Sony hw45es screen flicker normal? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By robinw

post #1 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sony hw45es screen flicker normal?

Dear avs forum readers,

Recently i became the proud owner of a sony hw45es. The lamp has some 180 hours on it and i'm noticing a flicker effect. It's the same kind of flicker which is produced by fluorescent lights. (just google fluorescent light flicker if you've never noticed)

I'm not sure if it was already there from the start or it developed over time, i just noticed it recently.

It's constant and especially visible in high power mode which i usually use.

This is my first projector. Is this normal or should i ask for a repair/replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinw View Post
Dear avs forum readers,

Recently i became the proud owner of a sony hw45es. The lamp has some 180 hours on it and i'm noticing a flicker effect. It's the same kind of flicker which is produced by fluorescent lights. (just google fluorescent light flicker if you've never noticed)

I'm not sure if it was already there from the start or it developed over time, i just noticed it recently.

It's constant and especially visible in high power mode which i usually use.

This is my first projector. Is this normal or should i ask for a repair/replacement?
This is a well-known defect with Sony projectors and their lamps. Certain members here were spreading misinformation stating that the defect had been fixed with the new Sony 45es model. But obviously this defect has continued with the new 45ES.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks i'll contact my store then.

I searched for people having similar problems but couldn't find them since they we're all related to flickering in low lamp setting which is a different and more obvious flicker i noticed on an epson 3700, which i tried and in the end didn't keep in favor of the sony.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2040 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
@robinw , check the HW45ES owners thread where dozens of satisfied HW45ES owners have reported no sign of lamp flicker. If it was a common issue with the HW45ES there would be many more reports of it.

As previously discussed when this subject came up flicker is a characteristic that can develop in any projector with any brand of UHP lamp. If you do a search for BenQ projector flicker or Optoma projector flicker or Epson projector flicker or (Insert Any Brand) projector flicker you'll see reports for all of them, not just Sony.

I haven't seen a sign of a flicker with my HW45ES but my old Panasonic projector did develop flicker. The simple fix for me was to change from low to high lamp for about 20 hours before switching back to low lamp. End of flicker. Others who developed flicker in high lamp mode cured it by running in low lamp for awhile.

Here's what a real professional (ISF calibrator Jeff Meier) has to say about UHP lamp flicker:

Quote:
This behavior is inherent to UHP lamps.
homecinemaguru.com/why-is-my-projector-flickering/
post #5 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ok guys,

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I found the cause!

Running the power chord next to the hdmi cable in the same enclosure along the wall for 4 meters or so...
I tried a separate power chord and the flicker was gone.

I wouldn't expect a digital signal to pickup analog interference but i guess it does.
Dave in Green likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinw View Post
Ok guys,

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I found the cause!

Running the power chord next to the hdmi cable in the same enclosure along the wall for 4 meters or so...
I tried a separate power chord and the flicker was gone.

I wouldn't expect a digital signal to pickup analog interference but i guess it does.
Nice job in figuring out the issue. Dave is correct that pretty much any projector can suffer from flicker. I'm at about 650hrs on my Sony and it hasn't ever flickered once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
hw45 flicker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page