Projector hush box glass from Edmund Optic - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By JonasHansen
  • 1 Post By TheBrandon

post #1 of 9 Old 07-08-2017, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Projector hush box glass from Edmund Optic

I just received the glass for my projector hush box which I bought because several threads mentioned it should be the best.
This is the glass I bought: https://www.edmundoptics.eu/optics/w...ciency-window/

I am surprised about how it looks and wanted to verify that I haven't bought the wrong piece.

See attachment. It's really blue and it seems to blur anything in front of it. If the blue cover is something I should remove from the glass, it's attached really well to the glass, because I cannot seem to remove it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170708_083948899_iOS.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	2224073  

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-08-2017, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Errr you sure it's not a sticker? It's listed as up to 99 percent transmission. It should be clear.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2017, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
I just received the glass for my projector hush box which I bought because several threads mentioned it should be the best.
This is the glass I bought: https://www.edmundoptics.eu/optics/w...ciency-window/

I am surprised about how it looks and wanted to verify that I haven't bought the wrong piece.

See attachment. It's really blue and it seems to blur anything in front of it. If the blue cover is something I should remove from the glass, it's attached really well to the glass, because I cannot seem to remove it
Looks like protective plastic to me. Use a razor blade and try to peel up a corner.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub

post #4 of 9 Old 07-08-2017, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Haha, human error

You guys were right - it is possible to peel it off with a knife. I was just too careful to try that out in the first place. $70 glass and knives if not a combo I liked in the first place!
TheBrandon and Uppsalaing like this.

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-08-2017, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Haha, human error

You guys were right - it is possible to peel it off with a knife. I was just too careful to try that out in the first place. $70 glass and knives if not a combo I liked in the first place!
This is exactly what my morning needed lol. Thanks to this thread, I'm going to research this though as it may help with some mounting rearrangements I'm making. Thanks!
JonasHansen likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-08-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Haha, human error

Fantastic, from the picture it looks like that coating is on there perfectly. I would have been confused as well, you'd think there would be imperfections hinting at it... but i don't see any.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-01-2017, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I'm thinking at using Edmund Optics, so I can use my projector in a protected environment - but outside!

I'd probably cover the optics when not in use (outside) by sliding some panel/enclosure over it, but when my projector is mounted in the protected/heated environment, I'd use edmund optics in front of it, by sliding that panel/enclosure outside.

Do you think this could actually work to keep my projector protected and use it outside in the winter without much degradation to the picture? (I have an outdoor setup, but I didn't build the heated room yet until I figure this out).

Thanks!
post #8 of 9 Old 10-04-2017, 07:10 AM
DTI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post
I'm thinking at using Edmund Optics, so I can use my projector in a protected environment - but outside!

I'd probably cover the optics when not in use (outside) by sliding some panel/enclosure over it, but when my projector is mounted in the protected/heated environment, I'd use edmund optics in front of it, by sliding that panel/enclosure outside.

Do you think this could actually work to keep my projector protected and use it outside in the winter without much degradation to the picture? (I have an outdoor setup, but I didn't build the heated room yet until I figure this out).

Thanks!

Why spend that much on a piece of glass. just buy a tablet gorilla glass like this https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Temper...+gorilla+glass

DIY dust box / hush box / ceiling light... http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...633/7qBblE.jpg
post #9 of 9 Old 10-04-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTI View Post
Why spend that much on a piece of glass. just buy a tablet gorilla glass like this https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Temper...+gorilla+glass
As far as I know, Edmund Optics is pretty dirt cheap, and it's 99.X% non reflective, it's meant for hush box scenarios. Don't know if Gorilla glass is meant to work here, we don't need to be able to touch the lens, I would say that isn't a good route to go, but dunno.

I doubt Edmund Optics has any R-rating worth mentioning, so probably not a good insulator in my scenario, but most of the time the room will be fully closed and heated. Usually something the size of a baseball hole will create a major heating issue in a cold environment though.

Projects:
NOT STARTED - Theater (Sim2 HT380, CIH 13ft wide).
IN PROGRESS (10%) - Home LAN (4 PCs).

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page