The Panny Arrives!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 98 Old 01-12-2005, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Panasonic AE700 has finally arrived and quite frankly, I can't stop smiling. I'm shooting a 106" HCCV screen with a 9 ' viewing distance, and it's more than watchable-it's fantastic....I'm gonna finish up the trim in the room by the weekend, then I'll move the sound system in...I'm at a loss for words..Is that a tear rolling down my cheek??

:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 01-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine gets here tomorrow
post #3 of 98 Old 01-12-2005, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

106" at 9'!!

Man that smoothscreen technology must be really something.

Congratulations.
post #4 of 98 Old 01-12-2005, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I lied. I just took a tape measure to my seat and it's about 10' form a 106" screen. At this distance you will see some pixels/aliasing-but it's hardly worth mentioning.. I mean I haven't seen digital media yet where I don't see any pixels..but then again I don't watch my movies a kilometer away either ..and as for screendoor-what screen door??? :P

I'm luvin it....
post #5 of 98 Old 01-12-2005, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Closest I can sit to my 106" screen with my Panny 700 is 14'. even that seems a little close.
I envy you.
post #6 of 98 Old 01-12-2005, 07:49 PM

What is the PJ to screen difference that you are using? My AE700 comes next week and I am trying to do a 110" screen with a 11'3" PJ to screen distance.
post #7 of 98 Old 01-12-2005, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I only set it up temporarily on a stack of boxes. I figure the projector was about 11-11 1/2' from the screen. When I finish the back shelf, it should be about 12' from the screen.
post #8 of 98 Old 01-12-2005, 07:59 PM

hmm interesting post. i thought i was maybe going crazy but here goes. i have used my panasonic 3 times so far.last night was the first time i got to use it with high def direct tv. the first two nights i used it with my computer to watch dvds and a upconverting dvd player.the first 2 nights i thought i had found the most amazing picture ever. i watched lor the return of the king and actually gasped.i was watching from about 12 ft away and had the picture on a dirty white wall.then i got the high def dish. what can i say except .....HOLY $*%$ i watched a movie in high def and then a couple shows one was a worse race and another about golf resorts. i have no interest in golf but couldnt stop watching.i blew the picture up to 12 ft wide.i can measure becouse i have those 2by 4 dropped cieling tiles.the room is totally dark.with thehigh def signal i could sit within 8 ft of the image but it was too close.it is like watching a tennis match.i could easily sit 10 ft away and its better than at the movie theater.IMAGINE WHAT IT WILL BE LIKE ON A REAL SCREEN . my only shock after looking at this is that its not in more houses.it blows away the 70 inch sony rear projection i was about to buy.this sunday im watching the patriots play the colts. although i hope my pats win..i almost dont care.im glad someone else is as blown away as me becouse i thought i had become unhinged.becouse i just moved in to a new home i have a million things to do .ofcourse the wife is pushing to get everything done. but some night soon im going to watch some of the classic movies like THE WIZARD OF OZ and CASABLANCA
il jut sit back and enjoy .i truly am amazed .look for my new post soon about why now is the time to buy a projector.you guys who own one are about to be amazed at what is coming your way soon

sorry, due to insurance concerns your children may not skate on my pond
post #9 of 98 Old 01-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rday1960
hmm interesting post. i thought i was maybe going crazy but here goes. i have used my panasonic 3 times so far.last night was the first time i got to use it with high def direct tv. the first two nights i used it with my computer to watch dvds and a upconverting dvd player.the first 2 nights i thought i had found the most amazing picture ever. i watched lor the return of the king and actually gasped.i was watching from about 12 ft away and had the picture on a dirty white wall.then i got the high def dish. what can i say except .....HOLY $*%$ i watched a movie in high def and then a couple shows one was a worse race and another about golf resorts. i have no interest in golf but couldnt stop watching.i blew the picture up to 12 ft wide.i can measure becouse i have those 2by 4 dropped cieling tiles.the room is totally dark.with thehigh def signal i could sit within 8 ft of the image but it was too close.it is like watching a tennis match.i could easily sit 10 ft away and its better than at the movie theater.IMAGINE WHAT IT WILL BE LIKE ON A REAL SCREEN . my only shock after looking at this is that its not in more houses.it blows away the 70 inch sony rear projection i was about to buy.this sunday im watching the patriots play the colts. although i hope my pats win..i almost dont care.im glad someone else is as blown away as me becouse i thought i had become unhinged.becouse i just moved in to a new home i have a million things to do .ofcourse the wife is pushing to get everything done. but some night soon im going to watch some of the classic movies like THE WIZARD OF OZ and CASABLANCA
il jut sit back and enjoy .i truly am amazed .look for my new post soon about why now is the time to buy a projector.you guys who own one are about to be amazed at what is coming your way soon

