OFFICIAL Sony HS50(51) thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5686 Old 09-20-2004, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone found availability on these yet? I just found out that through work its already in the system to be purcashed and while I realize that we can't post prices here, this price would be considered very very good. I just dont want to pick it up yet until some other people in the know have had time to play and test them. Once bought via work I have to deal with Sony only for any issues. So I guess my more appropriate question is, how long until we see some feedback/reviews on the new unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5686 Old 09-20-2004, 07:38 PM

Anybody know where the air intake/exhast is for the unit. If possible, I'd like to utilize the bookshelf behind me (possible with the longer zoom lens).

tks for any info

ron
post #183 of 5686 Old 09-20-2004, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone seen any hard info from Sony that indicates that the HS51 does indeed support a dynamic gamma function which would be coupled in some way to the auto iris.

The AE700 does this and I am interested as it would have an impact on PQ.

ted
post #184 of 5686 Old 09-21-2004, 12:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 465
I don't see how Sony could modulate an iris but not the gamma. The Sony folk I spoke with -- who were not technical -- agreed.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #185 of 5686 Old 09-21-2004, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

No pricing or availability info for Norway either, but it is listed as HS50 in their (Sony) systems here, as in Canada...

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #186 of 5686 Old 09-21-2004, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
I don't see how Sony could modulate an iris but not the gamma. The Sony folk I spoke with -- who were not technical -- agreed.

I'm sure you're right but I was hoping for some hard fast info on how its implemented.
Time to be patient.

Thanks though,
ted
post #187 of 5686 Old 09-21-2004, 09:04 AM

Just received some further info on the HS50. Apparently the key differences will be with respect to ethernet/usb connectivity (field/service center calibration?).
post #188 of 5686 Old 09-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi,
Does anyone know if Sony improved remote? I hope that there will be direct access to the various inputs.
Al
post #189 of 5686 Old 09-21-2004, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Furious
Just received some further info on the HS50. Apparently the key differences will be with respect to ethernet/usb connectivity (field/service center calibration?).

Can you expand on this?
Oh yeah - we in Canada don't use Broadband, we're still using dial-up via serial ports.

ted
post #190 of 5686 Old 09-21-2004, 12:51 PM

Not really much more info that I have. I believe the USB has something to do with changing the gamma.
post #191 of 5686 Old 09-21-2004, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Just out of curiosity ... does anyone have a photo/diagram of the back of this thing? Specifically the input panel?

I just took a look at the rest of the photos I took of it during CEDIA (including the HS51) ... POOP is the best description.
I am now realizing I may have been better off taking short (5-8 second) video clips of the projectors I was looking at rather than trying to take stills ... oh well, lesson learned.
post #192 of 5686 Old 09-21-2004, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
post #193 of 5686 Old 09-21-2004, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
This is just a question out of curiosity seeing as how I have never witnessed a variable iris projector in action. If the contrast was measured at complete black and complete white, wouldn't the image fall apart for say material that does not completely fill the screen, for instance, 2.35:1 or 4:3?

I have access to a DLP projector (NEC LT260K, so not geared for HT) and get rather annoyed that the black bars on wide screen material is noticeable in a darkened room. Imagine a bright scene that on 2.35:1 material, surely the black bars top and bottom would be a greyish colour? Similarly for 4:3 material the side bars would also be grey if the main material is bright which is common for a lot of tv material.

I am guessing that the demonstrations of the Sony have carefully selected demo material so as to not draw attention to the iris deficiencies in challenging and demaning conditions. Please correct me if I am way off base.

What would be even better would be an iris that can adjust on a per pixel basis but you may as well just focus on creating a new technology, something HT oriented.

It'd be great when one day there was one definitive technology which had in excess of 15000:1 CR, long bulb life, no screen burn, no focus issues, no convergence issues, automatic adjustment depending on lighting conditions, properly calibrated colour, multiple sync frequencies for those of us running pal and ntsc material, multiple resolutions... the list goes on... one can only dream.

Cheers...
Duy-Khang Hoang
post #194 of 5686 Old 09-22-2004, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I do not think that many find the black bars disturbing on bright material. It might be more of an issue with dark material but with such material the iris closes down and the light output is lower and the bars blacker.

With proper masking it it is not a problem at all.

Mattias Ohlson
post #195 of 5686 Old 09-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

The technology you speak of is called "living your life"

Quote:

Originally posted by hdkhang
It'd be great when one day there was one definitive technology which had in excess of 15000:1 CR, long bulb life, no screen burn, no focus issues, no convergence issues, automatic adjustment depending on lighting conditions, properly calibrated colour, multiple sync frequencies for those of us running pal and ntsc material, multiple resolutions... the list goes on... one can only dream.

Cheers...
Duy-Khang Hoang

post #196 of 5686 Old 09-22-2004, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

It said the 720P LCD panel is Sony's own production. I hope it's VB free...

The projector looks quite big, right?

regards,

Li On
post #197 of 5686 Old 09-22-2004, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Li On - If anyone can find VB in a projector, I would expect you can. So if you haven't pre-ordered yet, please do so...

As for size, it's probably no bigger than the Epson TW500.

Later,
Bill
post #198 of 5686 Old 09-22-2004, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
@biomed_eng_2000

LOL... too true...

Cheers...
Duy-Khang Hoang
post #199 of 5686 Old 09-22-2004, 11:40 PM

I got a question about home theater magazines. When I was talking to a dealer/cedia installer, he dismissed magazine reviews as paid advertisements to the manufacturers buy advertising in their magazines. I have been reading Sound & Vision, Perfect Vision, and Home Theater Mag. This installer was only interested in selling me Infocus DLP projector for $8k, when I have had my eye on the Sony HS20. I personally like the magazines.

