Projector too close to ceiling? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bud16415

post #1 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projector too close to ceiling?

Hi,

My new BenQ HT2050 just arrived and I am thrilled. It's my first projector, and I'm a newbie at these.

For various reasons (overhead, hiding cords, etc.) I mounted it right up against the drop ceiling. It almost looks like it is sitting on the ceiling upside down.

Do you think this will be o.k. for venting and heat? Of course, it vents out the sides. But since heat rises, I'm worried that it will have to work harder than if it were hanging down another six inches or so.

Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Assuming you have an air conditioned room, and you keep the filter in the projector clean, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 819
I haven't heard of anybody complaining about their projector failing when mounted tight to the ceiling. You may decide you want to increase airflow slightly around the projector, but it shouldn't matter much. The typical temperature jump from floor to ceiling in a well insulated room is just a couple of degrees, which won't impact the projector's ability to stay cool. I would expect the fans to move enough air to keep it circulating as well.

Of course, the 2050 should be no more than about 4 inches above the top of your screen. So, unless you have particularly low ceiling height (not uncommon), you may have your screen mounted a bit high, and you may want to lower everything to get the screen at a more comfortable viewing height. Up to you on that one though.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 1288
Ceiling flush mounts are common and no issue. Are you familiar with where the HT2050 needs to be mounted in vertical relation to the screen? There's a chart in the user manual that shows the exact distance for each screen size, but in a nutshell the lens needs to be centered on a point a few inches above the top of the screen's image area. If your HT2050 is mounted flush to the ceiling then the screen itself is going to have to be mounted within a few inches of that, so very close to the ceiling. If you were planning to mount your screen lower than that then you would need a drop tube to lower the projector into its proper position relative to the screen.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone.

I tried to mount the projector so that the screen would be at the right height. It does have lens shift, so that gave me a few more inches down. I have a drop ceiling, but it isn't super low.

Right now, the 120" screen is about 9" from the ceiling and 20" up from the floor. I'm also trying to consider my center channel speaker, which is sitting on the floor. But I'd like to get it on a low table below the screen.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by rica5tully View Post
Thanks, everyone.

I tried to mount the projector so that the screen would be at the right height. It does have lens shift, so that gave me a few more inches down. I have a drop ceiling, but it isn't super low.

Right now, the 120" screen is about 9" from the ceiling and 20" up from the floor. I'm also trying to consider my center channel speaker, which is sitting on the floor. But I'd like to get it on a low table below the screen.
Very similar setup. 120" screen, bottom 21.5" from floor. I've got a 12" center channel stand underneath the screen. It has a 15 degree slant to angle the speaker more directly to audience. Take a look at this one on Amazon. My stand is older and by a different manufacturer.

https://www.amazon.com/VTI-RFC-Cente.../dp/B0007P85JG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stand.jpg (79.2 KB, 28 views)

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #7 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Very similar setup. 120" screen, bottom 21.5" from floor. I've got a 12" center channel stand underneath the screen. It has a 15 degree slant to angle the speaker more directly to audience. Take a look at this one on Amazon. My stand is older and by a different manufacturer.

https://www.amazon.com/VTI-RFC-Cente.../dp/B0007P85JG
Looks great! Thanks
post #8 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
That was my go-to center speaker stand for a few years. From Wood Technology. A shame it isn't made anymore. It was a great fit and could be cut down if needed for screens which were a bit lower. I loved that stand.

Now, there is stuff like this, which at least is low, and angled up, at a reasonable price, but you get what you get...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJDDLNP...a-305548008452

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I had a projector slammed to the ceiling like that once and it worked fine as most tell you. It does however have heated air pool around the projector and the intake air becomes hotter than the room air. In my case it was quite a bit hotter. Some projectors have a setting where you can run the fans on high with the lamp on eco. That made a difference but slightly more fan noise. I ended up adding a couple tiny 12v fans run off a little transformer that I attached outside the projector just to move the hot air into the room. It helped a lot with the pooling and I believe it extended my lamp life but I have no proof except my lamps exceeded what most were getting on that projector.

Bud
post #10 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Keep in mind that modern projectors are designed to work properly in the many hundreds of millions of homes worldwide that do not have air conditioning. In fact the HT2050 user manual recommends use in ambient temperatures up to 95° F. So a simple check would be to place a thermometer near the projector while operating on the ceiling and take a quick measurement of the air temperature in that area. In most cases it's unlikely the temperature will be 95° F or above.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I have my 2050 mounted snug up to the ceiling also upside down. 11x11 room and low ceiling height. 92" screen size or so. I crack my window open directly behind and a bit below for some airflow if need be. no issues yet. not a sealed room due to the closet doors with slats on two sides of the room that are the entrances to the spare room.

Pioneer Elite SC-05
JBL Studio speakers
Power Sound Audio V1800, 2 MFW-15's, DIY ported UM18-22, SVS PB10-NSD
Oppo BDP-103
BenQ W7500 & Silverticket 110" matte white 16:9
Benq HT2050 2nd system-pvc foam board screen
post #12 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
... So a simple check would be to place a thermometer near the projector while operating on the ceiling and take a quick measurement of the air temperature in that area. ...
To be clear what you would want to do is hold the thermometer next to the projector's air intake to check the temperature of the air it's drawing in. That's the air that needs to be 95° or lower. Obviously the air coming out of the projector's exhaust will be much warmer.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Here are the readings i got years ago when i checked a 300w DLP projector

All temps are in degrees F

First readings (power off) top 74, bot 74, in 77, ext 75

Second readings (eco mode projector fan low) top 99, bot 99, in 89, ext 155

Third readings (eco mode projector fan low) top 91, bot 96, in 91, ext 156

Forth readings (eco mode projector fan high) top 88, bot 93, in 84, ext 143

Fifth readings (eco mode projector fan high and the addition of the external fan)
Top 79, bot 74, in 73, ext 118
Dave in Green likes this.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page