• 1 Post By Dave in Green

post #1 of 19 Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Olympia Digital Platinum

Hello,

What do you guys think about this? Is it good, which screen inch is suitable for it, is it good on black screen?

There's not much information about this mini projector. Is there any sample videos or how does look on screen?

Specifications:

Resolution accepts the entry of up to 1080px HDMI connectivity Brightness: 85 lumens
Contrast: 1000: 1
3800 mAh internal
battery: Up to 2 hours Screen Format 16: 9 Projection Resolution: 854 x 480 (WVGA) Input: HDMI 1080p Brightness: 85 lumen Contrast: 1000: 1 Dimensions: 99.5 x 99.5 x 22.5 mm Charger: 12V 1500mA High internal speaker: 1W Video
connection: HDMI USB connection (for charging) Accessories accompanying the
product: Mini Tripod Protection Cover HDMI cable HDMI connector adapters Battery charger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-29-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Holy carp, $2,500 on Amazon! For anyone who pays that much money for an off-brand, low-spec projector like this, please PM me immediately as I have some swampland in Florida for sale at a mere $250,000 per acre.

amazon.com/Olympia-Digital-OLYMPIA-DIGITAL-PLATINUM/dp/B0145R72T0
Craig Peer likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-29-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
It's a piece of crap.

Please, just ask about what you are trying to achieve. Research major brands and how to setup a home theater. Read around in the forums some and do some reading on these websites:
www.projectorcentral.com
www.projectorreviews.com

Then come back for follow up questions and answers.

post #4 of 19 Old 10-01-2017, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well I am not looking for a perfect home theater projector. Just for a portable one, something that is okay on 120" black screen.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-01-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALD0PiA View Post
Well I am not looking for a perfect home theater projector. Just for a portable one, something that is okay on 120" black screen.
No, it’s a piece of crap.

It’s a scam.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-01-2017, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I am not looking for a perfect home theater projector. Just for
a portable one, something that is okay on 120" black screen.
You can buy a name brand portable projector with much better performance for way less money than that. Have you done any research at all? What black screen are you planning to buy? Black screens tend not to be portable so what's the need for a portable projector? If you can provide more detailed information about your budget and what exactly you're trying to accomplish you can get good advice here from people with a lot of experience in front projection.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-01-2017, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you know what a black screen is?
Do you know what 80 lumens means?
Do you understand that you are talking to people with decades of projector experience?
Do you understand the definition of 'crap'?

Please, this isn't meant to be insulting, but perhaps a bit sarcastic.

What we need are details of what you are trying to achieve, because it sounds like you are working your way through alibaba, and not stopping first to ask questions about what you should expect to spend budget-wise, and to setup a set of goals which are achievable. Many websites prey on those who are uninformed, and if you just provide us with the details of what you are hoping to get to, then there are people here who are more than happy to give you exactly the information you need.

Acceptable projectors can be had for a few hundred dollars which can deliver a very acceptable and bright image at 120" diagonal.

HD 1080p projectors start at around $500 with some very solid options out there under $1,000.

With a goal of 120" diagonal, which is about 43 square feet, and a THX recomendation of 15 lumens per square foot in a completely dark space, that's about 650 lumens as a minimum brightness, after calibration, projector requirement. So, as a starting point, you need an advertised brightness of no less than about 1,000 lumens. What you asked about is 80 advertised lumens. Which is enough for about 40" diagonal in a completely dark room.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-01-2017, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for clarifying this. A portable one for meetings, and also for spare time to watch movies.

Budget is around 1500-2000$. I am experimenting with black screen, it's a diy screen.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-02-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying this. A portable one for meetings, and also for spare time to watch movies.

Budget is around 1500-2000$. I am experimenting with black screen, it's a diy screen.
OK, that helps. You need a portable projector for meetings and you also want to use it at home to watch movies. Since it's not yet clear how much you understand about front projection I'm going to assume from the projector you first asked about that everyone here knows to be a scam that you don't have a lot of experience.

There can be huge differences in projector performance from brand to brand and model to model, so it's important to know fine details in order to provide the best advice. Here are some basic questions for starters:

1. Do you intend to use your DIY black screen only at home and a standard screen for meetings?

2. What projector are you currently using for meetings and to experiment with your DIY black screen?

3. Do you have a specific distance from your screen you plan to mount the projector at home and in meetings (distance in feet from front of projector lens to screen)?

4. What size is your black screen and if different what size screen will you use for meetings (diagonal in inches)?

5. Do you have any idea what the gain of your black screen is?

6. What are the typical lighting conditions for your meeting presentations and home use (mostly dark, some ambient light, a lot of ambient light, etc.)?

7. Will you be using your projector exclusively for video in both meetings and at home or will you be showing business-type slides and still images in meetings?
post #10 of 19 Old 10-04-2017, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

It's true that I don't have much experience but I've read a lot in here.

1. I am using it at home only. Correct, a standard screen for meetings.

2. It's an old Epson with 640x480 resolution at work. I don't use it for the black screen. V

3. A desktop on table, not mounted. The distance will be around three meters.

4. I am about to make 120" black screen. At work I use what is used for projectors.

5. It has to be a low gain or I want something that looks great on lighted room.

6. At home is bright, sun shines through windows. And at work, it depends on the room.

7. Videos, powerpoints, pictures and commercials. I'd like a mini projector with 4k. Can you peeps take me to the right directions where to get one?

Thank you for your time.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-04-2017, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is no mini projector with true 4K or even fake 4K in the world. The imaging chips don't exist. Anyone that advertises as such is lying to you. (period)

The Epson 3100 or 3700 is a very good model to consider. It is not small, but it isn't as large as their 5040UB. It has solid black levels, but also is very bright. So, you get true 1080p output and you get excellent color for presentations with very good light output, but, for theater use, it also delivers well. On a low gain screen it has the added brightness to maintain a better image than most competing projectors out there. It seems like an ideal candidate to meet all your requests, except number 7, which just doesn't exist at all.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4147 Post(s)
Liked: 4233
Quote:
It's true that I don't have much experience but I've read a lot in here.

1. I am using it at home only. Correct, a standard screen for meetings.

2. It's an old Epson with 640x480 resolution at work. I don't use it for the black screen. V

3. A desktop on table, not mounted. The distance will be around three meters.

4. I am about to make 120" black screen. At work I use what is used for projectors.

5. It has to be a low gain or I want something that looks great on lighted room.

6. At home is bright, sun shines through windows. And at work, it depends on the room.

7. Videos, powerpoints, pictures and commercials. I'd like a mini projector with 4k. Can you peeps take me to the right directions where to get one?

Thank you for your time.
I just played around last night with the Optoma UHD60 I won at Cedia. It's fairly light weight, bright, takes a 4K signal, costs around $2k. Might be a good choice. A few screen shots -

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #13 of 19 Old 10-04-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@WALD0PiA , @AV_Integrated recommended the very bright Epson 3100 (2,600 lumens) or 3700 (3,000 lumens) to you because black screens can require many lumens to properly illuminate. A bright projector will also help you with presentations when there is some lighting in the room. But the 3100/3700 are not considered portables because they are bigger than the average portable. If you don't mind a larger than average portable they are good options to consider, depending on your budget. One caution: For a 120" screen the 3100/3700 require a minimum throw distance of 3.5m from the front of the lens to the screen, so they would not be able to throw a 120" image from 3m.

If your budget is lower and you would prefer a smaller, more portable model that is still very bright then you might want to also consider one of two new Epson models -- the 2150 or 1060. They are so new that there are not yet any professional reviews of them. But they are similar enough to previous Epson models that some assumptions can be made. The 2,500-lumen 2150 has more home entertainment features while the 3,100-lumen 1060 is more of a crossover business/home entertainment model. Like the 3100/3700 the 2150 requires a minimum 3.5m throw for a 120" image.

The 1060 is the only one of the four Epson models that can throw a 120" image from as close as 3m. The 1060 can throw a 120" image from a range of 2.7m-3.2m. Since it is small, bright and has the correct throw range for your 3m distance from your black screen it seems to be the most likely option for you unless you can have the lens of your projector at 3.5m or more from your black screen at home.

We have been giving you the North American model names for these Epson models, but I see that you are using meters instead of feet. If you are in Canada then the model names are the same. However, if you are outside of North American then Epson uses different names for these models.

EDIT: I see now that @Craig Peer has recommended the Optoma UHD60. This model requires an even longer throw to fill a 120" screen. The minimum distance the front of the UHD60's lens can be from a 120" screen is 3.7m. So as you can see it's really important to know the exact throw distance from your 120" black screen at home to know which projector models will work and which ones won't.
AV_Integrated likes this.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 10-04-2017 at 10:28 AM.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Home Theater Lover

Sorry - didn't see a throw distance requirement of 3 meters. Just throwing out an idea that's better than the original projector - but one needs to make sure any projector will fit your throw distance etc. !!

