Recommendation for first projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-02-2017, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Recommendation for first projector

Hi everyone,

I'm from Australia and new to the surround sound systems and now got the itch for projectors.
I've been following the forum since I got my hands on white van speakers.

As this will be my first projector ever, I have some questions that I couldn't find clear answers.

There are a few options I have:
1) Benq W1090 brand new $895 AUD
2) Epson EH-TW5300 brand new $1150 AUD
3) Benq W1070+ used $500 AUD (dude says low hours but not sure)

My room is kind of small. I can project from 3m (9.8foot) to a wall approximately 2.5m X 1.6m (8.2f X 5.2f)
Very low ambient light and I'll be using it mainly for movies and netflix etc. Around 4-5 hours a day max.
Projector will be desk mounted and almost right in front of the wall.
Not to worried about the noise lvls and stuff, just image quality.

How bad the image will get after 2000 hours of use?
How hard will it be to find replacement lamps for those units?
Is it worth paying more for led projectors?
Will I be better if getting an LG 1080p led projector when they'll be available here.
Or should I not wait and get one now and enjoy it now.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-02-2017, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

I couldn't find the edit so there is one more option:

4) Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8700UB 1080p 3LCD Projector + Spare Bulb + remote
and 1 more Epson 1080p projector that has a fault for $550 AUD
post #3 of 8 Old 10-03-2017, 02:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Not sure what a w1090 is as its not in the calculator, maybe a w1070? Here in the states a BenQ HT1070 new is going for $499 us. Buying used is always a gamble with no warranty because if it fails they generally aren't worth repairing. From a little less then 9Ft as you need room for the projector body because measurements are from front of lens to screen the 1070 class projector can shoot about a 100" diag screen or about 50" tall by 90" wide. Picture won't degrade with lamp age just keep getting a little dimmer, and lamps are readily available here I would assume there also. Led projectors are usually dimmer and more expensive for a good one. If projector is on a desk it must be a few inches below the bottom of the screen.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-03-2017, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 825
What do you mean the projector will be mounted 'right in front of the wall'? Do you mean, you have a desk on that wall and you intend to plop a projector on it and project from just a few inches away? If so, then you would need to buy a ultra short throw (UST) projector and do a LOT more homework.

Projectors have a very specific throw distance/range that is usually about 12' or so for a 100" diagonal image. Some can be closer, some further back, and most have some zoom range to adjust that range a bit.

You also threw me off with your projection dimensions of 8' x 5'. As that's either a really low ceiling or a very narrow room, but makes more sense if you are saying that you have a desk below the projection area that is about 3' above the floor, and you want to project above the desk.

Realistically, you need a projector at the opposite side of the room, and you would want it ceiling mounted so as to not be in the way of people moving about in the room.

Short of that, I may look towards the LG PF1000U which is a UST projector that can handle a 100" (or so) diagonal in a dim/dark room and uses a LED light engine for years of use. Price will be higher, quality will be lower, and projector will be dimmer than traditional lamp-based equivalents.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-03-2017, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the bad explanation.

The room is like that. The wall size I gave was for the clear area on the wall without light switches and stuff.
When I said desk mounted and almost right in front of the wall I tried to mean it will be centered and won't be projecting from a weird angle.

UST isn't a good option for me as it means running the cables to the unit also I don't have the problem of people walking in the room.

I'll probably listen to rekbones advice and go for a brand new unit which will reduce my options to Benq W1090 or Epson TW5300.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	2292016  
post #6 of 8 Old 10-03-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 825
You will really want to watch your projector placement and your distance for the screen size. It is worth taking a look at Projector Central and their calculator for exact sizes and distances.

The Epson 5300 is equivalent to the US version 2040. It has limited zoom range, no lens shift, and will have the image slightly below the centerline of the lens.

The BenQ, I believe is the HT1070 here in the USA, and also has no lens shift and the image will be slightly above the centerline of the lens. Throw distance is different between these projectors, but I don't believe by much.

So, 3m throw (lens to screen) will yield about a 90" to 100" diagonal image. from either projector. If the size matters a lot and it must be smaller, then you will need the lens closer. If 3m is the total depth of the space, then the lens WILL be closer, so the image can be smaller. Distance matters a great deal, as does the height of the projector as the center of the image will be above the center of the lens.

A much more flexible projector is the Epson EH-TW6700W - Which I believe is the European version of the USA 3100.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...EH-TW6700W.htm

It has lots of lens shift and more lens zoom range.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-03-2017, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks AV_Integrated.

I didn't know about the projector height and center of the image.
The wall height 1.6m where the image will be is from the ceiling down.
The desk is about 1m high so if I place the projector on top, the image will be on top of the light switch which will drive me crazy.

TW6700 is good but double the price and over my budget.
Seems like I may need to do a ceiling mount or wall mount to increase the height of the projector.

What if I aim the projector slightly up and not placed it sitting straight on the desk?
It has vertical keystone correction.

Will this saves me from mounting it on the ceiling or the wall?
post #8 of 8 Old 10-03-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Digital keystone correction will degrade the image and it is always best to avoid it if at all possible, some don't mind but text from a desktop will suffer the most. If the projector needs to be higher place something flat under it like a big book. With the BenQ the bottom of the image will be a few inches above the lens with it sitting upright on a desk.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page