Help - Epson 6500UB Bulb Failure - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-06-2017, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help - Epson 6500UB Bulb Failure

Haven't been on the forums since I purchased my last projector, an Epson HC 6500UB. It has been a great projector, but the other night while gaming I noticed the picture didn't seem clear, or was washed out. I thought it might have been my tired eyes but in the back of my mind I was wondering if the bulb was failing. Well, today my son was gaming and came up to let me know he heard a pop and the screen went black. I knew what that was right away, as our last projector had a similar failure.

Anyway, first I want to confirm that it makes sense to replace the bulb. Despite being older, I am thinking this is a projector worth keeping.

Second, I haven't opened it up yet, but given that the bulb popped, do I have to worry about any additional damage to the projector? On my last projector, went the lamp went it seemed the break was contained within the housing. Hoping that is the case here.

Finally, can someone point me in the right direction for replacement bulbs? I am assuming I should stick with OEM, or are there some replacement bulbs out there that are equivalent in quality? I know enough to know there are a lot of cheap chinese bulbs out there. I would like to get the projector going again for as cheap as possible, but obviously without affecting quality.

Appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-07-2017, 04:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The only way to be sure your getting a decent lamp is from Epson or an Epson distributor with and Epson serial number on the box. All other lamps are a crap shoot so only an option if you like to gamble. If the projector was in good shape before the lamp failure its well worth replacing it as long as it doesn't have any failing polerizors or LCD's. The chance of the exploded lamp damaging anything is slim but always a possibility.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 7 Old 10-07-2017, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Epson 6500UB is still a great projector Needs laser light source

I like the Epson 6500UB so much that I bought two of them. I gave them both away several years ago when I upgraded to an LG PF1500.
Both units I gave away are still working great. They have both had multiple bulb changes over the years. My next door neighbor has one of the units and I recently saw it and the picture was great. I may have given them away to soon?

If you can change the bulb and keep going that is what I'd do.

My guess is Epson will soon have a 1080P laser soon in a cheap price range if they want to stay in business with the competition.

If they just put a $100.00 laser engine replacement in the 6500UB they would own the market.

They have been stuck on bulb profits for a long time and don't want to see them go away.

These days bulbs are so yesterdays news.....

m.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby View Post
I like the Epson 6500UB so much that I bought two of them. I gave them both away several years ago when I upgraded to an LG PF1500.
Both units I gave away are still working great. They have both had multiple bulb changes over the years. My next door neighbor has one of the units and I recently saw it and the picture was great. I may have given them away to soon?

If you can change the bulb and keep going that is what I'd do.

My guess is Epson will soon have a 1080P laser soon in a cheap price range if they want to stay in business with the competition.

If they just put a $100.00 laser engine replacement in the 6500UB they would own the market.

They have been stuck on bulb profits for a long time and don't want to see them go away.

These days bulbs are so yesterdays news.....

m.
They're already releasing an Ultra Short Throw projector (laser light engine) in November; model is Epson LS100. It'll probably be on par with the 6500UB's (which I have right now) performance....on top of that it's priced about the same as when the 6500UB was originally released.

If and when they start replacing lamps with lasers I'm sure they'll retrofit it in something at least with the starting point/quality of a 5030 or 5040UB (just a wild guess).

There's too much advancement in the laser light market for a company to not start thinking about this as the norm. Yes, they have their laser LS10500 with what's basically LCOS panels, but that's much more expensive than all their lamp based LCD projectors (I'm referring to the sub 3 grand market, such as the 5040UB...which has gotten so many rave reviews, and doesn't COMPLETELY break the bank..)

It would seem like a no brainer to start making their excellent performing mid priced projectors with a laser light source...

Last edited by cbaseuser; 10-07-2017 at 01:27 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-07-2017, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, way out of the loop...will have to read up on this laser thing.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I will see what I can find for lamps. If anyone knows a good source that sells Epson bulbs for less than Epson, feel free to shoot me message.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRempel View Post
Wow, way out of the loop...will have to read up on this laser thing.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I will see what I can find for lamps. If anyone knows a good source that sells Epson bulbs for less than Epson, feel free to shoot me message.
I bought a seemingly equivalent lamp from newegg, and I noticed it wasn't as bright as my used lamp. B&H photo is where I've been getting my replacements for years (authentic AND an original Epson bulb).

I've also heard people here on the AVS forum have good experiences with the AVS store, so you might want to price the lamps and weigh your options.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-08-2017, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post
It would seem like a no brainer to start making their excellent performing mid priced projectors with a laser light source...
It goes beyond a "no-brainer". It should have already happened years ago.

Epson, BenQ, and Sony have serious profits from legacy bulb sales. A laser engine in production quantity is now less than $100.00. Even the LG's can be found on sale occasionally for less than $600.00 at Fry's etc.

Companies like LG that have jumped the gun are now forcing the market to change. You know the other companies must hate this but it is progress and the future for certain.

Sony is pushing their new 5,000 Lumen laser Sony VPL-PHZ10 for $3100.00. I paid $2700 for my Epson 6500UB years ago. We are getting very close now.

So, when the consumer buys a laser projector not only do they not keep buying overpriced expensive bulbs but, more than likely not needing another new projector for many many years after the initial sale. That new projector churn (turn over rate) goes from every 3 to 4 years to 10 or more.

Looking very much forward to my new 1080P Epson, Sony, or BenQ based on their current models with a new laser light engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page