*OFFICIAL* Infocus Screeplay 4805 thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2004, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to the specs. the 4805 is 13" long. Anyone have an idea of the minimum amount of additional space I need to allow for to run the cables from the back of the unit up into the ceiling? I know I should leave adequate space for ventilation but it looks like I'm going to run close on the throw range to get the image size that I want, so I want to maximize the distance to the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 08:50 PM

My guestimation would be minimum 6" in my humble opinion.:)
Old 06-15-2004, 08:50 PM

My guestimation would be minimum 6" in my humble opinion. If push came to shove a small computer case fan would solve any problem with standing heat.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

does anyone know where to download the 4805 user's guide in PDF format yet?

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
Old 06-16-2004, 01:22 AM

Well, you're all very lucky, just to know that the dealers either have them or will have them in a few days. I live in Brunei, and I'm dying to get my hands on one of these. I've been trying to find a dealer all over the place that can ship, and coming up with nothing. The two that I've found that seem to stock infocus gear don't know if or when they're getting any 4805. Infocus themselves are of even less help.

If anyone does know of a reliable distributor in asia, I'd really appreciate a number or website.

Thanks,

J.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chinch
does anyone know where to download the 4805 user's guide in PDF format yet?
http://www.lightwerks.com/pdfs/InFoc...enPlay4805.pdf
Old 06-16-2004, 08:09 AM

Sorry about that. I copied it from Google before actually downloading it. It did mention "user guide" in the synopsis, which led me astray.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

bump

Sean
"I do not like the cone of shame"
Boom Boom Room
Old 06-17-2004, 03:33 PM

Anyone familiar with the Benq PB2220? From the 2 mins I've spent looking, it seems to be a high-res (1024x768) DLP unit with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

I realize the MSRP is much higher than the 4805 ($2395usd) but I can get it locally for the same cost as the 4085.

How does it compare? Higher res, same spec'd contrast, 4:3 vs 16:9... for the price it sounds pretty good.

Any thoughts?

"You're really ugly, but there's nobody cute around." -Strongbad
Old 06-17-2004, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Sorry if somebody has already posted the answer to this, but does anybody know if the 4805 will do the internal stretching required to use an anamorphic lens like the Panamorph. The test of this is to display a 2.35:1 and then see if there is an aspect ratio control that will show everything in the frame, except vertically stretched so that it uses the full 16:9 panel. Basically, everybody is too tall and then a lens can be used to put them back to normal while still using all the pixels. If this does work, it would be interesting to hear whether it works with 480p, 720, and 1080i input. The X1 supported this for 16:9 to 4:3.

Thanks,
Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Old 06-17-2004, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

"Anyone familiar with the Benq PB2220?"

If you want xga benq, buy the PB6200 for $1200 (with rebate). It has a 3x color wheel (not 4) and no dvi. A it will project 16:9 images as 576p with black bars on the top and bottom. So more resolution and black bars and no DVI when compared to the 4805.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

darinp2, I believe Bob Williams confirmed there is a mode to stretch/crop a non-anamorphic widescreen to fit the 16:9 panel. Now, if my thinking is correct, that same mode would work to stretch/crop an anamorphic 2.35:1 to fill the 16:9 panel.

Maybe one of the new SP4805 owners could confirm that it works as I expect.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I won't be able to watch my 4805 until later, but if no one has answered this by then I'll let you know. I don't know how good a candidate the 4805 is for a panamorph however. The lens is recessed a pretty good distance inside the grill and the grill is curved. You're gonna have a tough time getting the panamorph close to the lens. I read of a member who could not use a panamorph on his Benq because of this same situation. The image was being cut off. I don't know enough about panamorphs to determine if the same issue would occur on the 4805.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:01 PM

I have been planning to setup a projector theater this year, and once the 4805 is available in Vancouver, BC, I think that I might have to pull the trigger.

What my post is about, is hooking up the projector with the rest of a home theater system. I am starting from scratch, buying a receiver, DVD player, projector and speaker package. I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect the projector into the system.

If I were to aquire a Yamaha 1400, with component upconversion and video switching, that seems like it would be the best solution. Leaving only a power and component video cable running up to the projector. However, I don't know if the hardware in the receiver will add noise and artifacts to the video image.

I will also be hooking up a PS2 to the projector through the receiver.

If I run everything to the projector (i.e. Progressive DVD, and interlaced Sat and PS2), then out through the component cable, will the Farojuda chip kick in automatically, or will I have to fiddle with the remote everytime I change sources?

Sorry if this post is a little incoherent... I just finished writing my last midterm this afternoon.

Loren.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

All of this talk about the unit is killing me. I hope I hear something from TVA**** soon. :)
Old 06-17-2004, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by darinp2
Sorry if somebody has already posted the answer to this, but does anybody know if the 4805 will do the internal stretching required to use an anamorphic lens like the Panamorph. The test of this is to display a 2.35:1 and then see if there is an aspect ratio control that will show everything in the frame, except vertically stretched so that it uses the full 16:9 panel. Basically, everybody is too tall and then a lens can be used to put them back to normal while still using all the pixels. If this does work, it would be interesting to hear whether it works with 480p, 720, and 1080i input. The X1 supported this for 16:9 to 4:3.
Darin,

I tested this out and the answer is yes. With an anamorphic 2.35:1 DVD, the Letterbox mode on the projector vertically stretched the image so that the entire 16:9 panel was used and everybody looked skinny. I only tested the 480i input however. Please see my above post for my concerns with using the panamorph however.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
technut

Letterbox mode does what you expect. It actually looks good(I don't think its just a vertical stretch...it looks like a blend of cropping and stretching..). Its hard to run it through its paces I keep stopping and getting absorbed in the movie....spent past 45minutes watchin LOTR kneeling next to the projector on a table.

Some negatives:

-Purple light spill. Down and to the right(on table). Doesn't seem to hit screen, I blocked it in darkness and it had no effect on still image on screen. I don't see a reason to block it, I don't think it will affect contrast. ..but its there.

-No real off switch. I will live

-Offset won't work with my 7' mounting area with size screen I want(92). I am reconsidering location or using table top mount.

Still extremely pleased, wasn't expecting perfect. Picture is still awesome. If HD doesn't look good with this there must be a problem with the HD Box.

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:10 PM

Why would a mode called "letterbox" not actually letterbox anything? Wouldn't it be better to call that mode "Fill" or "Anamorphic"?
Old 06-17-2004, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

That mode is for "letterbox" type widescreen DVDs (the non-anamorphic ones). If you watched the DVD normally, it would be a standard letterboxed movie. I don't think the naming of the mode is strange, it seems relatively intuitive.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:21 PM

I just ordered the 4805. Question: the light output is specified as 720 ANSI lumens, yet those of you that have the projector seem to feel it is exceptionally bright. How is that possible?
Old 06-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
One thread is all we need for this projector. You can find it here... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=414103

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness