Optoma UHD60/65 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 702Likes

post #31 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 02:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkabir View Post
Unfortunately you will have to move the screen. When ceiling mounted, the center of the lens has to be above or even with the top of the screen the screen. If its one or two inches or so you can probably tilt the projector upwards slightly and it should't look too bad.
Thank you, now we have confirmation. To be able to bring down the lens center to the top edge of the image is only a little improvement compared to previous Optomas but should ease ceiling-mounted installations (i.e. just make certain both are the same horizontal level, so it shouldn't matter how close or far away the projector hangs from the projection area).

Can you please give the digital image shift accessible via the menu a try. Can you digitally move the 2.35:1 image segment of a 'Cinemascope' film all the way to the top or bottom edge of the screen (and perhaps beyond for rare films shot in 2.76:1)?
Deucedriver and TheBrandon like this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Unfortunately you will have to move the screen. When ceiling mounted, the center of the lens has to be above or even with the top of the screen the screen. If its one or two inches or so you can probably tilt the projector upwards slightly and it should't look too bad.
I have the same situation and with a very slight tilt over the distance it was fine on my current projector. The manual around page 50 have these offsets.

Home Theater: Optoma UHD65, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, XBox One
post #33 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Question for some oldies but goodies.

For calibration of these units, I have my old Video essentials dvd. I remember in the old three gun days they always told us to calibrate with the source. Would that still be the same with these units or would I want to use the internal patterns?

Home Theater: Optoma UHD65, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, XBox One

post #34 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
I have the same situation and with a very slight tilt over the distance it was fine on my current projector. The manual around page 50 have these offsets.
Is this the offset? Is there any loss in quality? I will have to go ceiling mounted below the beam in the picture but project up a few inches (literally 3). The manual shows max offset between 8.82 and 11.03 inches (120-150 diagonal screen, mine is 135). Is that referring to the max inches you can angle at the screen or rather angle up or down making up the 8.82-11.03? Thanks!!!! Trying to hold on to some hope. The issue I have with moving my screen is 3 inches will partially block my in-wall center channel. As a last resort I was going to simulate that speaker being partially covered and see if there is any impact to the center channel. I have KEF 8 inch speakers with UNIQ drivers so the tweeter is built into the woofer and for center it may not matter but I'd rather pass on and covering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170625_194724.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	2206425  
post #35 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
A Few Configuration Details

Hello all,
I own the UHD65 and thought I'd share some of the issues I've encountered getting my equipment to work in case it helps others. I have a Xbox One S, Ps4 Pro, Shield TV Pro, and cable box connected through a Denon 6300H to my UHD65.

When I run a 50ft HDMI cable running to the PJ, all my sources work, but only in 1080 for everything except the Shield Pro, which runs in 4k30Hz but no HDR.

When I am using a redmere 30ft HDMI cable, I can get the Shield Pro to run in 4k60Hz and 4:2:0, but none of the other sources will come through at all. (It just shows the Input as "Searching")

I have some 25ft cables on the way (one active, one passive) that I am going to test, but may end up going the fiber HDMI route if they don't work. I hope this helps someone.
CoreyHawke and davedude like this.
post #36 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post
Is that referring to the max inches you can angle at the screen or rather angle up or down making up the 8.82-11.03?
Those numbers represent the total vertical shift of the picture at the screen. Taking the average of the 120" and 150" maximums, you get 9.925" of vertical shift from the center of the lens. That means you can move the screen a maximum of about 10" downward from where the center of the lens is (presuming an upside-down, e.g., ceiling, mount).
TheBrandon likes this.
post #37 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Does anyone have a Windows 10 PC? If you switch to 1080p (or maybe 720p) on this projector and enable 3D (120hz mode), does it show something? If it doesn't you might have to reboot your PC, but it won't damage it. (or shouldn't).

Also, if anyone can try 72hz custom refresh at 1080p that would be terrific too. That might work. 72hz is a great refresh rate to have if you can muster it, it's 20% smoother with less RBE too.
post #38 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmtheWAF View Post
Those numbers represent the total vertical shift of the picture at the screen. Taking the average of the 120" and 150" maximums, you get 9.925" of vertical shift from the center of the lens. That means you can move the screen a maximum of about 10" downward from where the center of the lens is (presuming an upside-down, e.g., ceiling, mount).
Makes sense, that's 15% as advertised. I think I am SOL without moving the screen. Slight tilt doesn't sound like the solution. Damn.
post #39 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:

I should point out that I took the average because you mentioned you had a 135" screen, which is exactly the average of a 120" and 150". I should also point out that this projector only vertically shifts in one direction. So if it is mounted upside-down, you can shift the picture downward (at the screen) from the center of the lens, but not upward. And vice versa if you have it mounted right side up. This means, as others have stated, you will likely have to move your screen, as there is no way to shift the picture back up those 3" you need to clear.
TheBrandon likes this.
post #40 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Does anyone have a Windows 10 PC? If you switch to 1080p (or maybe 720p) on this projector and enable 3D (120hz mode), does it show something? If it doesn't you might have to reboot your PC, but it won't damage it. (or shouldn't).

Also, if anyone can try 72hz custom refresh at 1080p that would be terrific too. That might work. 72hz is a great refresh rate to have if you can muster it, it's 20% smoother with less RBE too.
Once I get an HDMI cable that is reliably transmitting at all resolutions and HDR formats, I will try to remember to hook up my HTPC and give these a try, though someone may have beaten me too it by then.
post #41 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Received my UHD 65 yesterday and put it in my existing ceiling mount from my PF1500 and used my existing cable. As mentioned above the vertical shift is somewhat limited so right now I have to tilt the unit until I move the mount up later this week. I have about a 1 foot difference between the top of my screen and the mount height so it is fairly substantial tilt. Even so the distortion is not very bad and I would think with just a 3 inch difference it might not even be noticeable.
I also see in the pj menu there is a lens alignment that allows some shifting of the image, though I have not tested to see how far this is and what it does to the picture - but I know it is there and does something.

I currently have a 40' hdmi 1.4 cable and I have a 40' 2.0a cable coming Wednesday with my Sony 4K player. I was surprised that there was not real calibration set-up wizard or even Netflix and Amazon apps included with the pj - it's pretty plain jane altogether. And it is way bigger than my PF1500 - easily 5 or 6 times as large and heavy. The cover for the lens shift and zoom is pretty flimsy plastic and overall the quality if the build just seems so-so. With my old cable and no 4K sources I am pretty much just using broadcast cable and Netflix through my old Samsung player to test. For some reason my Samsung player also doesn't want to play bluray or other dvds now, not sure if that is related to handshaking with the projector or what. It was working fine the day before with the old pj, but its old and could be on the blink anyway. So with only 1080p 30 data I have been fairly happy with the UHD65 already. The image is definitely more defined than with my PF1500, the image is brighter, with better contrast and deeper blacks than my LG PF1500 ever had. The frame interpolation does create a soap opera effect somewhat, but overall seems pretty decent when watching sports and such. I am still tweaking the setting some to see what works best for my viewing space (dedicated media room, 120' grey screen with a 12' throw, about 90% control over ambient light during the day, sitting distance being 12' or under the projector. I don't notice any projector noise until I turn off the TV and go to turn off the projector - seems quieter than my old LG PF1500.

I plan to do more testing later this week when I get my 4K Sony player and a new cable. Right now when low def channels are viewed (kids were flipping through them for some reason) there is a lot of snow across the screen. I think this could be an artifact from it trying and failing to upscale them. I am hoping that I don't need an optical HDMI cable, but will wait and see if there is any difference from the new one I have coming.

Anyway so given the limited content I have to view now I am not blown away, but my wife was surprised at how much better things looked. Once I can see some 4k Netflix and Amazon content, along with 4K blurays I think I will notice more of a difference.

Sorry for not being more scientific about this, but for me its all about how things I normally watch look.
post #42 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Hello all,
I own the UHD65 and thought I'd share some of the issues I've encountered getting my equipment to work in case it helps others. I have a Xbox One S, Ps4 Pro, Shield TV Pro, and cable box connected through a Denon 6300H to my UHD65.

When I run a 50ft HDMI cable running to the PJ, all my sources work, but only in 1080 for everything except the Shield Pro, which runs in 4k30Hz but no HDR.

When I am using a redmere 30ft HDMI cable, I can get the Shield Pro to run in 4k60Hz and 4:2:0, but none of the other sources will come through at all. (It just shows the Input as "Searching")

I have some 25ft cables on the way (one active, one passive) that I am going to test, but may end up going the fiber HDMI route if they don't work. I hope this helps someone.
I have a 30 Feet Redmere HDMI cable too. Using my Shield TV I can send a 4K60Hz 10bit 4:2:0 signal but I cant send a 4K60Hz 4:4:4 8bit signal. Using my Samsung 4K Bluray player it sends a 4K24hz singnal and a 4K60hz signal without any issues (not sure what chroma the samsung uses).

My Receiver can upscale all content to 4K but whenever I turn it on the PJ can't process it, it finds the signal displays it for a second with lots of artifacts. I think I might need a better cable to send 4K60Hz singals from my receivers upscaler to the projector.
post #43 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichGoBlue View Post
Received my UHD 65 yesterday and put it in my existing ceiling mount from my PF1500 and used my existing cable. As mentioned above the vertical shift is somewhat limited so right now I have to tilt the unit until I move the mount up later this week. I have about a 1 foot difference between the top of my screen and the mount height so it is fairly substantial tilt. Even so the distortion is not very bad and I would think with just a 3 inch difference it might not even be noticeable.
I also see in the pj menu there is a lens alignment that allows some shifting of the image, though I have not tested to see how far this is and what it does to the picture - but I know it is there and does something.

I currently have a 40' hdmi 1.4 cable and I have a 40' 2.0a cable coming Wednesday with my Sony 4K player. I was surprised that there was not real calibration set-up wizard or even Netflix and Amazon apps included with the pj - it's pretty plain jane altogether. And it is way bigger than my PF1500 - easily 5 or 6 times as large and heavy. The cover for the lens shift and zoom is pretty flimsy plastic and overall the quality if the build just seems so-so. With my old cable and no 4K sources I am pretty much just using broadcast cable and Netflix through my old Samsung player to test. For some reason my Samsung player also doesn't want to play bluray or other dvds now, not sure if that is related to handshaking with the projector or what. It was working fine the day before with the old pj, but its old and could be on the blink anyway. So with only 1080p 30 data I have been fairly happy with the UHD65 already. The image is definitely more defined than with my PF1500, the image is brighter, with better contrast and deeper blacks than my LG PF1500 ever had. The frame interpolation does create a soap opera effect somewhat, but overall seems pretty decent when watching sports and such. I am still tweaking the setting some to see what works best for my viewing space (dedicated media room, 120' grey screen with a 12' throw, about 90% control over ambient light during the day, sitting distance being 12' or under the projector. I don't notice any projector noise until I turn off the TV and go to turn off the projector - seems quieter than my old LG PF1500.

I plan to do more testing later this week when I get my 4K Sony player and a new cable. Right now when low def channels are viewed (kids were flipping through them for some reason) there is a lot of snow across the screen. I think this could be an artifact from it trying and failing to upscale them. I am hoping that I don't need an optical HDMI cable, but will wait and see if there is any difference from the new one I have coming.

Anyway so given the limited content I have to view now I am not blown away, but my wife was surprised at how much better things looked. Once I can see some 4k Netflix and Amazon content, along with 4K blurays I think I will notice more of a difference.

Sorry for not being more scientific about this, but for me its all about how things I normally watch look.

