Viewsonic PX800HD with a BCP120 Screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marcad80

post #1 of 6 Old 07-26-2017, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Viewsonic PX800HD with a BCP120 Screen

I have investigated this combination for months, and was never able to find anyone that had posted, reviewed, or commented on the combination of these viewsonic products.

So after months of investigating individual reviews on the PX800HD itself, the BCP screen itself and DNP Supernova STW screen that it really is, I finally decided to put the combination together myself.

I have attached a couple of pictures for those who have been waiting for this combination as well. Ref: both pictures were taken in ECO bulb mode and the standard color setting.

This is the 4th projector I've owned, and some quick points of interest about this projector:

Good:

Excellent color depth

Great Contrast

Light level when combined with the BCP (DNP) screen is good to moderate ambient light as long as the content is not to dark (ie, good for TV (sitcom type) shows, not necessarily movies)

Squareness (a UST measure I just made up) is much better than I thought it would be. No keystone like adjustments were necessary.

Brightness uniformity, unnoticeable error.

Bad:

Light Halo effect. There is substantial haloing around the screen. I was able to defeat it by building the entertainment system you see in the picture and using flat black to kill it. If you do not do this in a dark setting you will see a light ring around your screen and up to the ceiling.

Fan does not run a cool down cycle on the bulb when shut off. My first projector (year 2002) did this and I went through bulbs like popcorn....... hope that's not the case hear

All in all (for the price) excellent projector, and an excellent combination with this screen. I think the BCP100 would actually be a perfect match as the 120" screen stretches the lumen output a bit to far for true ambient light viewing. But I'm coming from a 135" screen and was not willing to reduce anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170722_165336262.jpg (959.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170722_164801820.jpg (960.7 KB, 85 views)
kreeturez likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-26-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Cool! Thanks for sharing. I remember reading about this projector on projectorcentral and found it to be an exciting product. What projector did you have before this one?

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-26-2017, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Cool! Thanks for sharing. I remember reading about this projector on projectorcentral and found it to be an exciting product. What projector did you have before this one?
1st Infocus LP340 (SD)
2nd Infocus SP4805 (ED)
3rd Optoma HD80 (HD)
now Viewsonic PX800HD (UST)

This may seem like a museum of projector technology, but I fell in love with the DLP technology when it was first created, and have been building multi purpose theaters (for friends and family) ever since. All of my theaters are multipurpose rooms, that are designed for using the projector as the primary use of TV viewing. With the new UST/Lenticular technology, this is my first attempt at not having a "corner" tv for peak daylight viewing.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-26-2017, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@Marcad80 Very impressive!! Good clean look and really like the custom cutout in the top of the entertainment center to allow UST projector to be lower and allow screen to be placed symmetrically within your setup.

Well done sir.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I really like what you did with the entertainment stand. Glad to see someone else here giving UST's some proper love.

Last edited by MoviePerson; 08-10-2017 at 02:14 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2017, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Made some modifications to the UST projector stand. Looks much better in the room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 13722.jpeg (885.1 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
bcp , bcp120 , px800hd , Viewsonic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page