Need Help Buying 1st Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-25-2004, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to get my 1st pj to put in my bonus room, which is 20'x20' w/ vaulted ceilings. The room has some ambient light w/ 2 windows & a ceiling fan light. Will be watching mostly movies, some TV, & Xbox. All I have in the way of HT is an old dolby Onkyo revcr, Infinti speaker, Kenwood sub, non progressive scan dvd, & old hi-fi VCR.(all work fine) Non have S-video or composite or any extra hook ups. If you had $8,000, what would you buy? Will be doing DIY screen for now. Also, is digital cable or satellite worth getting for a better picture while wathing TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-25-2004, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dep378
I am looking to get my 1st pj to put in my bonus room, which is 20'x20' w/ vaulted ceilings. The room has some ambient light w/ 2 windows & a ceiling fan light. Will be watching mostly movies, some TV, & Xbox. All I have in the way of HT is an old dolby Onkyo revcr, Infinti speaker, Kenwood sub, non progressive scan dvd, & old hi-fi VCR.(all work fine) Non have S-video or composite or any extra hook ups. If you had $8,000, what would you buy? Will be doing DIY screen for now. Also, is digital cable or satellite worth getting for a better picture while wathing TV?
If I had $8,000 to spend on HT gear, I wouldn't sink it all into a projector in your situation. For that kind of money you can get a very competent audio and video setup. Without knowing exactly what type of equipment you have, I'd look into getting a new AVR (or pre/pro + amps), new speakers, new DVD player, and finally a new projector & screen.

I'm not sure if you want to go all-out or not, but you might want to consider getting some good dedicated theater seats, installing lighting appropriate for theater use, looking into acoustic treatments, etc.

If you buy an $8,000 projector/screen combo, you're going to probably have average (at best) audio with great video. I think a balanced approach is better. :)
post #3 of 4 Old 02-25-2004, 08:06 AM

If I had 8k, I'd buy a new Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R...

If you really want to spend it allm spend:

2-3K on the projector (Sanyo Z2, Sony HS20, NEC LT260K, or spend a little more for the Infocus 5700 and cut some $ on the others)
700-1000 on receiver (I like yamaha, but other board members will know more)
300-1000 on dvd player (you could buy one of the DVI players and save some money, or buy a nice denon for a component player)
2-3k on speakers and wires

That should do it.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-2004, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
That is in the ballpark of what I spent last spring - a Sony HS10 PJ, Denon 3803 receiver, Ascend 5.1 speakers, cabling, DIY screen and an HTPC for DVDs and automation. Fits right in with the numbers ShagnWagon gave, too. ;)
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page