Any chance you could be bothered to take some pics? One with and without tilt so I can see the pixels and the larger screen view? This would help me a TON truly. Originally, my intentions was to cut a hole in the back wall where my projector is mounted now on the shelf and mount the UHD60 (gamer here) in my network closet directly behind it like at the theaters. I definitely don't want to cut holes that won't work or make sense. Thanks!!!

I may mess around with my Sony tonight see what type of hit this is.
post #44 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I have a 30 Feet Redmere HDMI cable too. Using my Shield TV I can send a 4K60Hz 10bit 4:2:0 signal but I cant send a 4K60Hz 4:4:4 8bit signal. Using my Samsung 4K Bluray player it sends a 4K24hz singnal and a 4K60hz signal without any issues (not sure what chroma the samsung uses).

My Receiver can upscale all content to 4K but whenever I turn it on the PJ can't process it, it finds the signal displays it for a second with lots of artifacts. I think I might need a better cable to send 4K60Hz singals from my receivers upscaler to the projector.
These are really good details I forgot to mention. I am using my receiver for upscaling to 4K (for non-4K content) as well, and this is what causes the artifacts or the PJ's inability to detect a signal. When I'm not using receiver upscaling, the picture comes through (though not in 4K). I should also say that the visual artifacts (in my case, rainbow sparkly static) only appear based on what HDMI I am using. Ugh, this is complicated. Here's a breakdown:

HDMI 1 (non-18gbs) using passive 50ft HDMI or 30ft Active redmere HDMI, with scaling enabled on receiver:

Picture Res. Refresh HDR Chroma Symptoms
Xbox One S: Yes 1080 All Supported No N/A N/A
PS4 Pro : Yes 1080 All Supported No N/A N/A
Shield Pro: Yes 4K 29, 30 No N/A N/A
Cable (1080i) Yes 1080 All supported No N/A N/A

HDMI 2 using 30ft ACtive redmere HDMI, with scaling enabled on receiver:

Xbox One S: No N/A N/A N/A N/A HDMI Input says "Searching", but no signal is ever found.
PS4 Pro : No N/A N/A N/A N/A HDMI Input says "Searching", then intermittently displays "No signal Found" or rainbow static artifacts
Shield Pro: Yes 4K 29/30/59/60 (All) Yes 4:2:0 (8-bit), no others
Cable (1080i) No N/A N/A N/A N/A HDMI Input says "Searching", but no signal is ever found.
post #45 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
These are really good details I forgot to mention. I am using my receiver for upscaling to 4K (for non-4K content) as well, and this is what causes the artifacts or the PJ's inability to detect a signal. When I'm not using receiver upscaling, the picture comes through (though not in 4K). I should also say that the visual artifacts (in my case, rainbow sparkly static) only appear based on what HDMI I am using. Ugh, this is complicated. Here's a breakdown:

HDMI 1 (non-18gbs) using passive 50ft HDMI or 30ft Active redmere HDMI, with scaling enabled on receiver:

Xbox One S: No N/A N/A N/A N/A HDMI Input says "Searching", but no signal is ever found.
PS4 Pro : No N/A N/A N/A N/A HDMI Input says "Searching", then intermittently displays "No signal Found" or rainbow static artifacts
Cable (1080i) No N/A N/A N/A N/A HDMI Input says "Searching", but no signal is ever found.
Thanks for the info. Please let me know if you find a cable that supports 4K60Hz 4:4:4. I'll do a more detailed test using my 30 feet redmere cable to test multiple different chromas.

But this is what I have so far:

Shield TV: Yes 4K 24/59/60 (All) Yes 4:2:0 (10-bit) BT2020 Couldnt get RGB or 4:4:4 to work on 8bit or 10bit
Samsung 4K BluRay: Yes 4K 24/60 Yes Not sure didnt check
Receiver Upscaling: No N/A N/A N/A N/A Says "searching" then "signal found" with a screen for 1-2 seconds showing heavy artifacts then searching again

I have a desktop PC with GTX 1070 that I can move to the theater room to test things.
IAmtheWAF likes this.
post #46 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Just ordered from projector people today. Number 13 on list, should get on next batch by mid July. Countdown begins.

