Recommend a Projection Calculator (Zoom + Lens Shift !!!) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By dupin67
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated
  • 2 Post By dupin67

post #1 of 25 Old 08-24-2017, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Lightbulb JACK LIU Projection Calculator (2017/10/15: Optimized print layout for lens shift)

2017/10/15 update: V1.7 released:
Optimized print layout for lens shift feature: all information is presented within one A4 paper.

================================================== ======================================

JACK LIU Projection Calculator is developped by myself (dupin67).
Since Dec 1, 2016, it has been visited by Chinese users for more than 26000 times.
Now it's available in English!

This calculator provides the unique feature - both Zoom and Lens Shift calculation for home theather projectors in the market.

Calculator uses the data from user manual and official information.
Supports popular brands/models (take BenQ for example):

If the model you are interested is not in the database, or you want to report a bug, please write a post here - I will try best to reply.
Suggestions are appreciated!
I'm not a native speaker so please forgive me if anything not accurate.
You can also contact me by email jack.liu@reviewtranslations.com.

Enjoy this intuitive and powerful JACK LIU Projection Calculator !

Best Regards,
Jack
AV_Integrated likes this.

Last edited by dupin67; 10-14-2017 at 10:00 AM. Reason: version 1.7 released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-24-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 825
That is just brilliant. That is, easily, the most intuitive calculator I have seen to this point. Obviously adding about 500 more projectors would be great, but it's simply astoundingly easy the way it is.

Recommendations:

Add projectors which don't have lens shift, but do have offset. So, the Optoma HD142x for example, which is really popular. Short throw models like the BenQ HT2150ST, etc.

Add a units selection option: mm, inches, feet. I know mm is such a world standard, but in the USA, it means so little to people here. Yes, that's our own dumb fault, but still, if the units could be inches and feet, it would be helpful to people that work with those measurements.

Man - That thing is really cool!
woodhead2 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 25 Old 08-24-2017, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
That is just brilliant. That is, easily, the most intuitive calculator I have seen to this point. Obviously adding about 500 more projectors would be great, but it's simply astoundingly easy the way it is.

Recommendations:

Add projectors which don't have lens shift, but do have offset. So, the Optoma HD142x for example, which is really popular. Short throw models like the BenQ HT2150ST, etc.

Add a units selection option: mm, inches, feet. I know mm is such a world standard, but in the USA, it means so little to people here. Yes, that's our own dumb fault, but still, if the units could be inches and feet, it would be helpful to people that work with those measurements.

Man - That thing is really cool!
Glat to hear your feedback - AV Integrated!

For your recommendations:
1. The calculator does support projectors that have no lens shift (when the lens shift has a "none" mark and the slider won't work). I will add Optoma HD142x and BenQ HT2150ST per your suggestion.
2. Unit selection option: will work on that as first priority.

Thanks a lot!

Jack

post #4 of 25 Old 08-26-2017, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Add a units selection option: mm, inches, feet. ...
JACK LIU Projection Calculator V1.2 has been released with Unit Option. Enjoy!
post #5 of 25 Old 09-01-2017, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Update 2017/9/2:
1. bug fix: lock/unlock picture size, the unit for min/max projection distance does not change.
2. Add Sony 2017 new models: VPL-VW260ES/VPL-VW760ES.
post #6 of 25 Old 09-07-2017, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Update 2017/9/7:
Add Epson 2017 new models: Home Cinema 2100/Home Cinema 2150.
post #7 of 25 Old 09-20-2017, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Update 2017/9/21: V1.3 released:
Added a "Print" button with optimized printable info: pic & key data in one page.
Print out calculation result for the record!

post #8 of 25 Old 09-23-2017, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Update 2017/9/23: V1.4 released:
1) Bug fix for incorrect calculation when zoom slider is not at telephoto end or wide angle end.
2) Switch zoom slider direction (1.0x means wide angle instead of telephoto).
3) Enlarge print button.
4) Minor bug fix.
post #9 of 25 Old 09-23-2017, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for this, I like it better than projector central. Maybe add 2:35 screen size?
post #10 of 25 Old 09-23-2017, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagsgt View Post
Thanks for this, I like it better than projector central. Maybe add 2:35 screen size?
Glad you like it!

I'm thinking about 2.35 too. Should be implemented as next update. Thanks for the feedback!

JACK LIU Projection Calculator - Zoom + Lens Shift at the same time
post #11 of 25 Old 10-01-2017, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagsgt View Post
Update 2017/10/2: V1.5 released :
1) Added aspect ratio option 16:9 and 2.35:1.
2) Bug fix for divide zero issue when base projection offset is 0.
3) Bug fix for incorrect handling of radio boxes being checked multiple times.
4) Adjusted text layout and data pannel margin for better user experience.

Request fulfilled Enjoy!

post #12 of 25 Old 10-03-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Continuing to make requests, because I frankly think this is the best calculator I've seen in a while...

