Epson Home Cinema 4000 4Ke HDR Projector Debuts - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #61 of 217 Old 06-27-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Everything I have read the JVC-RS420 is the cheapest E-sign projector out there now that is good for HDR gaming, but it is also over $3K. It does have a little better blacks then 5050, but not as bright I think. I don't game that much and not in HDR so the Epson HC4000 or the Optoma UHD 60/65 would be fine for me. I just have to convince the boss.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 217 Old 06-27-2017, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Everything I have read the JVC-RS420 is the cheapest E-sign projector out there now that is good for HDR gaming, but it is also over $3K. It does have a little better blacks then 5050, but not as bright I think. I don't game that much and not in HDR so the Epson HC4000 or the Optoma UHD 60/65 would be fine for me. I just have to convince the boss.
And the JVC RS400U (last year's model) is about 2800 here are AVScience... and while it cost more, it has two 18 Gbs input, etc... loaded wit features. I was interested in the 4040 until I saw 10.2 GBs inputs.

-T
post #63 of 217 Old 06-27-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Man so close Epson but the lack of 18GBs inputs is a huge downer.

I also worry that none of these $3K and under projectors have enough lumens to really do HDR right. I was really hoping for a projector by December but might have to sacrifice screen size and get a TV.

post #64 of 217 Old 06-27-2017, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
The RS420 will have significantly better blacks than the 5040.
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
post #65 of 217 Old 06-27-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Epson Home Cinema 4000 4Ke HDR Projector Debuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
Man so close Epson but the lack of 18GBs inputs is a huge downer.

I also worry that none of these $3K and under projectors have enough lumens to really do HDR right. I was really hoping for a projector by December but might have to sacrifice screen size and get a TV.

Lumen output isn't the issue-- dynamic range is. Right now there are plenty of projectors that can get very bright. There are also plenty of projectors that have fantastic blacks. The issue is you're still talking about two different projectors-- there isn't one that can do both, at least, not right now and not the way the best flat panels can do both.

Obviously, there are commercial theaters currently projecting movies in DolbyVision so the technology is there it's just that we haven't seen this come home to consumer projectors yet. (Not cheaply) Buying an HDR10 capable projector or flatscreen really doesn't mean much of anything. Go look through the 5040 owners thread to see how broken HDR is on that projector and you'll begin to see what we're working with.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 06-27-2017 at 07:32 PM.
post #66 of 217 Old 06-27-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Lumen output isn't the issue-- dynamic range is. Right now there are plenty of projectors that can get very bright. There are also plenty of projectors that have fantastic blacks. The issue is you're still talking about two different projectors-- there isn't one that can do both, at least, not right now and not the way the best flat panels can do both.

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat HDR as they haven't even settled on a standard yet. Contrary to popular belief HDR10 is NOT a standard. The only current standard in HDR is Dolbyvision and the only displays currently capable of displaying Dolbyvision are flatpanels from LG OLED, TCL, Vizio, Phillips and, soon, Sony. If you want HDR I'd buy one of those.

Obviously, there are commercial theaters currently projecting movies in DolbyVision so the technology is there it's just that we haven't seen this come home to consumer projectors yet. (Not cheaply) Buying an HDR10 capable projector or flatscreen really doesn't mean much of anything. Go look through the 5040 owners thread to see how broken HDR is on that projector and you'll begin to see what we're working with.
I have been watching HDR video on an Xbox S and an Oppo 203 and Roku Premier + on a Samsung 65" KS9500 since late last year and HDR (for most content) along with WCG is a game changer. It's so good that I cringe buying regular Blu-Rays now when UHD is not available. Increased resolution is a plus but secondary to HDR+WCG. The issue I have seen even on TV's is that many of them can't get bright enough (sustained) for HDR, especially with dark scenes. I bought and returned several TV's due to this before settling on the Samsung (which has its own flaws). But peak brightness is something the TV does quite well with HDR.

I am just concerned that 2000-3000 lumen projectors just won't cut it once you get them calibrated and start dealing with dimming that happens as soon as you start using the bulb. I suspect we need 4000-6000 lumen projectors to really put out the peak brightness that HDR needs.