Lonnie
post #200 of 5686 Old 09-23-2004, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

"...I'm ready for dream-time Mr. B."
post #201 of 5686 Old 09-23-2004, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Saw the HS-50 (yes, the display card next to it was marked HS-50 not 51, I double checked ) today setup quite poorly at the Sony Expo here in Sydney. Unfortunately, it was set up in the open floor area and not in a properly lighting controlled area. I didn't spend much time with it as my main game was seeing the Qualia which I missed out on anyway . It did seem brighter under the circumstances and easily could have beat my long gone 12HT's image. The unit was quite neat looking, interestingly it had manual keystone for horizontal and vertical adjustment of the image via wheels on the side.

post #202 of 5686 Old 09-23-2004, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lonniehansenjr
I got a question about home theater magazines. When I was talking to a dealer/cedia installer, he dismissed magazine reviews as paid advertisements to the manufacturers buy advertising in their magazines. I have been reading Sound & Vision, Perfect Vision, and Home Theater Mag. This installer was only interested in selling me Infocus DLP projector for $8k, when I have had my eye on the Sony HS20. I personally like the magazines.

Lonnie

i don't think anyone (besides those in the publishing business) truly knows the truth on this issue. i subscribe to about 7 industry mags and find them a good resource for information, but i do take their reviews with a grain of salt. not to say that they are totally influenced by advertising revenue, but when was the last time you saw a negative product review in sound and vision or home theater? i personally prefer the perfect vision because they seem to be pretty thorough and aren't afraid to not recommend a product (a scathing review of an RCA 34" comes to mind). stereophile's ultimate av is pretty good too. the problem with magazines, and this forum to a certain degree, is that people often want to buy what others tell them to without really trusting their own eyes and ears. i'm not saying that one shouldn't research to narrow down the choices (i spend WAY too much time reading mags and here!), but it ultimately is a personal choice and one that on one else can or should make. by the way, i can think of about 4500 reasons why the dealer would rather sell you the infocus over the sony (if he even carries the sony that is). in sum, use magazines and the internet for research, but make your own choice and don't look back!
post #203 of 5686 Old 09-24-2004, 09:58 AM

There is something new here?

In europe, a reseller will test it at the next week! It's a final version.
post #204 of 5686 Old 09-24-2004, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Li On

The projector looks quite big, right?

regards,

Li On

No the HS51 is actually more compact and solid looking than the HS10/20. I really like the new form factor. My HS10 just looks fragile with all the white plastic on top, even though its run like a champ for 2 years and 3500+ hours.
post #205 of 5686 Old 09-24-2004, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hdkhang
What would be even better would be an iris that can adjust on a per pixel basis

The technology does exist. Search the projector forums or the web for LED backlight or Sunnybrook Technologies. Once they are on the market, a bulb and an iris will be pretty much a history.
post #206 of 5686 Old 09-24-2004, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

Originally posted by HTCrazy
No the HS51 is actually more compact and solid looking than the HS10/20. I really like the new form factor. My HS10 just looks fragile with all the white plastic on top, even though its run like a champ for 2 years and 3500+ hours.

I also like the fact that the top is flat and looks like it could be flipped and placed on a shelf upside down.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #207 of 5686 Old 09-24-2004, 08:02 PM

HT Crazy

Since you have an above average hour count on your HS-10, do you notice any LCD degradation? My company has about 25 Canon LCD Data projectors (1 year old w/2.5k to 3.5k hours) and they are really starting to loose their blues.
post #208 of 5686 Old 09-24-2004, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Fidelity
i don't think anyone (besides those in the publishing business) truly knows the truth on this issue. i subscribe to about 7 industry mags and find them a good resource for information, but i do take their reviews with a grain of salt. not to say that they are totally influenced by advertising revenue, but when was the last time you saw a negative product review in sound and vision or home theater? i personally prefer the perfect vision because they seem to be pretty thorough and aren't afraid to not recommend a product (a scathing review of an RCA 34" comes to mind). stereophile's ultimate av is pretty good too. the problem with magazines, and this forum to a certain degree, is that people often want to buy what others tell them to without really trusting their own eyes and ears. i'm not saying that one shouldn't research to narrow down the choices (i spend WAY too much time reading mags and here!), but it ultimately is a personal choice and one that on one else can or should make. by the way, i can think of about 4500 reasons why the dealer would rather sell you the infocus over the sony (if he even carries the sony that is). in sum, use magazines and the internet for research, but make your own choice and don't look back!

I would also add that I've found contradicting reviews regarding the same piece (from different reviewers). In rare cases, a reviewer has even changed part of their review.

One of three things has to explain this.
1) Advertising forces better, softer reviews
2) Some reviews/reviewers are better that others
3) Equipment and/or opinions can result in different view points. (This means the equipment and person doing the review should be reviewed)!

To me, I read EVERY review I can -- including those from individuals. Look for the consistencies between ALL reviews in order to find absolute truths. Otherwise, you're just looking at one person's opinion.

gp
post #209 of 5686 Old 09-24-2004, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i have generally come to accept the fact that publishers need advertising money to survive. as a result i take great reviews as a sign of a good product and average reviews as a sign of a so so product.
post #210 of 5686 Old 09-24-2004, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Anthony L
HT Crazy

Since you have an above average hour count on your HS-10, do you notice any LCD degradation? My company has about 25 Canon LCD Data projectors (1 year old w/2.5k to 3.5k hours) and they are really starting to loose their blues.

No I haven't noticed any color degradation - in fact, ever since changing bulbs to the newer ones made for the HS20, color and color saturation have been noticeably improved. The most likely reason for the color degradation on your work Canon's would be old bulbs. Bulbs DO change the colors over their lifetimes. Has any of them had a bulb change lately?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page