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #15 of 19 Old 10-05-2017, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, this the information I needed. Thank you very much. I'm from Finland, let's see what I'll find about these projectors. I believe the bulb takes a lot of electricity.

I'll take pictures, once in WIP
@Craig Peer , can you show me how the screen looks in lighted room. Impressive picture

Last edited by WALD0PiA; 10-05-2017 at 09:51 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
Wow, this the information I needed. Thank you very much. I'm from Finland, let's see what I'll find about these projectors. I believe the bulb takes a lot of electricity.

I'll take pictures, once in WIP
@Craig Peer , can you show me how the screen looks in lighted room. Impressive picture
Unfortunately no - I took the projector down. It was only a temporary install !

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #17 of 19 Old 10-05-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, this the information I needed. Thank you very much. I'm from Finland, let's see what I'll find about these projectors. I believe the bulb takes a lot of electricity. ...
In Finland there is no equivalent to the Epson 3100 sold in the USA, which is really nothing more than a less bright 3700. The brighter 3700 in Finland is the EH-TW6700 and the smaller 2150 in Finland is the EH-TW5650. You will be able to find many reviews of the EH-TW6700 (3700) because it has been on sale for a year. The EH-TW5650 (2150) is a brand new model so there are no professional reviews yet.

Yes, it's true that projector lamps use a lot of electricity to produce a bright image. The EH-TW6700 uses a 250 watt lamp and the EH-TW5650 uses a 200 watt lamp, though they do not draw full power when being run on low lamp. 3LCD projectors like these Epson models can produce a brighter image with less lamp power than DLP projectors because 3LCD is more light efficient than DLP.

LED projectors use less electricity but cannot match the high light output of UHP lamp projectors. You need a bright projector for your 120" black screen at home and for presentations in meeting rooms where there may be lights on. The only relatively bright LED projectors are very expensive specialty models. Many of the cheap LED models advertised to produce 2,000-3,000 lumens have been independently measured to actually produce 200-300 lumens.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-05-2017, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
In Finland there is no equivalent to the Epson 3100 sold in the USA, which is really nothing more than a less bright 3700. The brighter 3700 in Finland is the EH-TW6700 and the smaller 2150 in Finland is the EH-TW5650. You will be able to find many reviews of the EH-TW6700 (3700) because it has been on sale for a year. The EH-TW5650 (2150) is a brand new model so there are no professional reviews yet.

Yes, it's true that projector lamps use a lot of electricity to produce a bright image. The EH-TW6700 uses a 250 watt lamp and the EH-TW5650 uses a 200 watt lamp, though they do not draw full power when being run on low lamp. 3LCD projectors like these Epson models can produce a brighter image with less lamp power than DLP projectors because 3LCD is more light efficient than DLP.

LED projectors use less electricity but cannot match the high light output of UHP lamp projectors. You need a bright projector for your 120" black screen at home and for presentations in meeting rooms where there may be lights on. The only relatively bright LED projectors are very expensive specialty models. Many of the cheap LED models advertised to produce 2,000-3,000 lumens have been independently measured to actually produce 200-300 lumens.
Nice, how did you find about these projectors in Finland so soon?

I've been thinking to buy a new screen, Crystal Edge Technology. He has amateur videos on youtube.

Any thought about his screens, any experience?

Last edited by WALD0PiA; 10-06-2017 at 02:57 AM.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-06-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice, how did you find about these projectors in Finland so soon?

I've been thinking to buy a new screen, Crystal Edge Technology. He has amateur videos on youtube.

Any thought about his screens, any experience?
It's not just Finland. Epson uses the EH-TWXXXX designation everywhere in the world but North America. Veterans of this forum are already aware of this.

Veterans of this forum and front projection in general tend not to put much credibility on YouTube videos to judge projector or screen performance. The most reliable reports come from independent, experienced professionals with years of experience evaluating projector and screen performance -- preferably with calibrated test equipment that produces hard performance numbers. Crystal Edge Technology screens are too new for anyone to know how well they perform. All we know right now is that they are very expensive. There is a discussion about Crystal Edge Technology screens in the Screens section of AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page