long composite cables? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2004, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm at the cable running stage of my home theater construction, and I want to make sure I'm covered with respect to my cable selection. I've got an X1, so I was going to provide a VGA and an S-Video run, but I figured I might as well run a rca composite video cable as well (just in case). One thing I noticed however is that there are very few manufacturer's that produce rca video cables longer than 12'. Monster was the only manufacturer that I could find (except for one 50' cable made at pccables). All I need is a 25' version. Does anybody know of a good source for one of these? I don't want to pay a lot since it will probably see little use. The 50' at pccables isn't a bad price, but I want to limit the transmission path to reduce degradation. I could just build one myself using quad shielded RG-6 and a couple of rca connectors. Would this be the best option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2004, 06:59 AM

Quote:
. I could just build one myself using quad shielded RG-6 and a couple of rca connectors. Would this be the best option?
Yes!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Simple solution ... run a 25' Component cable.
If you do end up displaying something composite ... just use one lead.
In the long run, the likelyhood that you would be using component somewhere down the line is a heck of alot better than composite.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget a DVI cable while you are there. I'd do that instead of composite. Odds are that you will need probably need a video switchbox at some point and all of them convert composite up to S-Video.

- JP in TOronto
Old 02-09-2004, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
I think I might just do the component run. I doubt I'll do the DVI since I don't plan on being in this house more than a couple more years. It might be wasted on the next occupant.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daberk
Thanks guys,
I think I might just do the component run. I doubt I'll do the DVI since I don't plan on being in this house more than a couple more years. It might be wasted on the next occupant.
Everything is DVI currently! :confused:

- JP in TOronto
Old 02-10-2004, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Everything is DVI currently!

But I have an X1, which doesn't have DVI. I only plan on living in the house another couple years, and I don't plan on getting a new projector in that time. I don't want to waste $80 on a long DVI cable to never use it. And knowing most people, the next homeowners probably wouldn't even use the room for a home theater. So it would add nothing to the resale value, and I would never get to use it! To prepare for it's eventual conversion to a normal rec room, I even ran a cable jack to the front screen wall so they can plug in their 27" "Home theater quality" Daewoo tv and their combo DVD/VCR player!! I must admit, I have cut a few corners in the design knowing I wouldn't be in the house forever (no fancy soffits).