anyone with panasonic l300u and momitsu v880d? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-13-2004, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi -

i've been reading this forum, searching the web, and poring over the users manuals for the answer to this....

i have a panasonic l300u. i just bought the momitsu v880dlx and a DVI cable since i heard so much good about the DVI/upscaling DVD players.

then i noticed that the l300u only has certain resolutions it can support via the DVI cable (VGA480, WIDE480, SVGA, WIDE600, XGA, WIDE768) - none of them 1080i, but . i also noticed that none of these are multiples of the projectors native 1/4 HD resolution (960x540) - they seem to be computer-like resolutions. the manual lists these resolutions with only an "A" rating for the picture, not a "AA" (that is reserved for the 1080i over component or RGB) because "signals are converted by the image processing circuit" - none are multiples of the native rez so interpolation has to be done.

SO, before i go and buy more unnecessary cables, can anyone tell me - given the choice of:
1) skipping the D-A and A-D by using DVI cables BUT a non-native resolution
2) using component cables and thus going thru the conversions but using the 1080i which is a multiple of the native resolution
3) same as (2) but an RGB cable

which should give me the better picture? thanks for any help....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-13-2004, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I remember that there was quite a bit of talk about the 300 and momitsu combo awhile back. Try searching the archives for more info. If you can't find anything I would suggest 1080i over component. I don't think that the dvi input will let you upscale at 1080i...not hdcp compliant.

JVC HD 250
Benq 1070
B&W
Onkyo
Hsu Research
post #3 of 7 Old 12-13-2004, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One person prefferred "wide768" when tested vs. DVI->VGA @ 1080i.
Another liked the DVI->VGA better.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=momitsu

Apparently, no one has ever developed perfect 1:1 mapping for this combo, despite much trying. "Kwok Lau" is a member that uses this combo, and likes the DVI input, but I don't know what setting he uses. Try PM'ing him.

You could try 1080i via component. My (older) Momitsu allows that, I'm guessing the newer one still does also. You'd lose the all-digital signal path, but the trade off for perfect 1/4 res might be beneficial. A component cable doesn't cost much. The newer Momitsu has a dedicated component DAC, so it might be a good choice now.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-13-2004, 10:45 AM
cc2

"The newer Momitsu has a dedicated component DAC, so it might be a good choice now."

I would agree with this. My momitsu was the "older" version. The new dedicated DAC may help to remove the "frills" at higher frequencies seen on the AVIA patterns. Good luck.

BTW: I still happy with this combinaison. Also, the "same frequency panel adjustment" really help VB in my case.

Regards
post #5 of 7 Old 12-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
cc2,

"BTW: I still happy with this combinaison. Also, the "same frequency panel adjustment" really help VB in my case."

Can you go into more depth on this please. I would really like to improve the VB on my unit.

JVC HD 250
Benq 1070
B&W
Onkyo
Hsu Research
post #6 of 7 Old 12-13-2004, 05:24 PM
cc2

I think it is in the ":AE700 Tweak Thread". Someone suggest to do the flickers adjustment according to the number achieve with the green panel. ie: if the green panel stop flickering at "73", we should set the others panel at the same number. Some report no change in VB but It works for me. I use to see them really often but it seems fine now since it didn't bother me for a long time. Does not cost anything to try.

:)
post #7 of 7 Old 12-13-2004, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

wow - thanks for the pointers to the threads - i fully assumed this had to have been discussed in avsforum. (i did search, i swear...i've always found the searching function here to be problematic - i'll be reading a thread one minute, then do a search the next minute with terms i was just reading...and get no results?!?! hmmm....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page