Had a discussion in this thread: Epson 3100 ceiling height

Wanted you to consider adding both lens shift options and perhaps a draggable box for lens shift position like Epson offers. This, I imagine, is a huge pain in the neck, and entirely up to you for consideration. Since you can't achieve both maximum horizontal and vertical shift at the same time, it would provide an excellent addition to a great calculator that includes lens shift.

Keep up the great work!

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #13 of 25 Old 10-03-2017, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Continuing to make requests, because I frankly think this is the best calculator I've seen in a while...

Had a discussion in this thread: Epson 3100 ceiling height

Wanted you to consider adding both lens shift options and perhaps a draggable box for lens shift position like Epson offers. This, I imagine, is a huge pain in the neck, and entirely up to you for consideration. Since you can't achieve both maximum horizontal and vertical shift at the same time, it would provide an excellent addition to a great calculator that includes lens shift.

Keep up the great work!
Thanks for your recommendation!

I've read the discussion.
I will have to think carefully about how to present horizontal lens shift control in an intuitive way.
Because, frankly I don't think Epson's way of showing lens shift is good enough to understand the whole story, even for me.

Thanks again for the feedback - let's work towards a "perfect" calculator (like the sound of it ).

Jack

post #14 of 25 Old 10-04-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jack - I will keep responding to this thread as long as you are an active participant and making it better. I think you have a fantastic product with this calculator, and I will certainly help to promote it. I really hope companies, like Epson, start using it on their websites as it really gives people the information that they need to find out if a projector will work in their space.

post #15 of 25 Old 10-04-2017, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
This is a fantastic projector calc that is much better at determining your mounting options/lens throw options than anything else I've seen. The one recommendation I would make is to calculate expected ft/lamberts of the image and to provide a third "Picture Size" option for "16:9 + Anamorpic lens". I would rename the 2.35:1 option to "Zoom Method 2.35:1). There should be an option in the "16:9 + Anamorpic lens" mode for either horizontal stretch (most common) or vertical compression (better for newer high output projectors) lenses.

You would also need a value for screen gain for input to the ft/lambert equation. I would think that the output ft/lamberts would need to be color coded for those not in the know about what an acceptable range is and a note about leaving headroom for lamp dimming. Most projectors have a high/low lamp mode but I would pick one (high lamp?) and let the user override the lumen output as it varies by calibration, mode, iris setting, and lamp life. That way someone looking at their first projector would have enough info to make a good decision and an expert could finely tune a setup.

The really great thing about your calculator is you see the screen size change based on which option you choose, or you see what your mounting options are to get to a certain screen size. Adding what ft/lamberts you get for a given screen area is the final piece to the puzzle. At that point your calculator would cover 99% of what you need to do to pick a projector.
post #16 of 25 Old 10-05-2017, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindedc View Post
This is a fantastic projector calc that is much better at determining your mounting options/lens throw options than anything else I've seen. The one recommendation I would make is to calculate expected ft/lamberts of the image and to provide a third "Picture Size" option for "16:9 + Anamorpic lens". I would rename the 2.35:1 option to "Zoom Method 2.35:1). There should be an option in the "16:9 + Anamorpic lens" mode for either horizontal stretch (most common) or vertical compression (better for newer high output projectors) lenses.

You would also need a value for screen gain for input to the ft/lambert equation. I would think that the output ft/lamberts would need to be color coded for those not in the know about what an acceptable range is and a note about leaving headroom for lamp dimming. Most projectors have a high/low lamp mode but I would pick one (high lamp?) and let the user override the lumen output as it varies by calibration, mode, iris setting, and lamp life. That way someone looking at their first projector would have enough info to make a good decision and an expert could finely tune a setup.

The really great thing about your calculator is you see the screen size change based on which option you choose, or you see what your mounting options are to get to a certain screen size. Adding what ft/lamberts you get for a given screen area is the final piece to the puzzle. At that point your calculator would cover 99% of what you need to do to pick a projector.
Thanks a lot mindedc for your recommendations!

Already changed "2.35:1" option to "Zoomed 2.35:1".
"anamorphic lens 2.35:1" should be not hard to add in. It's in my enhancement list now.
Are these two names make sense to you?

The ft/lambert calculation is also in the enhancement list, as a big new feature .

post #17 of 25 Old 10-05-2017, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Jack, great work! One thing: I played with it just now and compared it to other calculators and got a bit confused, since the numbers didn't match. Then I realized that while others use a 2.39:1 format for "Scope", your calculator is using 2.35:1 which I'm not sure is a good idea.

Example: if I put in a screen size of exactly 128" in http://www.screen-size.info/ (which does not deal with specific projectors, only screen size calculations), screen width is 299.9 cm and height is 125.5 cm, but if I put 128" in yours, you get a screen width of 299.2 cm but a screen heigth of 127.3 cm.

