Need help picking a UST projector - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 09-29-2017, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwa View Post
If I had to pick one of those, I definitely would not pick the LG since it's not very bright (1000 Lumens). I would most likely go with the PX800HD since it has a much better contrast than the Optoma 5500+ (100,000:1 vs 25,000:1) and is twice as bright as the LG (2000 Lumens vs 1000 Lumens). However, the Optoma might be better depending on the screen type and how much light you'll have in the since it's brighter than the other two (3500 Lumens).
The room its dark and for now i will project to the wall(grey). In my country its hard to find fixed screen.

The projector its going to be an future shelf above the Central speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 09-29-2017, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
One thing that makes the LS100 unique is the longevity of the light source, the sheer brightness, and the fact that it's not DLP. The only other company doing this is (that I can tell) is Sony, but that laser UST is over 8 times the price. I have a fixed wall mount screen, and I'm personally willing to give it a shot. I'm not even going to bother with the ALR screen...just going to use my 1.3 carada fixed screen.

Epson has a great reputation of making excellent projectors, and they all seem to fall appropriately in their price category given the quality.

The fact that the LS100 is priced how it is seems like they might actually be on to something with very good performance in the UST world.

I just wish they would 'laser up' a 5040 (why not?).

Once companies start releasing laser projectors and stop worrying about cannibalizing their lamp sales, we'll all be in a better place
Kenwa likes this.
post #33 of 49 Old 09-29-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
... I would most likely go with the PX800HD since it has a much better contrast than the Optoma 5500+ (100,000:1 vs 25,000:1) ...
Manufacturer contrast specifications are not trustworthy and should not be used to pick one projector model over another. Independent testing almost always shows that these numbers are way off. The PX800HD may indeed have better contrast than the 5500+, but the only way to know for sure is to cite independently measured contrast numbers from reliable reviewers with the proper test equipment to measure actual contrast.

post #34 of 49 Old 09-29-2017, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Manufacturer contrast specifications are not trustworthy and should not be used to pick one projector model over another. Independent testing almost always shows that these numbers are way off. The PX800HD may indeed have better contrast than the 5500+, but the only way to know for sure is to cite independently measured contrast numbers from reliable reviewers with the proper test equipment to measure actual contrast.
I know. However, I've had a lot of trouble finding any information on the PX800HD so the manufacturer's specification is all I really have to go on. The one review I found on projectorcentral measured real lumen output, but not contrast from what I can see. Even if the numbers are way off, I'm going to guess the PX800HD is still better than the Optoma contrast-wise. My guess could be totally wrong, but it makes the most sense to me with the information available (almost nothing).

I've barely looked into the Optoma and LG so maybe there are reviews with measured contrast.
post #35 of 49 Old 09-29-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know. However, I've had a lot of trouble finding any information on the PX800HD so the manufacturer's specification is all I really have to go on. ...
That's fine if you want to believe it. But recommending that someone else buy a projector based on manufacturer contrast specifications is not considered to be helpful advice in the AV Science Forum. It's a common error for those who are new to front projection and haven't yet learned that manufacturer contrast specs are not reliable.
post #36 of 49 Old 09-29-2017, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's fine if you want to believe it. But recommending that someone else buy a projector based on manufacturer contrast specifications is not considered to be helpful advice in the AV Science Forum. It's a common error for those who are new to front projection and haven't yet learned that manufacturer contrast specs are not reliable.
Gotcha. I guess I should have prefaced my recommendation by saying that my opinion is mostly based on manufacturer specifications which are known to be inflated.

I'll definitely keep that in mind in the future.
Dave in Green likes this.
post #37 of 49 Old 09-29-2017, 02:55 PM

Thanks, i bought the lg because of the throw factor, life lamp and webos.
post #38 of 49 Old 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post
One thing that makes the LS100 unique is the longevity of the light source, the sheer brightness, and the fact that it's not DLP. The only other company doing this is (that I can tell) is Sony, but that laser UST is over 8 times the price. I have a fixed wall mount screen, and I'm personally willing to give it a shot. I'm not even going to bother with the ALR screen...just going to use my 1.3 carada fixed screen.

Epson has a great reputation of making excellent projectors, and they all seem to fall appropriately in their price category given the quality.

The fact that the LS100 is priced how it is seems like they might actually be on to something with very good performance in the UST world.

I just wish they would 'laser up' a 5040 (why not?).

Once companies start releasing laser projectors and stop worrying about cannibalizing their lamp sales, we'll all be in a better place
If you do end up getting the LS100, I can't wait to hear about your experience with it! Make sure to post LOTS of pics as well!