I love hearing post like this. I hope when mine gets here tomorrow, i will enjoy it as much as you do... God bless you sir and enjoy, I know I will
post #10 of 98 Old 01-12-2005, 08:28 PM

agreed with rell
good to see some positive feedback on this PJ
i cant wait to get mine up and running
post #11 of 98 Old 01-12-2005, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally posted by mystery
Man that smoothscreen technology must be really something.

Congratulations.
92 inches WIDTH from abt 110 inches away. And yeah, it does look pretty good! :)
post #12 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 06:05 AM

Well, I have been torn between the AE700U and the HS51.

When I called to order the HS51 from one of the forum sponsors, they informed me that the units were backordered and that I could be 18th on a list.

The salesman then sold me on trying out the Panny, so I anxiously await its arrival (today, according to UPS).

From the sounds of things on this thread (and some others), it sounds like I won't be disappointed.

I can't wait!
post #13 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by almostgoth
My Panasonic AE700 has finally arrived and quite frankly, I can't stop smiling. I'm shooting a 106" HCCV screen with a 9 ' viewing distance, and it's more than watchable-it's fantastic....I'm gonna finish up the trim in the room by the weekend, then I'll move the sound system in...I'm at a loss for words..Is that a tear rolling down my cheek??

:)
So, have you decided on a first "official" movie for when the sound is setup and everything is more or less in place? This is a very important consideration!

James

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity. You can't take the sky from me.
post #14 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 06:33 AM

hmm very good point - it will have to be something like Matrix or LOTR
post #15 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Matrix has a green cast to it which may not be the best sensory experience for colors.

You can't go wrong with LOTR or any of the Austin Powers films or Fifth Element (especially the new one just released in Superbit).

Wayne
post #16 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 08:50 AM

well, i would also suggest if you are using a computer as a source to try one of the hddvds. that will show you what your projector is really capable of showing.also if you have high def satalite dish try one of the 720 p or 1080i channels. with those you can really sit close . lor return of the king though is somthing . and let us know which setting you like the best. i love the cinema 2 . its so damn film like it freaks me out

post #17 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

my first showing with my friends is gonna be ROTK;EE which I have held out on watching, or Spiderman 2
post #18 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 09:22 AM

omg rel i watch retun of the king for the first time on mine too. and i bought spiderman 2 and am going to watch it with my wife in a couple days.there is a scene in return of the king with gollom that i actually gasped at. i could not get over both the quality of the image and ..well..gollum...i say he should win the award for best actor

post #19 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I think the first real showing is going to have to be ROTK EE. I've also got the standards -5th element superbit, Finding Nemo ......but choosing movie number 2 will be more difficult. Maybe something in 16:9 format-Open Water?
post #20 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 02:21 PM

Hey Almostgoth,

I am pretty new to the board and just getting ready to buy a Pano 700 (I get my screen this week).

I noticed you are in Canada (as am I). If you purchased this side of the border I am hoping that you can let me who you bought it from ( I don't think you can talk about prices on this board?). I am just trying to research some good sources in Canada. There isn't much retailers that sell PJs on the west coast.

Johnny
post #21 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

any pics?
post #22 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

OK, this sucks... My new AE700 is sitting in my car as I type, but I am at work now untill 730pm tonight, and then have to drive a half hour to UPS to go pick up my HDMI cable (already tried to deliver it twice, but I am not there to sign, damn signiture required)... so wont get to miss with it, but god I want to, and tomororw night is official Date Night with my GF and cant get out of that.... Man, its killing me... Will post pics this weekend
post #23 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigger
Hey Almostgoth,

I am pretty new to the board and just getting ready to buy a Pano 700 (I get my screen this week).

I noticed you are in Canada (as am I). If you purchased this side of the border I am hoping that you can let me who you bought it from ( I don't think you can talk about prices on this board?). I am just trying to research some good sources in Canada. There isn't much retailers that sell PJs on the west coast.
I hear ya on that one. I would also love a panny 700. While there seems to be prices in the states of 1999 at places...here in Canada I can't seem to find any panny dealers, and the ones that do sell it, it's 4000 Canadian bucks???? Wow. Meantime, I can get a infocus 5000 for less then 2grand Canadian with a REAL warranty but obviously it's not quite as good. If you find any good canadian panny dealers online, let me know

usenet42@hotmail.com
post #24 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Ballentine
Closest I can sit to my 106" screen with my Panny 700 is 14'. even that seems a little close.
I envy you.
Is this for 1.78 or 2.35 material?

I guess I should consider myself lucky as well. Screen height not width, for me is what determines the sense of scale - we see wider than higher and I think because of this limitation in the vertical direction our perception tells us that height is what determines size - its beyond our immediate view.

Anyway, for me this sense of 'bigness' occurs at around 1.4 to 1.5 screen widths. I believe the Panasonic allows for reasonable viewing up to about 1.2 to 1.3 in my case. I've set up a constant height system which the zoom allows. With 1.78 ratio source my front row is about 1.5 screen widths. With 2.35 material that puts it at about 1.3 which is still watchable in my view - plus I retain that sense of scale I'm after.

Mid to long term I might couple it with a Prismasonic to regain the pixels and the brightness and should further smooth the image.

ted
post #25 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 07:24 PM

i have a weird feeling that everyone here doesnt really have the same machine.im wondering if there are more differences than just the firmware or flash upgrades in this thing.perhaps some have better convergence and alignment as well. perhaps even the quality of the lcds might differ from machine to machine

post #26 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

For all those that asked, I purchased the Panny from the hosts of this forum. Ask em for their pricing.
post #27 of 98 Old 01-13-2005, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by REL77
OK, this sucks... My new AE700 is sitting in my car as I type, but I am at work now untill 730pm tonight, and then have to drive a half hour to UPS to go pick up my HDMI cable (already tried to deliver it twice, but I am not there to sign, damn signiture required)... so wont get to miss with it, but god I want to, and tomororw night is official Date Night with my GF and cant get out of that.... Man, its killing me... Will post pics this weekend
LOL Hey after playing with my projector, I had to pack it up again, while I finish the room...Hopefully I'll be able to set it up again for good on Saturday...I feel your pain...

I'll post some pics when everything's set up properly.
post #28 of 98 Old 01-14-2005, 05:29 AM

Mine just arrived last night, and like you my room isn't completely finished (close, but not quite).

I am still awaiting my new DVD player (giving the 2910 a shot), but just to try it out, I plugged in a really old Sony (560 I believe) with the PJ on the box it came in and projecting to a flat black wall.

WOW. Without making any adjustments as of yet and shooting to a screenless wall, I was really impressed with the picture. Unfortunately, I only had about 20 minutes to play with it.

Hopefully, my room will be done in the next couple weeks, with the chairs being the last to arrive. I can't wait to see how it looks on a screen!
post #29 of 98 Old 01-14-2005, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

I got to play with mine for abou 20 Min last night, hooked up HD cable and my DVD player, and out of the box, it looked great (saw a little VB on some desert scenes from Star Wars) but for a completely untweaked FP, it was great, way better than the SP5000 looked I had for about a week
post #30 of 98 Old 01-14-2005, 08:23 AM

lol im just loving seeing these posts.wait till you guys see hdtv on this baby.sunday i want the pats game in high def . AND AT 12 feet W I I D E

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page