post #631 of 922 Old 11-06-2005, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCroly View Post

Jeff,
I feel exactly as you. I would like to test my projector side by side with another to see if this problem is "just the way it is" or if there is something wrong with my particular projector. The fact that you describe the exact same thing, makes me less inclined to think it is something wrong with the projector. I notice this softness most on superimposed graphics, like the score of a ball game posted at the bottom of the picture. I was watching a basketball game in HD and it looked pretty good, but the score graphic looked soft and out of focus.

The cables might be the issue and I am going to get some new cables to do some testing. I am using inexpensive, 3 foot long, component cables to connect my HD cable box and my DVD player to the projector. The Tivo goes via S-video cable. But the Tivo PQ has always been soft compared to the cable box or DVD.

I was using a VGA breakout cable with a VGA to DVI adapter to connect the DVD player to the Z2. This was resulting in a pretty sharp picture, but for some reason the VGA input on the Z3 does not recognize the output from my DVD player the way the DVI input of the Z2 would.

I plan to get an up-converting DVD player that I will connect to the projector with HDMI, but I am waiting for the Panasonic S77 to be released in April.

Tom

I just got my projector and am having the same situation. Did anyone ever reply about a fix to this. For example: HD-Discover channel looks great. Football game - anytime the camera is zoomed out the players are very pixelized / fuzzy. DVD - Attack of the Clones - closeups are awesome - scenes shot at a distance are blurry. Sony Progressive scan DVD. New HDTV cable receiver. Any suggestions? Using component.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 922 Old 11-06-2005, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeelzebub View Post

It doesn't take a videophile to notice the Z3 has very poor reds. HDMI is really bad, they seem to be more orenge then red. If I adjust they become brown.

If you adjust WHAT? There is no way to adjust the color red with HDMI. That setting in the user menu that says RED... that's for WHITE BALANCE (i.e. how much red is in white), not color. And since HDMI should have digitally correct color decoding (i.e. the level of each color is transmitted as a digital value instead of being reconstructed from analog by the color decoder), there is no way to adjust the red saturation or hue in the service menu. Those tweaks are for analog connections only (component, S-video, composite, etc.). About the only solution you would have would be to reduce COLOR, though usually digital connections disable the color and tint controls (again, because the colors are digital values and not being reconstructed in the analog domain).

You might also consider that your source may be the problem in this case, not the Z3. Just a thought.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #633 of 922 Old 11-07-2005, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd239 View Post

Football game - anytime the camera is zoomed out the players are very pixelized / fuzzy.

I remember watching football and whenever a player runs I see pixelization around him. Isn't this macroblocking and is this a source problem or the pj problem. I do not think I am getting it now because I have a different hdtuner. I got to see MNF tonight to double check.
post #634 of 922 Old 11-07-2005, 01:17 PM

JD239,

I have same issue. The close-ups are superb. However, distant shots are little blurry. Someone suggested to adjust the focus with text displayed on the screen not with the movie playing, I am going to try that tonight. Let me know if you figure out solution to the problem.

Thanks,

PJ
post #635 of 922 Old 11-08-2005, 06:32 AM

Just wondering If anyone has tried a Red Color Intensifier filter. Something like this
http://www.adorama.com/HY62I.html
post #636 of 922 Old 11-08-2005, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Someone suggested to adjust the focus with text displayed on the screen not with the movie playing

This is how I have always adjusted my focus. It seems to give the best balance. Up close shots still look stunning and distant shots look good. I dial it in so I do not see SDE at 1:1.

Sometimes you reach what's real by making believe.
post #637 of 922 Old 11-08-2005, 05:15 PM

So, I've finally managed to motivate myself to take a screenshot. It was actually Finding Nemo that caused me to do it. In some of the ocean scenes, the fish have a faint halo around them, especially Marlin. This caused me some concern.

Here's a screenshot from a normal scene. I've tried using DVE to calibrate, but I've since stuck with the factory settings, I've only dialed down the sharpness to 0, and brought the Brightness on my Oppo to -3. Otherwise, everything's default. And It looks pretty good to me.
LL
post #638 of 922 Old 11-08-2005, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Beelzebub, I haven't seen that filter before, but it's interesting. One has to wonder how consistent the spectrum of that filter is though. Were ROne still tweaking the Z3, I'm sure he might find that interesting. Still, since ROne has been able to reach D65 with the CC30R filter, I think that's as good as it gets.