Even though I've been convinced to re-consider a regular projector, I'm still leaning more towards the LS100 since a lot of posts I've seen suggest that white walls will significantly impact the image quality due to reflected light. Even pictures / videos of the cheaper UST projectors in a bright room look pretty a decent, so it gives me high hopes for the LS100. Also, if I get a regular projector like the 5040, I would most likely need to keep my TV for anytime I do some daytime / light's on gaming or tv watching .
post #39 of 49 Old 09-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you do end up getting the LS100, I can't wait to hear about your experience with it! Make sure to post LOTS of pics as well!

Even though I've been convinced to re-consider a regular projector, I'm still leaning more towards the LS100 since a lot of posts I've seen suggest that white walls will significantly impact the image quality due to reflected light. Even pictures / videos of the cheaper UST projectors in a bright room look pretty a decent, so it gives me high hopes for the LS100. Also, if I get a regular projector like the 5040, I would most likely need to keep my TV for anytime I do some daytime / light's on gaming or tv watching .
My walls are a light tan/neutral color, but I did build a black felt 'canopy' that hangs from the ceiling, just above the screen. I've had that hanging there for a while, and think it helps a little bit overall, even with my current non-UST projector. If ceiling reflection is a problem associated with UST's, I 'might' have that taken care of with the contraption I've built.

If I get a chance to buy one and set it up, I'll most definitely post pics and user experiences!!!!!
post #40 of 49 Old 10-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post
My walls are a light tan/neutral color, but I did build a black felt 'canopy' that hangs from the ceiling, just above the screen. I've had that hanging there for a while, and think it helps a little bit overall, even with my current non-UST projector. If ceiling reflection is a problem associated with UST's, I 'might' have that taken care of with the contraption I've built.

If I get a chance to buy one and set it up, I'll most definitely post pics and user experiences!!!!!
My LS820 with a BCP100" does have a slight halo effect on the ceiling. It hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it. I simple fix would be to add a "lip" or something similar to the top of the screen.
post #41 of 49 Old 10-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePerson View Post
My LS820 with a BCP100" does have a slight halo effect on the ceiling. It hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it. I simple fix would be to add a "lip" or something similar to the top of the screen.
Exactly...that's a good term to describe what I have currently...the lip/canopy is perpendicular to the screen about 2 inches above it...maybe about 3 inches away form the wall, and extends about 4 feet towards the viewing area. It's basically as wide as the screen.
post #42 of 49 Old 10-04-2017, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update:

The maintenance guy in my building said the reason I can't use the ceiling is because it's concrete and the builders said not to mess with it. He said I can use the metal studs in the wall, but strongly advised me to get some wood (plywood?) and mount it to the wall spanning multiple studs and then attach the projector shelf / mount to the wood. He was a bit uneasy about the idea of a 25lb $2k+ projector relying on the metal studs. This was my fear, so I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing what he suggested. I guess if I determine a UST projector won't give me the level of quality I'm looking for, I'll have to hire someone to do a good job installing the projector. That, or settle for a TV with a crappy viewing distance .

At this point I'm just waiting on reviews (and praying for it to be on display somewhere nearby. Probably won't happen.) as well as owner feedback on these forums / Reddit / Amazon / etc. So it sounds like I'll be without movie watching for longer than I thought...
post #43 of 49 Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... I guess if I determine a UST projector won't give me the level of quality I'm looking for, I'll have to hire someone to do a good job installing the projector. That, or settle for a TV with a crappy viewing distance . ...
@AV_Integrated gave you the best solution without having to drill a single hole. You just couldn't find a pre-made C-shaped shelf and gave up. Having someone with proper woodworking tools build you a custom version to your required size and height would end up costing you less than hiring someone to come in and do a professional projector installation. It's an incredibly simple thing to make for anyone with proper tools and basic woodworking skills. It's also the most cost-effective solution. What's not to like?
post #44 of 49 Old 10-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@AV_Integrated gave you the best solution without having to drill a single hole. You just couldn't find a pre-made C-shaped shelf and gave up. Having someone with proper woodworking tools build you a custom version to your required size and height would end up costing you less than hiring someone to come in and do a professional projector installation. It's an incredibly simple thing to make for anyone with proper tools and basic woodworking skills. It's also the most cost-effective solution. What's not to like?

Agreed....it doesn't even have to be elegant, just functional
post #45 of 49 Old 10-04-2017, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I shouldn't have so quickly dismissed the c shaped shelf idea. I guess I got sidetracked worrying about the metal studs (and this whole situation in general). I really do appreciate all the suggestions and I'm sorry if I'm being too dismissive. I'm just very worried about any solution which doesn't have much discussion online and/or has DIY aspects.

