Epson Home Cinema 2100 and 2150 HD Projectors Announced - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #31 of 208 Old 08-23-2017, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Not taking aim...

It's just that bulb talk is kind of superfluous blather. If you buy a projector, it costs something to use it and bulbs are a consumable. Cheap bulbs are nice. But I'm with you, there is a cost for a better picture, if for no other reason than, "because they can" and "they" are in business to make money, provide jobs, and repeat. And it isn't about what the bulb costs, it's about what it costs to make it and cover the cost of doing business. Another way to look at it is that a $500 bulb in a $10000 projector is 5% of the projectors cost. An $80 bulb in a $600 projector is 13+% of the cost of the projector. Which one is more expensive?

There's a reason better performance/nicer things cost more, always have and I suppose always will.

Sorry, but the automobile analogies drive me crazy; dumbing something down to compare it to a car is where a thread "jumps the shark". And then there is the guy who buys a projector and doesn't use it because he's saving the bulb!

If there is an analogy comparing a car to a projector bulb, it's probably something more like "I bought a car and it ran out of gas. I've got to buy some gas" And then there's "my car uses premium gas" or "I would not buy that car because it uses premium." Or maybe, "I wish my premium car used regular gas!"

There, now I've done it too!
Lmfao. It is funny how so many threads devolve into car analogies here when guys attempt to make a point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 208 Old 08-23-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Can someone explain why they would make the throw ratio shorter than the zoom ratio? I need a projector with at least a 2.0 throw ratio and was hoping the new 1.6 zoom would get me there because my current projector has a 1.5 zoom an a 2.0 throw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #33 of 208 Old 08-23-2017, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Epson Home Cinema 2100 and 2150 HD Projectors Announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
Guys spend whatever you want for lamps. I really don't care. Be happy with only a 1 year warranty. I'm fine with that. Buy whatever brand of projector you want...

but that is not the way I operate. I consider cost of ownership with every purchase I make. Epson is offering a bright 1080p projector with a 2 year warrant along with features not found on other projectors at this price point while only charging $49 for a lamp. Also, I realize that no sub $1K projector is going to be perfect just like my room isn't perfect for projecting, so "I'll take the bright little inexpensive projector with low cost of ownership for under $800, Alex."

Remember this is an Epson thread announcing a new model. Why come here if you prefer another brand or higher end projector? I don't go to all the BenQ threads and mention the lamp exploding issues, or all the Sony threads to mention the dreaded lamp flickering issues.

Bottom line is if you want a inexpensive projector with low cost of ownership, great warranty and that is bright enough for a less than perfect viewing environment, then why not consider an Epson over an LED or DLP with a higher cost of ownership.

Edit: On the native contrast issue, the current model has an auto iris which bumps the measured contrast from 600:1 to 5600:1. While it might bother some and not work for all scenes, it does help. https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...iew-test-bench

Steve you're missing the point. Epson does not sell their products in a vacuum. The units these new models replaced were popular but lagged behind the competition in a few key areas. I am cautiously optimistic that this new unit will be a worthwhile improvement over the old unit but right now we don't have a lot to go on. More zoom and lens shift fixes one of the biggest issues with the 2040/2045, IMO, which was the limited installation flexibility and fixed negative offset. That alone makes it a big step up. The other issue with the 2040/2045 is their lack of contrast. We don't have to make this about LCD / DLP we can just say: "hey, at this price point the Epson 2040 offers pretty middling/poor contrast." I hope the contrast performance of this unit is better than it's predecessor but I'm not holding my breath until I see some reviews. Like you said: in a poor room that might not matter. But it's an important aspect of picture quality and one I found severely lacking on the 2040 so it's a fair speculation point.

Also: you cannot count iris measurements as native contrast. The iris enhances dynamic contrast and dynamic contrast isn't nearly as important as native contrast and ansi contrast. This is why a Sony 45ES can look better than a 5040ub with a lot of content.
b curry likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

post #34 of 208 Old 08-23-2017, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Getting back to our original programming, I think this is a clever move by Epson (and it probably didn't cost them much as they probably just mixed-n-matched some existing or minorly modified parts).