Ian B
davedude and am2model3 like this.
post #47 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just called Projector People and even though I ordered last week, they said they put me in the "Mid-July" group. I am not really happy considering some people ordered from them last week and had them shipped to this week. Any other place that anyone can recommend? I am considering cancelling my order with PP and going with someone else in hopes I can get my projector sooner.
post #48 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Well I am feeling pretty ridiculous. The tilt would be less than half an inch at the projector lol. Can't tell at all haha. Going to order.
post #49 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
I just called Projector People and even though I ordered last week, they said they put me in the "Mid-July" group. I am not really happy considering some people ordered from them last week and had them shipped to this week. Any other place that anyone can recommend? I am considering cancelling my order with PP and going with someone else in hopes I can get my projector sooner.
It seems like this projector is in very high demand, both UHD60 and UHD65. Most places sold out until July. Still worth waiting for the right one for your application, though.
davedude likes this.
post #50 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Update: I received both (active and passive) my 25ft HDMI cables. No joy. I was able to get more stability at greater color depths and slightly less intermittent displays from consoles, but nothing completely stable over and above what the 30ft. cable did.
At this point, I'm going to try fiber. I've heard that you can't rely on standard HDMI cables for 4k 4:4:4 runs over 20ft. While I'm not going to keep playing the swapping game to test that theory, because the lowest I can go for my setup is 25ft, at this point I would say the 20ft rule is probably the max run you have a good chance to reliably do at 4k60 and full color space.

Will report back when I get the fiber cable.
post #51 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Any chance you could be bothered to take some pics? One with and without tilt so I can see the pixels and the larger screen view? This would help me a TON truly. Originally, my intentions was to cut a hole in the back wall where my projector is mounted now on the shelf and mount the UHD60 (gamer here) in my network closet directly behind it like at the theaters. I definitely don't want to cut holes that won't work or make sense. Thanks!!!

I may mess around with my Sony tonight see what type of hit this is.
Here are some pics. I really notice it on my guide channel, otherwise I don't really see it. There projector lens is about 10 inches below the height of the top of the viewing surface of the screen, so probably 3 x more tilt than you will have to do.

Anyway plan to move my mount Thursday after I get my new cable and Sony 4K Player.

Also I hooked up my 4k laptop and viewed some 4k trailers via Youtube and was really impressed with the detail. And after doing some close comparison between the UHD65 and my Samsung 8 Series 65" SUHD TV I observed that the UHD65 is as sharp if not sharper when viewing standard 1080P sports and such, which was a big concern for me due to my LG PF1500 not being near as sharp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0738.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	2206985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	2206993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	2207001  

Last edited by MichGoBlue; 06-27-2017 at 05:06 PM.
post #52 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You guys are making my trigger finger twitchy. My space will not be ready til mid July if everything goes as planned. So technically I can still hold out on buying a little longer to see if anything else pops up. Glad you guys aren't putting up a whole lot of photographs. That mightjust push me over the edge. Hell I've already received my 30 ft fiber optic HDMI, Chief RPMAU, 6" pipe and ceiling plate. I might just order my screen next. lol

Denon x4300h ........................................Denon x2400h
Emotiva xpa-3 ........................................Elac Debut F5
Totem Mani-2 front...................................Elac Debut C5
Totem Model 1 sig center..................................Elac Debut A4
Totem Mite surrounds and Atmos................Klipsch r-12swi
SVS PC13 Ultra........................................xxxxx xxxxxxxx
post #53 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here are some pics. I really notice it on my guide channel, otherwise I don't really see it. There projector lens is about 10 inches below the height of the top of the viewing surface of the screen, so probably 3 x more tilt than you will have to do.

Anyway plan to move my mount Thursday after I get my new cable and Sony 4K Player.

