My review of the panasonic PT-L500U from owning the PT-L300u, HTPC perspective. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2004, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Before I give my mini review of the 500u I would like to start with my setup. I use a HTPC with a Radeon 9800pro. I used an Audio Authority transcoder VGA to Component. The component cable is Blue Jeans Belden 7710A 40 feet long. Lastly I use a 16:9 digital gray Goo screen 92†diagonal.

First off, I would like to say I never really liked the PT-L300U for many reasons. The non 1:1 pixel mapping, black level, Computer text was bad, scan lines and visible pixel structure on sharp focus, and the typical LCD green push.

To combat the black level on the 300u I used a FLD filter and played around with a ND filter. FLD filer worked great for black level and green push but it really darkened the picture and put a magenta hue over white text.

One year later the PT-L500U comes out so I thought I would try it solely on the hope of 1:1 pixel mapping. So begins my review:

I fired up the 500u just after dark and did the flicker tweak right off the bat. Turned on the HTPC and I was floored. The desktop at 1280X720 was razor sharp and very bright. I did not notice any FPN or vertical banding. The 500u was noticeably brighter than the 300u. Black level on the 500u is a lot better but not like CRT but we all knew that. Fan noise was the same on both units. I played around with the AI feature and found that it did make difference on certain DVDs. However, I cannot stand the fan noise on high lamp mode so I just left the 500u on low lamp mode. The colors are better on the 500u, much more natural. I did lower the green contrast about -3 to help with green push on the 500u. The ability to change each color on the 500u is a great feature. DVDs look better on the 500u compared to the 300u in terms of PQ. I did not need the FLD filter on the 500u because the black level is satisfactory for me now. In fact, I went to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind after my first demo and noted that black levels at the cinema were not that much better than the 500u (my opinion).

So far the 500u out paces the 300u in ever category by a good margin in my book. One thing that always bugged me about the 300u was background resolution. You could tell the 300u did not have enough resolution for images that were in the distant background. What I mean by this is that a mans head in the background would only have four pixels making it up making it look blocky. The 500u looks very smooth from the foreground to the background on DVD movies.

HD movies look much better on the 500u. Whenever text shows up on the screen it’s razor sharp unlike the block text that you would see with the 300u. Please note the only HD content that I have is the Microsoft wm9 HD trailer stuff.

Now comes the questions that many ask about up grading to the 500u from the 300u.

Yes, normal DVD movies do look better on the 500u. Enough so I think it is worth upgrading for that reason.
If you have a HTPC then it is a no brainer, 500u kicks the 300u butt in every category.

Everything I hated about the 300u was fixed with the 500u in my book. Making the 500u a great upgrade. The 500u right off the bat wowed me. I never was never wowed by the 300u. Now I can sharply focus the picture without worring about pixel structure and scan line with the 500u.

After installing a 30ft DVI cable on the 500u I was pleased even more with this unit. DVI is the way to go, really clean picture. Now that the picture is so clean and bright now I can see flaws in my goo screen like dirt so I am going to upgrade to a Firehawk soon.

Now I am confident to say the 500u was a great upgraded so now I’m selling my 300u, component cable, and transcoder on eBay.

Check out this link for the PT-L300u, Audio authority, and Blue Jeans Auction http://www.msu.edu/~hagenmi1/1.htm

Well I’m off to watch a movie on my 500u… :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2004, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wish I could afford one of those because it is an amazing machine. I bought a Dell 2200mp and I think it compares in many ways as far as DVD goes, but holy s**t the Panny 500 is the best HDTV I have ever seen. So clean and perfect. It sells here in Canada for about 3 times the price of my Dell though, so I'll have to wait until I make more cash......your a lucky guy!

Friends don't let friends buy Plasma.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:11 AM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Monkey,

Sounds good. You really like your 500.

Questions.

You warmed up the 500 before doing the flicker tweak?
In your opinion how does the peak-a-boo scanline and vertical banding compare to your 300?

