Epson 3100 for $799. How do I get a Refund? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Peter DS

post #1 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Epson 3100 for $799. How do I get a Refund?

Was looking to replace my Epson 8350 which died recently. Initially wanted to buy an Optoma UHD60, but some concerns held me back. So I saw this offer and thought I'd buy the 3100 and wait until a 'better' (more ideal for me) entry level 4k projector comes along.

Ordered an Epson 3100 refurbished direct from Epson.com on 21st Sept. for $799. Actually it came to $880, because of sales tax. Oh well. Anyway Epson confirmed my order and CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD. I know because I got the sms message from my bank.

I next checked my email quite a few hours later. It was a canned email with the heading "Order Cancelled". In it, they gave several reasons as to why my order was cancelled. No matter, I dont care, I just want my money back and I will just order another projector, this time from Amazon with whom me/ my credit cards have no problems.

Of course I emailed Epson and asked them if they would refund me or what happens now. Note, by now, I have Zero interest in ordering from the Epson website and just want to get my refund and move on, lesson learnt. Got this email response:

"Your e-mail was not accepted because it looks like SPAM. Please submit your question through our support site at www.epson.com/support, or www.epson.ca/support if you're in Canada.

If you are trying to reach Epson from a country other than the U.S. or Canada, please visit the Epson Home Page where you can select your country and submit an e-mail to their support team for assistance.

Thank you  for choosing Epson."

As suggested, I went to the epson site and epson.com/support, hoping there would be another way to contact Epson. There is none, the only email address that you find there is the one I emailed already. There is no Live chat. There is only an 800 support number available during US office hours, which I simply dont want to bother calling (I am NOT in the USA, and do not want to waste my time, and effort, based on past experience in calling this kind of numbers). I JUST WANT MY DAMNED REFUND. Its been nearly 4 days now and the money charged from my card by Epson has NOT been refunded to me. My bank tells me I have to dispute the charge by writing an email to them attaching all the 'Proof'. Sure I will do that, if need be. But surely, Epson could make it just a bit easier for their customers? It is so hard to READ an email from a customer who actually paid for a product?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter DS View Post
Was looking to replace my Epson 8350 which died recently. Initially wanted to buy an Optoma UHD60, but some concerns held me back. So I saw this offer and thought I'd buy the 3100 and wait until a 'better' (more ideal for me) entry level 4k projector comes along.

Ordered an Epson 3100 refurbished direct from Epson.com on 21st Sept. for $799. Actually it came to $880, because of sales tax. Oh well. Anyway Epson confirmed my order and CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD. I know because I got the sms message from my bank.

I next checked my email quite a few hours later. It was a canned email with the heading "Order Cancelled". In it, they gave several reasons as to why my order was cancelled. No matter, I dont care, I just want my money back and I will just order another projector, this time from Amazon with whom me/ my credit cards have no problems.

Of course I emailed Epson and asked them if they would refund me or what happens now. Note, by now, I have Zero interest in ordering from the Epson website and just want to get my refund and move on, lesson learnt. Got this email response:

"Your e-mail was not accepted because it looks like SPAM. Please submit your question through our support site at www.epson.com/support, or www.epson.ca/support if you're in Canada.

If you are trying to reach Epson from a country other than the U.S. or Canada, please visit the Epson Home Page where you can select your country and submit an e-mail to their support team for assistance.

Thank you  for choosing Epson."

As suggested, I went to the epson site and epson.com/support, hoping there would be another way to contact Epson. There is none, the only email address that you find there is the one I emailed already. There is no Live chat. There is only an 800 support number available during US office hours, which I simply dont want to bother calling (I am NOT in the USA, and do not want to waste my time, and effort, based on past experience in calling this kind of numbers). I JUST WANT MY DAMNED REFUND. Its been nearly 4 days now and the money charged from my card by Epson has NOT been refunded to me. My bank tells me I have to dispute the charge by writing an email to them attaching all the 'Proof'. Sure I will do that, if need be. But surely, Epson could make it just a bit easier for their customers? It is so hard to READ an email from a customer who actually paid for a product?
Your order was cancelled because that is a North American model. Call your bank and tell them to about the situation.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I bought my refurbished 3500 from epson about 1.5 years ago and had no problems and they didn't charge tax or shipping and i live in New Jersey.

post #4 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_Monkey View Post
Your order was cancelled because that is a North American model. Call your bank and tell them to about the situation.
Thank you. I am pretty sure that wasnt the reason, but I dont care. (btw, I've been using the North American model 8350 since 2011)

Fact is, I still havent received my money. Nor a response from Epson.

In stark contrast to Epson, this is an email I got from another projector company (I hadn't even inquired or emailed them):

"Greetings from WOWOTO Projector ,
This is Ada from WOWOTO After-Sales Team.
Thanks for your support of WOWOTO-H8 Projector!
Have you received your projector?
Do you have any problems when using?
Can it connect to your devices?
Does everything work well?
If anything we can do for you, please just let us know.
Best regards
Ada
WOWOTO Team"

Sure, this is just a canned email they send to all those who buy one of their projectors. But hey, at least they didnt reject my email as spam, AFTER they charged $880 from the same email.

Epson projectors are good, the Epson store just SUCKS. My experience, as detailed above.