Also I hooked up my 4k laptop and viewed some 4k trailers via Youtube and was really impressed with the detail. And after doing some close comparison between the UHD65 and my Samsung 8 Series 65" SUHD TV I observed that the UHD65 is as sharp if not sharper when viewing standard 1080P sports and such, which was a big concern for me due to my LG PF1500 not being near as sharp.

Thanks!! How would you say the colors are compared to your Samsung or the pop?
post #54 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Michgoblue,

Those pics look great and so do the colors. Can't wait for mine to come in. Thx for posting and post more if you can.

Ian B
post #55 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks!! How would you say the colors are compared to your Samsung or the pop?
The Samsung is better calibrated for the lighting conditions and I am still working on the UHD65. That said, I don't see a huge difference between the two. I have the brightness set fairly low on the UHD65 now, so the Samsung KS8000 does seem brighter as it stands.

I watched the Wonder Woman and Justice League 4K trailers and was pleasantly surprised by all the detail even in the darker, grittier scenes they have.
TheBrandon likes this.
post #56 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
The Samsung is better calibrated for the lighting conditions and I am still working on the UHD65. That said, I don't see a huge difference between the two. I have the brightness set fairly low on the UHD65 now, so the Samsung KS8000 does seem brighter as it stands.

I watched the Wonder Woman and Justice League 4K trailers and was pleasantly surprised by all the detail even in the darker, grittier scenes they have.
If you don't mind maybe give us an HDR and WCG description when it's dark outside and turn off some lights?

I'm really interested too to see how it compares to the TV in a first hand account till we get some numbers.
post #57 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Update: I received both (active and passive) my 25ft HDMI cables. No joy. I was able to get more stability at greater color depths and slightly less intermittent displays from consoles, but nothing completely stable over and above what the 30ft. cable did.
At this point, I'm going to try fiber. I've heard that you can't rely on standard HDMI cables for 4k 4:4:4 runs over 20ft. While I'm not going to keep playing the swapping game to test that theory, because the lowest I can go for my setup is 25ft, at this point I would say the 20ft rule is probably the max run you have a good chance to reliably do at 4k60 and full color space.

Will report back when I get the fiber cable.
Be real careful and look at the reviews on the Fiber cables. I noticed one I ordered and sent back did not work as advertised.

post #58 of 1533 Old 06-27-2017, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Can someone speak regarding the built in speaker in the UHD65 just to get a reference in case I dont want to turn on surround sound for late night watching?

Tia,

Ian B
post #59 of 1533 Old 06-28-2017, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Could someone please check / experiment with the "Ultra Detail" settings?

In my ongoing quest for a front projector with optimal sharpness for image resolution, I came across a practical test at the German HiFi Forum by one of its renowned members. Previously I had thought that projection lens quality was the deciding factor, now I learned that another decisive factor is whether the projector's internal processing applies mild digital noise reduction DNR) or not.

I had recently been blown away by the sharpness and image resolution of a JVC and as to the reasons why (next to a great projection lens) one of the reasons was that it doesn't apply digital noise reduction or filters, thus the image clarity was outstanding (but came with a lot of film grain with older BD titles, some people find distracting).

In theory and ideally, "Ultra Detail" should reduce internal DNR and/or filtering, but I'm afraid that's not the case here. Thanx in advance for looking into that (and somebody please report on digital image range shift ).

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 06-28-2017 at 01:04 AM.
post #60 of 1533 Old 06-28-2017, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Any comments on motion resolution? Biggest thing pushing me towards DLP is the loss of resolution and detail when things are moving and losing all the detail with LCOS that is not supposed to be present in DLP as it resolves more lines of resolution. I think the fact you have a beautiful Samsung to compare and you're enjoying your Optoma is really encouraging to everyone. I'll be honest, if folks were posting more pics they'd be blowing up on Likes lol. Would have loved to see the 4k Trailer pics! If mine doesn't come to late I'll be polluting threads with pictures like a fit girl posting selfies to instagram.
davedude and BondDonBond like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page