Surge/UPS for Projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Surge/UPS for Projector

From my reading it seems a UPS is very important for a projector due the fan, is this correct?

If so, any recommendations for someone with a budget. I am looking for the best bang for the buck, displays etc not as important. Also, If I have something in a UPS, can i still send it through a Power Conditioner, or should I plug into the power conditioner first and have the Power Conditioner plugged into the UPS, or is it 1 or the other. My power fluctuates so I think a Power Conditioner will clean up my video and sound potentially.

Suggestions on budget UPS?

Suggestions on Power Conditioner?

How to use both together for equipment, which way is best to wire it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
It depends on the projector. Some models have instant off where the fan turns off right away when you shut down the projector, so a power outage causing the projector to shut down and the fan to immediately stop would cause no harm. The first thing is to check your user manual and see if your projector model has instant off.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
It depends on the projector. Some models have instant off where the fan turns off right away when you shut down the projector, so a power outage causing the projector to shut down and the fan to immediately stop would cause no harm. The first thing is to check your user manual and see if your projector model has instant off.
Thanks I will do that, I have not even opened the box yet. It is the Epson 5040UB

post #4 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Epson has a lot of models with instant off, but I'm not sure if the 5040UB is one of them. If there's nothing in the user manual you could check in the 5040UB owners thread. Or, you could simply cycle your new projector on and off and see if the fan turns off right away or keeps running for a minute or two.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Epson has a lot of models with instant off, but I'm not sure if the 5040UB is one of them. If there's nothing in the user manual you could check in the 5040UB owners thread. Or, you could simply cycle your new projector on and off and see if the fan turns off right away or keeps running for a minute or two.
Will do thanks!
post #6 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
if i'm not mistaken, the issue is mostly about premature bulb failure. so unless you have frequent failures, it might not make sense to spend more on a UPS than a bulb costs.

most UPS's are power conditioners, i don't believe you need both.

if you're extra picky, look for a UPS with a 'pure sine wave', that way when it kicks in, the electrical output is more similar to what comes out of the wall.

if the projector is the only thing you're going to plug into it, you should be able to find something under 100bux that will work. it only needs to run about 5mins to safely turn off your projector. i opted for 1000VA models, because i also have my HTPC, game consoles, and router plugged into it. this gives me enough time to turn everything off safely, or about 3 hours with just the router so i still have internet during power failures

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #7 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
if i'm not mistaken, the issue is mostly about premature bulb failure. so unless you have frequent failures, it might not make sense to spend more on a UPS than a bulb costs.

most UPS's are power conditioners, i don't believe you need both.

if you're extra picky, look for a UPS with a 'pure sine wave', that way when it kicks in, the electrical output is more similar to what comes out of the wall.

if the projector is the only thing you're going to plug into it, you should be able to find something under 100bux that will work. it only needs to run about 5mins to safely turn off your projector. i opted for 1000VA models, because i also have my HTPC, game consoles, and router plugged into it. this gives me enough time to turn everything off safely, or about 3 hours with just the router so i still have internet during power failures

I would be plugging in a HTPC, receiver, PS4, Direct TV box, projector. So UPS have power conditioners in them even when not working on battery? I have an issue with some power fluctuations at my home it seems, with occasional power loss. I would like to smooth out the power so my video/audio quality doesn't fluctuate.

Admittedly I don't know much about this topic.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Interestingly enough, I have an Epson 6500UB (I've had for almost 10 years now), and when I power it off, the lamp fan only runs for about 10 seconds until all the way off. Doesn't seem detrimental to me if it were to cut off during a power outage, even though I realize these machines are engineered to perform a certain way.

However, multiple 'power downs' with blackouts probably wouldn't be a good idea. I guess I'm saying each model has a threshold with the lamp and fan situation.

Another reason for laser based projectors in the mainstream lol.

Sorry, but that's a little of topic, but yes, steady power seems important for all electronic devices, projector or not..
post #9 of 9 Old 10-08-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUNC83 View Post
I would be plugging in a HTPC, receiver, PS4, Direct TV box, projector. So UPS have power conditioners in them even when not working on battery? I have an issue with some power fluctuations at my home it seems, with occasional power loss. I would like to smooth out the power so my video/audio quality doesn't fluctuate.

Admittedly I don't know much about this topic.
i have a previous version of this: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX60036

i believe it's features are pretty standard of all UPS's, but i'm only familiar with these personally.

if you want 'the best' then you'd probably step up to the 'pure sine wave' version
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32745

i haven't had any issues with the cheaper 'simulated sine wave' models, but they are supposedly a little harder on sensitive electronics

both versions come in a variety of sizes. the simulated sine wave versions have display-less versions that cost a little less as well. speaking of, don't pay attention to the prices in the links, i'm canadian, so used canadian links. you can probably get these for half that price is you shop around locally. i bought both of mine on sale, for about 100bux(70 off)

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page