Last edited by Peter DS; 09-25-2017 at 04:45 AM.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Doesn't anyone from Epson read this forum? They must make quite a few sales to the good folks here.
Grunt001 likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Doesn't anyone from Epson read this forum? They must make quite a few sales to the good folks here.
Call your credit card company.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Ordered an Epson 3100 refurbished direct from Epson.com on 21st Sept. for $799. Actually it came to $880, because of sales tax. Oh well. Anyway Epson confirmed my order and CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD. ............
Hi Peter....

Not to panic....my brother had three orders cancelled on refurbs...and his card was tied up with all three. It just takes a few days plus Epson are a Monday to Friday 9-5 operation.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Try to ancient technology, call them and talk to them!

Sales & Product Inquiries
1 (800) GO‑EPSON (1‑800‑463‑7766)
M‑F 6am‑ 8pm PT
S 7am‑ 4pm PT

EMAIL EPSON STORE
Returns & Exchanges
1 (800) 444‑1527
M‑F 6am‑ 8pm PT
S 7am‑ 4pm PT

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #9 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Hi Peter....

Not to panic....my brother had three orders cancelled on refurbs...and his card was tied up with all three. It just takes a few days plus Epson are a Monday to Friday 9-5 operation.
Thank you, I will wait till wednesday.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do not work for Epson but I can vouch for them, as I have bought 3 projectors from them. Had problems with each one, had it replaced next day every time. Of all my electronic equipment warranty issues, Epson has been the easiest company I have dealt with. Has never talked to me like I was an idiot like Pioneer did when I had a problem with my reciever. It all happened in short order, when I called them. Drop the pride, pick up the phone, get your money back.
post #11 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I agree you should just call, even though it's a hassle. Even if you're not in the US, calling a toll free number shouldn't cost anything, right?
post #12 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
@Peter DS , you say that you are not in the USA? I'm surprised Epson even took your order if you entered a shipping address outside the USA. Here's what it says on their website:

Quote:
Terms of Sale and Conditions for Closeout and Refurbished Products: These refurbished Epson products are offered for sale only to end-user customers residing within the continental United States.

Please note that we are not able to ship to P.O. boxes, APO, FPO, or non-USA addresses including Canada and U.S. territories or provinces.
post #13 of 21 Old 09-25-2017, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@Peter DS , you say that you are not in the USA? I'm surprised Epson even took your order if you entered a shipping address outside the USA. Here's what it says on their website:
WHY take MY MONEY then? simply could have said they wont accept my order and I would have moved elsewhere.
post #14 of 21 Old 09-26-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WHY take MY MONEY then? simply could have said they wont accept my order and I would have moved elsewhere.
Agreed. A properly set up website should be programmed to reject an order before the credit card is charged if the shipping address entered is outside the USA in violation of Epson's terms of sale and conditions for refurbished items. Could be due to a miscommunication between Epson and whatever vendor they used to build the website.
post #15 of 21 Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Epson's website is horrible. Spent two hours trying to buy a projector. Almost gave up thinking I couldn't order it because it was out of stock but finally did manage to get the refurbished 3020 for $500. Now, Visual Apex was a nice company and easy to deal with, they let me cancel my order so I could order from Epson when the price dropped.

But I think the 3020 is much better than the 2000 I had before so I'm happy.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-26-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed. A properly set up website should be programmed to reject an order before the credit card is charged .....
Hi Dave

The card is not actually charged but the amount is "reserved", authorized until the item is confirmed shipped....and this is the big problem with Epson's clearance site as that the item will continue to show in stock until the potential buyers credit card amount is "reserved". As there are always multiple potential buyers on popular items it appears that the first credit card and not the order in which it was taken gets the item, also as now indicated a non ship to causes the same problem.
Definitely something that has to be addressed as the funds "reserved"can not be accessed to be used elsewhere until released, which of course is Epson's reason for doing so, as I mentioned earlier my bro had 3 8250s cancelled and all three tied up his card even though they were all with Epson?

Last edited by rob80b; 09-26-2017 at 11:07 AM.
post #17 of 21 Old 09-26-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
... The card is not actually charged but the amount is "reserved", authorized until the item is confirmed shipped....and this is the big problem with Epson's clearance site as that the item will continue to show in stock until the potential buyers credit card amount is "reserved". ...
The issue then is the mechanism for cancelling the reserved amount from the credit card. If the amount can automatically and immediately be reserved against a credit card before the buyer submits the completed form with shipping address then it should be automatically and immediately cancelled if the transaction doesn't go through due to an inappropriate shipping address or similar. It should all be done electronically and not require human intervention, which can result in days of delay.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-26-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The issue then is the mechanism for cancelling the reserved amount from the credit card.
Definitely.....obviously something wrong in this day and age.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-27-2017, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah I've got a 3100 due to arrive tomorrow and my first order got cancelled for no reason and my credit card statement has more entries from Epson than it should even though the actual card balance is correct.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
post #20 of 21 Old 09-28-2017, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

BTW, I still havent got my refund. Feel like I've been pickpocketed...
post #21 of 21 Old 09-28-2017, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
Quote:
BTW, I still havent got my refund. Feel like I've been pickpocketed...
This situation is between you and epson. There is nothing AVS nor it's membership can provide that already hasn't been posted in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page