I know the difference isn't huge but it gave me some headaches ...

Benq W2000 (HT3050) // 130" DIY screen // Pioneer VSX-AX2AV (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250, Mission 737R, Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Samsung BD-J7500 // PS3
post #18 of 25 Old 10-05-2017, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutzon View Post
Jack, great work! One thing: I played with it just now and compared it to other calculators and got a bit confused, since the numbers didn't match. Then I realized that while others use a 2.39:1 format for "Scope", your calculator is using 2.35:1 which I'm not sure is a good idea.

Example: if I put in a screen size of exactly 128" in http://www.screen-size.info/ (which does not deal with specific projectors, only screen size calculations), screen width is 299.9 cm and height is 125.5 cm, but if I put 128" in yours, you get a screen width of 299.2 cm but a screen heigth of 127.3 cm.

I know the difference isn't huge but it gave me some headaches ...
Hi Kutzon,
Thanks for you to use the calc and comment, really appreciate!

In fact I hesitated on this 2.35 or 2.39 or 2.40 thing for quite a while.
We have different formats for cinemascope: 2.39, 2.40, 2.35. What cinemascope screen ratio is reasonable?
I also checked dozens of my BD titles: most cinemascope titles are 2.39/2.40, but there are a few 2.35 existing too.

For 2.39, 2.40, 2.35 formats, I thought that if screen is 2.35 ratio, then 2.39 and 2.40 formats can all fit in - imagine you have a lens memory capable projector, you zoom in to fit 2.39/2.40/2.35 films into the screen, they should have the same width but different height - with 2.35 just edge to edge, 2.39 and 2.40 both have black bars up and down.

On the other hand, if screen is 2.39 radio, then 2.39 format can fit in edge to edge. 2.40 also fine, with black bars up and down. But, 2.35 will have problem - because it is "taller" than 2.40, some upper and lower parts of 2.35 picture will fall out of the 2.40 frame.

To confirm my theory (that we want to fill a 2.35:1 screen) I went to several screen manufactures' website. Unfortunatley I located only 2 of them which published the dimension of their 2.35 screens.
One is Chinese brand called JK screens. The other is America brand Elite Screens. For both the viewing area is calculated as 2.35:1.
e.g. https://elitescreens.com/front/front...t/125#section7

That's why 2.35:1 is used in calculation.

Could you help to measure the actual cinemascope screen ratio, if you have one? Just want to make sure the calc to follow the best practice.

Last edited by dupin67; 10-05-2017 at 08:29 AM.
post #19 of 25 Old 10-07-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupin67 View Post
Thanks a lot mindedc for your recommendations!

Already changed "2.35:1" option to "Zoomed 2.35:1".
"anamorphic lens 2.35:1" should be not hard to add in. It's in my enhancement list now.
Are these two names make sense to you?

The ft/lambert calculation is also in the enhancement list, as a big new feature .
Those names work great.
post #20 of 25 Old 10-08-2017, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

V1.6 released

Quote:

Keep up the great work!
2017/10/9 update: V1.6 released:
Added horizontal lens shift feature.

Request fufilled! Enjoy!

post #21 of 25 Old 10-09-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupin67 View Post
2017/10/9 update: V1.6 released:
Added horizontal lens shift feature.

Request fufilled! Enjoy!
Just noticed that at least for the current JVC projectors the zoom range is 1.0-2.0 in your app whereas the projectors support 1.4-2.8x zoom.
post #22 of 25 Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindedc View Post
Just noticed that at least for the current JVC projectors the zoom range is 1.0-2.0 in your app whereas the projectors support 1.4-2.8x zoom.
Hi mindedc,

The 1.0x ~ 2.0x only means the relative ratio in the calc.
That is, the wide angle end always 1.0x, and the telephoto end is 2.0 times in this case.

So for JVC, 1.4 is 1.0x, 2.8 is 2.0x.

post #23 of 25 Old 10-14-2017, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

2017/10/15 update: V1.7 released:
Optimized print layout for lens shift feature: all information is presented within one A4 paper.

post #24 of 25 Old 10-14-2017, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Brilliant!

This is simply brilliant! Haven't found a calculator that is even close to this. Really looking forward to the addition of anamorphic lens options (which should really be 2.37 - 1.33x16/9). Well done, thank you and keep up the good work!
post #25 of 25 Old 10-15-2017, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoo View Post
This is simply brilliant! Haven't found a calculator that is even close to this. Really looking forward to the addition of anamorphic lens options (which should really be 2.37 - 1.33x16/9). Well done, thank you and keep up the good work!
Thanks seanoo!
I am glad you like it!
Anamorphic lens option is in my enhancement list, and I'm thinking of letting people choose from 2.35/2.37/2.39/2.40 etc., to match their own screen ratio.
seanoo and MaxTemp like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page