Need advice choosing new projector. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-23-2017, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need advice choosing new projector.

Hello all. Been awhile since I've been on the forum and could use some input. I build a home theater a bit over 10 years ago and for projection I purchased a Panasonic PT AX200U. The projector install is 17 feet from the screen in a fairly small room with a 112" diag custom acoustically transparent screen.

Looking for a new projector at home as I had to move this to my sound mixing stage to replace a dead one! Ok so.. I picked up a HT3050 1080p Benq but it won't zoom small enough to fit my screen at 17 feet. Picture quality looked decent but the fan on the thing was a bit loud for my taste so its going back reguarless.

Is there a place I can plug in these specs and find compatible projectors? Looking to spend about $1k on a 1080p or better projector. Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-24-2017, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 255
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm is the calculator most of us use.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 5 Old 09-24-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
17 feet to a 112" diagonal screen means that you need to search using those parameters on Projector Central.

I've conveniently done that for you. I've put in your screen size, and limited things to $500 to $1,500 for price.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...sort=pop&sz=15

14 results which will work. Not a bad mix. Most in that list are at least decent.

If I were in your shoes, and needed that 17' throw, then I would go to the Epson 3100 which offers a great mix of performance to placement flexibility for the money. Yes, the 2150 is cheaper from Epson, but it's likely a long way below it in quality. I would definitely go to at least the 3100.

If this is a long term purchase, and you use the space regularly, then the Sony HW45ES is really what I would get in a decent room, but that's a fair bit more money.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-24-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
... If I were in your shoes, and needed that 17' throw, then I would go to the Epson 3100 which offers a great mix of performance to placement flexibility for the money. Yes, the 2150 is cheaper from Epson, but it's likely a long way below it in quality. I would definitely go to at least the 3100. ...
There's a lot of discussion in the 2100/2150 thread about just how close the 2150 will approach the 3100 in performance. The most optimistic are hoping for near identical image quality while the more realistic believe there will still be a gap between 2000 series and 3000 series performance but perhaps smaller than previously. It's fair to say that a detailed, instrumented 2150 review is one of the most anticipated reviews in the world of <$1,000 projectors.

Having said that we already know that the 3100 is about as close a direct replacement as you can currently get for a Panasonic PT-AX200U for <$2,000. Regardless of how close the 2150 gets to the 3100 in overall image quality the 2150 lacks the extensive horizontal and vertical lens shift that make the PT-AX200U and 3100 so flexible for mounting position.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks guys. Ive been using that cal and that way of searching on Projector central was exactly what I was looking for!

Now before I even read these replies I was thinking the SONY VPL-HW45ES was the projector I should get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page