Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-07-2003, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Don't know if PLV60 threads ought to go here or in the >$5000 thread (the PLV60 started at over $5000 retail, and was <$5000 street for most of it's shelf life). Anywho...

I have been viewing and enjoying my PLV60 since May 2002, and would buy another in a heartbeat (especially at the new unit street prices it ended up at late 2002/ early 2003 ;) ).

Is there a way to control the fan speed manually? I know the fan speed is thermostatically controlled automatically- i.e. as the projector senses higher temps internally, the fan speed goes up, and as it cools, the fan speed goes down.

I would like to set the fan speed at a moderately high speed permanently. I found one service menu variable/setting that appears to set the fan speed to it's highest setting. However, this fan speed was way too high for a permanent speed setting, and was faster than I'd ever heard the fan in automated speed control operation.

Not wanting to muck up service mode settings, I have not investigated the other service mode variables for finer fan speed control.

Is there a relatively simple hardware switch, potentiometer, dip switch or jumper(s) under the case that would allow overriding the automated fan speed control and set a permanent intermediate speed (higher than the normal low speed during the first minutes of use, but lower than the highest speed of the fan).

Absolute fan noise generally does not bother me (within reasonable limits)- it is variations in fan noise that can be distracting (to me).

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-07-2003, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I recall correctly, the Z1 has some settings in the service menu that pseudo-allow this sort of thing. So I would imagine that they exist on the 60 as well.

I would caution against doing a completely fixed fan speed, as you wouldn't want to chance overheating the PJ by limiting the airflow should it got hot for some reason.

RG
post #3 of 3 Old 08-07-2003, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Guynn

I would caution against doing a completely fixed fan speed, as you wouldn't want to chance overheating the PJ by limiting the airflow should it got hot for some reason.

RG
I thought about this, and I don't believe it would be an issue (at least for the PLV60, don't know about the Z1 or others). The PLV60 has an overtemp shutdown indicator, so I would suppose that if you set the fan speed too low and the internal temp gets too high, the bulb would power off in an overtemp condition, preventing any catastrophic failure.

Then, just tweak the fan speed higher, until you avoid any overtemp condition (in theory).

The reason I believe I could set the PLV60 fan speed to a single intermediate speed safely is that when I used the service menu option to override the automatic variable fan speed control, the fan speed went to a VERY high speed, higher than *any* speed I had ever heard from the PLV60 during extended operation (3-6 hours or more).

During long use, I can hear the fan cycle from what I would call the "default" low speed (the fan speed when the projector has just warmed up after the 30 second countdown through the first few minutes of full brightness use) to some higher than "default" speed that is *much* lower than the full-on speed I heard with the service menu fan speed override.

Hence, it is obvious that (at least in my setup) my PLV60 has a lot of fan speed range between the top automatic fan speed I hear in normal operation and the full speed heard using the speed override in the service menu.

I want to set my fan speed somewhere between the top speed heard during automatic operation and the full override speed.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page