Optoma H30 review & screenshots - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 8029 Old 01-24-2004, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 15" offset on the H30 is a bit of a concern to me. I've only got about 7'2" to work with for my ceiling, and was hoping to have the top edge of my screen about 12-14" from the ceiling.

Even if I was able to mount the H30 flush with the ceiling, I'd probably need quite a bit of tilt and keystone correction to pull that off.

Is 15" offset above average?

-cjs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 8029 Old 01-24-2004, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Mike, that ceiling mount you found, is it pretty flush?

Dunno yet. Haven't seen a picture of it and the place I ordered it from had 2 in stock when I ordered it Thursday night and on Friday their stock said zero and I still don't have a shipping confirmation. Hopefully I got one of the 2. I am going to call them Monday to find out.

This projector really is superb for the money. Heck, its superb if it cost even more but don't tell Optoma that. I don't like seeing screen door and you don't see it on this projector from 1.75x screen width back..and thats with a sharp focus also. The colors and contrast are fantastic. I will be trying Tom's settings tomorrow to see how I like those but I am very happy I bought this projector!!!!

Thanks,
Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #183 of 8029 Old 01-24-2004, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, well. I finally got my H30 up where my DT-200 is, and the H30 clearly has a better scaler and greater ability to sync with the various resolutions that my HTPC throws at it during boot-up. However, the geometry just doesn't work in my space. Looks like the H30 (with an hour of use) is off to be sold...

Later,
Bill
post #184 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 06:37 AM

Bill,

Is it the large offset that's causing the geometry problems?

It sounds like this projector may not work for a lot of people due to the large offset. If that's the case it's quite a shame, I'd buy this projector in a flash if I knew it would work well in my room.

-cjs
post #185 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Collins -
The offset should not be that big of a deal for folks with more mounting options than I have. For me, I need it to fit on a shelf that is behind our couch. The shelf is about 4.5' feet off the ground, and we have 9' ceilings. Basically, the lens shift of the DT-200 is really useful in making this work. When I placed my order, back in November, I was told by Optoma that the offset is 1 to 2 percent. My guess is that it is towards the high side of that range.

Later,
Bill
post #186 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Here are the numbers for my set up.

Ceiling height 7.9'
Center PJ lens from ceiling 5"
92"X52" screen start of video area is 22" down from the ceiling.
Screen bottom 17" up from the floor.

The projector had to be tilted up a little also.

Bill 4.5' up is a high spot for most projectors. Couldn't you use the keystone until the firmware is available. The only reason the offsets so wide is the fact that the viewing area is at the far end of the chip. Once the projectors switched to 4.3, well at least I would think the 16.9 image will be centered and should knock 8 or 10 inches off the offset.

Hey Bill, I didn't know you got one of these. When did you get it? How about the picture quality?

So far it seems Mike and me are seeing mirror images of this projector and both of us have had some great projectors.

High points are still
SD
picture quality/colors
contrast
blacks
menu's
remote
easy masking

If i missed anything lmk,

Oh yeah, cheap as hell.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #187 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

"I don't like seeing screen door and you don't see it on this projector from 1.75x screen width back..and thats with a sharp focus also."

Mike, that's the reason I took a chance and bought this projector. The Sharp DT-200 was great but had to be defocused because of the darker lines around each pixel, plus the lines looked wider also. I knew exactly what I was looking for from seeing this lighter grid on my old Seleco HT200. Even better is the projector does a better job at this than the Seleco did. Sometimes you roll the dice and you win!

You're probably already seen this but sometimes you put a well filmed dvd and it's pure eye candy. Unbelievable really

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #188 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 12:14 PM

Liked: 11
I think the firmware update will help those who are having problems getting the machine to work in their space. Like guitarman said, right now its using the bottom of the chip so the image is quite a bit lower then it should be once the full panel is enabled. Guitarman your words are making it harder for me to wait till i recieve mine =) I will definatly try your settings once i do. I guess ill have to pick up fith element (the movie just didnt do it for me) to really test the settings, but im really hoping the projector will shine on darker movies.
post #189 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by guitarman
Good news except you'll be wishing the weekend to be over with so you could get the toy.

Is it Monday yet?

I thought the screen shots posted above of the three projectors did display the advantage the other projectors had in resolving fine detail, but the colors on the H30 looked very natural and well saturated.

Really looking forward to checking this puppy out, although it won't be until next weekend when I really have time to put it through its paces.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #190 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bill 4.5' up is a high spot for most projectors. Couldn't you use the keystone until the firmware is available. The only reason the offsets so wide is the fact that the viewing area is at the far end of the chip. Once the projectors switched to 4.3, well at least I would think the 16.9 image will be centered and should knock 8 or 10 inches off the offset.

Hey Bill, I didn't know you got one of these. When did you get it? How about the picture quality?

Tom - I ordered back in November, but it did not arrive until a couple of days after you got yours (and my travel schedule has been onerous lately - 5400 miles last week...). I got the DT-200 to have my own mini-shootout (and because it was so cheap), but I'm finding the DT-200's lens shift to fit what I need. After my debacle with CRT FP (I would really love to have been able to convince the wife to let me keep the 6PG+ with perfect tubes), the digital needs to be a "leave no mark" experience for the house (hence the ONE place I can mount it...).