It helps them further slice-n-dice their product offerings and perhaps capture a few more customers or dollars. For example, perhaps someone is satisfied with 2040/2045 but the placement options are no bueno...no lens shift, limited zoom so one can't mount at the back of a larger room. But, perhaps one doesn't want to drop the cash to move from a $550 projector all the way up to 3100/3700 for $1100+. The 2100/2150 is a nice midpoint for those willing to pay more for better placement options but not willing to go all the way to the 3100/3700 (which are both larger and much heavier projectors). Curious to see if the contrast is closer to the 2040 or the 3100, but we won't know till folks get their hands on these.

Anyways, Epson probably noticed a gap in the lineup and is trying to fill it...hopefully good for those interested in getting a 3lcd projector.

steve1106 likes this.
post #35 of 208 Old 08-23-2017, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
We don't have to make this about LCD / DLP we can just say: "hey, at this price point the Epson 2040 offers pretty middling/poor contrast."
But that is only part of the statement and you could add while providing an excellent warranty, an industry leading lamp price, features not found on other models and so on. I don't think the gap is as great as you and others do, so the features, lamp cost and warranty tip me in the other direction.

Now if the DLPs will match the Epson's features, warranty and lamp cost...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/14 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #36 of 208 Old 08-23-2017, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
We don't have to make this about LCD / DLP we can just say: "hey, at this price point the Epson 2040 offers pretty middling/poor contrast."
I agree, with the addendum that you also include "but offers several advantages that others don't" such as the ones already mentioned in this thread. Moreover, your original post stated:

Quote:
The 2040 was a hot seller but woefully outclassed by DLP models in it's price range
without any mention of how you thought it was outclassed (the contrast), you just made a generalized statement which does a disservice to what the 2040 brings to the table.

Though contrast is a key metric and differentiator to some, others might place higher value on things like longer warranty, cheaper bulbs, and zero rainbows; you obviously don't - and that's o.k. - but lets paint a complete picture here for people.
post #37 of 208 Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt001 View Post
Getting back to our original programming, I think this is a clever move by Epson (and it probably didn't cost them much as they probably just mixed-n-matched some existing or minorly modified parts). ...
This is a really good point. It looks to me as if they simply grafted the 3000 series 1.6x lens system onto the 2000 series chassis. Since all R&D was already done on that lens system all they needed to do was spit out more units from the lens system production line. This only added $50 to the msrp of the older 2000 series models that the new ones replace.

As for the 2150's contrast specs I remain skeptical. The new 2100 has exactly the same contrast spec as the 2040/2045 while the 2150 is rated at almost double that. Something's fishy there. That much increase in contrast requires new, improved panels and new, improved panels cost more money. The 2045 costs $50 more than the 2040 and the only addition is wireless. How can the 2150 add both wireless and new, improved panels and still be only $50 more than the 2100? The 2150's contrast spec is actually a little better than the more expensive 3100. It just doesn't make any sense and I think it will prove to be bogus.

As for advantages that 3LCD has over DLP it's also fair to note that 3LCD produces equal white and color lumens in brightest mode which DLP can't match. That's why the most recommended bright room light cannons are 3LCD. But it's silly to waste time debating which is the "best" of two different technologies with different balances of pros and cons that appeal to different people for different reasons. Just weigh the balance of each, pick the one that works best for your preferences and appreciate the fact that the other technology works better for others with different preferences.
sage11x likes this.
post #38 of 208 Old 08-23-2017, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
Can someone explain why they would make the throw ratio shorter than the zoom ratio? I need a projector with at least a 2.0 throw ratio and was hoping the new 1.6 zoom would get me there because my current projector has a 1.5 zoom an a 2.0 throw.

It appears that the Epson site simply copied the specs from the 2040/2045 and didnt adjust for the new 1.6x lens. Assuming this lens is similar to the 3100/3700, they show throw ratio of 1.32 - 2.15.
post #39 of 208 Old 08-24-2017, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboy View Post
It appears that the Epson site simply copied the specs from the 2040/2045 and didnt adjust for the new 1.6x lens. Assuming this lens is similar to the 3100/3700, they show throw ratio of 1.32 - 2.15.