I will see what happens and gets announced but likely will buy another TV once my media room is finished. Been a projector guy for many years now but just don't feel they are there yet for 4K and HDR in the sub $4K range. I suspect we are a few years away but with OLED TV prices falling it might be a tough sale for me.
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by ack_bk; 06-27-2017 at 07:53 PM.
post #67 of 217 Old 06-28-2017, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
I have been watching HDR video on an Xbox S and an Oppo 203 and Roku Premier + on a Samsung 65" KS9500 since late last year and HDR (for most content) along with WCG is a game changer. It's so good that I cringe buying regular Blu-Rays now when UHD is not available. Increased resolution is a plus but secondary to HDR+WCG. The issue I have seen even on TV's is that many of them can't get bright enough (sustained) for HDR, especially with dark scenes. I bought and returned several TV's due to this before settling on the Samsung (which has its own flaws). But peak brightness is something the TV does quite well with HDR.

I am just concerned that 2000-3000 lumen projectors just won't cut it once you get them calibrated and start dealing with dimming that happens as soon as you start using the bulb. I suspect we need 4000-6000 lumen projectors to really put out the peak brightness that HDR needs.

I will see what happens and gets announced but likely will buy another TV once my media room is finished. Been a projector guy for many years now but just don't feel they are there yet for 4K and HDR in the sub $4K range. I suspect we are a few years away but with OLED TV prices falling it might be a tough sale for me.
I was sorta in the same boat..was waiting for OLED to come down and purchase but since I have installed a 500$ 1080P projector with 120" screen I don't think I want to go back to a 65" screen... you cannot really call it a home Theatre with a screen that small can you? I believe the trade offs are too great to go back to 65"...
sage11x, Frank714 and Aceklub96 like this.
post #68 of 217 Old 06-28-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
You really should look and read the HDMI Q/A section of these forums for specific answers to your HDMI questions. Do not say the words "I have a HDMI 1.3 cable installed" - as it will get the same response I just gave you.
While I appreciate the info, good god man, life is to short to freak out and lawyer the term "hdmi 1.3 cable". This was basically the only way I could date the cable I put in the wall (10+ years old during hdmi 1.3). I wish it were easier and I could say it was a cat5 vs Cat7 cable. I would ask you why you feel you need to attack people who use terms like that when they need to, why do you need to respond like that, who made you the hdmi standards forum police? Why do you assume people just dont know and professor them?
cliffvb likes this.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #69 of 217 Old 06-28-2017, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Yeah but JVC's frame interpolation is broken / unusable. Be honest now, there are tradeoffs, and contrast while it is the most important thing, it's not the only thing that matters to everyone. I do applaud JVC for lowering their input lag, but the 5040 still beats them in that sense (28ms vs ?? can't remember what the 420 has). Also the RS420 doesn't have WCG, at all. That is also a major downer and a very good reason not to buy one if interested in seeing HDR UHD Blurays in their full glory.

For FI, eventually one could indeed do UHD Bluray FI from their PC once those are rippable, and send them over those nice 18 gbps inputs for 4K60 HDR10 (in 422), so the JVC is indeed a better choice in that case.

I'd definitely wait for an affordable WCG model with working CMD before recommending JVC. They're nearly there for gamers, but not quite. Plenty of games have WCG support now.
post #70 of 217 Old 06-28-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Yeah but JVC's frame interpolation is broken / unusable. Be honest now, there are tradeoffs, and contrast while it is the most important thing, it's not the only thing that matters to everyone. I do applaud JVC for lowering their input lag, but the 5040 still beats them in that sense (28ms vs ?? can't remember what the 420 has). Also the RS420 doesn't have WCG, at all. That is also a major downer and a very good reason not to buy one if interested in seeing HDR UHD Blurays in their full glory.

For FI, eventually one could indeed do UHD Bluray FI from their PC once those are rippable, and send them over those nice 18 gbps inputs for 4K60 HDR10 (in 422), so the JVC is indeed a better choice in that case.