When you said VGA to component transcoder, why did you do that? Most people go from HTPC via VGA because its better than component. I see you eventually went to DVI and that makes sense, but I don't understand the VGA to component bit.

Enjoy your Projector :)

Old 04-03-2004, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I let it warm up for about an hour.

The peak a boo scan line thing was heavy with the 300u. With my 300u the scan line thing went away after an hour into the movie or 3 beers :) With the 500u it's been minimized greatly, almost 100%. If I'm looking hard for it I can see it at times. If you let your eyes relax and just watch the movie it doesn't appear to me. My girl friend claimed she never saw it on the 300u!?!? However, as far as VB goes on the 300u I never noticed any at all. This maybe the Goo screen hiding it if it's there. Once again I don't see any VB on my 500u that's a problem. There is a micro texture that can be seen if one really looks hard but I wouldn't call it VB. In fact when I went to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind at the cinema the screen was so large and curved it had about 15 seams that went up the screen that was 1000X more annoying than any VB I have ever seen in peoples pictures on VB. No one at the cinema were complaining :) This was at a new theater in East Lansing MI, NCG cinema. We also have a THX cinema but I feel the NCG screen I'm referring to has better picture and sound so you know I'm not talking about some crappy theater.

The reason I used a transcoder was for this reason. A Panasonic engineer said that the component input was the path on the 300u to attain the highest PQ. Something to do with by passing the internal scaling with certain HTPC resolution settings. I was also hoping for 1:1 pixel mapping with that route since everyone was failing with the VGA input. It was worth a try.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:51 AM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Ok, I understand your attempt at transcoding but in the end, was that better than VGA straight in? I thought the component has to be scaled too. Anyhow...looks like your 500 is performing well for you.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Was component better than VGA.. Good question. I never did an A/B because I never had a VGA cable long enough to compare. Also another reason from my murky memory why I did this was in the manual the 1920X1080 was listed as (A) quality in VGA and (AA) in component. It was something like that or some other resolution near that.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Another point I want to raise is expectations. When I ordered the 300u I was expecting something it wasn't and was really let down when it came. With my expectations readjusted the 500u was much closer to what I expected given that I now understand the limitations on LCD technology. Knowing how to tune the new PJ is a big help.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It states in the manual that 1920x1080i is 'AA' quality with either PC or component input.

JVC HD 250
Benq 1070
B&W
Onkyo
Hsu Research
Old 04-03-2004, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe it was the 1280X720 like I said it was something like that. If not my bad, but there was something like that. We are talking about the 300u.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Which DVI cable are you using? TIA
Old 04-03-2004, 05:30 PM

im interested to know, how DVD with a 720 x 576 pixel resolution, can have more information on a bigger res. display ?

u can cut up the pixels into smaller ones, and have more of them, but WHERE does the extra information come from, as there isnt any extra info. ?

also, I have tested the 500 back to back with a 200, and the black level on both is IDENITICAL.

the 500 has much better contrast, and more shadow detail, and is better all round apart from VB, but the black level is no lower, which suggests to me, that current lcd tech, is limited to a certain black level.

i agree, the 500 is a great pj, the best Ive seen, but the vb is a minor problem, but for me, I would not replace this with any other in its price range....
Old 04-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I wonder how large those margins would have been if you were comparing a brand new 300 to a brand new 500.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:17 PM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

So bob you're sticking with the 500?
Old 04-03-2004, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Danny
I'm using 30' DVI-D from ram http://www.ramelectronics.net

Bob:
The DVDs I watch are 720x480 :) I don't feel like going into a major tech debate. I will just say that I call it as I see it :) The 500u delivers a smoother picture compared to the 300u in DVD and HD IMO.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks MonkeyMan
Old 04-04-2004, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpc
So bob you're sticking with the 500?

Yep - apart from the VB issues, the picture is outstanding in every department.

Out of all the LCD PJs Ive seen, only the ae200 had extremely little VB, the rest had all noticeable VB.