Finalheaven, I hate to say this... but many of the halos in Finding Nemo are there on the disc itself. In the underwater scenes, there's an intentional halo around the fish, which gets thicker and more diffuse depending on the level of light cast on them. I think that's just a creative choice by the filmmakers. Also keep in mind that you're scaling DVD resolution to 720p, which can make slight edging/halos worse than on the source, depending on the quality of the scaler. Unfortunately, a lot of it just comes down to the fact that you're scaling up a DVD to a big screen.

However, since you're running sharpness at 0, you might be exacerbating any existing edge enhancement. DVE is near worthless for adjusting sharpness, because it's too difficult to see any actual differences as you adjust. AVIA, on the other hand, has patterns which make it readily apparent which frequencies are being enhanced by the sharpness control. I run my sharpness at -4, because that's where the Avia pattern shows no white outlines around the thicker lines and no graying of the thinner lines. Considering that sharpness is usually zeroed to the same standard on all the Z3s, your unit should be similar. Try dialing it back to -3 or -4, and make sure TRANSIENT IMPROVEMENT is off (because that setting will show some slight edge enhancement).

Unrelated to the above, I recommend that you set any controls (Brightness, etc.) on the DVD player itself to their factory defaults. The goal is to let the source pass as unadulterated and pure a signal as possible. The only reason I would use the brightness control on the DVD player itself would be if the player has a known problem with white level clipping from the factory.

To the person who noted the softness of distant shots in Attack Of The Clones: That's part and parcel of the MPEG compression on the disc. As beautiful as that direct-from-digital transfer is, the variable bitrate compression does have its drawbacks, which is what you're seeing with that particular disc. Distant shots with larger patches of similar colors are compressed more by the encoder, resulting in a softer and less detailed image. Not much you can do about that. As to HD football games: Again, we enter into a possible artifact of scaling. Most HD football is broadcast in 1080i, which is being scaled to 720p by either the projector itself or your HD box (depending on how you have the output set). Because of this, you'll lose detail on smaller stuff, but close-up shots won't seem as bad because the scaler is given more to work with. Now, it could also be macroblocking as enier said, which would result in pixelation following a moving object. Again, this falls back to being a compression or signal issue from the source, not necessarily an issue with the projector.

As George Carlin says, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

post #639 of 922 Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 AM

Yeah thats true, I might still try it. I found some of my Dad's old filters (He was a photographer) and I found a Hoya Promaster Spectrum filter. I'm not positive but I think its some kind of adjustable UV filter, however when you put it front of the projector it allows you adjust the color spectrum. The problem is its a heavy filter so I need to find a better way to attach it. Though I was able to get some nice skintones and it seemed to impoove the contrast and black levels. I messed up when order the CC30R filter from B&H they have to special order so it will probably take a few weeks.
post #640 of 922 Old 11-09-2005, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
does anyone know where i can find a 1db attenuator? i live in TN. is this thing available at Radioshack? if not, can someone please point me to an online retailer?

thanks

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
post #641 of 922 Old 11-09-2005, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post

does anyone know where i can find a 1db attenuator? i live in TN. is this thing available at Radioshack? if not, can someone please point me to an online retailer?

thanks

partsexpress.com

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #642 of 922 Old 11-09-2005, 10:56 AM

As reported in dvd player forums to get correct video levels with oppo (analyzed with some equipment) using current firmware setting is -3 brightness and everything else default in player.
post #643 of 922 Old 11-10-2005, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Well party on then!

post #644 of 922 Old 11-18-2005, 12:01 PM

One simple question from a newbie;

Shall I set my Z3 with the settings that Jeremy recommends in post 213, now that I don't have any filters?
post #645 of 922 Old 11-18-2005, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus74 View Post

Shall I set my Z3 with the settings that Jeremy recommends in post 213, now that I don't have any filters?

I Did....do you have filters ordered?
post #646 of 922 Old 11-18-2005, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus74 View Post

Personally the best filterless settings I have found seem to be a bit of a secret although ROne has shared them. They do lack a contrast punch for which you need to get filters but they are D65 so the colouring is spot on. Fine tune brightness and contrast yourself:

Rone Natural 6500 +/- 150
Start with Natural preset - turn down lamp, adjust sharpness and set IRIS. I have settled on -52 for Iris, as without the filters you need help to get rid of panel leakage.
C: +6
B: -1
R: +9
G: -2
B: -4
Iris: -52
Gain R: +15
Gain G: +3
Gain: B: -9
Offset R: -15
Offset G: +2
Offset B: 0
Gammas: all 0
Overscan: 0

If you need some filters cheaply at cost/postage email or pm me.

Sanyo Z3.5 (Z3+LEE Filters!) Email me for z3.5 filters/instructions
post #647 of 922 Old 11-19-2005, 02:35 PM

[ Personally the best filterless settings I have found seem to be a bit of a secret although ROne has shared them. They do lack a contrast punch for which you need to get filters but they are D65 so the colouring is spot on. Fine tune brightness and contrast yourself:

Start with Natural preset - turn down lamp, adjust sharpness and set IRIS. I have settled on -52 for Iris, as without the filters you need help to get rid of panel leakage.

As a lurker here for some time I am embarassed to ask but hre goes. Is the first "C" and "B" listed in the list of tweaks mean Contrast and Brightness?? Or something else.
Split your gut if you need to!
I've plugged in all ROne's tweaks with the CC30R filters but there's always that nagging question about the first two inputs.
CHEERS

post #648 of 922 Old 11-19-2005, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacampbell View Post

As a lurker here for some time I am embarassed to ask but hre goes. Is the first "C" and "B" listed in the list of tweaks mean Contrast and Brightness?? Or something else.
Split your gut if you need to!
I've plugged in all ROne's tweaks with the CC30R filters but there's always that nagging question about the first two inputs.
CHEERS

Yes and yes

post #649 of 922 Old 11-21-2005, 10:22 AM

There is one thing I don't get. If I want my Z3 to show the film in OAR on my screen, I need to set the overscan to 10. Set like that the screen is perfectly filled when I play a movie with OAR 1.77:1.

How important for the quality of the picture is the overscan really? I don't want to change my setting.
post #650 of 922 Old 11-27-2005, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthalo View Post

Personally the best filterless settings I have found seem to be a bit of a secret although ROne has shared them. They do lack a contrast punch for which you need to get filters but they are D65 so the colouring is spot on. Fine tune brightness and contrast yourself:

I'm trying these out now, and I have to say. They are looking fantastic. I'll be adding a bit of brightness I think to give the screen a little more, well, brightness. lol.
post #651 of 922 Old 11-27-2005, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalheaven View Post

I'm trying these out now, and I have to say. They are looking fantastic. I'll be adding a bit of brightness I think to give the screen a little more, well, brightness. lol.

Yep thats the right approach, adjust br and cr yourself to suit yourself. Glad re-posting and highlighting the filterless settings was useful. Try some filters and you will be further impressed.

Hope everyones enjoying their Z3's? I am

Anyone using a xbox 360 on theirs yet? screenshots would be awesome!

post #652 of 922 Old 12-01-2005, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm running a 360 on mine... but screenshots would be difficult in anything but Madden's replay mode... or maybe PGR3's photo mode. It's hard to get a shot of anything in motion.

Or maybe my digital camera just sucks. Yeah, that's probably it.

But for the record, the 360 is AWESOME on a 92" screen!

post #653 of 922 Old 12-01-2005, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

I'm running a 360 on mine... but screenshots would be difficult in anything but Madden's replay mode... or maybe PGR3's photo mode. It's hard to get a shot of anything in motion.

Or maybe my digital camera just sucks. Yeah, that's probably it.

But for the record, the 360 is AWESOME on a 92" screen!

Jeremy I have a hidef connected original xbox - how much of a difference is it on say burnout revenge or 720p soul caliber? or in terms of the difference between your experience of the xbox and 360? they have just launched over here but very hard to get hold of. this is running it on the z3 of course (so we can stay on topic!!!)

post #654 of 922 Old 12-02-2005, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, moving from the original Xbox to the 360 is a MAJOR step up in 720p. I actually sold my original Xbox (after beating my last race in Burnout Revenge) a week before I got the 360... and the Z3 absolutely makes the 360 worth every penny. In fact, after seeing the screenshots of Burnout Revenge for the 360, I might have to buy the 360 version when it comes out.

The Xbox did some cheating to display the few games that were in 720p (like Soul Calibur and Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction). In SC, they had to letterbox the sides... and they were still using the same low-res textures as the 480p version, so there wasn't a massive improvement. IH:UD was widescreen in 720p, but the textures were still the same... so you honestly couldn't tell much of a difference. With the 360, the textures are made for hi-def resolutions... and also get bump-mapping, anti-aliasing, etc. In other words, the 360 on the Z3 really makes use of that 720p resolution, and you won't see any jagged lines like there were on the Xbox.

I'll try to snag some screenshots this weekend.

post #655 of 922 Old 12-02-2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

Oh, moving from the original Xbox to the 360 is a MAJOR step up in 720p. I actually sold my original Xbox (after beating my last race in Burnout Revenge) a week before I got the 360... and the Z3 absolutely makes the 360 worth every penny. In fact, after seeing the screenshots of Burnout Revenge for the 360, I might have to buy the 360 version when it comes out.

The Xbox did some cheating to display the few games that were in 720p (like Soul Calibur and Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction). In SC, they had to letterbox the sides... and they were still using the same low-res textures as the 480p version, so there wasn't a massive improvement. IH:UD was widescreen in 720p, but the textures were still the same... so you honestly couldn't tell much of a difference. With the 360, the textures are made for hi-def resolutions... and also get bump-mapping, anti-aliasing, etc. In other words, the 360 on the Z3 really makes use of that 720p resolution, and you won't see any jagged lines like there were on the Xbox.

I'll try to snag some screenshots this weekend.

Jeremy, I don't think I'm the only one when I say: We're WAITING! For those screenies.
post #656 of 922 Old 12-07-2005, 09:10 AM

Hi Guys,

Recently had the "tweakit" fever again.. A while back I was using Kodak gel filters and didn't like the results. Decided to give it another go and my filters were pretty dusty/fingerprints. So I washed 'em - BAD idea! I thought they were going to melt before my eyes. They dried out ok but now they are horrible deformed. Just a warning to anyone with these types of filters considering cleaning them =p

Anyways, I ordered some Lee filters and hopefully they'll be here today. I always had a problem with my Kodak ones warping anyways, messing up my focus, so hopefully these won't do that.

After going to the theatre I had this idea to make "curtains" for the top and bottom for 2.35:1 movies. So I bought some black sheets and velcro, cut it to size and attatched it to my screen and WOW! Movies in that aspect ratio looked a lot better. No more black blending in with the top/bottom "black" bars - this always bothered me for some reason. It made the image much more defined. Also, to me, it made the blueness in the blacks look less noticeble, not sure why, maybe I'm just nuts.

Can't wait to give the Lee filters a go.
post #657 of 922 Old 12-07-2005, 11:59 PM

Hi there,

i was tweaking my Z3, also using some service menu tweaks. Now i've heared, that i've lost the warranty, cause Sanyo can see, if anyone entered the service menu! is there any chance to reset this?
post #658 of 922 Old 12-10-2005, 03:02 AM

Hey guys,
got myself a Lee Filter CC30R and I'm using Rone's spider settings but after maybe a week colors looked bad again, and guess what, the damn filter just burned. It gots heavily discolorated where the picture pass through. (and I'm using the lamp in eco mode)
Do you guys know any better filter? I was thinking of buying a glass filter but those are insanely expensive
post #659 of 922 Old 12-13-2005, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewisuri View Post

Hi there,

i was tweaking my Z3, also using some service menu tweaks. Now i've heared, that i've lost the warranty, cause Sanyo can see, if anyone entered the service menu! is there any chance to reset this?

There was a counter on the Z2's service menu, but I don't know that the Z3 has one. I recently had an issue with my Z3 and I straight-up told Sanyo what I had done in the service menu and why, and they didn't say anything about the warranty being voided. They went out of their way to help me out, in fact. That said, I wouldn't go mucking about in the service menu at random, because there are quite a few ways to completely hose your projector in there. If you do something silly like reset the panel alignment to zero or mess with any voltage levels, that might be an issue with Sanyo that they wouldn't want to cover under warranty. If you're just talking about the tweaks listed here for the color decoding, I wouldn't stress over it.

And I know people are still waiting for some 360 screens... but I've been too busy playing the thing! I'll do my best to get some shots this weekend though, I promise!

post #660 of 922 Old 12-14-2005, 09:35 AM

I have two problems with my Z3...

The biggest problem is that the picture is red on the right side and green
on the left side, I've noticed that others have the same problem. Is there
any solution to this?

My DVD is a Samsung HD850 connected to the Z3 with HDMI, I use the
resolution 720p. The problem is that I can's adjust the color level, only
R,G and B separately. The option isn't even greyed out, its just not there
anymore. It worked fine with my old DVD player witch was connected with
component. I have tried all these settings om my HD850:
-RGB-Normal: HDMI/DVI Limited Range RGB data output
-RGB-Expand: HDMI/DVI Full range RGB data output
-YCbCr-(4:4:4): HDMI Limited range output
-YCbCr-(4:2:2 HDMI Limited range output

Nothing works. Any ideas? Please help...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Sanyo Plv Z3000 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - Z3000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page