Blurry Purple Hue in Middle (see picture) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-16-2017, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Blurry Purple Hue in Middle (see picture)

So the other day I received a free, "broken" projector. A BOXLIGHT older X30N type series.

Anyways, the only problem it has is that the center of the screen (it's not even the exact center, it's slightly off to the left) has a purple, blurry hue to it. I can adjust the RED output and that diminishes the effect a bit, but it's still there. When viewing large square black font over it, the letters stretch a little bit with a shadow backwards too. When the screen is a solid BLUE color during startup, the purple hue is not noticeable at all. Only when watching anything with a whiter color will it start to blur out really quickly.

Could it be that someone simply cleaned the front lens with a cleaning product not intended for the projector? I used a microfiber and bottled water cloth on it and it seemed to help a little maybe, or I could be imagining it. Or is this a bulb issue? The bulb itself only has about 450 hours on it, which is pretty short for a 2000 hour bulb? Is there an easy way to remove the front lens cover and see if that makes the problem go away? Or is there a better cleaning product I can try on it? Maybe something more aggressive?

Any help would be appreciated. I couldn't find someone else on the forum who had a similar issue. Other than the center being a blurry purple color, the project works great.

I'm an IT tech admin for a living, so I have no problem with taking the entire thing apart. Just wanted to check and see if it might be something easy first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170816_223609.jpg (909.7 KB, 35 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-16-2017, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Upon watching an episode of Friday Night Lights (which has a darker overall hue for the entire episode) I can also tell there's a bit of a yellow splotch to the right/left of the purple one. On a solid black image, the center is purple, surrounded by a yellow hue. I can't really get a good picture of it with my camera, the best picture I got is the one above. After further research I'm starting to think maybe a dirty polarizer plate? That's the best I can guess. If that's the case, is there an easy way to fix/clean it? From what I've read, a lot of people manage to scratch it in the process of cleaning it.

Also when I use white subtitles, the font has a yellowish-purple "shadow" behind the text in the affected area. Outside of the middleish, everything is sharp and clean.

Basically it's purple in the middle with a yellow hue surrounding the purple.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Polarizer

post #4 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Polarizer
Now is this fixable like maybe a dust spot, or is the projector toast? If it's fixable, should I be able to take it apart and clean it? And if that's the case, any advice on how to clean it without scratching or ruining it?

Thanks!
post #5 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by notaloafer View Post
Now is this fixable like maybe a dust spot, or is the projector toast? If it's fixable, should I be able to take it apart and clean it? And if that's the case, any advice on how to clean it without scratching or ruining it?

Thanks!
No the polarizer is burning up. You would have to replace the panel.. i'm not sure if you can replace the polarizer itself or not. I know some have tried on this forum.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
No the polarizer is burning up. You would have to replace the panel.. i'm not sure if you can replace the polarizer itself or not. I know some have tried on this forum.
So essentially if this is the problem, it's probably not worth fixing?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by notaloafer View Post
So essentially if this is the problem, it's probably not worth fixing?
If it is worthless as-is, then why not open it up and see if the polarizer is separately replaceable ? If so, you might be able to buy another projector on ebay with broken power supply and pull its polarizers. Sometimes dead LCD projectors go for $10.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #8 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
If it is worthless as-is, then why not open it up and see if the polarizer is separately replaceable ? If so, you might be able to buy another projector on ebay with broken power supply and pull its polarizers. Sometimes dead LCD projectors go for $10.
Now that's an idea..! How do I figure out if it is a separate part? I have not taken a projector apart before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page