Looking To "Black Out" a Window and a Set of Patio Doors...Does "this" Product Exist? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-03-2017, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Looking To "Black Out" a Window and a Set of Patio Doors...Does "this" Product Exist?

Hi all,

First, I have a set of curtains existing on each (patio door and window)...and I have a wife.

She's let me take over the lower level but I may be more aesthetically anal than she is, actually.

The existing curtains look great, but just don't block out enough light (not bad, but could be improved) for serious watching...even though it's the north side of the house.

So, think "motorized screen" when I say: are there any motorized curtains that work VERTICALLY, instead of pulling left and right, horizontally?

The idea would be to simply hit a button and have one/two nice-looking (preferably black) curtains drop straight down from the ceiling from an otherwise unobtrusive box) and sit in front of the windows. Done

The curtain would be hidden (again, in the case mounted on the ceiling) until needed (unlike L and R curtains that simply "hang out" until drawn shut) and then drop straight to the floor. Would shut out WAY more light, simply by the nature of it being a solid mass rather than 2 sections meeting in the middle, and would disappear when done. Perfect.

It would seem to me this could very popular for some in a mixed room like mine! No?

Thanks for any help, I don't want to overspend on motorized screens, but I haven't seen anything like this.

Perhaps I could but the motorized screen and replace the screen with fabric, but I'm fearing the fabric I would need would be too thick/heavy for the unit.

Thanks for any help!

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-03-2017, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

May have found an option in "motorized blinds"....looking into it...

James
post #3 of 5 Old 10-03-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
They have all sorts of options out there that work. This may not be the best forum to ask that question in I would expect as many of the sub $3,000 guys are a lot less than $3,000 and often 'cheaper' with their setups. But, I've seen light blocking curtains which go up and down in tracks for 100% light absorption that live in valances outside of windows and work great. These are roller shades.

I've ALSO seen outdoor versions of the same. Instead of mounting them indoors where they may be seen, they get mounted outside your home and are weatherproof. You hit a button and they drop and completely block light. Your curtains remain 100% unaffected by them, so you maintain the perfect interior look you want while also getting 100% blackout for the room. How cool is that?

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-03-2017, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^. Yep, been looking. They're almost all universally more money that I'd (and I think, most) would ever want to spend on such a product, regardless of income.Will prolly just install a blind in the window orifice, darker shades on the patio door for a fraction of the price, and call it a day.

Thanks
James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Last edited by mastermaybe; 10-03-2017 at 10:11 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-04-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 300
I've had a fairly good experience with opaque ("room darkening") roller blinds mounted inside the window jambs (my windows have 5" jambs, so it's not difficult to recess them). With curtains over them, they shouldn't impact the aesthetic very much. You can custom-size them (and choose colors) from Depot, who will ship them direct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page