I'd definitely wait for an affordable WCG model with working CMD before recommending JVC. They're nearly there for gamers, but not quite. Plenty of games have WCG support now.
Agreed, it really just depends on your priorities. However, I just wanted to point out the blacks on the JVC are a lot better - not a little - than the 5040 if you have a dark room. I've seen the RS400, LS10000 (for that matter), and 5040 in my room before. The RS400 is even slightly better than the LS10000 in this area.

Also, while the RS420 doesn't have a P3 filter, properly calibrated it comes fairly close actually with only slight under-saturations. The delta errors are small.

Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread
Click image for larger version

Name:	420.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	2208041
RLBURNSIDE likes this.

Last edited by DavidHir; 06-28-2017 at 03:11 PM.
post #71 of 217 Old 06-29-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I couldn't tell the day I seen them both in one day at different theaters. I liked the 5040 more because it was brighter and the colors popped more to me then then the 420. I would have to see them side by side in the same room to see the difference. Also the 420 is about $1000 more in price so I am liking the 5040 or this new 4000 that is coming out.

Try to convince my better half that I want to spend over $2000 for a projector is going to be interesting to say the least, but If I get any of the faux 4K's it is going to last me for a long time.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #72 of 217 Old 06-29-2017, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Smile

It is available to order on US site now

https://epson.com/For-Home/Projector...R/p/V11H715120
post #73 of 217 Old 06-29-2017, 05:28 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
It is available to order on US site now

https://epson.com/For-Home/Projector...R/p/V11H715120
At that price, buy a pair and stack 'em for 4400 "Full HDR" lumens
post #74 of 217 Old 06-29-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I couldn't tell the day I seen them both in one day at different theaters. I liked the 5040 more because it was brighter and the colors popped more to me then then the 420. I would have to see them side by side in the same room to see the difference. Also the 420 is about $1000 more in price so I am liking the 5040 or this new 4000 that is coming out.

Try to convince my better half that I want to spend over $2000 for a projector is going to be interesting to say the least, but If I get any of the faux 4K's it is going to last me for a long time.
Properly calibrated, the colors at Rec 709 will be about the same for both (very low dEs - very good overall). P3 calibrated will be close enough. I'm not sure which is brighter after calibration. If you saw the 5040 and RS420 side by side in a properly treated room you would see a huge difference, trust me.

The RS420 also has a better e-shift for UHD BD.

However, I understand the cost/affordability is the bottom line and the Epson offers a lot of bang for buck.

I'm just curious where the black floor is on the 4000 compared to the 5040. The 4040 looked a lot worse from that comparison pic RLBURNSIDE posted. If that is the case with the 4000, the 5040 would definitely be worth the extra amount IMO.
post #75 of 217 Old 06-29-2017, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
I know this is a dumb question, but this can only display HDR in 4k/24? It can't do 1080/HDR at all right?

Really....my interest in upgrading my projector is HDR...4K vs 1080p isn't a huge deal to me...but HDR and WCG is...

For movies this would be just fine...gaming though. Not gonna play games at 24fps to get HDR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #76 of 217 Old 06-30-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
If these 10.2Gbps HDMI pj's do the job for all BD's and UHD BD's released to date except one (Billy Lynn 4K60) (10 bit, DCI-P3, 4:2:0, HDR10, 4K24/4K30- the data as-is from the disc, not up/cross converted by a UHD player to 12bt and/or 422/444), I call it a Win in my book.

At the 5040/4000 price level and the pace of change moving forward in the sub $3K pj market, the pj doesn't have to cover EVERY use case (Youtube, streaming/gaming sources)- yet

Buy it for what it does today, enjoy it for 12-24 months, and when a new model adds the use case(s) not currently addressed (4K60 HDR), sell and move on.
You get a new pj, bulb, features and someone else gets a great pj from you. The $2K-$3K pj space will be red hot with a lot of feature/improvement churn for the foreseeable future.
For consumers that can afford to upgrade every 12 to 24 months, I suppose you're right but, at one time, consumers could buy a great display with great features and get a decade's worth of use out of it. That doesn't fit modern American business model for the electronics manufacturers. Modular input modules would ameliorate this dilemma, but that's something consumers would have to be willing to fight for. As it is, we're now helpless and at their whim. Legislative is the only other manner in which to achieve but, not in our current political climate.
post #77 of 217 Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Art just confirmed that this is a step down from the 5040 in terms of the LCD panels being employed.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/the-...tent-new-lows/

