AVS Forum banner

Thoughts on current state of "true" 4k projectors under $3k?

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Verge2 
#1 ·
I'm still running an Epson 8350 and have had the upgrade itch for some time. My original wish list was a laser 4k projector but that seems much further out than I thought. I'm looking to upgrade within the next 6 to 12 months and with all the Optoma hoopla vs the Epson 4k e-shift projectors near that price point I'm wondering what you guys/gals think about the near future for lower priced TRUE 4k projectors.

The Optoma UHD60 and UHD65 look really interesting but they seem to lack in black levels and also don't have horizontal lens shift which I love on my current Epson. I've basically written the Epson 5040UB off since it does shifting to achieve 4k and at this point it seems like wasted money to buy something that isn't really 4k.

Are there any projectors that are known to be coming out soon that may fit my bill? I think my top end price is around $3k so even the new lovely Sony 4k HDR one at $5k is out.

#3 ·
The Optoma UHD60 and UHD65 look really interesting but they seem to lack in black levels and also don't have horizontal lens shift which I love on my current Epson.

Are there any projectors that are known to be coming out soon that may fit my bill? I think my top end price is around $3k so even the new lovely Sony 4k HDR one at $5k is out.
The Vivitek and Acer 4K projectors are showing better contrast, brightness, and black levels than the Optomas, though none have horizontal lens shift. The right mount can compensate for the lack of horizontal lens shift easy enough. Look at the threads for the M550 and H2288. The first owners' reports look pretty good. The 8350 black levels and contrast are nothing special, and all these 4K DLP projectors would be an improvement in contrast based on reviews I've read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.