Projector throw and possible obstruction question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projector throw and possible obstruction question

I'm currently planing out a home theater in our finished basement.

Currently I'm debating between the Epson 2045 and the Benq 2050. I'm leaning toward the BenQ but if you have any input here I will happily take it under advisement as well.

I have plenty of throw distance for either option, but the current plan is to mount it to the ceiling.

I will also be projecting onto a Silver Ticket 100" diagonal screen.

Now to my question. There is a part of the wall that extends outward. See the image attached to this thread for basic dimensions. I'm worried that this ledge may interfere with the throw. Am I correct in assuming this or am I just being overly cautious?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	2288630  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 389
The Epson 2040 is out because it has to be mounted about 8" below the top of the image, but the new 2150 might work.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 13/14 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 4 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3lind View Post
I'm currently planing out a home theater in our finished basement.

Currently I'm debating between the Epson 2045 and the Benq 2050. I'm leaning toward the BenQ but if you have any input here I will happily take it under advisement as well.

I have plenty of throw distance for either option, but the current plan is to mount it to the ceiling.

I will also be projecting onto a Silver Ticket 100" diagonal screen.

Now to my question. There is a part of the wall that extends outward. See the image attached to this thread for basic dimensions. I'm worried that this ledge may interfere with the throw. Am I correct in assuming this or am I just being overly cautious?
A projectors mounting position or elevation and throw distance will always be in reference to the screens top or bottom edge, or screen center and the projectors design.

In your case you're considering two different projectors with two different sets of mounting criteria and capabilities. The Benq 2050 has a built in positive offset and lens shift while the Epson 2045 has a small negative offset and no lens shift. In other words, the two projectors require different mount positions.

To your question, the ceiling mounting position for either projector will be in reference to the top edge of the viewable area of your screen. The ceiling overhang should not be a problem in either case.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
The Epson 2040 is out because it has to be mounted about 8" below the top of the image, but the new 2150 might work.
I wouldn't say it's out, but it maybe uncomfortably or undesirably low. Epson's screen calculator has it at 7cm or ~2.75" below the top edge of the screen using a 100" 16:9 screen.

Last edited by b curry; 09-26-2017 at 01:27 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-26-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
Determine the exact location where you plan to mount the projector based on the throw range to fill a 100" screen from one of the projection calculators such as the one at projectorcentral.com. Use a step stool to climb up so that your eyes are level with the point where you plan to have the projector mounted. If you can see the top of the screen's image area below the bottom of the ledge the projector will also be able to "see" the whole screen.

Although there are no professional reviews out yet for the new Epson 2150 it's believed to be a step up from the now discontinued 2045. The 2150 like the BenQ HT2050 has a small amount of vertical lens shift and both can be mounted a little higher than the 2045, which will help keep the projector closer to the ceiling and less intrusive in the room. The pros and cons of Epson's <$1,000 3LCD models vs. BenQ's <$1,000 dollar DLP models have been discussed thousands of times on this and other AV forums. Neither is best for all so you just need to weigh all the pros and cons and see which balance best suits your personal preferences.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-27-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Just in case it doesn't make sense yet, projectors must not only be mounted a certain distance from a screen, they must also be placed at a specific height in relation to the screen.

Some projectors offer flexibility in this placement because they include lens shift, which optically allows you to have some flexibility in placement.

Some projectors have no lens shift, some have a small bit of up/down lens shift (just a few inches), while others have a lot of up/down lens shift (measured in feet, typically compared to screen size) and also include left/right lens shift (typically just a few inches left/right).

So, if you want a projector that is really tight to the ceiling, then you aren't going to find many options as most people mount the screen higher. You can get a lot of lens shift from the Epson 5040. Not sure if the Epson 4000 offers as much lens shift as well, but that would be an option if it does. Otherwise, you must mount the projector so that the lens is about 3" or so above the top of your screen. The BenQ HT2050 may be able to go 4 or 5 inches above the top of the screen, but nowhere near flush to the ceiling.

I'm not sure of the lens shift on the Epson 3100, but it may offer a bit more range to get it a bit higher if desired. Not even a question for me on this one - I would get the BenQ HT2050 over the cheapest Epson models in a second (today). Then I would consider the Epson 3100 or better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page