My limited experience with the H30 so far: much better ability to lock onto varying resolutions than the DT-200, much less prone to ghosting (I'm feeding my DT-200 with analog until I can get a new cable that doesn't sparkle), but then there's the offset.

I agree that for 16:9 material, the offset will change with the new firmware, but I'm having issues with the top of the projected image, rather than the bottom. The top of the image is on the ceiling, and I could tilt it downwards and use keystone correction to make it square. However, since the DT-200 works in that location, I don't feel that the H30 offers enough other advantages to be worth selling the DT-200.

Later,
Bill
post #191 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by velvetpoet
I think the firmware update will help those who are having problems getting the machine to work in their space. Like guitarman said, right now its using the bottom of the chip so the image is quite a bit lower then it should be once the full panel is enabled.

Tom, is that actually the case? I figured you'd've quoted the offset for the full 800x600 panel.

'T'would be nice if the new firmware allowed the user to shift the 16:9 area.

~ Kiran
post #192 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No that offset measurement is for a 16.9 setup, the projector doing it's bottom of the chip masking thing.

Ok I did some testing today with making the projector act like a 4.3 projector. I ran S-video into a viewsonic which upconverts it to VGA. My Sony STB will act correctly and display basic direct tv in full 4.3 800X600. Using a DVD player with this setup up I could play non-anamorphic DVD's centered within the full 4.3. But here's the twist, if you play a 16.9 enhanced movie with the dvd player set to 16.9 the image will still be down at the botom of the chip. I changed the dvd player to 4.3 letterbox and it would play the movie up in the center reducing that offset.

S-video looks very good due to the scaler. More testing -
S-video through the viewsonic will not pick up the 2.3 pulldown.
S-video straight to the projector will pick up the progressive scan
Component video connect with the player set to interlaced ofcourse picks up 2.3 so with my Sony STB's component outs basic film 2.3 will be detected.

Interesting how no 2.3 pulldown with s-video being upconverted.

Guess that's all the testing for now. At least now if I want to watch Star Wars LD or non=anamorphic dvd's I could view them in full screen. But without progressive scan. I talk to Wing the tech at Optoma and tell him my findings to see what he can make the firmware do and iron out any glitches.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #193 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 03:09 PM

Gutiarman- now that you have seen widescreen being played at 4:3, how well does the chip masking work? do you notice an increase in brightness compared to using the full panel? or would you if you could just go for 4:3 all the time and let the image spill the top and bottom of the screen for widescreen movies.
post #194 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I didn't notice a difference in brightness. It's all a matter of which screen style you would prefer. Having the masked chip did have the disadvantage of not playing non-anamorphic's correctly, at least I could get around it by using the viewsonic if I needed. As far as the spill using a 4.3 screen. I'm use to that setup also, you just make the black bars black/mirrors off.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #195 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 03:54 PM

Quote:

No that offset measurement is for a 16.9 setup, the projector doing it's bottom of the chip masking thing. Ok I did some testing today with making the projector act like a 4.3 projector.

So you actually were able to use the whole chip? Did you measure the offset?

~ Kiran
post #196 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You gain about 6inches so you could have the 16.9 screen higher of have the projector lower. This won't help Bill with his PJ at 4 1/2ft up.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #197 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 05:11 PM

So it sounds like when running in masked mode, the offset on the H30 is 135% or more. Given Tom's 52 inch screen and 5 inches from middle of the lens to ceiling:

52*.35=18.2 inches + 5 = 23.2 (slight tilt up to arrive at 22 as in Tom's setup).

That's probably a deal killer for me. I'm trying to get at least a 48" high screen, and based on my 7.2" ceilings if I can get my mount as high as Tom's:

48*.35=16.8 + 5 = 21.8

That would put my screen at 16" off the floor, 48" high and 22" from the ceiling. Hmm.... time to go down to the basement and break out the measuring tape :-)

I've emailed Optoma and asked them to confirm the spec on the offset. I really wish manufacturers would state this in their manuals or spec sheets - it's essential info for making a purchase decision!

-cjs
post #198 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here are some new numbers for using cinema modes. These are looking a little better the my first attempt. You would most likely get similar numbers if you use Avia.

Picture
Mode Cinema
Contrast 32
Brightness minus 34
Color 37
Tint 1
Sharp 28
Gamma 1

White Peaking 6
Color temp 2
Image moe Film
Advance adjustments leave at zero

Denon 1600 player

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #199 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom, I don't recall if you mentioned this previously, but are you outputting 480i or 480p with your Denon 1600. Whichever you're using, have you tried both?

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #200 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 05:56 PM

Guitarman - Are you going to post any new pictures with your new settings? Maybe that one scene you talked about from the 2 towers where you said you can see all the detail on the wall now
post #201 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I run the Denon in progressive just because the Farouja chip is there and I paid up to get it. But I just ran the JVC in interlaced and the picture is sellar also, not only is the video great but the projectors deinterlacer is doing such a super job that you can't tell much of a difference.

These are just proper Avia settings for the different video modes, most anybody would get the numbers correct with Avia also. But if ther's users out there that don't have the calibration disc, these may help.
That cavern shot most likely wouldn't work for a screen shot but I'll take a look.

Hey I'm watching Stars Wars One Laser Disc right now in the correct full widescreen image. The viewsonic scales it perfectly at 800X600. The picture looks great.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #202 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 07:26 PM

Hello everyone,

i am a new member.
i was originally looking at LCD/DLP rear projection TV's - Hitachi, Sony, Samsung. Then ruled out LCD because of the picture quality.

Then thought about projectors at the same price points and the larger image i would have.

This forum has been/is a fanatastic source of info !!!! thank you for your efforts.

Onto my question -

Hello guitarman, i really appreciated your efforts of providing screen shots of the H30. There is also another follow who compared the HT1000 and the H56 with screen shots provided.

The H30 and H56 screens shots i viewed looked fantastic ... however, when i veiwed an H56 at the dealer, the images i saw where no where near the WOW of the screen shots on this forum. The H56 was dull, lacked snap, dark - nothing that approaches the H30 screen shots veiwed here.

Is there something with the exposre of these screen shots that makes the images look better than the real thing? The difference between what i see at the dealer and what i view here is dramatic - to the point where the H56 is a waist of money. What's wrong?

I also saw the Sony HS20 - it was sharp and smooth - but an awful picture in every other measure

After seeing the H56 in person, i am back to looking at rear projection CRT or DLP tv's. The CRT tv's are still looking the best to me.

please let me know if i am missing something.

i was about to buy the H30, then remembered the H56 i saw and posted this reply/question.

thanks very much
post #203 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There's so many adjustments for tweakers in the menu's that I could see why any old shop may not be aces in setup.

The pictures I posted are a direct comparison to what is seen live. And I bet if I got my hands on the H56 it too would produce the same image, but with a way more crisp resolution.

It's really simple, if you have an eye and Avia, set your parameters in a dark room to start and you're pictures will be the best they can be.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #204 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 09:10 PM

Hi guitarman

thank you for your reply!
I am not able to preview an H30, but was reeeeeally impressed by your screen shots. -Then i remembered the H56 i saw and was afraid of major disappointemnt if i bought the H30 sight unseen.
thanks
post #205 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are some new numbers for using cinema modes. These are looking a little better the my first attempt. You would most likely get similar numbers if you use Avia.

Picture
Mode Cinema
Contrast 32
Brightness minus 34
Color 37
Tint 1
Sharp 28
Gamma 1

White Peaking 6
Color temp 2
Image moe Film

Denon 1600 player

Whew!! I am glad you said you used progressive on your Denon 1600. I have mine set to interlaced and I said there is no way he uses these settings. Here are mine using Interlaced setup with Avia:

Picture
Mode Cinema
Contrast 17
Brightness plus 12
Color 6
Sharp 17
Gamma 1

White Peaking 5
Color temp 2
Image mode Film

I will switch my Denon 1600 to Progressive and try your settings.

Thanks,
Mike

post #206 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh and did I mention that this projector is awesome!!

Mike

post #207 of 8029 Old 01-25-2004, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Good news I see you got your Denon 1600. You probably know but just in case. Darker/Lighter choice means Darker for component and Lighter for S-video.

I've had the projector going all day. Got the Down in Mexico going now. Very color saturated movie. Not natural but colorfull.

What do you have Avia or VE?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #208 of 8029 Old 01-26-2004, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I will ultimately be using a Panasonic RP82 (same video section as the Denon 1600) with the H30, but in the interim I'll be using a JVC S60. The S60 has a great picture as long as it stays in Film mode, but it's not so great when it drops into Video mode. I want to see if the H30's motion-adaptive deinterlacing will improve the S60's picture if I feed it 480i.

I assume a 480p input bypasses the deinterlacing in the H30, so using the RP82 with 480p output would be the way to go. The darker/lighter setting on the 1600 or RP82 changes the base black level from the NTSC standard of 7.5 IRE (lighter) to 0 IRE (darker). It's been said that the setting only affects the 480i output, not the 480p.

Where is that UPS truck anyway?

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #209 of 8029 Old 01-26-2004, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My projector is broken in now and looks better than day one. Reds are looking very nice. I hear colors/reds get better as the bulb reaches 100hrs. Mine is at 99hrs and counting.

Mike you should see better progressive scan by using the JVC interlaced Run all your torture tests and see.

Galaxy Quest DVD panning spaceship intro
Star Trek Insurrection opening scene panning roof tops

Anybody have any others?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #210 of 8029 Old 01-26-2004, 10:47 AM

Hi guys, I was directed here from the UK AVForums..

This thread makes for some interesting reading..Im hoping to see a UK spec H30 this weekend..according to my dealer, the units are undergoing some firmware mods before being released here in the UK, so maybe all the quirks you guys are having will be sorted on our models. This is on a (very) short list to become my first foray into PJ land.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page