Low Ceiling - 100" inch Screen - Viewing and Throw Distance Issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By bud16415
  • 1 Post By dreamer

post #1 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Low Ceiling - 100" inch Screen - Viewing and Throw Distance Issue

HT newb here just trying to figure out how to setup a basement.

I've got a 10x28 room with a 6'3" ceiling. I'm leaning towards a 100" screen with a ceiling mounted projector. For that size screen, the viewing distance needs to be at 11'. I want to have at least 2 rows for viewing.

I was really leaning towards the Benq HT2050 but looking at the throw distance - it can be placed between 8' and 10' from lens to screen. The issue is I'm 6'2 and I know for sure I'll bump my head on it if I place the projector in front of my seating. Ideally, I'd like it just above or behind seating to avoid the head bumps and for it to be not too distracting during viewing. I'd like to avoid a table top projector because the layout of the cabling would be an issue. So now I guess I need to look at a longer throw projector but don't know for sure if I should go this route.

Has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this? Low ceiling, 100" screen, projector mounted in front of seating. How has it worked out for you or what else did you do to make it work?

Any recommendations for a longer throw projector with similar specs to the Benq HT2050? Would like to keep cost to $1k or less.

All suggestions welcomed. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by htallday View Post

I've got a 10x28 room with a 6'3" ceiling. I'm leaning towards a 100" screen with a ceiling mounted projector. For that size screen, the viewing distance needs to be at 11'. I want to have at least 2 rows for viewing.

I was really leaning towards the Benq HT2050 but looking at the throw distance - it can be placed between 8' and 10' from lens to screen. The issue is I'm 6'2 and I know for sure I'll bump my head on it if I place the projector in front of my seating. Ideally, I'd like it just above or behind seating to avoid the head bumps and for it to be not too distracting during viewing. I'd like to avoid a table top projector because the layout of the cabling would be an issue. So now I guess I need to look at a longer throw projector but don't know for sure if I should go this route.

Has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this? Low ceiling, 100" screen, projector mounted in front of seating. How has it worked out for you or what else did you do to make it work?

Any recommendations for a longer throw projector with similar specs to the Benq HT2050? Would like to keep cost to $1k or less.

I had a similar situation as you do with my basement theater. I have 6'9" ceilings. My other issue is, I have a support beam that runs the width of the room right directly in the middle. It forced me to mount the projector directly above my first row seating. I had make a shelf for it to mount to directly under the support beam so it does hang low. I have bumped my head on it a few times, just need to be aware that it is there. You get used to it quick.

We had to remove a column and install a 15' steel beam when we built my basement so that is what caused my issue. My room is 21' long and 17' wide. I run a 100" screen with no problems with plans to go to a 120". My lens to screen length is about 10' 6". I use long throw projectors with zero issue. Anything with a good zoom will work well also if you are worried about it not throwing a large enough picture. Use the projector distance calculators to see what you can make work. I have ran the Epson 8700, Epson 5025 and just ordered and Epson 5040. I attached a picture on how I had to mount my projector above my seating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170805_163431 (Medium).jpg (106.0 KB, 53 views)
post #3 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2054 Post(s)
Liked: 1322
That's a ridiculously low ceiling for sure. I don't think you want the projector directly over the seating because someone is sure to hit their head on it when standing up. Ideally it would need to be either well in front of or well behind the seating.

Two rows of seating complicates things. Not sure where you got the idea that viewing distance of a 100" screen "needs to be" at 11'. That's a little further back than average for a 100" screen for a first row and the second row would be about 15' which is really far back for a 100" screen. If the projector is mounted behind the second row to avoid head bumps then you're looking at something like an 18' throw. The only projectors that can throw a 100" image from more than about 15' are more expensive models with 2:1 zoom ratios that are above your $1,000 budget.

One possibility would be BenQ's short throw version of the HT2050, the HT2150ST. It can produce the same quality image as the HT2050 but can fill a 100" screen from a range of 5'-6' lens to screen. Having the projector that far forward would make it unlikely you'd bump your head when standing up as long as you didn't step forward toward the screen.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 08-14-2017 at 04:30 PM.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
That's a ridiculously low ceiling for sure. I don't think you want the projector directly over the seating because someone is sure to hit their head on it when standing up. Ideally it would need to be either well in front of or well behind the seating.

Two rows of seating complicates things. Not sure where you got the idea that viewing distance of a 100" screen "needs to be" at 11'. That's a little further back than average for a 100" screen for a first row and the second row would be about 15' which is really far back for a 100" screen. If the projector is mounted behind the second row to avoid head bumps then you're looking at something like an 18' throw. The only projectors that can throw a 100" image from more than about 15' are more expensive models with 2:1 zoom ratios that are above your $1,000 budget.

One possibility would be BenQ's short throw version of the HT2050, the HT2150ST. It can produce the same quality image as the HT2050 but can fill a 100" screen from a range of 5'-6' lens to screen. Having the projector that far forward would make it unlikely you'd bump your head when standing up as long as you didn't step forward toward the screen.
As long as he does not have any obstacles on the ceiling in the way, why not mount the projector above the first row seating? If he mounts it so the lense is directly above the seats backrest, he will not hit his head. When you get up you are getting up off the front of the chair which would be roughly a foot or so in front of the projector.

The only issue I see with this is the 2nd row and a low ceiling. You will need atleast a 12" riser I would think for your second row so the view is not obstructed from the 1st row. That puts your floor to ceiling height of the 2nd row only at 5'3". Also with the projector hanging down, that may be an obstruction as well.

