Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
W1070 Replacement lamp

Hello Guys,
Q1. Anyone had a good experience with a replacement lamp for my W1070
Prefer to have it with the housing.

Q2. Is shipping such item abroad risky? (with a service like DHL or Aramex)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-07-2017, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilanio View Post
Hello Guys,
Q1. Anyone had a good experience with a replacement lamp for my W1070
Prefer to have it with the housing.

Thanks
I've been using this one for the last 10 months. 2,000+ hrs so far. Not quite as bright as the original lamps, but a good value for the money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
bilanio likes this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #3 of 17 Old 07-07-2017, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
I've been using this one for the last 10 months. 2,000+ hrs so far. Not quite as bright as the original lamps, but a good value for the money.

I just installed a new lamp I got from here...

http://www.purelandsupply.com/benq-l...jj7l05001.html

it appears to be genuine, and I got it installed without issue. I only have a few hours on the lamp so far, but i'm happy with it.

I have no idea about the riskiness of international shipping though.
bilanio likes this.

post #4 of 17 Old 07-26-2017, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Update on this lamp: It lasted about 2500 hours total, all on SmartECO.

I just put back in a used lamp a fellow AVSer gave me that had 2800 hours on it. It is definitely brighter than my cheap $40 lamp was at 2500 hours.

Still, for $40 it seems like a bargain so I've just ordered another.

Kirk Ellis
post #5 of 17 Old 07-28-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I got this one and it was brighter than the original I took out with 4k smarteco hours on it (can't remember how bright it was when it was brand new!)

https://www.amazon.com/AWO-5J-J7L05-...N9MF1GGP8HX7F9

been a couple months and I'm very pleased.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-28-2017, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilanio View Post
Hello Guys,

Thanks
I have shipped multiple genuine replacement bulbs for both Epson and Benq (I have a W1070) through Aramex over the last ten years. Never had an issue.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-29-2017, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
I'm on my third lamp now (so I bought two replacements off ebay / amazon), haven't had a single issue. They are bright and look exactly the same and last the same as the average original. Some people's original bulbs blow well before their "due date". This is the nature of the beast with lamps, their lifespan is a bell-curve.

If you want your bulb to last a long time use SmartEco. (that's also a performance / contrast enhancing feature). The only time I use "Eco" is when a bulb is new. Don't forget to clean the dust out of the projector fans otherwise the new lamp risks overheating and exploding for that reason alone. Clean that projector!
post #8 of 17 Old 07-29-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Don't forget to clean the dust out of the projector fans otherwise the new lamp risks overheating and exploding for that reason alone. Clean that projector!
Unfortunately, I've never seen a projector that made it easy to clean the fans. At least my JVC only required removing the outer case to clean its single fan. The W1070 would require pulling a lot more than that to clean the lower squirrel cage blower, and that is where the glass shards from an exploded lamp are most likely to be a real problem. Plus, the JVC had a filter while the W1070 does not. How effective is just holding a shop vac against the vents going to be in pulling dust off the W1070's three regular fans ?

Kirk Ellis
post #9 of 17 Old 07-29-2017, 03:36 PM

It's only eight screws to take the top off, then you have easy access to all the fans and you can even remove them and clean them separately.

A shop vac could do an OK job too, but dust gets caked onto those blades pretty good, and without taking the top off I fail to see how most of the dust can get out of there. The only one that's really hard to reach is the blower, that one's underneath all the electronics so you do literally have to take the entire thing apart. I have several screws left over that I don't know where they go! Haha. Lots of stuff and go wrong when you start pulling wires out. And then once it's all back in, it's good to check for the colour wheel sync (using that banding link shared in the w1070 thread). It can get out of sync and then you see posterization. It's a simple matter of going into the service menu to fix that though.

Another "pro tip" aside from cleaning + running on Eco for a little while until the lamp settles in, is turning on high altitude mode. That runs the fans faster and will keep things cooler.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-29-2017, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How big an issue is exploding lamps really? I mean, doesn't the projector notify you several times as it's getting closer to the lamps end of life? Or are there scenarios where the bulb will blow long before the projector notifies you?
post #11 of 17 Old 07-30-2017, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post
How big an issue is exploding lamps really? I mean, doesn't the projector notify you several times as it's getting closer to the lamps end of life? Or are there scenarios where the bulb will blow long before the projector notifies you?
My original lamp exploded at 3900 hrs of all SmartECO use and there were no warnings at all.