My biggest worry about the shelf is that I would need to make it as high as possible to reduce any projector fan noise I would hear. Would making a c-shaped shelf that high (~7.5ft) be a bad idea compared to a shorter shelf (like this)? Would it be less stable? Also, how much weight could I expect a c-shaped shelf to support? Any recommendations about what kind of wood / thickness is best?
post #46 of 49 Old 10-05-2017, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You could always pull you couch away from the wall and put a shelf like this Chrome Commercial 6 Layer behind your couch. Then put all your components and sub behind the couch, that way the only wires your would have to run are speaker wires to your front stage. Speaerk wires are a lot easier to hide than an HDMI cable you will have to run if you put the projector on a shelf behind the couch. I did this before in my apartment, not the prettiest but damn functional and who doesn't love extra storage space.

Last edited by MoviePerson; 10-05-2017 at 09:28 AM.
post #47 of 49 Old 10-05-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... My biggest worry about the shelf is that I would need to make it as high as possible to reduce any projector fan noise I would hear. Would making a c-shaped shelf that high (~7.5ft) be a bad idea compared to a shorter shelf (like this)? Would it be less stable? Also, how much weight could I expect a c-shaped shelf to support? Any recommendations about what kind of wood / thickness is best?
If you're worried about fan noise then focus on a projector known to be especially quiet and make sure it's bright enough to be run in low lamp mode which produces the least fan noise. I have a table-mounted Sony HW45ES that sits less than 2' from my right ear and I can't hear the fan in low lamp mode when a movie is playing.

Also, if your projector is mounted upright sitting on its feet on a high shelf the shelf itself will block some of the fan noise from coming down toward you. Another possibility would be to place a sound-absorbing pad on top of the shelf for the projector to sit on. In reality only a small percentage of people are ultra-sensitive to projector fan noise, so it's not something to be overly concerned about.

It's likely that any projector you buy will weigh less than 20 pounds, and almost any C-shaped shelf will easily hold 20 pounds with no issue. Remember that it will be sandwiched between the sofa and the wall so it won't be able to tip over even if accidentally jostled.
post #48 of 49 Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePerson View Post
You could always pull you couch away from the wall and put a shelf like this Chrome Commercial 6 Layer behind your couch. Then put all your components and sub behind the couch, that way the only wires your would have to run are speaker wires to your front stage. Speaerk wires are a lot easier to hide than an HDMI cable you will have to run if you put the projector on a shelf behind the couch. I did this before in my apartment, not the prettiest but damn functional and who doesn't love extra storage space.
Couch definitely can't move due to GAF (Girlfriend Approval Factor), but I appreciate the suggestion.

Quote:
If you're worried about fan noise then focus on a projector known to be especially quiet and make sure it's bright enough to be run in low lamp mode which produces the least fan noise. I have a table-mounted Sony HW45ES that sits less than 2' from my right ear and I can't hear the fan in low lamp mode when a movie is playing.

Also, if your projector is mounted upright sitting on its feet on a high shelf the shelf itself will block some of the fan noise from coming down toward you. Another possibility would be to place a sound-absorbing pad on top of the shelf for the projector to sit on. In reality only a small percentage of people are ultra-sensitive to projector fan noise, so it's not something to be overly concerned about.

It's likely that any projector you buy will weigh less than 20 pounds, and almost any C-shaped shelf will easily hold 20 pounds with no issue. Remember that it will be sandwiched between the sofa and the wall so it won't be able to tip over even if accidentally jostled.
Good to hear that fan noise probably isn't as bad as I'm thinking it is; I just keep hearing about people complain about fan noise in some of the reviews I've read (don't remember which projector(s)). If I end up not getting a UST projector, then I'm pretty set on getting the 5040UB which is specified to weigh 24.3 lbs, so I guess that's pretty close to the 20 pounds you say the c-shaped shelf will hold without issue. I was more thinking about the risk of the c-shaped shelf moving from side to side if bumped into. Even if the couch prevents it from falling over, it might move enough for the projector to fall. There's a Best Buy sort of near me that has a 5040UB demo unit so I'll have to go see how loud the fan gets.
post #49 of 49 Old 10-10-2017, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... Good to hear that fan noise probably isn't as bad as I'm thinking it is; I just keep hearing about people complain about fan noise in some of the reviews I've read (don't remember which projector(s)). If I end up not getting a UST projector, then I'm pretty set on getting the 5040UB which is specified to weigh 24.3 lbs, so I guess that's pretty close to the 20 pounds you say the c-shaped shelf will hold without issue. I was more thinking about the risk of the c-shaped shelf moving from side to side if bumped into. Even if the couch prevents it from falling over, it might move enough for the projector to fall. ...
As far as noise goes, some projectors are louder than others and some people are more sensitive to fan noise than others, so there's a wide variance from projector to projector and individual to individual.

If worried about the unlikely event of the projector falling off the c-chaped shelf then take the extra step of fastening a ceiling mount to the bottom of the shelf and fastening the projector inverted to the mount. Then it would be locked in tight and couldn't fall even in an earthquake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page