why japan do not produce DLP projectors - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By raminolta

post #1 of 11 Old 09-29-2017, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
why japan do not produce DLP projectors

hello all,

Can anybody know the reason why Japan do not product DLP, while I see that most Taiwan brandname are DLP.

In my country people prefer to use DLP other than LCD or Lcos, all are saying that DLP is cheaper, more durable after long time while LCD and Lcos deteriorate very fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-29-2017, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Where do people in your country get their information from?!
giomania likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-29-2017, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by happythanh View Post
hello all,

Can anybody know the reason why Japan do not product DLP, while I see that most Taiwan brandname are DLP.

In my country people prefer to use DLP other than LCD or Lcos, all are saying that DLP is cheaper, more durable after long time while LCD and Lcos deteriorate very fast.
JVC does produce a DLP unit.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-30-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Several Japanese companies (e.g., NEC, Panasonic, Hitachi and yes even JVC) do produce DLP projectors, but these are generally for the business and education markets and also there are DLP pico/portable models also from Japanese companies that are used by some gamers as well as business travelers..

Last edited by Ron Jones; 09-30-2017 at 07:50 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-02-2017, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Hello all,

I am talking about cinema projectors, I really wonder why Japan mostly use LCD or Lcos only.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-03-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Hello all,

I am talking about cinema projectors, I really wonder why Japan mostly use LCD or Lcos only.
Because 3-chip LCD and LCOS/SXRD/DiLA have exceeded DLP in the areas that make a projector desirable for HT/Cinema use. Why TI hasn't pushed 3-chip DLP to the HT market? It's really the only way at this point to make it competive. It could match the Lumens with a lower wattage bulb. No more rainbows or sequential color flashing designs.

The only advantage single chip DLP has is pixel alignment IMHO. The CRs are terrible with the new DLP UHD chips.

TI really hasn't done much to push DLP forward since the micro-display rear projection design era. The same probably can be said of LCOS but 3-chip designs are just inherently superior.

post #7 of 11 Old 10-03-2017, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknow****a View Post
Because 3-chip LCD and LCOS/SXRD/DiLA have exceeded DLP in the areas that make a projector desirable for HT/Cinema use. Why TI hasn't pushed 3-chip DLP to the HT market? It's really the only way at this point to make it competive. It could match the Lumens with a lower wattage bulb. No more rainbows or sequential color flashing designs.

The only advantage single chip DLP has is pixel alignment IMHO. The CRs are terrible with the new DLP UHD chips.

TI really hasn't done much to push DLP forward since the micro-display rear projection design era. The same probably can be said of LCOS but 3-chip designs are just inherently superior.
Tks @toknow ****a for detailed comment, sorry for my poor English, so you mean Lcos/LCD is more superior than DLP in HT projectors.

In my country Vietnam, people all say that DLP is better LCD/Lcos in terms of durability, eternity in color/contrast quality for long time use and of course it is also cheaper.

In fact I used to use a Sony 55ES, after 400 hours the black becomes grey, Sony came to my house and told me that the Red panel is defective and totally makes all the color are wrong, warranty is just expired. I was disappointed with Sony and just change to DLP to buy Optoma UHD65.

But I also heard people said LCos is superior but why High End Projector like Sim or Runco only use DLP? this point is really a headache.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-04-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
The top shelf projectors are 3-DLP models. DLP as a single chip product is great at the cheapest end. You get a single chip 1080p projector starting at $500 in the USA. They look as good, or better than anything else under $1,000.

But, that DLP chip is about 7 years old in design. It has acceptable, but not great, black levels. Nowhere near as good as your HW55ES was. The better LCD models also will outperform the entry level DLP models. Mid-tier LCD, like the Epson 3100 and 3700 should be close to the performance of the entry level DLP models.

Durability, the DLP chips tend to be better. But, their use of a color wheel is a failure point that often is as prevalent as polarizer degradation with LCD or LCoS.

A real question about DLP is why hasn't Texas Instruments improved upon the .67" 1080p chip in more than half a decade? Why are the new 4K chips potentially even worse in image quality than the current chip?

Sim's entry level projectors are a scam in my opinion. If they really outperform the Sony HW45ES, or the lower price point JVC models it would be 'barely'. If they outperform the better BenQ or Optoma models it would be a shock. They don't really put their stuff out there for review, so it is hard to say.

Then you get the 3-chip DLP models which are a gold standard right now. They have better contrast, better light output, and offer true 4K solutions, at ten or a hundred times the price. It's insane.

I have no idea why Texas Instruments never released a $3,000 1080p 3-DLP projector to the world. It would potentially outperform, or be close, to the best that LCD and LCoS has to offer. But, they don't care about that market. It's not a large market, and they don't have product development members who want to push into that arena.

Texas Instruments does not care.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-09-2017, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
The top shelf projectors are 3-DLP models. DLP as a single chip product is great at the cheapest end. You get a single chip 1080p projector starting at $500 in the USA. They look as good, or better than anything else under $1,000.

But, that DLP chip is about 7 years old in design. It has acceptable, but not great, black levels. Nowhere near as good as your HW55ES was. The better LCD models also will outperform the entry level DLP models. Mid-tier LCD, like the Epson 3100 and 3700 should be close to the performance of the entry level DLP models.

Durability, the DLP chips tend to be better. But, their use of a color wheel is a failure point that often is as prevalent as polarizer degradation with LCD or LCoS.

A real question about DLP is why hasn't Texas Instruments improved upon the .67" 1080p chip in more than half a decade? Why are the new 4K chips potentially even worse in image quality than the current chip?

Sim's entry level projectors are a scam in my opinion. If they really outperform the Sony HW45ES, or the lower price point JVC models it would be 'barely'. If they outperform the better BenQ or Optoma models it would be a shock. They don't really put their stuff out there for review, so it is hard to say.

Then you get the 3-chip DLP models which are a gold standard right now. They have better contrast, better light output, and offer true 4K solutions, at ten or a hundred times the price. It's insane.

I have no idea why Texas Instruments never released a $3,000 1080p 3-DLP projector to the world. It would potentially outperform, or be close, to the best that LCD and LCoS has to offer. But, they don't care about that market. It's not a large market, and they don't have product development members who want to push into that arena.

Texas Instruments does not care.
They "don't care" - or could it be that they dont think they specifically can make money by doing it?
post #10 of 11 Old 10-09-2017, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 204
7 year old, isn’t DC3 from like 2004?
post #11 of 11 Old 10-09-2017, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
hello all,

Because they have great tech out there: SXRD, LCoS, LCD reflective, 3LCD, which they develop on regular basis.

Video: Epson TW9300 (5040ub), Denon AVR-X4300H, Panasonic UHD UB700, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, PS4 Pro, Samsung 65KS9000, Xbox 1S, dedicated HT room, 113" Adeo Prestige ref white
Audio: Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 (Dali Zensor: Z5,Z1,vokal,Phantom,Alteco, Sub E-12F), Denon PMA-1500AE,

Last edited by MartyMcFlyy; 10-09-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page