That would make sense. I really want to go with an LED or Laser based projector but I see rainbows with my Qumi projector that was purchased a few years ago. I go through a bulb every 18 months or so, $50 isn't bad at all for a replacement. Beats paying $300 - $400 a pop that's for sure.

post #40 of 208 Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
That would make sense. I really want to go with an LED or Laser based projector but I see rainbows with my Qumi projector that was purchased a few years ago. I go through a bulb every 18 months or so, $50 isn't bad at all for a replacement. Beats paying $300 - $400 a pop that's for sure.

Are you saying that you replace the bulb in a Qumi every 18 months?
sage11x likes this.
post #41 of 208 Old 08-24-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yesterday projectorcentral.com's projector calculator had the old 2040/2045 lens carried over to the 2100/2150. Today it's corrected so, for example, the calculator now shows that the 2100/2150 can throw a 100" image from a range of 9' 9" to 15' 9" -- same as the 3000 series. The 2040/2045 could only throw a 100" image from a range of 8' 10" to 10' 8", so this is a major improvement for those who want a longer throw option for <$1,000.

One oddity I found in the 2100/2150 user manual is that while the two models share almost everything there's a different part number for each model's replacement filter. This is unusual because it costs a company extra money to stock different replacement parts, and I can't think of any reason why they'd need different filters since they are otherwise so similar.

Also, Epson is being extremely secretive about the amount of vertical lens shift on the 2100/2150. The user manual doesn't say a single word about how much vertical lens shift they have. We may have to wait for an independent review to find out, just as we will need an independent review to see if there's any actual contrast difference between the two new models and how they compare in the real world to the models they replace.
post #42 of 208 Old 08-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Manual page 24-25 lens shift offset 15% (-5 to + 10)
sage11x likes this.

Epson TW5350(HC 2045 US), Himedia Q5Pro, FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max
post #43 of 208 Old 08-24-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car67 View Post
Manual page 24-25 lens shift offset 15% (-5 to + 10)
Good catch. I had searched the manual for "shift" and lens shift isn't mentioned on those pages. I should have done a search for "offset." That would be a little over 7" of vertical lens shift on a 100" screen.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 08-24-2017 at 12:36 PM.
post #44 of 208 Old 08-24-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you saying that you replace the bulb in a Qumi every 18 months?

No I have an Epson 3010 that I was using but the LCD panels degraded to the point to where it is now unwatchable at a round 15,000 hours. I also have a Epson Home Cinema 400 that I am currently using in the living room until I get something else. I use the Qumi as a portable projector because it is too dim for for the living room. I find the rainbows slightly annoying as well.

post #45 of 208 Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Good catch. I had searched the manual for "shift" and lens shift isn't mentioned on those pages. I should have done a search for "offset." That would be a little over 7" of vertical lens shift on a 100" screen.

So this means that it probably shouldn't be shelf mounted at the rear of the room then, it will have to be inverted. At least it does give a little flexibility though compared to the models it replaces. Glad to see confirmation that the zoom has been increased.

post #46 of 208 Old 08-25-2017, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
There is no question that this is a significant upgrade on the 2040 by the specifications. The reviews will really tell what is going on, but the 2150 with the added minimal lens shift similar to the BenQ HT2050 with a bit of extra brightness and solid zoom range is just great. The cheap lamps should really silence the LED crowd. I'm not sure I could stomach the quality of a Pico 1080 chip when you can get a LCD projector with a full size 1080 chip set in it and lamps which will basically last forever at almost no cost.

I'm really looking forward to the serious reviews to come in on these models. Even their cheap model is a nice starting point for those who have a low budget. Wish they had made their $350 model a 1280x800 (or 720) instead of 800x600. That would be an entry level price point for HD which would really be a strong recommendation.

Going to be an interesting few years as 4K progresses and 1080 continues to drop in price.
sage11x likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #47 of 208 Old 08-25-2017, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Ho ho! The snark is real. Or to quote Dr. horrible: "Sarcasm: that's original!"