Its a limitation of LCD tech, but for the price, and the features of the Pana., its amazing, good enough to keep me happy for a good few years now, as I dont want to upgrade until something greatly better is available......

cheers

bob.

ps: I live in UK, and here DVDs are 720 x 576 !!!
Old 04-04-2004, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Glad to hear you are pleased with your upgrade. I, myself have been tempted to upgrade as well but am scared of all the VB talk going on. I would love that extra resolution and 1:1 for gaming.

JVC HD 250
Benq 1070
B&W
Onkyo
Hsu Research
Old 04-04-2004, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Bob:
I know, just my dry humor

Scotty144
You would notice a huge improvment in the HD gaming department.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

bobvallos,
Just remember that I use a HTPC to scale the DVD picture up to 720p or 1080i. Most stand alone DVD players only display 480i or p. Many people argue whether scaling the DVD image up to 720 or 1080 has an effect on PQ. I'm one of those people who think it does. That's why I like my HTPC so much. Now that I'm using a PJ that has a native 1280X720 res. It makes sinse that the upscaled picture should yield some PQ differences. It could just be the 1:1 pixel mapping, I'm not sure. I just know that DVDs on my HTPC look sharper and smoother than my 300u did on my HTPC.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

I was afraid you might say that....

JVC HD 250
Benq 1070
B&W
Onkyo
Hsu Research
Old 04-05-2004, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought I would like to add this detail. I went over to a friends house this past weekend. He had bought a really expensive RPTV Sony HDTV 65". It was the most expensive HDTV at the local best buy. So we sat down and watched a bunch of movies in HD, he has Comcast HD. Without a doubt his TV has better black levels, but HD material didn't look that hot. I would go out on a limb and say a DVD (a good one like LOTR or AOTC) looked better on my 500u with my HTPC running FFDshow perfectly tuned by a large margin. Now the WM9 HD stuff on the Microsoft site on the 500u simply destroys HD on my friends setup. The 500u is way more sharp. Even my girlfriend commented that my 500u looked a lot better. I'll take my low black level and keep the extra 30" I have over him. Not to mention my PJ cost a third of his HDTV.

To make matters worse I saw the rainbow effect on his Sony while watching Minority Report. Once I figured out how to do it I couldn't stop seeing them. Drove me nuts. To make matters worse I was rather hung over from his party the night before (I wonder if that had anything to do with it because I didn't see rainbows the night before). I showed my friend his girlfriend and my girlfriend how to see the rainbow effect. It took them a long time, like watching a person trying to see those 3D art things. After awhile everyone was able to see a rainbow. My friend said he had never seen them before nor did he see them again after he quit trying. I found that really strange being that I couldn't stop seeing them. If I just watched one spot on the screen I was fine but if I looked around the screen following the action, it was attack of the rainbows. Funny thing was that I didn't see them as much when we watched another movie if not at all. Glad I never bought one of those cheap DLP PJ.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:55 AM

This is all really good news to me. Before reading your review I was worried that I would have to pay the extra $ for the Sony HS20 after reading all of the focus problems people were having with the Sanyo Z2. I really hope to do a lot of PC gaming on whichever projector I go with.

Could you comment a little more on how well the pj performs in this area? Also does anyone have any thoughts or first hand experience on how the Panasonic might compare to the Sony as far as computer usage goes?