Looks like this is, indeed, a home version of the 4040. I gotta say, if I was shopping in this market I think that spending the $300-500 extra for the 5040 seems like a no-brainer to me. But if you're cross shopping an Optoma UHD60 this will likely be a much better value proposition and it's not like the Optoma is going to have excellent contrast. I know this: I wouldn't jump at that $2200 price. I feel like we'll be seeing a sale/reduction in short order.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #78 of 217 Old 06-30-2017, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
The 5040 has literally double the contrast ratio, losing that for a couple hundred bucks is a very bad move.

The 4040 has about the same contrast as the UHD65, which is 1400:1, but much better input lag. However it has significantly worse sharpness. However it has 3D and full P3. However the 5040 is only a few hundred more than the 5040 and has double the native contrast as the 4040. But they both have 10 gbps inputs. But does that matter on a 1080p e-shift projector? 4K60 444 is for games + windows desktop only, and you don't want 444 for games on any 4K TV or projector, because then you lose HDR and 10-bit and WCG. It's all a big mess. At least the UHD60 can do 4K60 in HDR10 in 420, that's a big step up and sharp enough to be bother to render a game at 4K. However I think if you can get a revised 5040 with 18 gbps inputs and 28ms input lag and WCG and 3D and FI then I'd get that. Or wait. Arrrgh this is all so frustrating.
post #79 of 217 Old 06-30-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I don't understand the "hate" for this faux 4K projector with lens memory. While it is $2200 now, within months it will be discounted to $1800 or less, and ideal for less than perfect rooms and an inexpensive scope setup.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/14 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #80 of 217 Old 06-30-2017, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
I don't understand the "hate" for this faux 4K projector with lens memory. While it is $2200 now, within months it will be discounted to $1800 or less, and ideal for less than perfect rooms and an inexpensive scope setup.

I don't think there's hate.

What folks are saying is that:
A) the 5040 is worth the extra $$$, and
B) it's scope is limited. It's being marketed as 4K and HDR but it's ability to do so is very, very limited. Unless your needs fall in this small window, then it may not be worth you $2200.

I know for me, if this did HDR in 1080p, even at 30fps, I'd give it a go. Only getting HDR when watching 24fps content (i.e., movies) is so limiting...and I know I'd be upgrading in another year or two.

You're right though. Only a matter of time and this will drop below $2k...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #81 of 217 Old 06-30-2017, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Epson Home Cinema 4000 is on sale for $1,999 at Crutchfield. Deal says for today only.
sage11x likes this.
post #82 of 217 Old 07-01-2017, 01:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Epson Home Cinema 4000 is on sale for $1,999 at Crutchfield. Deal says for today only.

Well that was fast.

post #83 of 217 Old 07-01-2017, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Yeah but JVC's frame interpolation is broken / unusable.
Sorry, but that is not correct. As a matter of fact it is the CMD frame interpolation implemented in the latest JVC models, that made me consider to upgrade from my Optoma HD 83(00) - which has one of the best FI there is (PureMotion) - to a JVC. And while I had it, I didn't notice the vertical banding some others observed, i.e. it's apparently subtle and mostly noticable in bright scenes but apparently not a thing you notice immediately to call it "unusable".

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #84 of 217 Old 07-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Linky
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_278HC4..._4000&skipvs=T

Screencap attached for posterity
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epson4k-crutchfield.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	2212681  

Last edited by Rgb; 07-02-2017 at 01:51 PM.
post #85 of 217 Old 07-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

SInce the 4000 is a 4040 in sheep's clothing, guess our 5040UB model# CEDIA update pool is still on!
post #86 of 217 Old 07-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I still think they are cannibalizing parts for a big upgrade soon. True 4K 3LCD and LCoS from Epson? I hope.

