Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a story that illustrates what happens when you've spent months reading about projectors and waiting to buy:

My son had his 5th birthday party last weekend and one of the presents he received was a Fisher-Price Viewmaster Projector. This is a red and blue plastic toy that projects Viewmaster slide images using what appears to be a flashlight bulb. After he opened it, a big grin spread across my face because, of course..... I now can test my recently received screen samples! That's right, a 37 year old man getting excited about a Fisher-Price toy. After the party, I rush downstairs to the "Theater in Waiting", pop in 4 D cells, shut off the lights, and project my 1st image in "The Theater". Up go the screen samples, I take my position in the prime viewing seat, I turn a critical eye towards the wall, the kids start running around, and my wife stands there and puts on the "I Can't Believe I Married This Idiot" face.

The scary part is that I could actually judge the difference between the samples. Colors and brightness were obviously the best with the High Power (at least within its narrow cone). I fervently searched through the slides looking for darker images to test the grey screens. These did in fact darken the colors and the blacks. Matt white screens were almost indistinguishable from the wall.

My conclusion - if you are considering this projector, I would go with the high power. The boost in brightness really popped the image off the wall. The blacks on this PJ are already pretty good, so I would skip the high contrast screens. Also, the throw ratio on the PJ is extremely long, so be aware of that if you have a small room. Ceiling mounting may also be tough and I don't know how Fisher-Price customer service is in case you have a problem. The good news is that there was no sign of vertical banding or rainbows! :D

Seriously, my wait will soon be over. I'm waiting for the IF 4805 to be released. Then it will be a choice between that and a L500 or Z2. As a final note, my wife, of course, after the look of shock and disgust left her face, turns to me in the darkened theater and says "Will it have to be this dark for the real projector, can't we just get a big screen TV?". Ugh.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 09:18 AM

Haha, that's funny.

Don't worry, the WAF (wife acceptance factor) increases greatly once she watches her first movie with everything setup properly.

Before I bought my projector, I had a 56" HDTV. I explained to her that I wanted to sell the big screen, mount a projector on the ceiling, mount a screen on the wall and put 32†TV in the corner of the room (for normal TV viewing). She thought my idea was “stupidâ€. Well, once everything was setup properly (wires hidden, screen and projector mounted), we rented a movie she wanted to watch and invited some of her friends over. Her friends flipped out! They couldn’t believe how awesome my setup was. They suggested I should charge admission to watch it. Anyways, after the movie was over, I asked her what she thought of my “stupid†idea. She smiled and said “You were rightâ€. God how I love those words!!!
post #3 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can only hope my wife will have the same response. I think the more likely scenario is that I will hear this statement from her:

"I was downstairs with the kids while they played today, and I couldn't watch Dr Phil on the projector because the lights were on. Why didn't we just get a TV?"

Oh well, she'll just have to get over it. I told her I didn't spend all the time, effort, and money on finishing the basement just so she has a place to watch Oprah!
post #4 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Very entertaining Jeff- thanks for that on a Friday.

I bought my kids a little maglite flashlight thing at the Discovery Store that you put clear plastic disks over the lens that have opague drawings of space objects on them. Hhmmmm.... they don't play with it anymore- perhaps I could.... NAW... :) Have a good day!
post #5 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're welcome! Beats doing what I'm supposed to be doing at the office :)
post #6 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mods -- please move this thread to the msrp<$35 area.:)
post #7 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Can someone do a comparison on the Fisherprice model and the
maglite flashlight thing at the Discovery Store.
Also do either of these have DVI?
post #8 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 10:39 AM

So, who is getting more use out of this projector, you or your son?
post #9 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OregonLAN
Haha, that's funny.

Don't worry, the WAF (wife acceptance factor) increases greatly once she watches her first movie with everything setup properly.

Having her "watch a movie" won't be enough. It has to be something like "Dirty Dancing" or "Titanic" before she truly understands why we work so hard at this hobby. :)
post #10 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 11:18 AM

I'm with you on that little projector. I dug into the archives and pulled out all of my old viewmaster slides I had when I was young (Born in 1965) so we looked at 6 million dollar man, adam west batman, Disney stuff. My kids love it. It has a remote control for changing slides. My neighbors bought there kid one as well. It really got me off my ass to get my own. So far I've done the 14 day trial of the Infocus 4800 at CC. Now I'm debating a H30. BUt that projector is a must buy for the lilttle ones.
post #11 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, who is getting more use out of this projector, you or your son?
So far I'm the only one logging hours on the PJ. I'm afraid to let my son play with it because he may drop it and knock the projector out of alignment or smudge the optics. I expect to have a full ISF calibration next week, can't wait!

Here's how I know I need to get a PJ soon - the night of the party, after everyone went to bed, I took the Fisher-Price, some viewmaster reels, and a nice bottle of Cabernet down to the "theater". I spent about an hour watching slides and playing with different screen sizes trying to get a feel for the size I will ultimately use. I can only imagine what would have happened had my wife got up at 1AM, came downstairs, and saw me tweaking a 5 year old's toy, running around with a tape measure, and drinking wine. Yes, it has come to this.
post #12 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 12:04 PM

Ebay has tons of vintage software for the FP 1.0. Check it out. I found Kung FU the series on Viewmaster at my parents house. That looked sweet. It amuses me until Kill Bill comes out next week.

I hope the FP 2.0 has a 16x9 display. :)
post #13 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

:rolleyes: :cool:
post #14 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Jeff you still haven't told us the resolution on this thing. :D
post #15 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Jeff you still haven't told us the resolution on this thing
No screendoor, so resolution must be high! Unfortunately it's 4:3, but I heard that Fisher-Price has new firmware in development that will allow 16:9. I don't know if I'm going to send it back though - I would hate to be without it for a few weeks and be unable to see the travelogues of the Grand Canyon and the Taj Mahal.
post #16 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff- as your "enthusiasm" closely resembles mine- I had my wife read this thread. She said- "If the kids had a viewmaster projector- I'd swear you were JeffKB". And she is sitting here watching me type this :D

Cheers!
post #17 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

this is one funny thread. i think all our wives think we are wacked!

I know the stupid look too.
post #18 of 107 Old 04-09-2004, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

OK- so as most of us replying to this have yet to score a projector- tell me what you think of this:

I was thinking of starting a thread called "Priceless" where we could each share our wife/kids/friends/dogs/whatevers "wow" stories in that format the first time they actually see the thing in action after listening to our blather for months. Sound worthwhile or has it already been done?
post #19 of 107 Old 04-10-2004, 12:03 AM

I've had my first projector for a couple months now and all I have to say is this.
I'm sure there will be women that would be impressed by it, but I have had 3 different guys say they wanted to move in with me since I got it.
(On the bright side, only one of them uttered the words "life partner". :eek: )

Of the women that have seen it the comments have ranged from a look and maybe a raised eyebrow all the way up to, "that's pretty nice".

Not nearly as impressed as the guys....Sigh... Women.
post #20 of 107 Old 04-10-2004, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Makes you wonder if there is something seriously wrong with their brains, doesn't it?
post #21 of 107 Old 04-10-2004, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
I was thinking of starting a thread called "Priceless" where we could each share our wife/kids/friends/dogs/whatevers "wow" stories in that format the first time they actually see the thing in action after listening to our blather for months. Sound worthwhile or has it already been done?
That sounds like a good idea to me. It would be a fun read.
post #22 of 107 Old 04-10-2004, 03:37 AM

Hi Guys

I can certainly relate to the "Wife Acceptance Factor".
I've been visiting this forum for a coiple of month and had dropped "subtle" hint to my wife about selling the 40£ RPTV and buying a projector - woth very little response back.

Anyway, I had to make a quick decision last week when a new Optoma H30 came up on Ebay and after days of procrastination I told my wife that I wanted to buy it with 40 mins of the auction left (No pressure ;) ).
She reluctantly agreed - But with that "It's your money so buy it if you want to, but it if you want but I'll never speak to you again" tone.

Anyway, to my wife's delight I didn't win so I resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to make di with the RPTV for a few more months.
The seller of the original H30 then emailed me saying that a friend had just put another H30 up for sale. My initial reaction was "Hurray"....but this then turned to dred as I had to break it to my wife again - Dohh!.

To cut a long story short(er) I bought it :).
The prob is that I bought it during "that time of the month" if you know what I mean, and my life has been a living hell ever since.
I probably didn't help myself by putting the 40" TV on ebay without telling my wife - Had a buyer as well, but faced with a decision of a broken marriage or selling the TV I withdrew the sale with a couple of hours to spare.

Just to add the icing to the cake I went out and bought a horrible quality 6ft wide blackout blind - It really is horrible and cheap and makes a horrendous screeching when wound up or down and my wife has refused point blank to even watch a film on the H30.

My H30 is still in it's box next to me as I type. I'm hoping that my wife's hormones will be back to normal soon and I can then try to convince her that it's a good investment.

As you can see I don't like making things easy for myself ;)
post #23 of 107 Old 04-10-2004, 05:23 AM

Hehehehe...

My wife didn't understand why I wanted to get an FP. Her dad has a 56" RPTV and she was so impressed by it. She wanted to get one as soon as we moved into the new house.

I took her to a demo of the X1 and Z1. She was semi-impressed. (It didn't help that this was in a room of a business projector store.) Since bills came up, I had to push back on the projector.

Finally, we get our tax return. Since my wife was laid-off, we have a kid, I paid for my relocation and we bought our first house.. it was a nice chunk of money.

I just got my Z2 about 3 weeks ago, and bought the 106" Da-lite HCCV with a HTIB. I put on Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Ah.... you should have seen the smile on my wife's face.

She invited her friends over for a BBQ, and she HAD to show off the HT. (I personally didn't want to because the speakers are still on the floor, and the room is still stark white.) Well.. to say the least that everyone was beyond impressed. Kids watched Monsters INC and was yelling and screaming like it was there own personal theater.

All I have to say is... it is worth all the initial "man are you stupid" looks from the wife when in the end she will acknowledge that she was wrong, and you were right! :D

A little bit hipper than Crockett and Tubbs...
post #24 of 107 Old 04-10-2004, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

well I have one of those wives that gives me that time of month look and attitude when I want to purchase something nice. she does not hear me complaining about the monthly expense of hundreds and hundreds of dollars on cloths and shoes a month spent that she thinks I dont know about cause we have seperate accounts..... but thats ok!!!!! lol.

so what I do is give her back the same attitude that she is giving me(taste of own medicine works great) and then she comes around , feels bad and realizes how much she will enjoy it to. see, I think men try to hard to convince woman and make them understand they will enjoy it too and its a good purchase. do the opposite and they come around.

I think woman forget about how much money they spend on cloths and our once in a while purchases could never add up to it, trust me!
post #25 of 107 Old 04-10-2004, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not having any trouble in the funding arena, she spent over three grand on a dining room set 6 months ago. Were it not for that juicy little fact- this would be an almost impossible sell for me. She is very skeptical about the lights needing to be off or very low to watch TV. Oh well..... :)
post #26 of 107 Old 04-10-2004, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One good thing about a wife that doesn't work. They can only push so far.
post #27 of 107 Old 04-10-2004, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
We use our H30 as a giant boob tube. This is how you get your wife invovled. Nothing better than sitcoms at 120". Every night it's Friends, Seinfeld, then American Idol, OC, Survivor, and then the good stuff on Sunday, Soprano's

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #28 of 107 Old 04-10-2004, 04:13 PM

I have to say after reading countless threads here every day for months now , this is one of the best . Maybe because theres alot of agreement in this area.
post #29 of 107 Old 04-10-2004, 04:22 PM

You know, it amazes me everyday just how truly lucky I was when I got married. My wife has been totally in my corner in this, even when I was going to get a less expensive projector, my wife actually convinced me to get the one I really wanted in the first place... Heck she was even willing and suggestive that I go with CRT!!! thankfully some sanity still reigned here, and I went digital (yes worse image...but I retain some semblence of sanity.) She has totally been for building a HT. All I can say is that I must have a really nice guy in my past life to get this kind of karma....

Oh, one thing I need to know about the Fisher proj.... did anyone try it with a Silverstar? How did it compare to teh Hi Power. And have you considered putting the Easy bake oven next to your seat.... Dinner and a Movie...at your place....
post #30 of 107 Old 04-10-2004, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Jeff- as your "enthusiasm" closely resembles mine- I had my wife read this thread. She said- "If the kids had a viewmaster projector- I'd swear you were JeffKB". And she is sitting here watching me type this
gottahavapj - Glad to hear I'm not the only twisted one out there!
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page