Pg-m20x 2 year review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 68 Old 10-17-2009, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm quite convinced most issues this units develops has to do with high temperatures and weak cooling. Various components may do bad over time as a result of excessive heat. I think this units are really more suitable for presentations rather than movie watching, where the whole system works harder. I have flickering on both power save and no save modes. I attached a small CPU fan to the front on the unit, where no fan appears, flowing air inside, and I can watch with no issues for hours, as long as the power save is ON, but once I switch back to OFF it happens again. This is a bummer as with power save ON the picture is a bit dark for movie watching (but not at all for presentations). Can you recall how Sharp fixed this issue when it happened the last time ? any circuit board replaced at the time ? It would be great if you could find out and post this information !! (you might have your older emails with Sharp regarding this flickering issue).

I'm thinking about replacing the fans with stronger and quieter ones. These units must run with a better cooling system for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 AM

Anyone else please ?

I did a test yesterday where I removed the upper cover and put a fan over the machine and let it run in full power for an hour, with no issues. So it does seem that the flickering issue is heat related :/

Has anyone had his Sharp fixed and can recall how it got fixed ?

Thanks !
post #63 of 68 Old 10-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Problem appears to be solved. I found no less than a dead bee inside the projector, just between the lamp housing and the color wheel... The symptoms led to bad color wheel functionality theoretically, but it looked perfectly new inside. I assume that bee was extremely frying while the projector was in act, making the unit hotter, and having the fans blowing the dead insect over the color wheel while spinning... Of course I also cleaned all part from collected dust. Seems to be working fine now.

My conclusion about the PG-M20X - very sensitive to overheating !

I would recommend anyone who is having issues with this machine to have it cleaned and have all dust removed from all boards, if collected.
post #64 of 68 Old 11-11-2009, 04:31 AM

I have a PG-M25X with approximately 900 hrs on the lamp. The problem I'm having is the unit will turn on fine, but will intermittently shut down and cycle on and off. Some times after only a few minutes of use. The Lamp Light is blinking green, not red. When working, the image is perfect, no issue with color, brightness or clarity. I don't want to replace the lamp on a guess, especially since it is not exhibiting the indicators of a lamp issue. Any ideas?
post #65 of 68 Old 12-01-2009, 06:56 AM

I had an issue with the blinking red light when the unit is plugged in. I found the solution after having this sit on a shelf for 3 years. There is a relay on the board where the main power is supplied. I removed the relay and cleaned the contacts and it started right up. If anyone needs to know the exact location I can give details.
post #66 of 68 Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffG70 View Post

I had an issue with the blinking red light when the unit is plugged in. I found the solution after having this sit on a shelf for 3 years. There is a relay on the board where the main power is supplied. I removed the relay and cleaned the contacts and it started right up. If anyone needs to know the exact location I can give details.

Although my in my case it's a blinking Green light, I may still give it a try. Can you give me a little detail on how to disassemble and locate the relay. I attempted to open the case up once before by removing the three screws I could find on the underside of the case, but it did not want to open up. I did not want to damage anything so I did not force it, I thought there may be another screw, latch or release somewhere that I did not find. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
post #67 of 68 Old 12-02-2009, 08:13 AM

It looks as if relay RL701 on the main power board is the problem. I removed the cover of the relay and cleaned the contacts. Despite the contacts being worn down it worked great. I have ordered a new relay from Sharp for about $35 to replace it (part # 95CK3102AL001).

You will find relay RL701 on the same board that the power cord is connected to. There will be an aluminum heat sink on the board with a 1/4 x 3/4 black plastic box exposed through the heat sink. I unsoldered the relay and gently pried the sides apart and lifted the cover exposing the coil and contacts. I took some very fine sandpaper placed between the contacts and sanded both surfaces. I found my contacts were a little pitted and black.

I sent the unit to Sharp a few years ago for repair on the same issue. It worked about 3 weeks after that. They didn't do a very good job.

I hope this works for you.
post #68 of 68 Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 AM

Hi all

I am new to this site and have a sharp pg-m20x with the blinking red light problem. Nothing starts. I also removed the 3 screws to open it to check the relay. I could not open it. Can somone please tell me how to open it?

Thanks,
Henry Rancourt
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page