Help catch terrorist: BAD
Help catch torrent site owner so you get more iTunes profit: GOOD

Apple
Think Different
post #87 of 217 Old 07-01-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
SInce the 4000 is a 4040 in sheep's clothing, guess our 5040UB model# CEDIA update pool is still on!
Yep, sounded a little too good to be true.
post #88 of 217 Old 07-01-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
I still think they are cannibalizing parts for a big upgrade soon. True 4K 3LCD and LCoS from Epson? I hope.
The Epson LCoQ has been selling poorly at least in the U.S. so I wonder where they ultimately go with it. I see them more focused on the much better selling 3LCD but we'll see as they tend to keep these projectors at a lower cost.
post #89 of 217 Old 07-04-2017, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 62
I resubscribed to this thread... mainly because I am not too happy with what's out there in terms of FauxK.

Art at PR stated the panels were different compared to the 5040UB/6040UB... and while the contrast ratio (CR) of the 4040 is much less than the 5040/6040, I am wondering if that is noticeable in a dark room while watching real content. There must be a point of diminishing returns on CR for the eye to recognize, no? Especially for brief/moving images on the screen. I saw the side by side image posted of the space scene.. something does not seem right with that comparison. My Epson 3010 (circa 2011) has better blacks based on that pic... so that cannot be right.

And the 4040 auto switches when HDR is recognized... I thought the 5040/6040 did not do the auto switch. So there is a convenience factor. And the 4040 is ~$600 bucks less than the 5040 as of today.

- I considered the JVC RS400 on clearance.... but decided against it based on its HDR handling (no auto switch).
- Considered the JVC RS420... nice but too much money right now based on whats hitting the streets... might wait for that to go on clearance (will be awhile)
- the 5040 is nice... I hate the fact (on principal only) it cannot do 4K60 10-bit HDR, although I live in a rural community... 6 MBit DSL is the fastest internet I will ever have... so I will never stream 4K60 HDR content anyway
- UHD65 might be too dim for me... I have a 135" 16 x 9 screen
- Still considering the UHD60... but have serious concerns over CR

So the 4040 offers a lot... so it might be a stop gap untill real 4K arrives for cheap...

-T

Edit.
I stated 4040, but meant 4000

Last edited by T-Bone; 07-04-2017 at 06:30 AM.
post #90 of 217 Old 07-04-2017, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I resubscribed to this thread... mainly because I am not too happy with what's out there in terms of FauxK.

Art at PR stated the panels were different compared to the 5040UB/6040UB... and while the contrast ratio (CR) of the 4040 is much less than the 5040/6040, I am wondering if that is noticeable in a dark room while watching real content. There must be a point of diminishing returns on CR for the eye to recognize, no? Especially for brief/moving images on the screen. I saw the side by side image posted of the space scene.. something does not seem right with that comparison. My Epson 3010 (circa 2011) has better blacks based on that pic... so that cannot be right.

And the 4040 auto switches when HDR is recognized... I thought the 5040/6040 did not do the auto switch. So there is a convenience factor. And the 4040 is ~$600 bucks less than the 5040 as of today.

- I considered the JVC RS400 on clearance.... but decided against it based on its HDR handling (no auto switch).
- Considered the JVC RS420... nice but too much money right now based on whats hitting the streets... might wait for that to go on clearance (will be awhile)
- the 5040 is nice... I hate the fact (on principal only) it cannot do 4K60 10-bit HDR, although I live in a rural community... 6 MBit DSL is the fastest internet I will ever have... so I will never stream 4K60 HDR content anyway
- UHD65 might be too dim for me... I have a 135" 16 x 9 screen
- Still considering the UHD60... but have serious concerns over CR

So the 4040 offers a lot... so it might be a stop gap untill real 4K arrives for cheap...

-T

Edit.
I stated 4040, but meant 4000
My Theater Room looks similar to your Game Room. I upgraded from a Epson 3010 to a UHD65 and the 65 is brighter then my 6 year old 3010.

Although I have a 120" 16x9 screen. I can upload pics later today if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , hdr , home cinema 4000 , motorized lens , wcg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page