Did the math. If I replace my bulb at 36 months (doubtful as I have yet to take my projector out of eco and I'm at 2 year already) the difference between my bulb and one of these $99 Epson bulbs figures to $.09 / day. Considering I use my projector most days I'll gladly pay the dime to have a better picture.
Reading through these comments and responses I am curious as to why you leave your projector in ECO mode?
post #48 of 208 Old 08-28-2017, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Do we know if the 2150 will have PIP? I may purchase a "football and bball game only" projector but one of the criteria would be an equal split screen PIP. I know the new 1060 should have it but not sure about the 2150.
post #49 of 208 Old 08-28-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
Do we know if the 2150 will have PIP? I may purchase a "football and bball game only" projector but one of the criteria would be an equal split screen PIP. I know the new 1060 should have it but not sure about the 2150.
It doesn't seem like it will based on what I have read on Projector Central. The 3100, 3700 and the 5040 do.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #50 of 208 Old 08-28-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post

It has a 'swap' on the remote but not sure.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #51 of 208 Old 08-28-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP11 View Post
Reading through these comments and responses I am curious as to why you leave your projector in ECO mode?

Cutting lumen output. Nice try though.

post #52 of 208 Old 08-28-2017, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
It doesn't seem like it will based on what I have read on Projector Central. The 3100, 3700 and the 5040 do.

What I don't like about those is that the "other picture" is significantly smaller. I believe on the 1060 you can split the screen evenly so that the "other picture" is the same size and you can have two games going at once. The 1060 is also natively 1920 by 1080 vs. its predecessor which was 1920 by 1200. The nice thing about the 2150 is that it has CFI which is an advantage for watching sports which is what this particular projectors primary purpose would be. I guess we will find out.
sage11x likes this.
post #53 of 208 Old 08-28-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
But that is only part of the statement and you could add while providing an excellent warranty, an industry leading lamp price, features not found on other models and so on. I don't think the gap is as great as you and others do, so the features, lamp cost and warranty tip me in the other direction.

Now if the DLPs will match the Epson's features, warranty and lamp cost...

The only feature I found on the 2040 that I couldn't readily find on any other projector at that price point was the CFI. If you like CFI then there you go. Meanwhile the 2040 lacked lens shift and an isf mode and fell substantially short of the competition in several key picture quality areas, namely: contrast, black level, color saturation, motion resolution, motion handling, sharpness, screen door effect and 3d. So, I guess this is a matter of opinion?

As for warranty and lamp cost: BenQ now sells a unit with a 3 year warranty and $150 replacement lamp. Meanwhile, Vivitek has been offering a 3 year warranty on all their projectors for years.

In either case I hope the 2100 is an improvement.

post #54 of 208 Old 08-28-2017, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
As for warranty and lamp cost: BenQ now sells a unit with a 3 year warranty and $150 replacement lamp.
See Epson had a positive effect on the market. Now if they can match the $49 lamp price...

But in all fairness it is nice having the companies push each other. I can only imagine how crappy it would be if we only had one or two choices at this price point.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/14 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.

Last edited by steve1106; 08-28-2017 at 03:40 PM.
post #55 of 208 Old 08-28-2017, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I thought they only had a small windowed PiP.
post #56 of 208 Old 08-29-2017, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Now in projectorreviews.com first look, they mention a 60% vertical lens shift. Who is correct? Maybe the Epson manual just refers to -5 to +10 in terms of steps in a setting, kind of like contrast -20 to +20 and not in a percentage.