Kirk Ellis
post #12 of 17 Old 07-30-2017, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
The only one that's really hard to reach is the blower, that one's underneath all the electronics so you do literally have to take the entire thing apart. I have several screws left over that I don't know where they go! Haha.
I took mine apart tonight trying to figure out what blew on the power supply board. I reassembled it and ALSO ended up with TWO EXTRA SCREWS ! I wonder if they are the same screws you ended up with ?? And that flimsy ribbon connection cable (color wheel?) is a JOKE.

I was quite surprised to find not a spec of dust on any of my fans except the squirrel cage blower.

Anyway, I got no continuity between a couple of the taps on the main high frequency transformer inverter labeled "1J.20286.081 li tai ltsj 1431" and came up blank trying to find just that part except on a Romanian website that won't ship to the US. So I ordered a used entire power supply board from eBay for $30, and hopefully that gets my original W1070 working again. In the meantime I am using one that was given to me by a user who reported intermittent failure behavior like eco-blanking -- although in a week it hasn't failed yet. Best case is I may end up with two working W1070s to try stacking.

I am also wondering if the turns on the transformer that died are for 110V and plugging it into a European travel inverter/transformer at 220V would bypass the bad section. Opinions ?

Kirk Ellis
post #13 of 17 Old 07-30-2017, 02:19 PM

Mine blanks out and re-adjusts once in a while too, could never figure it out, maybe cause the HDMI inputs are flimsy but I also have a G-Sync monitor coming out of the same video card and it would often re-detect G-sync, even when nothing has changed. Right now I'm running my w1070 from my monitor's DVI out (with an HDMI adapter), with my actual HDMI out going to my Rift and my DP out to my G-Sync LCD. DVI out seems to be less annoying than HDMI out vis-a-vis G-sync redetection blackouts. Good luck with your w1070 fixes. I don't know about the transformer hacks, seems like a lot of work. I would check out the service manual there might be a systematic approach to figure out what part of projector needs replacing. I seem to remember a troubleshooting section.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-31-2017, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
My original lamp exploded at 3900 hrs of all SmartECO use and there were no warnings at all.
Hmm, I'm heading towards 4000 hours on mine now. Really rather not have to clean out the projector of shards. Or does the housing contain the shards well enough?
post #15 of 17 Old 07-31-2017, 02:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post
Hmm, I'm heading towards 4000 hours on mine now. Really rather not have to clean out the projector of shards. Or does the housing contain the shards well enough?
The lamp module has a grill that contains larger shards but some as large as grains of sand fit through that grill and can end up in the blower fan. Since the blower is not sucking in air from that direction but blowing it outward, the shards should not be pulled in but some people have had that happen and the blower jams. My original lamp exploded and so did one generic lamp, but I didn't end up with shards in the blower. There were some in the lamp bay when I pulled out the module and I removed those with a wad of tape. My last generic, the one from CTLAMP above died without exploding.

Kirk Ellis
post #16 of 17 Old 08-01-2017, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Update on this lamp: It lasted about 2500 hours total, all on SmartECO.

I just put back in a used lamp a fellow AVSer gave me that had 2800 hours on it. It is definitely brighter than my cheap $40 lamp was at 2500 hours.

Still, for $40 it seems like a bargain so I've just ordered another.
So my new CTLAMP came in and I swapped it for a genuine benq lamp with 3000 hours on it.

I took a light meter reading with my cell phone on the Benq lamp vs. the new CTLAMP unit. The brand new CTLAMP is only 20% brighter than the 3,000hr Benq unit. This was holding my phone's light sensor in front of a white portion of the screen in the center area.

Kirk Ellis
post #17 of 17 Old 08-08-2017, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It occurred to me today that nothing brings home the cost of a new GENUINE lamp like what else the same money can buy.

Today I found my 32" LCD PC monitor crippled, so I went out to buy a replacement. For $249, the same price as a Benq lamp, I bought a Hisense H7 43" 4K TV to use as a monitor. It just seems crazy that these two items could cost the same amount of money.

Kirk Ellis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
projector lamp/housings , w1070

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page