Closed Thread

post #91 of 99 Old 09-16-2004, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
"The flaw is that ambient light effects the picture on some projectors. "?
the truth is it affects all projectors and all display devices in different proportions. Projectors are the most affected and part of the answer is easy, you are trying to light up a larger area and so the light that comes from the screen per square inch is less then any other display. The other part is the screen, it is designed to be reflective and so it is just natural for it to also reflect the rest of the light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 09-16-2004, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Sony screen was on display at CEDIA and was very impressive. Check out the thread in the "Screens" forum for more info. The Sony people told me it will be available next summer at a price of about $2000 for a 100" diagonal screen.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #93 of 99 Old 09-16-2004, 12:30 PM
tba

Thats going to be a tough sell for the average enthusiast like me who can get a decent vynal screen with velvet frame for about $500 and just be carefull with lighting. Especially the people who have been trying to shop projectors for under $2000.
post #94 of 99 Old 09-16-2004, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

True, but if you either can't or don't want to provide light control in a room, it will make for a nice alternative. I would like to have a front projector in my family room, as well as the theater room, but I've got so many windows and openings to the family room that light control is near impossible without some major (and ugly) modifications. :(

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #95 of 99 Old 09-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Noah:

The reports about the Sony Black Screen were noted long before these posts, thankyou, and I'm a usual fan of the big "S"
I think though your anticipation is a bit premature on the real world result and of course the premium "S" price.
If one of the above posts quoting 2 Grand is correct, it will be a high price to pay for the sake of running a few lights.
Also 2 Grand in the States probably translates into very much more elsewhere.
History tells me you like to "niggle" at some of my posts, keep it up I don't mind a Battle Royale at times, but please be patient, I haven't handcuffs attaching me to a Computer, there is a life outside the "Keyboard"

Greetings from Singapore and the wonderful Orient, the healthy life, not tied to AVS (with due respect to most of the great members who visit here from "time to time"
post #96 of 99 Old 09-16-2004, 11:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Not to niggle about niggling, but when someone says

"Screen technology can only help very little"

in the face of the fact that everyone that I've seen says it helps a lot, is not niggling.

OTOH if I responded to every post where someone says something that seems way off base I'd be spending a lot more time here than I already do.

I guess I was just in a niggling mood:)

Noah
post #97 of 99 Old 09-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Still say the Aspect Ratio of your eyesight must resemble the monitor you peer into.
That's fine, each to his own and definitely no disrespect.
post #98 of 99 Old 10-26-2004, 11:49 PM

Anybody had the opportunity to view the HT410 and HT510 again since Mike's initial look.

The release of these machines must be soon. P/Central says Oct/Nov.

Guitarman, Any further info on the new 5 segment wheel which we now know turns at 2 times.

Taking a long hard look at the HT510 to be my first foray into projectors.
Should match my couple of hundred PAL discs to a tee.

Look forward to your replies

Waingro
post #99 of 99 Old 10-30-2004, 08:30 AM
tba

I saw the 510 again this week at a venue in NY. NEC had it in a small room shooting on the same screen as the HT1100. It was a white Stewart screen, think they said 1.3 gain and 92". They were showing DVD and some Windows MediaPlayer HD content. The 510 looked pretty good. Colors were pretty good, better than a unit with a 4 segment color wheel. The HT1100 looked better of course, with deeper blacks, more saturated color, and a smoother looking image that it is known for. I would guess the yellow segment in the 5 segment wheel helps video/movie content that should be run closer to 6500K. They said it ships in Nov. The 410 is shipping now in US. If you need to stay under $2K and are using it primarily for HT, I think it looks good. I would also suggest using a good progressive player as it does not have the video processing that is in the HT1100. Maybe a unit with the Faroudja FLi2310. It is also an attractive unit for people with low ceilings as it has the lens shift dial. If you can afford to move up to the HT1100, then do it, it still looks really good. (They did not have the anamorphic lens on it, probably due to position, it was sitting below the HT510 on another shelf) The room was not totally black, they had a plasma, with a curtain between to keep the light down for the projectors. They also would turn a couple of recessed lights on during conversations. The 510 hits a nice price performance point below the HT1100. The Windows MediaPlayer HD content looked great on both. If you are in the US and only need a unit for DVDs (480p), there is the HT410 and all the other units out there for $1500 that are 480p vertical res (also SP4805, etc..).
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page