from projectorreviews.com:
"The most notable feature on the Epson Home Cinema 2150 is its generous amount of lens shift (around 60%) – or, that it has lens shift at all. You really don’t see lens shift on projectors priced under $1,000, though it is not unheard of. In those rare cases, such as with some BenQ projectors, there’s about 5% lens shift – this is Epson’s first time putting lens shift into a sub-$1,000 projector. Its 1.6:1 zoom lens and vertical and horizontal keystone correction (+30 degrees) keystone correction give this projector great placement flexibility, in addition to that phenomenal lens shift, which I count as a definite plus."
post #57 of 208 Old 08-29-2017, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@lazyboy , I'm inclined to believe that projectorreviews.com just made a bad assumption that since the 2100/2150 has the same 1.6x zoom as the 3100/3700 that they also have the same 60% vertical lens shift. A close look at the User's Guides for both models very clearly shows this is not true. The 3100/3700 guide shows that the vertical offset range of 25.6" to 66" for a 100" screen is much greater than the -2.4" to +4.7" shown in the 2100/2150 guide. The -2.4" represents -5% and the +4.7" represents +10% of the ~47" vertical height of a 100" screen image area, so the 5 and 10 are definitely percentages and not setting steps.
lazyboy likes this.
post #58 of 208 Old 08-29-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now in projectorreviews.com first look, they mention a 60% vertical lens shift. Who is correct? Maybe the Epson manual just refers to -5 to +10 in terms of steps in a setting, kind of like contrast -20 to +20 and not in a percentage.

from projectorreviews.com:
"The most notable feature on the Epson Home Cinema 2150 is its generous amount of lens shift (around 60%) – or, that it has lens shift at all. You really don’t see lens shift on projectors priced under $1,000, though it is not unheard of. In those rare cases, such as with some BenQ projectors, there’s about 5% lens shift – this is Epson’s first time putting lens shift into a sub-$1,000 projector. Its 1.6:1 zoom lens and vertical and horizontal keystone correction (+30 degrees) keystone correction give this projector great placement flexibility, in addition to that phenomenal lens shift, which I count as a definite plus."
Epson 2100/2150 Manual:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/...nual_10094.pdf

I guess I would go with the manual which seems to be a little cryptic.

If you refer to pages 24-25 of the manual, in the section titled "Projection Distance", it states that using a 16:9 - 100" screen, the offset is –2.4 to 4.7 inches for a total of 7.1 inches. That works out to ~14.5% offset.

On pages 60-61 of the manual, in the section titled "Adjusting the Image Position Using Lens Shift", they show an illustration with an annotation, V x 15%. There is no verbiage explaining the annotation, but one would assume that the V is Vertical Offset and that the range is up to 15%. This would seem to tick & tie with the numbers reported on pages 24-25.
lazyboy and vinyfiny like this.
post #59 of 208 Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
On pages 60-61 of the manual, in the section titled "Adjusting the Image Position Using Lens Shift", they show an illustration with an annotation, V x 15%. There is no verbiage explaining the annotation, but one would assume that the V is Vertical Offset and that the range is up to 15%. This would seem to tick & tie with the numbers reported on pages 24-25.
V is the height of the screen. Page 60-61 shows what 'V' stands for. So, you definitely get 15% of screen height in lens shift (more or less).

Hard to tell from pages 24/25 if that lens shift gives you a bit more flexibility above the lens or below the lens. Since Epson went with negative offset before, you may have more negative offset this go around as well, but at least if your goal is to center the lens on the top edge of the screen, it can be done with about 2" of range either way having no issues.

Reviews and owners I'm sure will clear it all up soon enough.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #60 of 208 Old 08-29-2017, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
V is the height of the screen. Page 60-61 shows what 'V' stands for. So, you definitely get 15% of screen height in lens shift (more or less).
Sorry, I think that's what I said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Hard to tell from pages 24/25 if that lens shift gives you a bit more flexibility above the lens or below the lens. Since Epson went with negative offset before, you may have more negative offset this go around as well, but at least if your goal is to center the lens on the top edge of the screen, it can be done with about 2" of range either way having no issues.

Reviews and owners I'm sure will clear it all up soon enough.
It's not hard to tell at all. The +/- value is from lens center as is stated. It's not unusual to see it stated this way. It's an optimization of the use of the lens center. In other words the 0 position uses the largest and flattest area of the lens producing the least optically distorted image. It has a relatively small diameter prime lens and thus minimal shift; you get what you pay for...

Stating the sum of the +/- value lets them advertise a bigger % offset value. It's only a little bit better than the fixed unit it replaces in that it's adjustable and can be placed outside the screen boundary. However, no doubt, a big help for installation fine tuning. A small improvement but better than a stick in the eye that the fixed offsets can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
3lcd , Epson , home cinema 2100 , home cinema 2150

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page