Thanks for your review and any additional comments you may have.

jake
Old 04-05-2004, 10:09 AM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

I had the same experience. Saw a Pioneer Elite 65 or 67" HD RPTV and it wasn't even that great. The blacks were ok, but frankly, I prefered my AE100 to the HD RPTV. I notice the "rainbow" too. They aren't identical to the rainbows you see with DLP projectors, and they don't give me headaches. It wasn't annoying, but I found it somewhat amussing that they were there and kinda seemed like DLP rainbows. Either way, large TV's like that are of no interest to me. I'll stick to the 90" plus diagonal picture at lower cost :)

Incidentally I saw a Sharp XV 15000 over the weekend set up in a really nice theatre. It had ok blacks and seemed high resolution, but I still prefer my AE100 over it. I know it sounds crazy. Thats even without considering the annoying rainbows. The funny thing is, I walked into the room, saw the movie playing and immediately looked to see what projector was playing. Standing in front of the projector, but off to one side, I scanned the equipment rack and thats when I saw major rainbows. Ouch. I sat down and watched anyways. It wasn't too bad. It was sharp looking. There was no screen door and there didn't seem to be any pixels, but I could see some noise on the screen. It was saving private ryan. Also I still see dithering on DLP projectors sometimes and it freaks me out because I don't understand what I'm seeing. I'll be getting another Panny LCD projector for sure, and not an HD RPTV or DLP projector, unless they compare better in the future.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

tjweaver:
I'm not a huge gamer. I removed the heat sink fan from my 9800pro in place of a silent Zalman heat sink so I never wanted to stress the GPU in the 3d arena. However, I will say the 500u accepts more pc resolutions than the 300u. I'll give the Return To Castle Wolfenstein a try tonight and let you know. I know it will look great based the sharpness of the text on the desktop compared to the 300u. I use my PJ primarily as a weekend movie theater. I like to keep my lamp hours down. Thus why I only logged 360 hours in one year on my 300u.

I had a hard time with PC games on the 300u. The only PC resolution that PJ would like to run was 800x600 and that looked like poop.

Unfortunately I don't own an XBox or Game Cube. I have enough distractions in my life already.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 AM

Monkey_Man,

Thanks alot. I'll wait to hear what your results are. Yeah, I dont' want to run stuff in 800X600 res. Hopefully the Panny 500 will give you enough. I don't know how much of a difference the extra res of the HS20 would really buy me. Also, I don't have a consule so I'm more concerned w/ PC gaming.

Thanks again.

jake
Old 04-06-2004, 08:54 AM

About Panny 500: it's one of the top 2-3 best HDTV projectors this Spring. One could nitpick on its arguably (in)visible VBing, slightly weaker red down in the deep dark, etc., yet these are minor flaws compared against the competition (including Z2). I've tested quite a few PJs, LCDs, DILAs, 1 and 3-chip DLPs, ranging 1-6000 lumens, priced 3-40 K$. I was so impressed with the little Panasonic that I've bought it. Its major flaw after 6 weeks of use: when driven from a HTPC the Panny 500 is too revealing (of inferior video sources).

".. here DVDs are 720 x 576"

Indeed, the panny 500 is merciless about exposing the source, the good, the bad and the ugly. Most DVD transfers are mediocre or plain bad (including some that got good reviews); also obvious is the lack of resolution of NTSC DVDs - 20% less scan lines, visibly missed.
Mitch-
Old 04-07-2004, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mithchell_gusate
You are completely right.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:50 PM

I'm glad I found this thread, I've been dying to read about HTPC and panny 300 combination for a while now.

Hi Monkey_man,
Is it possible to share your full HTPC hardware/software specs and tweaks which produced the 'better than conventional player' pq? I've been interested in buying a HTPC for a while but don't know where to start with so much combinations/feedback on avsforums. Perhaps I'll just pass your specs to my vendor and build from there.

Quote:
First off, I would like to say I never really liked the PT-L300U for many reasons. The non 1:1 pixel mapping, black level, Computer text was bad, scan lines and visible pixel structure on sharp focus, and the typical LCD green push.
So, it is true nothing can be done to get rid of scanlines or peek-a-boo from the panny300.

Thanks in advance.

Clatto! Verata! Nnyaarrghahum(coughcough)!!
Old 04-28-2004, 07:51 AM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

I believe doing the flicker tweak AFTER the L300 has warmed up, and perhaps an ever so slight defocus may help. Perhaps Monkey_Man can comment.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll answer when I get home from work :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement