHD65 is able to display image detail that exists in a 4K signal that the 5040UB cannot, but it cannot create 4K detail that is not there. So with 1080p signals both projectors are upscaling 1920x1080 information and practically speaking they end up with the same results (detail wise). Second, once again we must qualify the observation--we are comparing image sharpness and detail resolution only, not all components of image quality. And in point of fact, the 5040UB has similar advantages to the VW65ES--it is brighter than the UHD65, it has higher ANSI contrast, better image three-dimensionality and uniformity. So we would not say one is "better" than the other. They each have competitive advantages over the other, and it depends on what is most important to you. If you want incrementally higher contrast, the 5040UB will give you that. If you want maximum image detail from your 4K UltraHD Blu-rays, the Optoma UHD65 is the clear choice."

I'm not disagreeing that the Epson 5040ub may actually turn out to be the better projector for a lot of people. I too have my concerns about contrast of these new units even though projectorcentral's initial look seems promising. Still, the list of things the Epson does that the Optoma doesn't is long: motorized lens, substantial vertical AND horizontal lens shift, more lumens, no chance of RBE (not sure if I'd count 3D in that list considering how much trouble the Epson seems to have with crosstalk)-- for sure the Epson is an amazing value. But I think everyone should at least wait until we get some hands on observations of actual production models before we start making determinations.

Last edited by sage11x; 06-05-2017 at 10:36 AM.
post #14 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I'm not sure how you got that 'conclucion' from the article... In fact, you didn't because projectorcentral didn't actually say that.

"After comparing the UHD65's image sharpness to the Sony VW365ES, we then set it up against the Epson Home Cinema 5040UB. The 5040UB uses a similar pixel shift technology to enhance the image resolution of its native 1080p 3LCD chips. Though the 5040UB produces a picture that is much higher in apparent resolution than a standard 1080p projector, the UHD65 clearly exceeds the sharpness and 4K image detail of the 5040UB when they are placed side by side with a 4K source signal. There should be no surprise here since the 4K DLP chip has double the number of mirrors on the device that the 3LCD chips have. Moreover, the pixel shifting on the 3LCD 1080p devices result in partial overlay of one pixel upon another, whereas the shift technology on the DLP chip, though it overlays, is able to define a second discrete pixel.
Now ... TWO important qualifiers. First, the image detail advantage of the UHD65 over the 5040UB exists ONLY with a native 4K UHD source. Once you switch to a standard 1080p input, these two projectors look identical in image sharpness. And this is no surprise. The UHD65 is able to display image detail that exists in a 4K signal that the 5040UB cannot, but it cannot create 4K detail that is not there. So with 1080p signals both projectors are upscaling 1920x1080 information and practically speaking they end up with the same results (detail wise). Second, once again we must qualify the observation--we are comparing image sharpness and detail resolution only, not all components of image quality. And in point of fact, the 5040UB has similar advantages to the VW65ES--it is brighter than the UHD65, it has higher ANSI contrast, better image three-dimensionality and uniformity. So we would not say one is "better" than the other. They each have competitive advantages over the other, and it depends on what is most important to you. If you want incrementally higher contrast, the 5040UB will give you that. If you want maximum image detail from your 4K UltraHD Blu-rays, the Optoma UHD65 is the clear choice."

I'm not disagreeing that the Epson 5040ub may actually turn out to be the better projector for a lot of people. I too have my concerns about contrast of these new units even though projectorcentral's initial look seems promising. Still, the list of things the Epson does that the Optoma doesn't is long: motorized lens, substantial vertical AND horizontal lens shift, more lumens, no chance of RBE (not sure if I'd count 3D in that list considering how much trouble the Epson seems to have with crosstalk)-- for sure the Epson is an amazing value. But I think everyone should at least wait until we get some hands on observations of actual production models before we start making determinations.

Feel free to correct my statement. That is what the article said. Sharper 4k image goes to Optoma. Brighter picture, better contrast go to the Epson.
post #15 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is this not your quote?

"It seems their conclusion was the Epson 5040 was superior in almost every way..."

First: they made no conclusions. In fact, the entire article can be read as a hedge until they get their hands on an actual production unit and can spend more time than they got with the pre-production model. Second: I'm not sure how you get "superior in almost every way" from this statement:
"it is brighter than the UHD65, it has higher ANSI contrast, better image three-dimensionality and uniformity. So we would not say one is "better" than the other. They each have competitive advantages over the other, and it depends on what is most important to you. If you want incrementally higher contrast, the 5040UB will give you that. If you want maximum image detail from your 4K UltraHD Blu-rays, the Optoma UHD65 is the clear choice."

Right there, in the paragraph, they say that they would not say that one is better than the other! Lol! For sure, that's a hedge. Maybe when the actually review comes out they'll feel more comfortable making such a statement of superiority but they clearly haven't at this point.

post #16 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Interested to see how the industry reacts to this? Will the eShift machines come down in price?

Shouldn't be long until competitors follow suit... Good for the consumer!
Mike Butny and cardoski like this.
post #17 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Projectorcentral did point out one potential drawback of the UHD65 for gamers: 82ms of input lag. To be fair this was observed on a pre-production model. We'll have to wait until retail units start finding their way into the hands of owners and reviewers to see if this holds.
Really hope it's not this high....been dying to get into projector gaming for the past 6 months. Can't believe it came out at this price point. I took the plunge and ordered the UHD65 from projectorpeople.
I'll be using my 30 day return window to see how good/bad input lag is. Right now though...fingers crossed!
post #18 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Is this not your quote?

"It seems their conclusion was the Epson 5040 was superior in almost every way..."

First: they made no conclusions. In fact, the entire article can be read as a hedge until they get their hands on an actual production unit and can spend more time than they got with the pre-production model. Second: I'm not sure how you get "superior in almost every way" from this statement:
"it is brighter than the UHD65, it has higher ANSI contrast, better image three-dimensionality and uniformity. So we would not say one is "better" than the other. They each have competitive advantages over the other, and it depends on what is most important to you. If you want incrementally higher contrast, the 5040UB will give you that. If you want maximum image detail from your 4K UltraHD Blu-rays, the Optoma UHD65 is the clear choice."

Right there, in the paragraph, they say that they would not say that one is better than the other! Lol! For sure, that's a hedge. Maybe when the actually review comes out they'll feel more comfortable making such a statement of superiority but they clearly haven't at this point.

This is heading down the road of absurdity. When they used the phrase "competitive advantages" those are indeed conclusions based upon observations. The hedge was that it was a pre-production unit and that their conclusions may change based upon new data. It said what I said in my first post. If maximum resolution of 4K content (sharpness) is your main priority then Optoma is the way to go.
post #19 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I certainly hope they included a slider for on/off/auto for Pixel Wiggling in the menu.
shivaji likes this.
post #20 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Scroll halfway down this page if you want to see actual close up photos of how poor the Epson 5040UB looks with 4k compared to the XPR DLPs such as the Optoma (same chip as Acer V9800 used in this link):

http://cine4home.de/test-premiere-ac...eback-von-dlp/

No need to obsess over a few sentences from projectorcentral when a quick look at some visuals show how DLP XPR 4K blows Epson eShift out of the water in detail. Its not even remotely close.

Also for XPR doubters, "Based on our first independent look at a native 4K projector against a single chip 4K DLP projector, there is no question that the 4K DLP chip is capable of producing a 4K video image that is the visual equivalent in image detail of a native 4K chipset. Whether it can produce a visually equivalent image with complex stationary 4K graphics is a separate question that we have not had time to look at, and that test would be more stringent."

Last edited by Ruined; 06-05-2017 at 12:01 PM.
post #21 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is heading down the road of absurdity. When they used the phrase "competitive advantages" those are indeed conclusions based upon observations. The hedge was that it was a pre-production unit and that their conclusions may change based upon new data. It said what I said in my first post. If maximum resolution of 4K content (sharpness) is your main priority then Optoma is the way to go.

Hey man: it was your statement.

This is the quote from projectorcentral: "So we would not say one is "better" than the other. They each have competitive advantages over the other, and it depends on what is most important to you..."

This is yours: "it seems their conclusion was the Epson 5040 was superior in almost every way..."

I'm sorry but that is just a gross misreading of the text.

post #22 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 12:11 PM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 638

I'd have to agree with Sage here, sorry.
mobius and sage11x like this.
post #23 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I'd have to agree with Sage here, sorry.

And I'm the one that is concerned about just how competitive these new generation 4k DLP models are going to be! Lol! Forget the 5040ub how is this thing going to stack up against the Sony 45ES!

But let's not count eggs before they're hatched and let's not misconstrue this projectorcentral review for making declarations it clearly isn't.
Dave Harper likes this.

post #24 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 259
The UHD 65 appears to feature frame interpolation for UHD program content - and if that's as good as the PureMotion FI I get for my BDs with the Optoma HD 83 (or 50), I'm now seriously and finally interested in UHD Blu-ray.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #25 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
am i allowed to start screaming incoherently with joy? cuz I wanna...

is this HDR finally going to be XBox compatible?
Yes, it will work with XBOX One S or XBOX Scorpio HDR. The difference being the S you will run 1080p HDR for games and 4K UHD HDR for movies, while the Scorpio will run 4k UHD HDR for both games and movies.
post #26 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Support Blu-Ray 24fps 1080p 3D format?

Derek
post #27 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDR yes but it's not clear about wide color gamut. Or at least how it's implemented.

Taken from https://www.optomausa.com/projectorproduct/uhd65:
Quote:
HDR leverages REC.2020 wide color gamut and DCI-P3 color gamut coverage to deliver luminous levels of white, the deepest black levels, and life-like real world color.
Paul

Last edited by pdube; 06-05-2017 at 01:10 PM.
post #28 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
f its really $1999 Then the TV Buiss can SUCK IT! my next purchace and replace my projector now I can deal with a 4K or Faux K image at 110 in !
post #29 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 01:09 PM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdube View Post
HDR yes but supports only Rec.709.

A little bit of a disappointment but what can we expect at this price?

Paul
@zombie10k has reported that there's some conflicting info stating that it will indeed do DCI-P3 color gamut. It could be marketing or truth. We don't know for sure yet.
post #30 of 1794 Old 06-05-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am trying to understand the lens shift on this... can I shelf mount it at the height of the screen?
JRock3x8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
dlp , hdr , Optoma , uhd , uhd60

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page