1Likes
  • 1 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 4 Old 10-01-2017, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is the BenQ MH530FHD for me?

I am in the market for my first projector for the cinema room I am building.

I will be projecting on a 137" diagonal 16:9 screen (with masking system), and plan to mount it on the ceiling roughly 13'-14'. I can squeeze in an extra foot back if I have to, but then it's getting too close to being mounted above the fireplace, which I am trying to avoid.

It looks like the BenQ MH530FHD just barely allows that distance for the 137" screen.

The projector will be used primarily for movies and a good amount of gaming, PC and console, in a completely dark/light controlled room.

My limit is $550 and that is pushing it. I was originally looking into the cheap $100-$200 LED projectors on Amazon, but the more I read, the more it became obvious that I would need to spend within at least the $500+ range to get a decent projector, so I raised the cap at $550.

Looking through the projectorcentral.com database, I found the BenQ MH530FHD to be just within my price criteria, and seems to have pretty much everything I want, with native 1080p res, 3K+ lumens and 3D capability, and a throw distance ranging just within my range. It seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

I am pretty much sold on the MH530FHD, but I am wondering if there is anything better than that within my budget to suit my needs that anyone might recommend?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-01-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I was unable to verify but I suspect this projector has a clear segment in the color wheel and is not RGBRGB. The BenQ HT1070 I believe is only $499 and would be a better dedicated HT Projector although not as bright much better color accuracy.
Sintwar likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-01-2017, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
I was unable to verify but I suspect this projector has a clear segment in the color wheel and is not RGBRGB. The BenQ HT1070 I believe is only $499 and would be a better dedicated HT Projector although not as bright much better color accuracy.
Hmm the HT1070 looks pretty good too. I would prefer better color/contrast over brightness, and in a pitch black room, I can't imagine 2K lumens would cause any real brightness/contrast issues.

This will serve as my starter projector, so I will only have it until I decide I am willing/able to spend a lot more. Thanks for the suggestion!

post #4 of 4 Old 10-01-2017, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Just a second recommendation that you should be looking at home theater models, like the BenQ HT2050 or 1070 as the proper entry point for front projection. Using a business projector at home, and wondering why the results are so-so (or worse) isn't a good jumping off platform. BenQ makes very solid entry level models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page