Closed Thread

post #91 of 103 Old 01-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
cpc,
The VB does go away on the DVI input at the cost of picture quality. The limited resolution available thru DVI make the picture look washed out and soft......to these eyes!! :) The best of all worlds would be if the projector would accept 960x540 thru DVI.....but, it won't. The best I have been able to get VGA is three wide VB's with powerstip at 960x532.

Rick

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 Old 01-09-2004, 01:35 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Ok. My intention is to use an iScan Pro at 480p and let the L300 scale it. Hopefully that will be ok.
post #93 of 103 Old 01-09-2004, 01:37 PM

I had VB on all inputs of my L300U, and have it on my AE500U to about the same degree.
post #94 of 103 Old 01-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

patja,

I had a chance to look at the 500 manual and was wondering if you tried the Dot/Phase adjustment that I don't have on the 300 menu?

cpc,
Let us know how the 480P works out.

Rick

Rick
post #95 of 103 Old 01-09-2004, 03:12 PM

There is no dot phase adjustment on DVI, which is where I've focused my efforts so far. the HD-AUX DVI-D output still seems unable to produce a good signal for the panasonic, which was actually one of my higher hopes from the upgrade -- the HD-AUX was never usable with DVI-D with the L300U, and unfortunately even with the plethora of DVI resolutions the 500 supports, including 720p which you would think would be pretty standard, it still isn't working any better. anyways, I digress...

I will certainly try the dot clock adjustments this weekend on VGA.
post #96 of 103 Old 01-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

patja,

Thanks for the reply!

It will be interesting to see if you can reduce the VB thru the VGA input. Also, I can get the 300 to display 768/720 thru the DVI input but, as I mentioned before.....the picture quality because of the 300 scaling is not that great.

Rick

Rick
post #97 of 103 Old 01-09-2004, 04:35 PM

I could always get 1280x768 over DVI on my 300U from my Radeon to work perfectly, but it was impossible to get it to fill the whole screen from my Holo3dgraph-II HD-AUX's DVI-D output. Now the same is true of 720p with the 500. Just one of the frustrations with the continuing HD-AUX "Beta" program that's been going on since July.
post #98 of 103 Old 01-09-2004, 05:07 PM

My 300U has about 120 hours now. The DVD movie is great but not mind blowing.

Recently I installed HD cable box from my cable company. After I saw the HD sport channel on this projector, I realized the full potential of this projector. This projector is able to produce vivid color and almost in 3D when feeded with HD signal using component.

Now, I decided to keep this unit and look for a better DVD player (instead of a better projector). There is no true HD DVD player in the market, but several vendors are working on it now. The 2nd generation upconvert DVD players are on the way but still not HD quality.

Recently, Microsoft created the T2 Extreme Edition DVD movie which come with an additional MW9 format DVD and it is a HD format. But it can only played on PC for now. No DVD player with this support.

Sony/IBM and others are working on blue laser to store HD material on blue laser disc. I like this format than DVD format since it is for both data and movie with high capacity. It is also recordable.
http://www.blu-ray.com/recorders/

China also released the EVD disc for HD material. No license fee and codec is free too. I think it uses the same DVD disc media, so it is "copy"able !
http://www.shinco.com/product/viewpr...299a39efe01dab
http://www.on2.com/vp6.php3

However, all of these require you to buy a new player. I will wait 6 months to find out who win the war.

Soon, the Bravo D3 will be available which support MW9 format.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=346597

You could buy a newer projector for 10% better of the picture, but a new HD DVD player will make 100% to 200% difference.

Happy new year to all :-)
post #99 of 103 Old 01-09-2004, 05:11 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Weird. I can't imagine the L300 scaling 480p would look bad if your de-interlacing is very good. The L300 should scale as good or better than the Z1 both using the VGA port, correct?
post #100 of 103 Old 01-10-2004, 05:59 PM

Been very happy with my AE300 so far (1596 hours and counting), but have a few quibbles.

Dust globs. Had 'em. Lots of 'em. Had to open up the entire PJ and used an air compressor to get them out. Took me a few tries before I had them all. They really annoyed me, especially when watching 4:3 material. I was constantly looking at the green blobs in the black bars. Long live wide-screen!

HTPC woes. Each and every reinstall of my operating system I have to fight with drivers, powerstrip settings and what not to get my custom resolutions to work. Even then, after I get my desired 1280*720, I have to keep tweaking, because the pj sometimes flicks from wide720 to XGA mode for a split second for no apparent reason. Fooling around with the powerstrip settings takes care of this, but it takes me a while to get it right, because the mode-change sometimes only happens once every couple of hours. Why this happens, I don't know. I've saved my powerstrip settings, but have to fiddle each and every time. (I know, I shouldn't have to reinstall my PC so often, but I live with this machine 24/7. It's used for gaming, movies, television, surfing, mailing, testing beta soft, tweaking and general messing around.) I have an ATI 9800 dual head, with my normal 22" Iiyama CRT on the VGA port and the AE300 on the DVI port with the VGA converter, so it is indeed using VGA. (I can tell because I can't get 1280*720 to work with DVI.) I need new drivers for my games, so every time ATI decides to drop one on us, I have to go through this hell.

(Question for RickS: What resolutions do you use? How do you get the 1920*1080i, the advertised AA resolution, to work properly? We have the same setup, would you be willing to mail me/tell me just what resolutions, settings and timings you're using?)

Admitted, this doesn't really say anything about the L300, but to me it's a big part of my life with this PJ. What does concern the L300, is the fact that we can't get a real 1:1 mapping when using HTPC.

Flickering. Not very apparent when watching a movie, but when I have the desktop on the PJ it bothers me to no end. Now that I know it's there, I see it on every source I use when it starts to flicker. Component for GameCube and Xbox as well as VGA with the HTPC. It flickers in 50Hz as well as 60Hz. It doesn't flicker all the time, but every so often it does. I thought at first it was the lamp, but a friend of mine with the same AE300 has the same problem. I'm considering sending it back to Panasonic before the warranty runs out.

Other than that, it's been a wonderful 9 months. It has given me a reason to revisit some of my DVDs that otherwise would just have collected dust.

Friends and family are impressed everytime they see it in action. At first they thought I was mad, collecting DVDs at the rate I do. Now, after seeing them on the big screen, the finally understand ;)

I can't really compare this pj to any others, considering this is my first. In the beginning I used a sheet, then I upgraded to a Projecta screen. I couldn't be happier.
post #101 of 103 Old 01-11-2004, 03:18 AM

Hi all,

I bought my ae300 June last year and I'm very happy with the pic it delivers. This is my first proj., so I'm kind noob on this area.

I bought a grey screen to my ae300 after recommendations from others on www.avforum.no that had tried both white and grey screens to the ae300. Have not seen the difference myself, but they say all colors get a little darker. But not as much as the blackness gets better and makes the picture better.

Have now just bought me the aiva calibration dvd to get even better pic :)

I see no screendooreffect, that can be because i don't have a very big screen. I have a 77" Euroscreen Greyline 16:9 and the viewing distance is 4 meters (157.5")

And now i have signed up here to get more tips from u guys on the ae300 and its possibilities :)

Roger
post #102 of 103 Old 01-11-2004, 06:15 AM

77" from 4m should look awesome. I'm naturally sceptical towards grey screens, especially after Tryg's thorough screen review that revealed how some shadow detail is lost. But your setup should produce a pretty bright image on your "tiny" :) 77" screen anyway.

Myself, I used a 60" screen, now using a ~85" tripod screen, both matte white. When starting to watch a movie, the picture appears a little dim, but it gets better after a few minutes. I don't think I would want a grey screen with a larger image than my current one. After calibrating with AVIA, the image looked a bit dimmer than out-of-the-box settings too.
post #103 of 103 Old 01-13-2004, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Flickering. Not very apparent when watching a movie, but when I have the desktop on the PJ it bothers me to no end. Now that I know it's there, I see it on every source I use when it starts to flicker. Component for GameCube and Xbox as well as VGA with the HTPC. It flickers in 50Hz as well as 60Hz. It doesn't flicker all the time, but every so often it does. I thought at first it was the lamp, but a friend of mine with the same AE300 has the same problem. I'm considering sending it back to Panasonic before the warranty runs out.
I have exactly the same problem but with AE500. And flickering only occurs when the lamp is in the low mode. Tried both DVI and VGA. What could cause this? Any solutions?
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page