If it were me and you really had to have that 2nd row of seating. I would get a long throw projector with a 2:1 zoom and mount it behind the 2nd row @ 18-20' lense to screen. You can still throw a 100" image or you can even step up a bit and go to a 120" image. Just keep in mind at that point, the screen will be closer to the floor and you have to make sure your 2nd row will be able to see that far down without the front row obstructing the view.

What I did when I was building my room because I knew my space was tight. I taped out a 100" screen on the wall with painters tape. Figured out my seat dimensions and how high was I was going to sit in the chair (this was before the seats arrived) and moved seats closer or further to make sure everything can fit and everyone can see taking into account the size of the riser for the 2nd row. 6'3" is a challenge for sure especially with wanting a 2nd row.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 106
my ceiling is just under 7' i have an elite spectrum tab @100"

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #6 of 15 Old 08-15-2017, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Juiced46 , that's a really great point about the second row needing to be elevated which makes the 6' 3" ceiling even more of a negative factor. Rather than have such limited headroom where someone in the second row will eventually jump up and put their head through the ceiling maybe it's more realistic just to have the second row seats at ground level but staggered.

You also make a good point about ceiling mounting the projector immediately above the first row seatback as when standing up those in the front row would be in front of it. On the other hand those in the second row would need to be a little careful.

The long throw projector idea is out because there are no long throw projectors in the OP's sub-$1,000 budget. The only projectors in the sub-$1,000 price range are short to medium range models. Actually there's one model that might work and that's the Epson 3100. On sale it's just slightly above the $1,000 mark and it will throw a 100" image from as far away as 15' 9". If the seating was arranged so the projector was immediately over the second row seatbacks that could work.
Juiced46 likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-15-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:

The BENQ HT4050 should meet your 11' throw requirement with its 1.6:1 zoom lens, and BENQ DIRECT has 2 refurbished HT4050 in stock under $1k:
https://www.benqdirect.com/benq-outl...50-refurb.html
post #8 of 15 Old 08-15-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
The BENQ HT4050 should meet your 11' throw requirement with its 1.6:1 zoom lens, and BENQ DIRECT has 2 refurbished HT4050 in stock under $1k:
https://www.benqdirect.com/benq-outl...50-refurb.html
For that matter the HT2050 can throw a 100" image from just 1" less than 11' -- 10' 11" -- lens to screen. So if the seatbacks of the first row are 11' from the screen those in the front row could stand up without hitting their heads as their feet on the floor would be a couple of feet ahead of 11'.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-16-2017, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 409
My first theater was in an old farm house basement that had a ceiling height of 6’2”. I’m 6’ tall so I figured why not. The screen I made was 72” tall, that’s right 1” from the floor and 1” from the ceiling. I had two rows of seating and a riser. The front row (main seating) was a low sofa the lowest most comfortable one I could find and then I added a 5” riser and a row of 7 real vintage theater seats. So 4 in the front 7 in the back for a total of 11 seats. I had a long throw projector that was slammed tight to the ceiling and a divider wall between the rows that gave the back row the feeling of being a balcony. The top of the knee wall had a flat top with cutouts to act as cup holders. And mostly kids sat in the back and me of course. You had to duck down to get in and I had the projector guarded to not be hit but no one ever once had a problem getting in and out of the balcony and once seated it was really very comfortable. With the low front row and the upright back row not set so far back like people do now viewing was not an issue. When I had a full house showing a scope movie I would do a digital shift up and it was perfect.

So it can be done don’t be afraid to think outside the box.
unretarded likes this.

Bud
post #10 of 15 Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the feedback everyone - there are some interesting points here that I'm going to heavily consider.

Another option that came about is using a ultra short throw projector such as the LG PF1000UW or Optoma GT5500+. I know these are much different in specs and price then what has been suggested but it might be worth it if I don't have to deal with the more conventional setup. I'll just have to open up my wallet a little wider if I go this route.

decisions, decisions, decisions, hmmm...
post #11 of 15 Old 08-16-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... Another option that came about is using a ultra short throw projector such as the LG PF1000UW or Optoma GT5500+. ...
UST projectors can be difficult to set up properly to get good focus across the whole image. If you have any waves in your screen UST projectors will exaggerate them because they project at such a steep angle. UST projectors are also notorious for inferior brightness uniformity with the center of the image being much brighter than the edges. Neither of the models you mention will produce as nice an overall image as the BenQ HT2050 or Epson 3100.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-17-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone - there are some interesting points here that I'm going to heavily consider.

Another option that came about is using a ultra short throw projector such as the LG PF1000UW or Optoma GT5500+. I know these are much different in specs and price then what has been suggested but it might be worth it if I don't have to deal with the more conventional setup. I'll just have to open up my wallet a little wider if I go this route.

decisions, decisions, decisions, hmmm...
forgot to mention i have a similar room and have a benq2150st blasting a 100" screen from ~6', if space allows you can go with that projector and a fairly large screen

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #13 of 15 Old 08-17-2017, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 358
My original setup with 7' ceilings was to build a ceiling mounted hush box right behind the second row seating. Due to the location, there was no risk of hitting your head on it.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-17-2017, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 689
I am 9 foot from a 140 inch screen.........works fine.

Also do not get hung on screen size.............It is recommended to shoot on a blank wall to find the right screen size for you. I did that by placing the PJ on end table.........played with distance and zoom and screen size before deciding where to ceiling mount the PJ and what size screen I liked.

Would also allow you to play with the seating too.

You did not mention 16:9 or 2.39 ratio screen ?

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #15 of 15 Old 08-17-2017, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
It is recommended to shoot on a blank wall to find the right screen size for you.
Yes, but sadly, few people are willing to do that for several months. People hear this advice and think that means watching for a few hours or days to decide on a screen size. It took me 6 months to decide that 100" was too small from 10' and bump up to 122".
unretarded likes this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page